The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need to build a website. Not sure where to start.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Hey All,
After numerous attempts in various fields without much to show for it, some of my work is finally gaining traction. I've seen moderate success in writing in a niche non-fiction field that is heavily data oriented, and it's been brought to my attention that people are willing to pay me more for further information. I had the idea to put out new information on a monthly basis, and charge a subscription fee for it. The idea is still forming, but I know the general direction I need to move in.

Now instead of just writing more books and emailing them out, I want to put up a website that will handle this. I already have a domain name registered, but now I'm not sure where to go next. I need a service that can handle site hosting (free or paid doesn't really matter as long as it's quality service), site building, landing page, allow minor editing, blogging/vlogging etc., paid memberships and subscriptions, and member management (i.e. emailed reminders that subscription is about to expire). A single service that could handle all of them would be great, but not essential.

Anyone who uses websites in their businesses have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Hey All,
After numerous attempts in various fields without much to show for it, some of my work is finally gaining traction. I've seen moderate success in writing in a niche non-fiction field that is heavily data oriented, and it's been brought to my attention that people are willing to pay me more for further information. I had the idea to put out new information on a monthly basis, and charge a subscription fee for it. The idea is still forming, but I know the general direction I need to move in.

Now instead of just writing more books and emailing them out, I want to put up a website that will handle this. I already have a domain name registered, but now I'm not sure where to go next. I need a service that can handle site hosting (free or paid doesn't really matter as long as it's quality service), site building, landing page, allow minor editing, blogging/vlogging etc., paid memberships and subscriptions, and member management (i.e. emailed reminders that subscription is about to expire). A single service that could handle all of them would be great, but not essential.

Anyone who uses websites in their businesses have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Any good hosting service will be paid. But they can be be very cheap to start off with. With BlueHost you can start with as little as like $3 a month.

I think it would be a lot more efficient and cheaper to put your books on Amazon or Kindle and referring them to your site. If you end up with a lot of site visitors, it will cost you more and more to host it.

If you're going to have videos on your site, use a link to YouTube. Hosting them directly from your site will take up an insane amount of bandwidth (if three people view a video, it it could be like a GB).

Good luck.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
WordPress is easy to learn. I threw up my website I about 3 hours with no prior knowledge of building websites.

Have a look on YouTube for videos to show you, Tyler Moore has some awesome videos and is really clear and concise.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I would suggest wordpress, you can learn it kinda fast and you find a ton load of tutorials and information about it on the internet. Just find a theme that can handle the things you need.

I can recommend using 'Visual Composer' if you are not that much into html/css/php/etc.
Learning some basic html and css can only help though.

I'm using the theme called X by Themeco, it's aweseome. But you should check if the theme can do what you need for your website before buying one.

Just visit themeforest.net and browse through all the themes.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
I recommend as the other guys starting with wordpress as it is easy and there is an array of youtube tutorials/websites showing you how to do pretty much anything.

If the website really takes off you can easily transfer/upgrade your account with the host to a bigger package (provided the £££ is coming in ha)

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking through WordPress related stuff right now. I'm still not sure if it can do everything I need, but I guess time will tell.

The data I would like to sell will be customized to the user based on their responses to a questionaire. Would anyone happen to know if WordPress tools can handle automated generation data based on responses?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking through WordPress related stuff right now. I'm still not sure if it can do everything I need, but I guess time will tell.

The data I would like to sell will be customized to the user based on their responses to a questionaire. Would anyone happen to know if WordPress tools can handle automated generation data based on responses?
I'm sure there is a WordPress plugin out there for what you need, it just takes some time testing them out to find which is right for you. I would suggest getting a self-hosted site that supports wordpress rather than going through wordpress.com

Wordpress.com is great for traffic, but sucks when it comes to customization and control, not to mention they don't allow plugins. On the other hand, what you could do is get standalone hosting and sync it to wordpress.com to help with traffic a bit.

WP is great for ease of use, but takes some getting used to as it works primarily as a blog platform. When I first started creating websites (1999?) shit was real primitive. I gave up web design a long time ago and started again recently, there was a lot to learn as a lot has changed. Use YouTube - it will be your best friend and go with the MJ method: learn what you need to as you go along.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I'd like to thank everyone again for the input. It turned out to be very useful. I put together a website using the suggested Tyler Moore WordPress theme. It is a simple interface but looks very slick.

Now I'd like to put up the same thing in another language. Does anyone know how best to achieve this? I see websites with buttons on the top right that will automatically change the display language. I'd like to do something like that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check out the Gravity Forms Wordpress plugin for the survey/questionnaire you're thinking of.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.