The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

JAMES-L67

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 24, 2014
Rich Dad's Guide to Investing. Simple, narrative writing style, not quite the FastLane style I would like, but good essential knowledge nonetheless

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I've read a lot of the books you guys mention, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why "Outliers" has so many good reviews.

No offense to the author, or anyone here that liked it, but I did not like it at all. I bought the audio version which was very long. I wanted to turn it off half-way through because it was so boring, but kept listening and telling myself to give it a chance, because maybe he would say something important in the middle, or near the end. Nope.

When I got to the end of the darn thing (took a few days), I felt like I had just wasted 10 hours of my life (and $30+ !). I was so disappointed that I almost wanted my money back.

All I got out of all that hoopla, was that you need 10,000 hours of training in something to become an expert, a prodigy.

He could have said that in one sentence.

Oh, and the other thing that baffled me - he spent an hour or so near the end teaching me about the mental gymnastics and mechanics of being an airplane pilot. ???

I wasn't in flight school. Maybe it helped someone else but it didn't help me at all. I gave it away.

I just finished it the other day, and finished tipping point today.

The book wasn't about getting 10,000 hours out of something to become a prodigy I don't think. It was more about how cultural influence,timing,hard work/practice all come in to play to make someone an outlier. The 10k part was just part of the equation. There was a part at the end that talked about how he would describe himself as an outlier, and he said he went to a farm school in a farm city, and he went on to college while other people stayed to work the fields. His break came when one of his friends got him a job at new york times, and a few other things that led up to him being an outlier. It was all about the timing, things that led up to that point. I don't think he actually put 10k hours in. I think in his book he is just examining some extreme cases, and the airplane bit is just about cultural influence playing a role in some other cases.

diforenzad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 27, 2014
Currently reading :
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_to_Great )
Got this book months ago and never cracked it open. Just finished reading half of it in a few days and it's full of insight. While it's based on data from big-a$$ public companies, it's still worth a readying for the knowledge-hungry buddyinng entrepreneur.
The book is written in a very linear and simple way, without the use of the technical jargon that makes most of the publications on the financial world too hard to read for the newbie.

Also re-reading 37signals's Rework. It's a pretty awesome and simple book. I think it's really worth to read and re-read many times over.
At times I feel like it has been written by seth godin, due to its minimalistic approach : they wrote the book and then cut in half the amount of words by slashing anything that was unnecessary, in the style that 37signals has used in the past to launch a bunch of successful products.
For the non-techies, keep in mind that these are the guys behind the Ruby on Rails framework, a pretty powerful yet minimal framework to quickly build complex websites without the need to be a full time programmer (yet, you gotta know what you're doing when playing around with it)

FiveOone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 16, 2013
Australia
Reading two on mindset at the moment. About 20% through 'Relentless' by Tim Grover. Head shrinker and performance coach that has worked with the likes of Jordan, Kobe and other NBA elites. It seems to fall in line with Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power as its pretty loose morally and the end goal/winning is only thing that matters. Snappin necks and cashin cheques! To be honest, not sure if I like this one or not yet.

The second is called 'Mindset" by Carol Dweck. I found out about this book while watching a short interview that Bill Gates was doing with a school teacher, the teacher had this book on his desk and Bill Gates picked it up and went "wow, this book blew me away". Sold.

A recommendation for @LifeTransformer, The Business of Belief by Tom Asacker is very good and comes in at around 120 pages. This is one of the better books I've read over the last 12 months and I loved The One Thing, was excellent. Glad to see people here are enjoying it.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
I recently read The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz. Awesome book, and very inspiring!

One of the first things that happens in the book is the author takes a young man to the front of his class. He says (paraphrased), "This young man is more successful than you are. Why? Did he have more education? Come from a wealthy family? Luck? Smarter than you? The answer is none of the above. He THINKS bigger than you!"

And that is what the book is about, is THINKING like a successful person.

mikeobi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 4, 2015
California
This could've been mentioned, but I just finished Hustle Manifesto by Ross Simmonds. It's an awesome book for anyone who has a job and wants to start a business on the side, that'll eventually have you quit your job.

John Clancy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Feb 23, 2015
Next five books in the pipeline are as follows...
  1. Awaken the Giant Within – Tony Robbins.

2. How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie

3. The Charisma Myth – Olivia Fox Cabane

4. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion – Robert B. Cialdini

5. The Art of War – Tsun Tzu
Will probably take a while to get through all these, but no doubt they will be extremely beneficial... I'm about halfway through Awaken the Giant Within and it's great.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
This semester is coming to an end and I'm going to take full advantage of my 31-day winter break.

