The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money System - What Are You Investing That's Getting 5% Return?

Bobby-H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 29, 2015
I've been looking at all the Vanguard ETFs and nothing gives around 5%, not the VIG or anything in dividends.

The only things giving 5% would be a really extremely risky bond for corporations or international bonds.

What are you investing in that gives 5% returns for your money system?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Stock market listed real estate investment companies.

Closest thing I know to real passive income.

I'm not talking stock price appreciation, just dividend pay out.

Study their annual reports first and get a grip on the industry before you jump into it though.

Bobby-H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 29, 2015
Do you mean something like KRC?

Do you have any recommendations on which companies to start studying?

Bobby-H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 29, 2015
Gotta start somewhere :) - Will go higher once I'm an accredited investor for certain REITS.

Bobby-H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 29, 2015
Found a dividend that pays out at 6.9% - though their stock is a rollarcoaster: CLCT

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I'm determined to figure out what my father's financial advisor is doing that makes 30% to 50% return consistently. Those numbers are unheard of!

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I've been looking at all the Vanguard ETFs and nothing gives around 5%, not the VIG or anything in dividends.

The only things giving 5% would be a really extremely risky bond for corporations or international bonds.

What are you investing in that gives 5% returns for your money system?

Bobby, I offer 5% preferred return to my investors on my Real Estate projects. Would love to talk more offline if that interests you.

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I'm determined to figure out what my father's financial advisor is doing that makes 30% to 50% return consistently. Those numbers are unheard of!

Certainly possible on a case by case basis, but very difficult to sustain.

For Instance, in Real Estate, returns in the 50 - 100% or even more are very achievable if you're sophisticated enough to know what you're doing. Most returns like that come from Tax Liens and Deeds, Non-Performing Notes, and Redevelopment opportunities on distressed assets.

I've made 300% flipping mobile homes, and looking at a 25% return on a shopping center.

Would love to know what he's doing though, hope you can find out!

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
P2P lending, 10 to 12%, currently looking into car loans and RE loans on European platforms. Both collaterized.

Needless to say, put your eggs in many baskets.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Bernie-Madoff.jpg

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
For better than 5% ( on average ) you need to look outside the US.

Sure it can be done within the US, but many emerging markets outside the US are giving better rates in many areas.

For one, bank deposits alone in other countries. RE in other countries, bonds, etc.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Mintos, specially looking into the car loans as there is a buyback guarentee, if the loan defaults 60+ days they will buy back your part.

And Estateguru for RE loans.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing @Phones! Any pointers/resources how to not get burned? Please PM me if you'd rather not talk about it publicly.

G

GuestUser140

This is awesome, thanks for sharing @Phones! Any pointers/resources how to not get burned? Please PM me if you'd rather not talk about it publicly.
+1

Edit: it seems a lot of p2p lending platforms are popping up in the Baltics...

Last edited by a moderator:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011

I don't have much experience but I have been following FB groups were there are some heavy investors. Have been following Bondora (the biggest and most known P2P lending platform here in EU), they have lots of problems with defaults. I'm a little bit biased because the FB groups are usually full of people that were trying too many stuff (like going into high risk loans with 70% interest), but Bondora didn't look so good for them, many were even in the negative grounds. Their default recovery system was also ineffective, so I stayd away.

Now I've been following the Mintos FB group, and there isn't much activity, which is great (there are a lot of people there, but there's not much to talk, meaning things are working properly). I've seen a post about a user having their first default with secured car loans and 1 or 2 days later the company (MOBO) buyed back is position (including interest!).
So like I said before, not only these are collaterized loans, there's also another layer of security. The only risk lies in either Mintos or MOBO going bankrupt.
The rates are 10 to 12% for car loans, for the rest of the loans it doesn't differ much, so I will probably be doing only this ones. You can see info like LTV (Loan to Value), the age of the borrower, country, car model and year, etc.

I looked into why would MOBO do this, and why would people borrow at 10% instead of going to the banks, to summarize, MOBO can grow quickly and has an alternate funding source (us), getting credit at banks at this small amounts (usually <15k €) has too many costs so it's a good alternative. The rates are also decent, I live in Portugal, where car loan rates, even from regular credit companies are going for 9 to 13%, so there rates are competitive.

