The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just got married... Now I feel restricted and powerless

Anything related to matters of the mind

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
P.S. Remember what I said about getting a vasectomy ...?

Exhibit A

$500 bucks (cost of the procedure) ... could have changed his life ... and preserved his freedom.

Too late now.

So fellas ... who here reading this thread wants to become Exhibit B ...?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
this is something you should have ironed out before you got married.
Anything I throw at her, it's all "no, go back to the job market and look for a job"

Most people never succeed because they are emotional, short-term decision makers who make their choices based upon what feels good now, versus what shouldn't be done, or done later. As a result, the end up living a reactive life where life becomes a management exercise into mollifying their poor choices. Sure getting married is excited, the wife is hot, and the sex is great, but none of this plays a long-term role in determining if your marriage will survive.

In effect, you agree to strap a piano on your back because you liked it's music and now you want to complain about it's weight. While that sounds like a negative directed at your wife, it's directed toward you. You both sound like two different persons, oil, and water-- and now you're upset they aren't mixing.

My advice is not to get married with this person. But I guess that's irrelevant now, and now, you're left to pickup the pieces.

That said, get divorced per @Esquire or "man-up" to your choice per @Vigilante 's advice and be the husband your wife (and child) will want.

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
'Entrepreneurship' OR 'a job' are not binary options.

You've told yourself that they are. But that's bullshit.

You can have your cake and eat it too - it'll just take a while longer.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Sounds like yet another person that jumped into marriage just because "thats what you do". Maybe should have thought about it a little bit. Bringing a kid into the world and getting married when you cant support either isnt a very good decision.

This right here is why divorce happens so often now. People get married because its "what people do". Not even sure how much they even like each other. Let alone want to spend their life with that person. It sounds to me like you werent even aware of your partners thoughts on your career ambitions. Thats pretty wacked out. Go get a job. Good luck.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
The reason you are getting shit from your wife is because you are failing to make her happy. Male energy is all about purpose, drive, mission in life. Women just want to be submissive and know that her man takes care of the important stuff and then submit all their love to you. Women want you to be the man and they don’t want to wear your big boy pants. It is not their natural essence and they feel uncomfortable in it. There are a lot of couples out there where a woman is walking in front, doesn’t take care of herself like she used to, cuts her hair really short and man is lurking behind, constantly arguing, they never show any affection, they are being unhappy, but just staying together because of the kids. Sounds pretty horrible, doesn’t it?

About the ideas you are throwing out, it’s just talk, but not much action behind it? Get a job, use some funds on business, run with some ideas under the radar and then come out with them if you got a chance to get them working. Think there was a quote what went like this: “Don't tell the world what you are going to do. Show them”.

There are pretty good books out there about relationship dynamics. You can google Corey Wayne or watch his youtube videos. He is pretty good with his stuff. Think he has been mentioned before in this forum as well.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
any psychologists here?? lol!

Yes actually! :)

But on a different note. A partner isn't always an obstacle... My fiancee actually kicks my a$$ and told me several times to stop Wantrepeneuring/reading and start doing something, test the market. We've been together since high school for 9+ years now and only live togethers for 8 months.. But we respect eachother AND we made it clear, that we both can have our dreams/will help eachother at reaching it.

I've started to take real action because of her... And she is the best motivator, I could ever have! The "bonus" is that her dad has his own family business, she grew up with the business and how it expanded during 3 generations... So she knows what's coming, but she's prepared!

Therapy counseling can work.. But living together with your parents, as newley weds.. You need time to adapt together first as well.
A good mariage/relationship is like a business, handle it with care & passion.. It are the daily tasks that makes it worth it in the end, but you'll have to work for it.

The best of luck to both of you...

