The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My new boss just extended my probationary period!

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Let me start by saying, I’ve read the book. I just started re-reading it again last week. I’ve never read a book twice in my life……….ever!

I’m very familiar with the forum, but have never posted an Intro and I feel this is as good a time as any.

The title of this thread, although it wasn’t intended to be, is really like an analogy of my career path and entrepreneurial dreams. I’ve left it up to the mercy of others, and even with what should be renewed inspiration, I’m struggling to stay afloat with the discomfort and uncertainty just been drawn out and strung along.

Let me just say it, I’m a WANTREPRENEUR….

A little about me………I have an Engineering degree, I always ‘got through’ academically with school reports letting my parents know that I ‘had the ability’ but needed to apply myself. I’ve had more careers that I care to remember, sales, kitchen design, property, engineering, recruitment, ‘business development’ (fancy title for a sales job) and more. My CV is pretty interesting, though probably not to a serious employer. I’ve lived in the USA and London, and have travelled, enough to get it out of my system for now. I partied a lot on the way.

While I was living away and travelling, people back home were progressing in their careers. Now I’m behind and it’s frustrating. Not that frustrating though, because really, I don’t want to be where they are. I want to be free! I don’t want to put up with authority, and the cubicle life, I never have! I always thought to myself, it’s ok, I’ll be my own boss and free by the time I’m 30 so I never focused on anything. Hello, I’m 37 soon!

Somehow I managed to stay in my last job over 3 years (record!), even with a long commute and now I’ve stepped up to a Senior level in a new company. This brings me to today. Honestly, I’m struggling in this role, and unfortunately I don’t seem to care. I know that if I get fired, it will add extra stress at home, but I seem to want to self sabotage. It’s almost like I want to confirm my expectations, that I’m not good enough. While others around me in the team are getting engrossed in solving some technical issue, I get bored, drifting into my own world. Time is spent on the web, reading forums, googling ‘entrepreneur’, and following links to stories of successful billionaires which is really quite disheartening.

I’ve been building my library of books, the TMF , The Millionaire Next Door, The 4 HWW, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Autobiographies, all the usual. Do I feel motivated each time I turn the page? Yep! Have I done anything about it? Nope! I just waken up every day and go through the motions, commute, have a non-productive day, come home, complain, eat, spend time with family, do the chores and when I finally have time to do something which is around 10pm, I’m done! Exhausted…….it’s TV, I-pad, or bed.

I’ve spent my fair share of time on YouTube with Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar and anyone else who claims to have the ability to turn my life around! Does it work? Nope!

I get it, you gotta put in the work, you gotta grind, you gotta hustle, you gotta network, you gotta speak positive, use the right vocabulary, visualize. Let’s face it, its common sense really! Do I do it? NO, NO and NO! Why not?? I can’t answer that! Does it hurt bad enough? Well obviously it mustn’t, but it bloomin’ well feels like it does….bigtime! Every day I get so frustrated! Sitting at my desk, it feels like a ball and chain has me shackled to this rather comfortable office chair. I feel like I’m going to implode! I can’t stare at the screen anymore, and clock in and clock out and explain my every movement…..argggghhhhh!!

I guess it was the news today about my probationary period that prompted me to put this intro out there. That and the reminder I received last week from GoDaddy to say that the domain name I registered for my multinational venture automatically renewed. WHAT?#! You mean it’s been 1 year already? Nooooo waaaaaay! Let me check my account……oh yeah, there’s 6 or 7 domains in here. I forgot about those after 4 years. Ah, the memories and the ideas. Off course, I happened to find the remainder of my ebay stock that I bought from Alibaba last year at the bottom of the cupboard just the other day too. Then there’s the Amazon reminders, to rate the ‘Miracle Morning’ that I bought about this time last year. I haven’t quite got around to setting my alarm clock an hour earlier yet. Whoooops, I blame the sleepness nights…