Estateguru I haven't looked that much into, it's also collateralized with RE. Having the car loan alternative in Mintos, the only reason to go to Estateguru is diversification. Rates are similar to Mintos.

These rates don't take into account income tax, so have that in mind also. In my case, it's 28% (outch)

Needless to say, this isn't professional advice, nor I am liable to anything you may or may not do.

Cheers

G

GuestUser140

The only risk lies in either Mintos or MOBO going bankrupt.

That's the main thing... they are barely a year old and have loaned €4.5M.

In the US, companies like Lending Club and Prosper have loaned $5 and $4 billion respectively.

P2P lending deposits do not fall under EU financial deposit protection schemes (yet).

It's not the borrowers I'm afraid of (diversification), it's the platform. Someone defaulting on a small loan vs. your account going up in smoke overnight...

It almost seems one could launch a Portuguese flavoured platform before Christmas with all the "startups" out there.

Also, how trustworthy are FB groups?

zr1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
May 25, 2011
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nuveen-closed-end-funds-declare-212700594.html

Do due diligence on tax free municipal bonds and choose a few and diversify geographically.

On average, you will get you about 6% tax free (equivalent to 9% taxable yields).

Payout comes in the form of monthly distributions.

$1 million = $5k per month tax free passively.

Live simply and you're out of the rat face and freedom is yours.

Spend 1 hour a week maintaining portfolio.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
It almost seems one could launch a Portuguese flavoured platform before Christmas with all the "startups" out there.

Already done. It's called Raize. 6 to 8% rates on companies with no personal guarantees, nah...

The FB groups in themselves aren't legit, but there are a handful of people common to those groups that invest some nice amounts.

Of course, there are risks associated and the companies being young is definitely something to consider.

Bobby-H

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 29, 2015
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nuveen-closed-end-funds-declare-212700594.html

Do due diligence on tax free municipal bonds and choose a few and diversify geographically.

On average, you will get you about 6% tax free (equivalent to 9% taxable yields).

Payout comes in the form of monthly distributions.

$1 million = $5k per month tax free passively.

Live simply and you're out of the rat face and freedom is yours.

Spend 1 hour a week maintaining portfolio.

Sweet, didn't know there was a list like these for these bonds.

What do you do to purchase the bonds so you don't get hit by a $7~ commission? The only thing I know of right now would be Robinhood.

Also - what do you mainly focus on doing in the 1 hour a week maintaining the portfolio?

Last edited:

zr1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
May 25, 2011
If you are concerned with $7 commissions, it would be wiser to keep it in cash. Focus on your fastlane business first. Save until you reach 7 figures cash and at that point $7 is like buying a stick of gum.

Technical analysis (chart). 15 mins.
Fundamental analysis (news and stats). 45 mins.

CJC3392

Banned
Jan 8, 2015
Not sure if you're trolling but if you're serious there's a rather high probability that your father is involved in some type of scheme if these are consistent returns over multiple years. If it's just this year or even the last 3 you're in the clear, but if this is a multi year thing of consistent returns like that I'd give it a second look.

Seriously, take a look at it. It happens WAY more often than people think. You can PM if you'd like

Last edited:

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
Not sure if you're trolling but if you're serious there is a high probability that your father is involved in some type of scheme if these are consistent returns over multiple years. If it's just this year or even the last 3 you're in the clear, but if this is a multi year thing of consistent returns like that I have some bad news.

Seriously, take a look at it. It happens WAY more often than people think. You can PM if you'd like
I'm not trolling. I hate trolls. I also trust it's not a scheme. The man has become a close friend of my father's, and if you knew my dad, you would know what that says about the man's character. Although, I highly appreciate your concern, I really do. For my father, it hasn't been super long term. It has it's ups and downs, but the guy's reputation shows that it's always been pretty high like that. He has several levels of investments, which do get riskier at the higher returns, but always come back if the money's left in. I've been trying to find out more, but he's pretty closed about it. That guy is just one of many seemingly incredulous people who've helped my dad since he became a Freemason. I've been temped to become one as well, just because of the caliber of people (in character, accomplishments, and career) that he's made friends with. As soon as I can find out more, I'll post more about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.