Last edited:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think you both can be right. You can get a job and work on passive income. Fortunately, if you have a baby on the way, that is priority over your fastlane ideas. The babies needs and need to be taken care of, this is probably why it's stressing her out. Most families both parents have to work, and sure if you have a baby coming 6 months to a year emergency fund is necessary for rent and utilities etc. Sure it's a great idea to pursue fast lane, but at the same time you're taking risks for two other people besides yourself. Parents aren't going to take care of your family. It's both of your responsibilities. You both chose the life and the baby experience.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
2 Weeks ago, my wife was yelling at me to go get a job
Yesterday, after finding a job and being fired, due to inexperience, within a week of working, Wife was yelling at me "We can't support ourselves with pay like that, let alone the baby thats on the way"
We are currently living at my parents house and to add to that, We have over 10k just sitting around... Which she wants to save to use for an apt 3 months from now.
I keep telling her, lets use a little bit of that money to make some money, a small risk, like buying liquidations and reselling on ebay or something (after doing research and what not to minimize risk). Whatever the investment along with risk is, that is just an example. So lets not try to derail the thread.

Anything I throw at her, it's all "no, go back to the job market and look for a job" well, I agree 100% with looking for a job, but lets also attempt to grow this capital that we have on hand! I can't seem to break through to her that I am not the type of person that will settle for a 9 to 5 temp job making $10 and hour. I keep moving forward and I feel like she is suppressing my urge to take calculated risks.

How do I break it through to her that I want to take these risks while it is somewhat safe to do so?? I feel like she does not want me to do these things, she prefers for me to settle with a well paying job.... I DON'T WANT TO SETTLE, THAT IS NOT ME! I WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AND FORGET ABOUT 9 TO 5'S! I just want her to understand that I want the best for us and our family to come.

any psychologists here?? lol!
1- Not a psychologist
2- Single guy
3- May or may not have kids that I don't know about in New York, North Carolina, Arizona, and Colorado

But I was just having a conversation with a friend with something that may help you out.

When do I find the most clarity in the solution to my problems? When I help someone else through a similar problem.
I just created a course teaching others how to setup a website and start running traffic, and I am using my own business as an example in my videos. I just got up to recording the video of talking about optimizing an email marketing funnel.

Sidebar - Shameless self-promotion for my course -> click here :D

...back on topic.

When I was recording this training video, I noticed that only 23% of the people who signed up for my course even opened the first email. So with the intent of teaching somebody else how to get through this problem, I blurted out the solution to my own problem. My open rate increased 10% the next day.

Oh, and this was after a few weeks of being caught in my head for the solution. When we are 'stuck in our own situation', it is like we are surrounded by a cloud of brain fog that makes it hard to see what we should do.

You see, we have this nasty thing called our ego that gets all of our emotions involved, and in blinds us to see the true solution. So when we disassociate from our own situation, we begin to see clarity in the solution.

Influence and persuasion
If you want to influence someone who speaks Chinese, are you going to speak English?

No, you are going to speak in their language. People are influenced by people who communicate in a similar way to them. And I'm not talking about English or Chinese. I'm talking about the mindset the other person is coming from, their thoughts, and what they believe in life.

You're communicating in English. She is listening in Chinese.

Do you see the disconnect here?

Don't tell her this....but the secret to getting your way and influencing her...is to use this thing I learned during NLP that helps me influence and persuade others without them knowing about it...start communicating in her language (you might say some things you wouldn't normally say, and she might feel like she is 'winning' the conversation...but between you and me...it is really because you are learning how to influence her).

If you communicate with her in her language, from a mindset of where she is coming from..she may be more open to listening.

But in any interaction, there is no 'winning or losing' this argument....there is just two different languages.

The real learning happens when you begin to THINK in her language.

How I would go about handling things if I were in a similar situation?
I would first try to pretend i'm in the mindset of your wife. Try to understand what she is thinking, what thoughts she has, and WHY she thinks this way. It sounds like she doesn't have the Fastlane philosophy..which is OK for this exercise. Just imagine for a second and get in her mind. I'm single, but I hear these females have a desire for stability and want that in their life, esp. with a kid on the way.

Step 2 - I would write out a letter to another guy who is taking similar actions you were taking them, and communicating in the way you were communicating.

Tell this other guy how he could improve his communication with his wife in a similar situation, and what actions he could take that doesn't focus on the shot term, but the bigger picture.

And just like my business problem was solved after I disassociated from my own situation and taught someone else how to get through a similar situation...the fog instantly cleared, and my problem was a thing of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Family first. That's your real job... to provide for them.
^
+ No matter what you do, you have to accept that you're probably going to fail since you're still new to the game. You don't have the luxury of failing and losing ANYTHING because of your commitments.