I also recently found my notepad with all those ideas that James Altucher told me I should jot down everyday. The heated toilet seat, the see through toaster….a few crazier ones. Let me think about those. Yep, already been done, no sense pursuing that one! Probably no one would be interested in that one. Oh, and this one, nah, it’ll never work. Wait a minute, you mean you want me to research, build a prototype, test the market, raise money, raise awareness, go to a trade show, network…….HOLD THE PHONE! Little old me?? I’m not smart enough, I’m not confident enough, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Nah, I don’t think so. That’s only for the rich and famous! Elon Musk will sort that one. Besides, I gotta make a cup of tea first……

Honesty, who decided that 2 days of freedom for 5 days of work was a good trade? Don’t you people know I have a life to live, things to do, experiences to have, pictures to take……memories to be made!

I’m so STUCK! I hate it! It’s making me miserable, but I don’t know where to turn! Time is slipping away and running out on me, on us all for that matter! Confidence and self belief are big problems….along with so many other things.

I get pumped up, then quickly deflated and disillusioned. I believe in an idea, and that I can really do it this time, but then it fades. My mind jumps from one thing to another every hour of every day. Last week it was a book, a product, Upwork, copywriting, ebay, purchase an apartment block….

The thing is, I’m ‘just ok’ at most things, and not special at any. Jack of all trades and master of none as we say. I’m fairly average at everything, and can’t seem to focus on anything for longer than 5 minutes.

There’s more to life, and I’m going nowhere fast! It’s really, really getting me down in a BIG way. I’m not even sure what I expect to achieve with this intro, but I just need to get it off my chest, and I figured this is the place. Family and friends just don’t get it……

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
You seem really stressed out, i understand why

I don't really have "advice" to give you (business advice?) because I am not near what position you are in life

Unwind, do a 6 month long backpacking trip around the world (maybe too much?)

hopefully someone else can chime in

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

If you lack motivation...... Do you want your kids to describe you as 'daddy sits in a cube and rots' or 'my daddy created / does / owns / runs .....'

Tips..... Do not allow yourself on the Internet or tv until you have completed something. Exercise for more energy.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Let me start by saying, I’ve read the book. I just started re-reading it again last week. I’ve never read a book twice in my life……….ever!

I’m very familiar with the forum, but have never posted an Intro and I feel this is as good a time as any.

The title of this thread, although it wasn’t intended to be, is really like an analogy of my career path and entrepreneurial dreams. I’ve left it up to the mercy of others, and even with what should be renewed inspiration, I’m struggling to stay afloat with the discomfort and uncertainty just been drawn out and strung along.

A little about me………I have an Engineering degree, I always ‘got through’ academically with school reports letting my parents know that I ‘had the ability’ but needed to apply myself. I’ve had more careers that I care to remember, sales, kitchen design, property, engineering, recruitment, ‘business development’ (fancy title for a sales job) and more. My CV is pretty interesting, though probably not to a serious employer. I’ve lived in the USA and London, and have travelled, enough to get it out of my system for now. I partied a lot on the way.

While I was living away and travelling, people back home were progressing in their careers. Now I’m behind and it’s frustrating. Not that frustrating though, because really, I don’t want to be where they are. I want to be free! I don’t want to put up with authority, and the cubicle life, I never have! I always thought to myself, it’s ok, I’ll be my own boss and free by the time I’m 30 so I never focused on anything. Hello, I’m 37 soon!

Somehow I managed to stay in my last job over 3 years (record!), even with a long commute and now I’ve stepped up to a Senior level in a new company. This brings me to today. Honestly, I’m struggling in this role, and unfortunately I don’t seem to care. I know that if I get fired, it will add extra stress at home, but I seem to want to self sabotage. It’s almost like I want to confirm my expectations, that I’m not good enough. While others around me in the team are getting engrossed in solving some technical issue, I get bored, drifting into my own world. Time is spent on the web, reading forums, googling ‘entrepreneur’, and following links to stories of successful billionaires which is really quite disheartening.

