The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Path (A Work in Progress)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Background- 12 odd years in construction (all phases) and 12 in the service/sales field. Always had "the bug" to start my own business. Had a home improvement and landscaping service for a while. Worked as a subcontractor doing finish carpentry for a while as well. Not "employee" material by any means. Always been a workaholic and never satisfied with the limits as an employee. I've always needed control that never seemed to gratify my inner self. Then it hit me last year when a friend who owns a salon contacted me about building a piece of furniture. I lackadaisically threw together a massive corner desk without much thought and put my tools away. Then the first calls started coming in about more pieces people wanted built. For the first 6 months it was a piece per month. Then it became one a week.

Out of providence or whatever you might call it I received a call from a woman whose father was a master furniture builder. He died 5 years ago and the family decided to liquidate his shop tools. So now I have a basement full of tools, customers nationwide and a crappy facebook page. Business has reached a point that I make more from it than my public sector job working for the state of Massachusetts. I'm turning work down because of time and travel. Not a bad place to be in. And not fastlane....yet.

At the end of June we are relocating to Lake Havasu City , Az. I have developed a decent pocket of high end clientele in Las Vegas and plan to fully exploit that situation. We will be looking for a retail space and a manufacturing space as well. Here is where it gets fastlane. In 8 years time I plan on retiring . My 40th birthday. By then this business will be tied in with every major furniture store, distributor and online order site with full lines of furniture across the board. I have no intention of outsourcing overseas as being made in America still stands for something and hopefully will mean more in the future.

It went from a $500 a month business to a $5000 a month business in 14 months with only about a $3000 investment in tools. I believe I can scale that to at least $500,000 a year within 5 years. if not faster. So I'll try to keep this updated as I go. It should be an interesting ride.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
The move is going as planned. Gave my resignation letter to work yesterday. Signed contracts on 10k worth of work to end the month out. Going to work 80 hours a week to fill contracts before we move on the 27th. Box truck should be ready for pickup friday. Bought one instead of rent. For what i could rent one i decided to buy. probably flip it for triple when i get to az. Having a big tag sale to sell off what we arent taking this coming weekend. Gave my landlord our 30 day notice yesterday too. Wife has been negotiating job offers all day from state and local agencies . Awesome to see her this excited. Feeling seriously excited to move west again. this time hopefully for good. These are the moments we define who we are in life. The big uncomfortable changes we make for the better.

alitoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 15, 2015
Please keep updating this!! Im about to start a business on the same niche (in another country) and I am very exited ! Your post inspired me. Thank you and good luck!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
well last day of "work" was last friday. Finished up all but one of my contracts. Ditched the box truck and bought a trailer. Lease has been signed for the new house . Comes with a massive deep garage perfect for my workshop. Wife just got hired for a state job so the stress is off as far as me getting my business off the ground. Had a few bumps in the road last week dealing with a client whose mother controls her life. Had to walk away from the build because of it. But we are on schedule to leave for Lake Havasu city , Az this friday night. Planning on driving straight thru to Kansas to hang out with my grandparents for a couple days and then straight thru to Arizona. It's a exciting time for us right now.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
in the last month between the move and being in Havasu it's been hectic. Our trailer broke in PA and the uhaul in town only had one half the size of the one we bought. I managed to sell the majority of tools I had to make space for all the sentimental stuff that couldnt be replaced. Spent a couple days in Kansas on my grandparents "farm" and then made it to town on the first of july. My wife has been happily working since july 6 and I have had to get a "real job" till the funds are back up. Now that my son is in daycare and the step daughter flew back to mass i can start refocusing on what I came here for. I'm taking a step back from being so focused on building furniture as this is a small town of 30,000+. Im starting a handyman service and general contracting company for real estate and property managers as this is a big tourist town and gets a lot of rental usage. Will also be branching out into commercial cleaning as well. Taking care of restaurants and other high traffic local stores. Life has thrown some curve balls in the last month but i'm going to get ahead of it and stay ahead of it.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Had a few setbacks mentally as far as progressing with the business. Lots of doubt and lots of negative thinking put me behind where I'd like to be. Haven t unpacked my home office till 2 days ago. Now I'm back in the swing. My wife went to Tuscon for a business training for 4 days and my son came down with Strep so he couldn't go to day care . Realizing I may not have my slow-lane job come Monday has been a real thought the last couple days. But in that feeling of desperation and frustration I've gotten more work done on my own endeavors than I have in the last 2 months being here. I have a business name, a logo , and a plan. picking up my business certificate this afternoon and business cards tonight. Have a list of Realtors to talk to come Monday . Any suggestions on how to approach a Realtor with a residential service company proposal?

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Welp got my business license. All nice and legal now. Picking up business cards in an hour and a meeting with the owner of a moving company later. time to start pushing this crazy train forward.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
bought another business out this morning. Bought out his equipment. He just retired and was looking to make a quick buck so I made a leap. Bought a $5000 duct cleaning vacuum for $100 . We shall see what tomorrow brings

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
So was feeling a little down yesterday. Only had a couple projects this week. So I went to a local facebook group and mentioned I was looking for a mentor, Someone who can help navigate the waters of my new home territory. Within the last 24 hours I have been invited to address the local Realtors monthly meeting and the chamber of commerce monthly meeting as well. I had no idea that what I was doing was putting my self front and center for the very people my business is aimed at. My photos on my other facebook page for my last business has drummed up serious interest and the calls have started coming in. I'm pretty sure this may get bigger than I anticipated alot faster than expected. How do you deal with success when you dont feel it's due? When the slightest wave you make brings about huge reaction from those around you? When you dont feel you've worked hard enough for the breaks that come.Still trying to grasp the potential out here and frankly it scares me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.