Don't be a douchebag.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You both sound like two different persons, oil, and water-- and now you're upset they aren't mixing.

My advice is not to get married with this person. But I guess that's irrelevant now, and now, you're left to pickup the pieces.

That said, get divorced per @Esquire or "man-up" to your choice per @Vigilante 's advice and be the husband your wife (and child) will want.

We don't really know whether they are two different people. His wife is pregnant and living with his parents while this loser is feeding her big business opportunity dreams yet can't keep a job for a week. She's just being a realist. We don't know what she'd be saying if they had 200k in the bank and he decided to take out some of it to start a biz.

This divorce talk at this point in their lives is madness, you suppose he should put the extra responsibility on this woman right after she gives birth?

Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
We don't really know whether they are two different people. His wife is pregnant and living with this parents while this loser is feeding her big business opportunity dreams yet can't keep a job for a week. She's just being a realist. We don't know what she'd be saying if they had 200k in the bank and he decided to take out some of it to start a biz.

This divorce talk at this point in their lives is madness, you suppose he should put the extra responsibility on this woman right after she gives birth?

Respectfully, I disagree.

How many people have $200k in the bank without first starting some sort of successful business? Other than inheritances and lottery winners, very few. In fact, most people in the US live paycheck to paycheck. The amount of money in your bank account shouldn't change WHO you are.

I think the divorce talk or the man up talk (@Vigilante ) is completely warranted and accurate at this point.

I do agree with you that the OP should get a job, and figure out a way to start a business while supporting his family - because he has no other choice. He's in this position now and can't go back.

Perhaps, OP, you need to take a hard look in the mirror for attacking your wife.

@Esquire - I think I need that vasectomy after reading this thread...

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
The amount of money in your bank account shouldn't change WHO you are.
Yes, but it can change your decision-making process. I think the point @Rawr was making is that it's not like they're swimming in extra money. They're shacked up with parents and have a baby on the way. This isn't the time to be risking money that's been set aside for housing. It especially isn't the time if the guy has no track record of success and can't even hold down a regular job.

I mean seriously?

Besides, everyone here is overlooking a major point. WHERE did this 10K come from? Did he earn it himself? Or was it the wife's? Was it a wedding gift? Half the people on here are zooming in on the fact that his wife "won't let him spend their money." But if the wife (who seems a lot more responsible) was the one who saved/earned/received that money, she has a right (cripes, even a responsibility, considering there's a baby on the way) to protect this money from getting frittered away in inexperienced hands.

And yes, I'd be saying exactly the same thing if the gender roles were reversed. Look, the guy didn't mind criticizing his wife to all of us here. Do you REALLY think he'd have resisted telling us that HE was the one who brought the money into the marriage. IMO, it's pretty obvious he had very little to do with saving or earning that money, but now that he's married, he has his eye on it, because "he's an entrepreneur, dammit."

Here's what I think is going on. They were given (or she saved) 10K for housing. The guy thinks he can turn that 10K into 15K or whatever, and no one will be the wiser. But the wife knows that it won't go down that way, and she'll be stuck shacked up with parents forever.

IMO, the guy is lucky to have a gal like this, because she's smart. If he divorced her for this (or heaven forbid because of what a bunch of strangers say on the internet) he's a damn fool.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yes, but it can change your decision-making process. I think the point @Rawr was making is that it's not like they're swimming in extra money. They're shacked up with parents and have a baby on the way. This isn't the time to be risking money that's been set aside for housing. It especially isn't the time if the guy has no track record of success and can't even hold down a regular job.

I mean seriously?

That's exactly my point.

Most successful people I know have taken big risks with little to no money to their name.

When I quit my job, I didn't even have $10k in the bank. I just jumped, and took the risk.

When I moved out of state, I only had a couple thousand dollars to my name.

When I started my first business I moved in with my parents at 28, to have more disposable income for the business. Only save me $700/month, but that was $700 extra i could spend on my business and not worry about.

When MJ moved to Phoenix, he didn't have a large cash windfall in case shit didn't work out. He jumped and took a leap.

Obviously, the OP is in a very different situation.

What I am is saying is people can have very different appetites for risk. Most successful entrepreneurs have a large appetite for risk.