I’ve been building my library of books, the TMF , The Millionaire Next Door, The 4 HWW, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Autobiographies, all the usual. Do I feel motivated each time I turn the page? Yep! Have I done anything about it? Nope! I just waken up every day and go through the motions, commute, have a non-productive day, come home, complain, eat, spend time with family, do the chores and when I finally have time to do something which is around 10pm, I’m done! Exhausted…….it’s TV, I-pad, or bed.

I’ve spent my fair share of time on YouTube with Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar and anyone else who claims to have the ability to turn my life around! Does it work? Nope!

I get it, you gotta put in the work, you gotta grind, you gotta hustle, you gotta network, you gotta speak positive, use the right vocabulary, visualize. Let’s face it, its common sense really! Do I do it? NO, NO and NO! Why not?? I can’t answer that! Does it hurt bad enough? Well obviously it mustn’t, but it bloomin’ well feels like it does….bigtime! Every day I get so frustrated! Sitting at my desk, it feels like a ball and chain has me shackled to this rather comfortable office chair. I feel like I’m going to implode! I can’t stare at the screen anymore, and clock in and clock out and explain my every movement…..argggghhhhh!!

I guess it was the news today about my probationary period that prompted me to put this intro out there. That and the reminder I received last week from GoDaddy to say that the domain name I registered for my multinational venture automatically renewed. WHAT?#! You mean it’s been 1 year already? Nooooo waaaaaay! Let me check my account……oh yeah, there’s 6 or 7 domains in here. I forgot about those after 4 years. Ah, the memories and the ideas. Off course, I happened to find the remainder of my ebay stock that I bought from Alibaba last year at the bottom of the cupboard just the other day too. Then there’s the Amazon reminders, to rate the ‘Miracle Morning’ that I bought about this time last year. I haven’t quite got around to setting my alarm clock an hour earlier yet. Whoooops, I blame the sleepness nights…

I also recently found my notepad with all those ideas that James Altucher told me I should jot down everyday. The heated toilet seat, the see through toaster….a few crazier ones. Let me think about those. Yep, already been done, no sense pursuing that one! Probably no one would be interested in that one. Oh, and this one, nah, it’ll never work. Wait a minute, you mean you want me to research, build a prototype, test the market, raise money, raise awareness, go to a trade show, network…….HOLD THE PHONE! Little old me?? I’m not smart enough, I’m not confident enough, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Nah, I don’t think so. That’s only for the rich and famous! Elon Musk will sort that one. Besides, I gotta make a cup of tea first……

Honesty, who decided that 2 days of freedom for 5 days of work was a good trade? Don’t you people know I have a life to live, things to do, experiences to have, pictures to take……memories to be made!

I’m so STUCK! I hate it! It’s making me miserable, but I don’t know where to turn! Time is slipping away and running out on me, on us all for that matter! Confidence and self belief are big problems….along with so many other things.

I get pumped up, then quickly deflated and disillusioned. I believe in an idea, and that I can really do it this time, but then it fades. My mind jumps from one thing to another every hour of every day. Last week it was a book, a product, Upwork, copywriting, ebay, purchase an apartment block….

The thing is, I’m ‘just ok’ at most things, and not special at any. Jack of all trades and master of none as we say. I’m fairly average at everything, and can’t seem to focus on anything for longer than 5 minutes.

There’s more to life, and I’m going nowhere fast! It’s really, really getting me down in a BIG way. I’m not even sure what I expect to achieve with this intro, but I just need to get it off my chest, and I figured this is the place. Family and friends just don’t get it……

The day you take your first step, you've already won.

You'll still be sitting in your office chair but now there's a light at the of the tunnel, you might not see it yet but it's there somewhere down the line, that will change your whole world.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014

Write a book to get everything off your chest and sell it, see if it helps, you can do it.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
@Five Star

I am pretty blown away, your life story ( if true ) is like an exact mirror to mine:

1. Age = check
2. Books = check
3. Domains = check
4. Job/Career = 3/4ths check

Except, I am probably right now at the spot where you want to be.

