The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding the supplier of a company

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Here is my delimma.

I'm trying to find out which Chinese supplier supplies a certain product to a Canadian company. This product will be used in the completion of a bigger and more complete product. So I do not want to compete with this company, I'm just trying to find out who supplies them so I can get the part directly from the manufacturer.

How do I do this without paying a ton of money to a company like www.panjiva.com or a similar pay site?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Contact them pretending to be a lawyer or someone thats had a problem with the product.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Google-fu man - get your black belt.

I was curious about a product the other day that was in my house, branded by a large well known company. Looked closely and found the part number. Googled the part number and what the item was and scrolled through 3 pages of google and then I saw a couple import bills. Had the supplier's name on them, and the city.

Kept searching, but couldn't for the life of me find the supplier - even though I had the name. Googled the niche with the city they were in, and found them. Their name was spelled slightly different.

Everything is possible with google and enough effort.

evlttwin

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California

I was curious about a product the other day that was in my house, branded by a large well known company. Looked closely and found the part number. Googled the part number and what the item was and scrolled through 3 pages of google and then I saw a couple import bills. Had the supplier's name on them, and the city.

Kept searching, but couldn't for the life of me find the supplier - even though I had the name. Googled the niche with the city they were in, and found them. Their name was spelled slightly different.

6a00d8341bf67c53ef01675ed01d24970b-800wi.jpg

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Some great strategies shared here.

We do this quite a bit in our Guangzhou office. The difficult of doing this, depends primarily on how "common" the product/component is. If there are tonnes of manufacturers making the same thing, it can be a bit more challenging, however if there are only a couple of players specializing in that product, it gets a lot easier. Later, is rarely the case in China though, unless its a very high-tech part.

The second factor is, whether its a very low-tech or a high-tech product. Many of the low-tech components are made by smaller factories who may not have a strong online presence. Some of the strategies mentioned here, can be quite effective in finding the supplier. However, if that doesnt work and you need more professional help in sorting this, feel free to drop me a PM as this is something we regularly do under our 360 degree sourcing service.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Well done. Used properly Google searching can find almost the impossible to find, but you must have a good starting point.

I would like to expand upon a very important point you made, but it is one that can easily pass by with little notice. That is the fact that not only can names have different spellings, but the company may trade under different names.

Most legitimate Chinese companies trade under at least 3 names, and 10 would not be unusual. In addition, they often abbreviate to acronyms. As a result, searching can require dogged determination, and some imagination.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Contact them pretending to be a lawyer or someone thats had a problem with the product.

In the United States you could go to jail for that. Fraud with the intent to swindle proprietary information.

evlttwin

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California

evlttwin

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
i work for a manufacturer in California to do exactly what your asking. I'm extremely good at it. Send me a PM, I'll give you an email

You really should have prefaced this with "IF YOU PAY ME"

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles

Yes, I get paid a lot to do this for my company and I said AFTER I give you the contact information of the supplier you want. I have a 100% success rate and could even help you with negotiations for free just because I enjoy it so much.

to any fastlaner - I will source any specific component or product or supplier you want with 100% accuracy and give you their contact information, but you have to pay me 100$ after I give it to you. I've been doing this for 2 years now

evlttwin

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Yes, I get paid a lot to do this for my company and I said AFTER I give you the contact information of the supplier you want. I have a 100% success rate and could even help you with negotiations for free just because I enjoy it so much.

to any fastlaner - I will source any specific component or product or supplier you want with 100% accuracy and give you their contact information, but you have to pay me 100$ after I give it to you. I've been doing this for 2 years now

There is a Marketplace area of the website just for this.

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
Actually there is a caveat

My expertise and network is only for China, Taiwan , EU and North America

I have never out of 167 sourcings done anything in India

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
In the United States you could go to jail for that. Fraud with the intent to swindle proprietary information.
Probably could here also, Its not something that I have ever done.
My friend owns a furniture company and says hes done it numerous times to find out where the competitor gets his products my first opinion was also that it was shady. Im more surprised the companies that he is phoning up dont just ask for order numbers etc. because he never actually orders the product either?
Sorry for mentioning it on the forum.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Here is my delimma.

I'm trying to find out which Chinese supplier supplies a certain product to a Canadian company. This product will be used in the completion of a bigger and more complete product. So I do not want to compete with this company, I'm just trying to find out who supplies them so I can get the part directly from the manufacturer.

How do I do this without paying a ton of money to a company like www.panjiva.com or a similar pay site?
If you haven't found the answer yet, you might like to pm me with the Canadian company's name and all the product details.

Finding the actual supplier can be tricky. I am usually successful, but no guarantees.

Walter

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK

If someone is willing to take time out of their day and provide you a service, why do you expect it for free?

If you wanted it for free, you need to offer value in return.

For that piece of advice, I require the sum of $200 via Rep Transfer ;)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

If you haven't found the answer yet, you might like to pm me with the Canadian company's name and all the product details.

Finding the actual supplier can be tricky. I am usually successful, but no guarantees.

Walter
Unlike others I have done this for free for many Fastlaners who have PM'd me. I would rather spend my time doing other things, but because I know the ropes I can usually check out supplier information very quickly.

Although many who attacked me when I made my first posts may find it hard to believe, I enjoy helping people. There are many
Fastlaners who can confirm that I have helped them and never asked for payment.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Simple.. do you have a picture of the product?

Put it into google images and see what comes back online. most time, people dont change the images they get from the supplier and the supplier will also list it online ( with the image ) as well.

here is a sample query I did for a pet urn I found:
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...iG5IgTdF2G2rmOIqyxY3NmQI&btnG=Search by image

One of those listings on the first 2 pages is probably the supplier. Also, this trick is good to see who else sells the same stuff.

Consider that free advice.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Last edited by a moderator:

evlttwin

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisLF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 31, 2015
Unlike others I have done this for free for many Fastlaners who have PM'd me. I would rather spend my time doing other things, but because I know the ropes I can usually check out supplier information very quickly.

Although many who attacked me when I made my first posts may find it hard to believe, I enjoy helping people. There are many
Fastlaners who can confirm that I have helped them and never asked for payment.

@Walter Hay sending you another PM

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Check your PMs. I think I have found a manufacturer for you, but your request is such a narrow section of the industry that it is hard to get down to that level of specifics.

Let me know how you get on.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!