Having a wife and child changes that equation for many people.

Perhaps he should have chosen to marry someone else, or wait to have a child.

Nonetheless, he's made his decisions.

I again believe that money shouldn't change who you are.

The $10,000 is completely irrelevant in this situation, and the problem goes much deeper than just money at this point.

Honestly, you CAN raise a health child and a family while living with your parents. Does it suck? Possibly. Is it looked down upon? Yes, by most.

Is it a sacrifice that sometimes needs to be made if you want a more successful future? Probably.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
That's exactly my point.

Most successful people I know have taken big risks with little to no money to their name.

When I quit my job, I didn't even have $10k in the bank. I just jumped, and took the risk.

When I moved out of state, I only had a couple thousand dollars to my name.

When I started my first business I moved in with my parents at 28, to have more disposable income for the business. Only save me $700/month, but that was $700 extra i could spend on my business and not worry about.

When MJ moved to Phoenix, he didn't have a large cash windfall in case shit didn't work out. He jumped and took a leap.

Obviously, the OP is in a very different situation.

What I am is saying is people can have very different appetites for risk. Most successful entrepreneurs have a large appetite for risk.

Having a wife and child changes that equation for many people.

Perhaps he should have chosen to marry someone else, or wait to have a child.

Nonetheless, he's made his decisions.

I again believe that money shouldn't change who you are.

The $10,000 is completely irrelevant in this situation, and the problem goes much deeper than just money at this point.

Honestly, you CAN raise a health child and a family while living with your parents. Does it suck? Possibly. Is it looked down upon? Yes, by most.

Is it a sacrifice that sometimes needs to be made if you want a more successful future? Probably.

Put down the bong dude. Read it tomorrow when you're sober.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
You make some excellent points, and I see where you're coming from. But I believe it's not HIS money he's risking. The way I see it, he has two complaints with his wife:
  1. She won't let him spend the 10K.
  2. She wants him to get a job.
About the 10K, I don't think it's his money. And boy, we all know how easy it is to spend money that someone else saved or acquired.

About the job, I'm sure she'd be pleased if he did something to bring in money. If he's a true risk-taker/entrepreneur, he won't need someone else's 10K to make it happen. He'll hustle to get the money. If he can't do that, he's not cut out for this biz in the first place.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Yes, yes, yes. But he wants HER to make the sacrifice. He wants HER to give up the money set aside for housing. That's why it's so damned important where the 10K came from. If he didn't earn it himself, what right does he have to claim it? Why should SHE sacrifice the home so he can play at business?

Dang, there's a ton of threads right here on this forum that tell someone how to make money without any up-front costs. Rather than getting out and earning a few bucks, why is he bitching about the 10K that he probably didn't do a darn thing to earn himself?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
How do I break it through to her that I want to take these risks while it is somewhat safe to do so?? I/QUOTE]

You prove it to her by actions so she starts to gain trust in you. Once you've proven you can bring home some money to keep you afloat, that shows responsibility. Then you start doing these side things. Once you show her the earnings for the last month or two where you made something worthwhile, she'll start trusting. Once you show her 6 months of these, she'll trust you.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Yes, yes, yes. But he wants HER to make the sacrifice. He wants HER to give up the money set aside for housing. That's why it's so damned important where the 10K came from. If he didn't earn it himself, what right does he have to claim it? Why should SHE sacrifice the home so he can play at business?

Dang, there's a ton of threads right here on this forum that tell someone how to make money without any up-front costs. Rather than getting out and earning a few bucks, why is he bitching about the 10K that he probably didn't do a darn thing to earn himself?
Yeah.. I mean, family is family, support is support - but don't you feel bad that others are giving you freebies? OP didn't seem to feel bad or appreciate, rather seemed to be complaining about his situation. Lol

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Wow, interesting thread.