If anything, you have a good knack for storytelling and could prob. make some good coin in writing ( blog, book, copy for others maybe ).

I am going to reread this thread again and offer you some advice later in the day.

Last edited:

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the likes and the comments! Makes me wish I'd written an intro sooner on this forum, rather than put it off for so long. I forgot how empathetic people can be, it's refreshing....

Unwind, do a 6 month long backpacking trip around the world (maybe too much?)

That would be nice! I backpacked for 6 months before and it was one of the best experiences ever. Now's not the time though, with family and responsibilities. Relocation? Maybe!

Exercise for more energy.

Definitely need to do more of this. It's hard to get the motivation after a long day, but slowly I'm trying to work on it little by little.

Do you want your kids to describe you as 'daddy sits in a cube and rots' or 'my daddy created / does / owns / runs .....'

The latter for sure! It's just hard to imagine creating something great, from where I'm standing right now!

Write a book to get everything off your chest and sell it, see if it helps, you can do it.

Funny you should say that. I started writing all these frustrations in the form of a poem, and have found it very rewarding. It's a work in progress, but there's a lot I have to say! I never expected I'd be writing poetry, lol. My first effort was a fortnight ago, now I can't get enough of it.....who knew!?

One of my ideas recently was to put some personal experiences in a book that I know other people would resonate with. Problem is, those experiences are very personal, and I wasn't sure I could deal with putting it out there in the public space...

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@Five Star

I am pretty blown away, your life story ( if true ) is like an exact mirror to mine:

1. Age = check
2. Books = check
3. Domains = check
4. Job/Career = 3/4ths check

Except, I am probably right now at the spot where you want to be.

If anything, you have a good knack for storytelling and could prob. make some good coin in writing ( blog, book, copy for others maybe ).

I am going to reread this thread again and offer you some advice later in the day.

Thanks for your reply. It's all true, I assure you!

I'm intrigued to hear that you resonate with my story so much! I read your intro, and it sounds like you've had a lot of success. Good job! I'd love to hear more about your story, especially how you turned it around.

Actually, I never thought I'd like writing so thanks for the compliment. It's something that's growing on me, so maybe I should work on it. I wasn't keen on reading either until about 4-5 years ago, now I love it. I set up a profile on Upwork for proofreading, but of course, I haven't done anything with it yet. Same unfortunate story....

I keep thinking about the explosive wealth that MJ wrote about and how you need to free your time from your income and I usually find a reason why writing (or other things) don't fit the bill.....

Anyhow, I'm excited to hear if you have any advice once you have a chance to re-read my post....

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Funny you should say that. I started writing all these frustrations in the form of a poem, and have found it very rewarding. It's a work in progress, but there's a lot I have to say! I never expected I'd be writing poetry, lol. My first effort was a fortnight ago, now I can't get enough of it.....who knew!?

One of my ideas recently was to put some personal experiences in a book that I know other people would resonate with. Problem is, those experiences are very personal, and I wasn't sure I could deal with putting it out there in the public space...
Well that's great then, you know if you don't feel like sharing you personal experiences than atleast share the lessons you might've learned from those experiences. You definitely have talent for storytelling that's for sure. If you can't bring yourself to do anything else then begin like you've done in this thread which is writing down everything then edit however you like.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
So I said I would give you some advice, and now I am here to give it.

I am taking on some liberties here since I don't know you personally, but since your story sounds so much like mine... I am going to base my advice off my own story/history.

I feel prob the biggest thing holding you back is a plan, motivation, and focus.

If I were you, I ( based on my experience ) would :
  • Make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep
  • Exercise daily for 30 min
  • Wake up at 6pm ( and be asleep by 11pm )
  • Plan your entire week out on Sunday night ( every day, every hour )
  • Review your prior week on Saturday night ( what went right, what didnt, how to improve )
  • Focus on the top 3 activities you can be doing to improve your life every day, do those first thing in the morning and have them done by 10am is possible

When I was in your shoes, I had a hard time to committing to 1 thing. I had "entrepreneur's ADHD". That why I had so many jobs in my career, so many domains going to waste, so many ideas on paper that never came to life.

