The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning from Startup Failures

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quite an interesting list that highlights start-ups and the founder's rationale behind the failure.

http://autopsy.io/

screenshot-autopsy io 2015-06-10 10-06-03.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
I work for a startup too. I agree with most of the points that go against us each day at work. but, yeah we have managed to keep things intact and raise the 3rd round of NASSCOM funding :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Startups are hard... Especially if your building something new to the market.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
The "we were naive idiots" reasonates with me.

A few years ago I was doing a "startup". I was the impersonation of a wantrepreneur. Running around trying to raise 150k with literally just a powerpoint. Even got a comitment for 50k, who knows why, guess I can be convincing. Then realized how much of a dumb F*ck I was and quickly canceled the whole thing.

That was right after I first read TMF , dropped out of college and multiple offers for a high level investment banking career, because I thought I could become a multimillionaire in short time with my stupid idea. Again, super naive. Guess I didnt get the message back then. Took me a full 3 years of failure until I wised up and started a real business.

Last edited:

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
The "we were naive idiots" reasonates with me.

A few years ago I was doing a "startup". I was the impersonation of a wantrepreneur. Running around trying to raise 150k with literally just a powerpoint. Even got a comitment for 50k, who knows why, guess I can be convincing. Then realized how much of a dumb F*ck I was and quickly canceled the whole thing.

That was right after I first read TMF , dropped out of college and multiple offers for a high level investment banking career, because I thought I could become a multimillionaire in short time with my stupid idea. Again, super naive. Guess I didnt get the message back then. Took me a full 3 years of failure until I wised up and started a real business.

I'm finding myself in a pretty similar situation. I have to ask, was it worth it??

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm finding myself in a pretty similar situation. I have to ask, was it worth it??
Too early to tell... Looking good now than I'm running a successful business with high potential, but for the 3-4 years prior to that I was depressed as shit with lots of regrets.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Startups are hard... Especially if your building something new to the market.

So true. My first startup was something totally new to the market. It was also something there was no demand for except from myself and my business partner. Huge monetary success. Nope. A first class degree in how to not go about running a business. Took every lesson and am more grateful for it than you can know.

sladdha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 22, 2015
MJ's post is only a snapshot of 100+ Reasons listed at the autopsy website and these capture a wide spectrum of possible/real reasons for startup failure.As an entrepreneurs,we can learn a lot from these ventures gone bad,and navigate our businesses on a success fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.