The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Fianceè and I Left Our Jobs to Pursue Our Dreams

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

eglassman88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 17, 2013
Hey Everyone!

Been a member / lurker for a couple years... these forums are pure gold if you take the time to read them and do your research. My fianceè and I have been dabbling in small eCommerce businesses on and off for the past few years, however we never "took the leap", until just recently.

Ever since the two of us met, all we ever wanted to do was start our own company. For financial purposes, we had both pursued day jobs... but as you can imagine, they were not very fulfilling. We knew we had to make a change in order for our dreams to become reality so we started saving all of our money... buying nothing more than we needed. Over the past 5 years of saving, we racked up a good amount of cash. The amount of money we saved would not be enough to cover leisurely expenses, but it would be enough to live... enough for us to purse our dreams and become an entrepreneur. We knew the journey was going to be difficult, but in the end very rewarding. Below is our journey.

My fianceè, Amber is a huge fan of women's jewelry and fashion. We did some market research on what was selling, and what wasn't and from there decided to jump right into it. We spent many nights coming up with designs and sketching them out. When we finally settled on our initial designs, it was time to find a manufacturer.

Since we were a startup, with very little capital, our initial plan was to have our jewelry manufactured overseas, in China. We found a manufacturer on Alibaba, sent our sketches over and within two weeks had samples sent out. To our disappointment, the products were not what we had expected... there were tons of QC issues and the pieces just did not fit our standards. Knowing very little about the jewlery manufacturing industry and the other resources available to us, we continued to try and make it work with this specific overseas manufacturer, but the lack of communication, understanding, and passion for our brand was just not there.

After conducting some further research, we decided we were going to bring back our manufacturing to the US. We located a great, highly reputable manufacturer who did everything in house and could do exactly what we were looking for. They took great interest in our brand, and even provided suggestions and recommendations based on industry best practices. As an added bonus, communicating with them was a breeze :)

The design process was pretty straight forward and well put together. Once we provided them with all of our designs and samples that we received from China, they converted them to CAD files. Once we approved the CAD files, they printed 3D wax models. Upon approving the wax models, they then sent us the completed plated sample for final approval. This streamlined process allowed us to develop products both efficiently and effectively.

As we all know, entrepreneurship involves a great amount of multi-tasking :) As our product was being being developed we always made sure we working on other things to help further the business along. During this time, we had all of our packaging needs ( boxes and drawstring bags ) customized with our logo. We also had befriended a developer a few years back- who was willing to take on our new eCommerce site- we sketched this design out and included all of the functionality we were looking for. We also took a ton of photography photos to implement on our website as well as incorporate on our social media accounts.

All in all, it took about 18 months to take our idea from conception to reality.... we officially launched our eCommerce website yesterday, and it's one of the best feelings in the world. Our goal is to eventually become a lifestyle brand that sells women's clothing, accessories, home goods, etc.

In addition to quitting our day jobs, we also made another big change as we moved from NJ to Austin, TX. We did a lot of research and found that the market for women's jewelry is incredible...there are a lot of fairs, shows, boutiques, etc. where we can sell our products. Quitting our "comfortable" jobs and leaving our home has been a bit scary and a huge risk for both of us, but we're confident in our product and we're going to work as many hours as it takes, learn as much as we can, and just hustle, hustle, hustle.

Sales are slowly coming in and we're exploring new avenues to market out product online. Here's what we're doing now / what we are working on implementing:
  • Facebook Advertising
  • Google Adwords
  • Reaching out to influencers on social media to promote our products (we think this is going to be a big one for us)
  • We're looking into retargeting ads on Facebook
  • Fairs, Popup shops, etc.
  • Also plan on reaching out to some larger retailers to do trunk shows
We would love any and all marketing ideas or input. Hopefully someone can learn from me and I know I can learn from all of you.

The website url is — www.bryananthonys.com - feedback is appreciated and please, be critical :)

On a side note - I really wanted to post our progress from conception up until this point, but unfortunately with our day jobs and spending all of our "free time" working to get the business up and running, I wasn't able to. With that said, our story begins here...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Sounds like you guys are well on your way. Congrat on moving from the wantrepreneurs of the world to the fully fledged entrepreneurs! Only taken a quick glance at your website and love the angle / styling of the photos. It definitely fits well with the demographic you're targeting from what I've seen from similar businesses. Only one thing I'd immediately suggest is allowing people to zoom in on the photos. I know you have a lightbox feature, but with things like jewellery people really love to be able to take a closer look at the detailing.

I noticed that your social media is relatively low in terms of audience at the mo. There's definitely a lot of potential with Instagram to reach out to the female beauty / fashion bloggers to spread the word about your products whether its through giving away some products or paying for ads. Equally if there are other brands offering a similar style you should consider starting to follow and interact with them.

Great that you've claimed your Youtube page, I'd consider adding some content there if only because there are equally a lot of female vloggers on there talking about beauty and fashion that again it's a chance to get some exposure to big relevant audiences. You could obviously get them to link direct to your website, but audiences on Youtube are undoubtedly visual types who love video so even if it's just some unboxing / product showcase style videos it gives something to further entice them to want to buy. I am however far from a video marketing expert and I'm sure many in here will have much brighter ideas than that!

eglassman88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it! Also, thanks for the suggestions. We've looked into the zoom feature for our images before and have still been considering it. We'll revisit this again asap. The pictures took forever because we knew NOTHING about photography. Happy to hear they turned out nice.

A video is in the works too :). We definitely want to tap into that crowd.

eglassman88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Feb 17, 2013
Can’t believe I posted this over 4 years ago.. my wife and I have grown from her and I in our studio apartment to a 25,000 sq ft warehouse / office space, 58 employees and over 20 million in revenue this year. I was doing some googling and saw a link to the forum and wanted to come back and read my original post. I just want to let every future entrepreneur out there know that with persistence, creativity and hard work - everything is possible. What a wild ride it has been, but we wouldn’t change anything!

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France
Can’t believe I posted this over 4 years ago.. my wife and I have grown from her and I in our studio apartment to a 25,000 sq ft warehouse / office space, 58 employees and over 20 million in revenue this year. I was doing some googling and saw a link to the forum and wanted to come back and read my original post. I just want to let every future entrepreneur out there know that with persistence, creativity and hard work - everything is possible. What a wild ride it has been, but we wouldn’t change anything!
Amazing!!
How much profit did you make?

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
holy moly dude, got chills reading this.

I'm sure you guys had a ton of challenges and for sure with persistence you overcame them! Congrats and Merry Xmas

Defection

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 29, 2019
Amazing! I didn't even look at the dates when I opened this thread, and it felt like when MJ says in Unscripted about the guy who you could tell had a burning desire to succeed. I saw this within you and thought you would make it.

Being able to fast forward the years on a mouse scroll was pretty freaky, but also pretty amazing. Huge congratulations to both of you, fantastic work!

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
Amazing to hear how you progressed over the years. Congrats and happy holidays!

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States

That's great to hear. Congrats!

What's one thing you think primarily propelled growth in the right direction? Was it the influencer marketing on instagram?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.