At some point you need to look through those ideas and decide which one seems to be the most capable of making you rich ( to find out which ones will, read the millionaire fastlane ) and then commit to it.

Never stop having ideas though, keep writing them down daily as you get them and then give them to someone else for free. But you keep working on your 1 idea and commit to it.

Every day you are going to do 3 activities that commit you to your 1 idea and gets it off the ground.

I can explain further, but a series of blog posts might be better:
http://leanvertising.com/how-to-accomplish-your-dream-life-part-1/100

Read those posts ( the series ). You might have to hunt around for them

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@eliquid - firstly, thanks for taking time out from your busy schedule to offer me some advice. I really appreciate it!

You hit the nail on the head right here:

I feel prob the biggest thing holding you back is a plan, motivation, and focus.

I'm going to follow this advice below, and read your blog posts over the weekend. I'll come back with an update of how I got on:

• Review your prior week on Saturday night ( what went right, what didnt, how to improve )
  • Focus on the top 3 activities you can be doing to improve your life every day, do those first thing in the morning and have them done by 10am is possible

I read your first blog post and it was a good read! It really does sound like our paths are very similar. The main difference is that even with moving jobs, you focused on digital marketing and became an expert.

I'm a little concerned that I'm not an expert in anything. I've had 11 jobs, but some have been in different careers. I definitely need that focus you talk about!

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
@eliquid
I'm a little concerned that I'm not an expert in anything. I've had 11 jobs, but some have been in different careers. I definitely need that focus you talk about!

You don't need to be an expert. The most important thing is to do something. Success or failure will both teach you something.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
How I see it, there are several parts to your situation (and feel free to correct me if misinterpreted, but it's very reminiscent of the rut I found myself in):

You don't execute ideas as you talk yourself out of doing so, seemingly from fear of failure or a case of "I Cant's". One thing is a fact. If you try it, you might fail. If you don't try it, you've just failed. I know which one I'd rather.

Secondly, Extended probationary period isn't all that bad, it means the spotlight is more on you, but it means it's also more on any of your achievements. It's hard to grind day to day in a job you're not loving. But if you mix it up (For me that means training, feeling good in body and the mind follows and vice versa), and start to formulate an end plan, the minute you see the day job as a means to an end as opposed to an endless monotonous marathon; is the minute it gets much easier. The only thing that gets me through the day is knowing that if I can throw myself into a job I'm bored of, I can absolutely smash a plan that actually matters; and the more money I make before then, the quicker I can initiate the next stage.

As to whether or not you want to be there, again, I think you're fixated on the day to day with no end plan in sight because you don't execute and follow through. Pick an idea and run with it. It may fail it may be a limited success or it might take off; if the former, what you may loose in time and even a bit of money, you make up for in spades in experience and the next one gets easier. You can't change the past, you shouldn't worry about the future, the only thing that matters is improving your memories of right now, by taking action. Whether that's following through with an idea, or changing your situation altogether.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So I said I would give you some advice, and now I am here to give it.

I am taking on some liberties here since I don't know you personally, but since your story sounds so much like mine... I am going to base my advice off my own story/history.

When I was in your shoes, I had a hard time to committing to 1 thing. I had "entrepreneur's ADHD". That why I had so many jobs in my career, so many domains going to waste, so many ideas on paper that never came to life.

At some point you need to look through those ideas and decide which one seems to be the most capable of making you rich ( to find out which ones will, read the millionaire fastlane ) and then commit to it.

Never stop having ideas though, keep writing them down daily as you get them and then give them to someone else for free. But you keep working on your 1 idea and commit to it.

