The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another Slowlaner Trying to Escape

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

ymind

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 14, 2013
Hi Fastlaners. This is my first post, but I’ve been a member for almost 2 years, and read the book a couple years before that I believe. Due to a massive LACK of action, I can say I have learned a lot but I don’t really have anything to show for it. I will be starting a progress thread, and hopefully it can help and inspire people as much as some of the amazing threads on this forum do.

A little backstory on me: I’m 25 years old, and I currently work a Slowlane job. It’s your basic 9-5 (although nobody really tells you it’s actually more like 7-6 with commute/staying late etc… do they? :() I have a 4 year undergrad business degree from a middle of the road state university. Some recent events at my workplace had me thinking it was time to go on the job hunt again (more on that if you keep reading), but I decided instead to keep the stability for now and focus all my extra time on freeing myself from the rat race.

My problem for my whole life has been that it’s been too easy. Too easy just to go through the motions. My current income gives me enough money to live a pretty damn good lifestyle for a single guy like me and still save some dough as well. Although I would say I haven’t been 100% (or even 80%) satisfied with my job from day 1, it wasn’t until recently that it really hit me.

About a week ago, we had a big companywide meeting where they announced that due to poor financial performance there would be no raises/bonuses this year.

I distinctly remember the exact moment that came out of our CEO’s mouth. I instantly thought of AllenCrawley’s “Does it hurt bad enough” thread, and felt that nail in my side. As sad as it is, that might’ve been the first time I had ever felt that nail in my whole life. It wasn’t even about the money at all. I just realized how little control I have. I always knew that in my heart, but this was just a perfect, slap-you-in-the-face reminder.

I have always known I couldn't do the 9-5 forever, but it's time to accelerate the timetable and get free as soon as possible. Thankfully my slowlane job doesn't require THAT much of my time or energy (compared to some high-powered professions), so I should have plenty of time to build my business on the side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...