First, let's examine this stigma associated with "living in your parents' basement." Where does that come from? Until WWII most Americans lived in rural communities and kids routinely lived with their parents and possibly grandparents and worked the farm together, which passed from generation to generation. It wasn't until after WWII when relatively good paying blue collar jobs became plentiful that successive generations moved away to work in the cities and bought their own houses, which as a percentage of income, were much more affordable than today. This gave rise to the mortgage and real estate brokering industries which heavily promoted home ownership as the "American Dream." House prices rose compared to income due to the availability of long term financing, making home ownership life long debt slavery for most, while rapidly rising prices enabled real estate agents to cash in on the "flip this house" shell game. All of this came to a head with the real estate bubble, which was a direct result of the mortgage industry coming up with more and more gimmicky loans to continue fueling the price escalation. I remember my wife telling me about someone she knew, an engineer making about $70,000 annually at the time, buying a $1,000,000 house with a "zero interest" mortgage. My response was, he was bankrupt the minute he signed the loan documents, he just doesn't know it yet." I was right, he couldn't "flip" it before the rate reset to include the interest and his payment went from $2,000/Mo. to $10,000/mo.

Some may say the couple in question should rent instead, but rents have risen along with mortgage rates since most rental properties are mortgaged. Is spending a hefty down payment (or security deposit) plus shelling out a big chunk (often more than 50%) of their monthly income really the best option for a young couple just trying to get on their feet, let alone raise a child, when they have a no-cost option that will allow them to save money? I don't know how many children the parents have, but perhaps one day this couple may even inherit the house. This is how families can build wealth rather then give it away the the mortgage company. In fact, it what the super rich do. They add another wing on the mansion or make room at the family compound. There's no stigma there, and should not be here. I for one like the fact that we're seeing more multi-generational families staying together and hope the trend continues.

With that out of the way, yes, the child changes things. A huge problem in my opinion, is people give less thought to having a child than they do to deciding what car they want to buy. Many have children (more then one often) before they are financially stable, leading to a life of poverty for both parent and child. And while some fathers feel the pain, it's usually the mother that suffers the most. Having a child to take care of drastically reduces the chance to further one's education in order to get a better paying job, that time available to work at any job, or the opportunity to start a business. That said, the couple in question have already crossed that bridge and there's no going back. So, they need to take advantage of living rent free at least until they are financially stable.

As far as jobs are concerned, that's hard because those high paying blue collar jobs I spoke of earlier are rare these days. Mostly, all that are available are low paying service jobs. Here's a road map though. I'm sure it's not the only one, but it's the one I would follow if I were in that situation.

1) Assuming being with child hasn't progressed to the point where she cannot work - wife gets a job (ducks!). And not just any job. Get a waitress job at the classiest restaurant that will hire her. Learn the job. Be the best. Move up the a better restaurant. Top wait staff can make upwards of $100K in total compensation with tips. After the baby is born, if the parents are willing (most grandparents are), let them take care of the child while wife goes back to work
2) Husband gets a job - look for an entry level sales job that offers training. Many pay a small salary while in training but many entry level sales jobs will be commission only after that. That's okay, because husband is going to soak it up like a sponge and quickly rise to the top of the company's sales force. Why? because it's also the best preparation for being a big shot businessman. We're all first and foremost salespeople!

Now, fast forward a year. Wife and husband enjoy a very good income, have learned the discipline needed to be successful at pretty much whatever they chose, can give something back the the parents if they'll accept it, and while continuing to bring in income from their jobs, can begin a business partnership to start their fastlane dreams.

Or, give up and condemn themselves to a life of poverty and sponging off others, eventually including us taxpayers.

Cheers,
O-2

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Wow, interesting thread.

First, let's examine this stigma associated with "living in your parents' basement." Where does that come from? Until WWII most Americans lived in rural communities and kids routinely lived with their parents and possibly grandparents and worked the farm together, which passed from generation to generation. It wasn't until after WWII went relatively good paying blue collar jobs became plentiful that successive generations moved away to work in the cities and bought their own houses, which as a percentage of income, were much more affordable than today. This gave rise to the mortgage and real estate brokering industries which heavily promoted home ownership as the "American Dream." House prices rose compared to income due to the availability of long term financing, making home ownership life long debt slavery for most, while rapidly rising prices enabled real estate agents to cash in on the "flip this house" shell game. All of this came to a head with the real estate bubble, which was a direct result of the mortgage industry coming up with more and more gimmicky loans to continue fueling the price escalation. I remember my wife telling me about someone she knew, an engineer making about $70,000 annually at the time, buying a $1,000,000 house with a "zero interest" mortgage. My response was, he was bankrupt the minute he signed the loan documents, he just doesn't know it yet." I was right, he couldn't "flip" it before the rate reset to include the interest and his payment went from $2,000/Mo. to $10,000/mo.