Every day you are going to do 3 activities that commit you to your 1 idea and gets it off the ground.

I can explain further, but a series of blog posts might be better:
http://leanvertising.com/how-to-accomplish-your-dream-life-part-1/100

Read those posts ( the series ). You might have to hunt around for them
Great post and blog @eliquid

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
How I see it, there are several parts to your situation (and feel free to correct me if misinterpreted, but it's very reminiscent of the rut I found myself in):

You don't execute ideas as you talk yourself out of doing so, seemingly from fear of failure or a case of "I Cant's". One thing is a fact. If you try it, you might fail. If you don't try it, you've just failed. I know which one I'd rather.

Secondly, Extended probationary period isn't all that bad, it means the spotlight is more on you, but it means it's also more on any of your achievements. It's hard to grind day to day in a job you're not loving. But if you mix it up (For me that means training, feeling good in body and the mind follows and vice versa), and start to formulate an end plan, the minute you see the day job as a means to an end as opposed to an endless monotonous marathon; is the minute it gets much easier. The only thing that gets me through the day is knowing that if I can throw myself into a job I'm bored of, I can absolutely smash a plan that actually matters; and the more money I make before then, the quicker I can initiate the next stage.

As to whether or not you want to be there, again, I think you're fixated on the day to day with no end plan in sight because you don't execute and follow through. Pick an idea and run with it. It may fail it may be a limited success or it might take off; if the former, what you may loose in time and even a bit of money, you make up for in spades in experience and the next one gets easier. You can't change the past, you shouldn't worry about the future, the only thing that matters is improving your memories of right now, by taking action. Whether that's following through with an idea, or changing your situation altogether.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like you're going through similar. I definitely need to shift my mindset and try to discover what the end goal is.

Do you have a plan laid out to break free from your job?

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@eliquid I've read a few more of your blog posts, and found them very relevant, and well written. In fact I had a couple of questions I was going to post, then found the answers in your blog.

Glad to say, I sat down last night and drew out on paper my daily plan for the week, in 30 min slots. I actually set my alarm and managed to get up an hour earlier than usual. Let me just repeat that (for my own sake), I actually got up an hour earlier than usual.....no snooze button, lol! It wasn't easy!

It felt good, I spent some time exercising, meditating, reading and I actually had time for a decent breakfast.

Thanks again for the direction, I plan to stick with it and develop my routine.

I started writing a bit too following on from this intro, and it's been rewarding. Still no big 'end goal' though so need to work on that.

'Work' however? ....still a disaster!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the likes and the comments! Makes me wish I'd written an intro sooner on this forum, rather than put it off for so long. I forgot how empathetic people can be, it's refreshing....

That would be nice! I backpacked for 6 months before and it was one of the best experiences ever. Now's not the time though, with family and responsibilities. Relocation? Maybe!

Definitely need to do more of this. It's hard to get the motivation after a long day, but slowly I'm trying to work on it little by little.

The latter for sure! It's just hard to imagine creating something great, from where I'm standing right now!

You don't have to put your real name as the book author. Many people use pen names. Heck, MJ DeMarco is a pen name too ;)

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
You don't have to put your real name as the book author. Many people use pen names. Heck, MJ DeMarco is a pen name too ;)

I didn't realise, just thought it was a cool name, with a good ring to it!

I assumed that you could only use a pen name for fictional items.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada

Have you been thinking about putting aside entrepreneurship and everything else for a short period of time and just concentrating on yourself?
I'm not saying you should abandon it, just take a break and dedicate yourself to, well yourself.
You know when for example your car starts making weird noises it's not supposed to? That is usually a sign that something's broken. So you take it to a garage and often mechanics have their own ideas what is wrong, but they take the time to examine it?

Where I'm going to with this: Body and mind are very powerful. And underrated. So when you feel lost, it's your mind's way of telling you that you are broken in some way. You should take some time and be honest with yourself, try to analyze yourself and see where is the problem coming from. If you force everything at the same time, you become overwhelmed.