I originally planned to read several books, but I now decided to just read one. So which one will it be?

80/20 Sales and Marketing

If I can finish it before the semester ends that's even better because I'd rather do the "just in time learning" thing and apply it right away.

I have self-study courses, guides, etc. for my "just in time learning."

I'm sick of mental masturbation. College can be the ultimate mental masturbation. Time, energy, etc. on topics that aren't relevant to my ultimate goal or chief aim. And on top of that, the people. Oh lord!

I'll admit, they've had their (negative) effect on me, but I'll be a hermit this winter break. Haha.

31-days of discipline? We'll see...

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
This semester is coming to an end and I'm going to take full advantage of my 31-day winter break.

I originally planned to read several books, but I now decided to just read one. So which one will it be?

80/20 Sales and Marketing

If I can finish it before the semester ends that's even better because I'd rather do the "just in time learning" thing and apply it right away.

I have self-study courses, guides, etc. for my "just in time learning."

I'm sick of mental masturbation. College can be the ultimate mental masturbation. Time, energy, etc. on topics that aren't relevant to my ultimate goal or chief aim. And on top of that, the people. Oh lord!

I'll admit, they've had their (negative) effect on me, but I'll be a hermit this winter break. Haha.

31-days of discipline? We'll see...

Do yourself a favor and read Man's search for meaning by Viktor Frankl.
Pivotal book, trust me on this.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

Alright, I'll trust you on it. I have it on Kindle and Audible on my phone. :):)

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015

Maybe one of the most important book ever wrote, I heard about this book after reading David Brook's the road to character.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Maybe one of the most important book ever wrote, I heard about this book after reading David Brook's the road to character.

Yes it is.
My wife had to read it for a class, and suggested it to me. I approached it with reluctance.
It changed my life; I think it's the single most important book that I've read in my entire life.

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Economics in One Lesson - Henry Hazlitt

Pitch Anything - Oren Klaff

Godel, Escher, Bach - Douglass Hofstadter

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
one simple idea / Stephen Key - one of the bests i read so far, thanks to awesome people on this forum.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
So, apparently at my local community colleges library they have "The luxury strategy : break the rules of marketing to build luxury brands "! I am so excited

I have been wanting to read the book (non e book style) for a while but could not bring myself to drop $40-$50 on a book

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
strategies of genius-robert dilts this is probably one of the best books i have ever read otherwise from think and grow rich. it talks about some great men that have lived who were considered geniuses such as aristotle,einstein,mozart etc. it brings you into their realm of thinking and uses nlp to model them and show you strategies that they use in their lives that you can apply in your life to gain extraordinary results.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
strategies of genius-robert dilts this is probably one of the best books i have ever read otherwise from think and grow rich. it talks about some great men that have lived who were considered geniuses such as aristotle,einstein,mozart etc. it brings you into their realm of thinking and uses nlp to model them and show you strategies that they use in their lives that you can apply in your life to gain extraordinary results.

Then you probably will like the book "Smartcuts" by Shane snow, check it out!

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Then you probably will like the book "Smartcuts" by Shane snow, check it out!
i liked smartcuts as well it was a very great book and it fits right in my technology field and show me where everything all started and yes it also showed me how they came up with all these great ideas that changed the world.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
i liked smartcuts as well it was a very great book and it fits right in my technology field and show me where everything all started and yes it also showed me how they came up with all these great ideas that changed the world.

Not just that, I thought the author was extremely good at telling stories, he actually have a you tube talk just on storytelling, check it out:

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Not just that, I thought the author was extremely good at telling stories, he actually have a you tube talk just on storytelling, check it out:

thanks just what i needed.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I am currently reading The Millionaire Fast lane for the second time, first time I read it was 3 years ago. I didnt really process the book good the first time, this second time I am really glad I bought it again to read it. Tomorrow I should start The $100 startup Reinvent The Way You Make A Living

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Just finished "THOU SHALL PROSPER" by Rabbi Daniel Lapin.

Very good. Very long.

Some basic, sound wisdom about money along with some ancient Jewish secrets for financial prosperity.

It also honed in on how important relationships with people are in regards to your business and overall success in life.....something I needed to be reminded of considering my natural tendency to introversion.

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
The 7 day start up - Dan Norris

Great kick in the pants kind of book to get moving on execution.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Just finished "Men's search for meaning" and David Brook's "The road to character", now I am reading "The big short", I have read a couple of books on the recession already, this one is more of a personal account of the crisis, which offers another view into human nature.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.