Some may say the couple in question should rent instead, but rents have risen along with mortgage rates since most rental properties are mortgaged. Is spending a hefty down payment (or security deposit) plus shelling out a big chunk (often more than 50%) of their monthly income really the best option for a young couple just trying to get on their feet, let alone raise a child, when they have a no-cost option that will allow them to save money? I don't know how many children the parents have, but perhaps one day this couple may even inherit the house. This is how families can build wealth rather then give it away the the mortgage company. In fact, it what the super rich do. They add another wing on the mansion or make room at the family compound. There's no stigma there, and should not be here. I for one like the fact that we're seeing more multi-generational families staying together and hope the trend continues.

With that out of the way, yes, the child changes things. A huge problem in my opinion, is people give less thought to having a child than they do to deciding what car they want to buy. Many have children (more then one often) before they are financially stable, leading to a life of poverty for both parent and child. And while some fathers feel the pain, it's usually the mother that suffers the most. Having a child to take care of drastically reduces the chance to further one's education in order to get a better paying job, that time available to work at any job, or the opportunity to start a business. That said, the couple in question have already crossed that bridge and there's no going back. So, the need to take advantage of living rent free at least until they are fanatically stable.

As far as jobs are concerned, that's hard because those high paying blue collar jobs I spoke of earlier are rare these days. Mostly, all that are available are low paying service jobs. Here's a road map though. I'm sure it's not the only one, but it's the one I would follow if I were in that situation.

1) Assuming being with child hasn't progressed to the point where she cannot work - wife gets a job (ducks!). And not just any job. Get a waitress job at the classiest restaurant that will hire her. Learn the job. Be the best. Move up the a better restaurant. Top wait staff can make upwards of $100K in total compensation with tips. After the baby is born, if the parents are willing (most grandparents are), let them take care of the child while wife goes back to work
2) Husband gets a job - look for an entry level sales job that offers training. Many pay a small salary while in training but many entry level sales jobs will be commission only after that. That's okay, because husband is going to soak it up like a sponge and quickly rise to the top of the company's sales force. Why? because it's also the best preparation for being a big shot businessman. We're all first and foremost salespeople!

Now, fast forward a year. Wife and husband enjoy a very good income, have learned the discipline needed to be successful at pretty much whatever they chose, can give something back the the parents if they'll accept it, and while continuing to bring in income from their jobs, can begin a business partnership to start their fastlane dreams.

Or, give up and condemn themselves to a life of poverty and sponging off others, eventually including us taxpayers.

Cheers,
O-2
Exactly why I said to get into sales, but said about 10x better than I did. Awesome post O-2.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Exactly why I said to get into sales, but said about 10x better than I did. Awesome post O-2.
Thanks! I wouldn't necessarily say it's awesome, but I like to offer people solutions. Too many posters want to either scold the OP or say "well dude, you're f'ed."

Cheers,
O-2

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Inform her via allowing her to read a copy of the millionaire fastlane , or other ways.(books, videos etc whatever)

She probably is afraid of what to her is an unknown and risky future.

The more info and understanding she gains of your position, strategy and actions. The less likely she should oppose your actions.

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
$10k is nothing. I lost 11k in six months when I was trying to figure out "entrepreneurial ventures". I was married, but didn't have a kid. The money I spent was not our money, it was money I made after months of flipping cell phones on Craigslist. Don't risk all that you have in the bank.

Several months after this, my wife cringed when I said I was going to order stuff from China. She was totally against it. So I hustled some money on the side, NEVER touched "our" money, and sixth months later, I was making $5,000 profit a month... and am now hitting the exponential curve upwards.

My wife and I don't fight. It's because there's a phrase that is always in my mind, "If it's important to you, it's important to me". Take care of what's important for her, and then you'll be free to pursue what's important to you. Marriage is about service, not selfishness. Your wife is not being irrational, listen to her.

Temporarily working a 9 to 5 job is not settling.

*word

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.