The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entrepreneurship Website

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Hello everyone,

I would need some advice. I've joined this forum two months ago after reading MJ's book. I didn't make anything or start since then. I've spent all of my reading and doing research on different subjects I did know a little bit or didn't know at all. I've read a couple of books, hundreds or even thousands of articles, comments and stories.

I've found a lot of stuff about different entrepreneurs like Pat Flynn, Dane Maxwell or Allen Wong, just to name a few. They all have different stories and interesting approaches and a lot can be learned from them. One of the things I discovered is that a lot more people than I originally thought have interest in entrepreneurship.

I want to create an informational website which would regroup all these stories about different entrepreneurs and their approaches. Since I have never done anything, this would be a great experience to see how well would it work and to learn more about web development, traffic, SEO etc. from practical knowledge. If it starts well, I would implement other features as well.

My main question to you is: Do I need to ask all these entrepreneurs for a permission to write about them, or there is no problem since it would be giving them kind of a promotion and maybe new audiences?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
My main question to you is: Do I need to ask all these entrepreneurs for a permission to write about them, or there is no problem since it would be giving them kind of a promotion and maybe new audiences?

Disclaimer: No one except an attorney can give you legal advice, and please don't take my opinion as legal advice.

If you can get someone's permission, that's always the best route to take.

My question for YOU is: What kind of value are you going to provide on this website that I couldn't get by visiting the blog or listening to the podcast of the original entrepreneur? I like Pat Flynn and I like reading his blog. Why would I read your blog about him instead of reading his own words? Just something to think about.

I'm 100% behind you on the idea of getting a project started where you can learn those skills that you mentioned. That said, it's best if you aren't spinning your wheels - it will be a lesson in futility instead.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
My question for YOU is: What kind of value are you going to provide on this website that I couldn't get by visiting the blog or listening to the podcast of the original entrepreneur? I like Pat Flynn and I like reading his blog. Why would I read your blog about him instead of reading his own words? Just something to think about.

Funny you should mention that, one of the first things that popped into my head was: Sh** Pat already does this and his podcasts are amazing.

On the other side, you need to listen to his podcasts which are between 30 minutes and 1 hour long. He has done a total of 176 podcasts and if we take that the average duration is approx. 45 minutes, then you would need 132 hours to listen to them all.
Pat also doesn't write a lot about people he interviews, just gives a brief summary about the person and the podcast. Not everyone will want to do that.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I've done nothing in this space, but in my opinion, you would only need permission if you were going to use any of their content. If you're writing your own personal view on their stuff, then I wouldn't imagine so. Not really sure where you are headed with the idea, but in general, I think some of this stuff is kind of overdone. It seems like everyone through my analysis paralysis studies all repeat the same stuff over and over. They all interview the Flynns, Wongs, and so forth. Also seems like everyone is becoming/has become a life coach that repeats the same stuff to the point where it's not really original. Maybe that's the pathway to success...people who can't come up with something creative use their motivation to bring out the creativeness in others. I digressed a bit, but I don't see what's wrong with asking them for permission. Not only does it keep you in good graces and avoid any copyright, you might get a mention in one of their blog entries or the like. Surely you will be doing some affiliate stuff and linking to their sites, so you might as well just shoot them a note and/or get your own personal interviews to use.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I've done nothing in this space, but in my opinion, you would only need permission if you were going to use any of their content.

I wasn't thinking about using any of their content. It would be just like an entrepreneurial database so to say, with short biography, how they started and a link to their website/forum/academy.

Not really sure where you are headed with the idea, but in general, I think some of this stuff is kind of overdone. It seems like everyone through my analysis paralysis studies all repeat the same stuff over and over. They all interview the Flynns, Wongs, and so forth. Also seems like everyone is becoming/has become a life coach that repeats the same stuff to the point where it's not really original.

I didn't intend to interview any of them, this type of information can easily be gathered across the Internet. And almost everything content based is overdone. I didn't mean to be a life coach either. I have a lot of negative life experience and would like to be a motivational speaker, but I need to accomplish something in order to have credibility and that's something I'm pretty aware of.

Maybe that's the pathway to success...people who can't come up with something creative use their motivation to bring out the creativeness in others.

There are a lot of pathways to success, not just one one.

I digressed a bit, but I don't see what's wrong with asking them for permission. Not only does it keep you in good graces and avoid any copyright, you might get a mention in one of their blog entries or the like.

I never said that it was wrong. All of them are pretty busy people who get tons of e-mail. I just thought about that fact before deciding to bother them.

I would like to thank you both for providing some opinions on this matter and for answering my question. I think you are right. However I would still like to do this someday, not necessarily to monetize it.

As for providing a value, I have an idea which targets mainly immigrants and people who want to get involved with them and help them, so I think I will go with it instead. I am still developing all the details possible so if I have any questions I will create a new post.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.