The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A 30yr old searchers story...

Thunderind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 3, 2015
Perth Australia
Hi, My name is Jody from Perth, Australia. I'm 30yrs old, married with no kids.

I have always been searching for something higher, my purpose so to speak, and i think my history is proof of that.

I always believed school was a bit of a joke, i was being taught things i knew i wouldn't need. I thought if i left i would have a head start on everyone. So i left in year 9 to be a Mechanic. I realized that was going to take me no where so i went back to school to study. Another 6 months of that and i was gone again to become an electrician, I received honors from tafe in my first year and in my second year i branched out to be dual traded with refrigeration mechanics.

I only lasted another year when i wanted to go even further, things were moving too slow for me. My father (my mentor) was a Mechanical Engineer, primarily in the HVAC side of things and was talking about starting up his own company. So at 20 my father and I started our first company. It was a great success and money was flowing in for very little effort. I became recognized in the Perth HVAC market and opportunities where everywhere. Things were happening fast, by now i had built my new dream home, had a beautiful fiance, great mates and great toys. My father got sick with cancer and i took over the company. He passed shortly after my wedding.

I was completely lost. I had no idea what to do. I kept the company running while i tried to figure out what i would do. Then i had a brilliant idea, an idea which i would deeply regret later. I was always into cars, i was a car nut. I had my first car when i was 13. I completely restored it and modified it. So something with cars and performance it had to be.

With the money i made from the last company i setup the new. It was a huge startup cost. But it became one of the best shops in Perth. By age 24 i was once again know around Perth, but for this company and the cars we were producing. The company was turning well over 1 Million in its first year and over 2 in its second. But i was reckless. The profits i continually spent on my own cars, on a new workshop, on new tools, things i did not need. I was so into it i shut down the other company so i could concentrate more on this. But before i knew it, i hated cars. I hated talking about them, even seeing them would get to me. I realized this isn't for me, I didn't want to work with my passion, so i shut it down (there is other reasons but we don't have all day).

Another 3 yrs had gone by, i had gone backwards. I was broke and extremely in debt. I also had to remember that i needed to support my mother, her house loan, her way of life, i couldn't just roll up in a ball or put my head in the sand and wait for it to be over. I needed money and i needed it fast.
So off to the 9-5 i went. I got a job as a Projects Manager with a large Air-conditioning company which knew me from mine and my fathers company. I didn't even need a resume, i just walked in. Day in, day out i sat in traffic for 40mins each way to get there. I did long hours and because i was on salary i felt like i got nothing for the extra effort.

I spent the next 3 yrs paying back the debt from the company and trying to get my head straight. Late last year i had finally paid back all the debt, I felt free again! I still had my mortgage and car loans and was living week to week but that's normal isn't it? Well it is for everyone i know. I took a holiday with some mates to America, LA, Vegas and Hawaii in May. It was then it came back to me. I remembered that i'm still searching. I remembered that i'm not doing this for the rest of my life like so many others do. So when i landed late May i went into the office and resigned. No backup plan, nothing.

Now here I sit typing this almost two months later with only $1,500 in the bank, maxed credit cards, and my mums and my house loans due in two weeks. This last week i've turned off the TV, shutdown all subscriptions and removed Facebook. I've also learnt more in the last week than the last 2 yrs.

I've always have some great ideas, Ideas about household power generation and hot water heating. I need some more money to investigate these further. I need more knowledge to know the right way to go about this. And this brought me here.

So Hello all!! Nice to meet you, I will be here for a while :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have had many ups and downs. You can use those for leverage later...if you change your mindset. IMHO I would concentrate on 2 areas going forward:

1.From your intro, it looks like you don't respect money. I would change my relationship with it.
2. I would also work on persistence. Here is a great book - The Art of Persistence.

Good luck on your journey!

Thunderind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 3, 2015
Perth Australia
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. And yes your right it is the main thing I'm focusing on changing. Thanks for the book recommendation. It looks good and I'll start reading it straight away.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...