Now I'm not a successful entrepreneur and I understand that I may have less credibility, but this is something I did a couple of times when I didn't know what to do anymore and it really helped me.

Last edited:

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Have you been thinking about putting aside entrepreneurship and everything else for a short period of time and just concentrating on yourself?
I'm not saying you should abandon it, just take a break and dedicate yourself to, well yourself.

Thanks for your comments. Very wise words.
I agree that the mind is very powerful, and know that it’s something I need to work on. I feel overwhelmed regularly.
I’ve taken up Mindful Meditation, trying to read more (though it’s entrepreneurial related books), build up an exercise routine, and cut down on portion sizes when eating.
Writing a bit is also helping clear my mind, which is not something I ever really considered before.
These things are definitely helping, and I’ve been feeling more motivated. Eliquids suggestions above are helping me stay on track.
However, it’s hard to drop the entrepreneurial ambitions completely.

You know when for example your car starts making weird noises it's not supposed to? That is usually a sign that something's broken. So you take it to a garage and often mechanics have their own ideas what is wrong, but they take the time to examine it?

......I usually just turn the radio up a bit louder! :)

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Thanks for your comments. Very wise words.
I agree that the mind is very powerful, and know that it’s something I need to work on. I feel overwhelmed regularly.
I’ve taken up Mindful Meditation, trying to read more (though it’s entrepreneurial related books), build up an exercise routine, and cut down on portion sizes when eating.
Writing a bit is also helping clear my mind, which is not something I ever really considered before.
These things are definitely helping, and I’ve been feeling more motivated. Eliquids suggestions above are helping me stay on track.
However, it’s hard to drop the entrepreneurial ambitions completely.

Never drop it completely, only take a break. It's like when you hurt yourself, and you can't go to the gym. You miss it, but you know it's for the better and you'll be back in a couple of weeks. It's not just about the money or muscles, it's also about personal growth.

This is a really great page by a guy called Gary van Warmerdam: http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com

I used it a lot back in the day and it helped me change some core beliefs. The best thing is it raised my self-awareness.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015

Hey Man,
Are you my doppelganger?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...ChMI-puY8ofdxwIV7wrbCh2MPwcB&biw=1920&bih=943
I am in N Ireland as well, had about 11 different jobs in varous industries (including recruitment and engineering), travelled and bought various domains, wrote down ideas....and yep you guessed it!...never followed through on any of them despite knowing this lack of action is a complete crock of shit and knowing I am better than my desk based sub 30k job eats at me from when I wake up to go to sleep.

Hell, I even do your routine of work, home, (admitably I do the gym), food and come about half 9/10pm, I am revved up to do something and take some affirmative action to making money, only to flunk out about half 10/11 and call it a night-process repeated on almost a daily basis.

I think for me, living with a non fastlaner family member who talks an ok game but like me doesnt do anthing about it also doesnt help! Financially I couldnt afford a morgage and renting out some place by myself(and no renting a room in my morgage house isnt an option nor is selling it [HASHTAG]#negativeequitity[/HASHTAG])

You mentioned relocation in a reply earlier- NI, whilst it does have its fair share of entrepreneurial spirit, I believe people are in general quite negative about those taking risks, showing outwardly you want to improve yourself and talking about a book such as fastlane would receive looks of 'what kinda dick are you?".

The constant rain also doesnt help-Now I know ppl will say (and they are right) that this is something I can control-living somewhere hotter and sunnier I believe would make you a more positive person in general so if this was an option go for it ( difficult (but not impossible)with kids i appreciate in school etc)

Not wanting to shamelessly hawk one of my own threads from the start of this week-I have set an 11 week goal for myself to have made affirmative action to my financial and body perspective-so feel free to have a gander at that and join me in this process-If we all push ourselves-almost to the point of feeling guilty we havent done anything-surely this inaction that is engulfing our lifes can be smashed through and we can move onwards and upwards.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
@Five Star your story likely resonates with more people than you might think. I'm going to go outside and do some stuff now but later I will re read this (and the links) and maybe share some comments then.

For now, know you aren't the only guy in a similar rut, and know it isn't terminal.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Nice intro ! Great suggestions and advice from everyone. You and I also have several things in common.

I noticed a flair in your writing too..FYI.

Instead of quoting everyone, I'm just going to add my 2 cents and share some things that helped me.

I'm A.D.D. and it sounds like maybe you are to ? Or A.D.H.D. ? This isn't a bad thing necessarily...it's just different. I take meds for mine and it's made a world of difference but it's not a cure and I wouldn't want it to be.

Planning/goals. I write down weekly and daily goals / To Do's but not hourly. I tried the hourly and for several reasons it didn't work for me. Since I have A.D.D., I work very hard at keeping at one task/goal until it's complete. I use a notepad, calendar, and Trello....and Sticky notes...yea, they still make 'em. When I need a break and want to go to FB or YouTube, I leave my desk and go do something. Can be anything...cleaning, read a book, phone calls, etc. Nothing too involved. Just enough for a break.

Success/focus. I need a little success daily to keep me moving and motivated. It doesn't have to be a big 'win'...it can be as simple as connecting with someone I've been trying to for a while. I also stay focused on what others need...not what I need (this has been covered by many in the Forum).

Some people can handle several big goals or changes at once in their life. I cannot. Seems I'm limited to about 3. After that, the others fall to the wayside. I always cringe when someone tells me their New Year's goals are to quit smoking, loose weight, work out, get a new job, and start dating. Really ? Well...I sincerely hope it all works out.....but... I think they're setting themselves up for failure by taking on too much. But....everyone's different. Just my opinion.

You'll hear this a lot too...Do Something. Just try something. Follow through. I've done this many times this past 2 yrs and it's ALL been good even though 99% have 'failed'.

I do something nice for someone every chance I get. It's amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted on your successes.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I didn't realise, just thought it was a cool name, with a good ring to it!

I assumed that you could only use a pen name for fictional items.
Yep, I used to know his real name and fb but I forgot now - not that I would post here anyways.

But MJ DeMarco is a cool pen name, makes you wonder about it instantly.

Eben Pagan used a pen name for many years to start & operate his very successfull company "DoubleYourDating" and more.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the advice, sounds like you're going through similar. I definitely need to shift my mindset and try to discover what the end goal is.

Do you have a plan laid out to break free from your job?

Working on it :) Have a few ideas - just having to play the waiting game a little and cash up to go full throttle with them. I don't entirely hate my job but I hate the concept of doing it for another 10 years.. But having a general plan has made it infinitely more bearable.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Are you my doppelganger?

Had to Google this! Lol

Yes, it seems we have a lot in common. Really interested to learn that there's someone else here from Northern Ireland, never expected that!!

You mentioned relocation in a reply earlier- NI, whilst it does have its fair share of entrepreneurial spirit, I believe people are in general quite negative about those taking risks, showing outwardly you want to improve yourself and talking about a book such as fastlane would receive looks of 'what kinda dick are you?".

There is a bit of Entrepreneurial spirit around, though I can't help but feel opportunities are limited. Maybe that's just my limited thinking though, I'm not sure. I agree with with the statement about peoples reaction though when you mention going 'fastlane'. It feels like it's easier to keep it to yourself.

The weather sucks! Which is a good enough reason to move, but yes, easier said than done.

Good luck on your fitness goals, I'll keep checking in on your progress post. I need to exercise more myself, clear the head a bit.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@Five Star your story likely resonates with more people than you might think. I'm going to go outside and do some stuff now but later I will re read this (and the links) and maybe share some comments then.

For now, know you aren't the only guy in a similar rut, and know it isn't terminal.

Yes, I'm starting to realise that! Reassuring to know I'm not the only one feeling so frustrated.

I'll look forward to your further comments, if and when you have a chance. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.