The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Refurbished Iphone seller...

freakabhi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 8, 2015
All,

I am planning to get into the business of Refurbished iphone seller. There are many seller from Alibaba / Aliexpress who provide
iphones recertified for lesser price as like many other products. I have question on , if anybody worked on getting into such business and can share experience.
I have specific question on how to manage warranties on the products ?

Thanks
Abhijeet R

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
No Control, No Barriers to entry and I bet 99% of those Alibaba sellers are selling rip-offs or stolen phones.

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
Don't buy from alibaba. Those are POS phones. You need to buy used or broken phones, repair if needed. Then resell.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
All,

I am planning to get into the business of Refurbished iphone seller. There are many seller from Alibaba / Aliexpress who provide
iphones recertified for lesser price as like many other products. I have question on , if anybody worked on getting into such business and can share experience.
I have specific question on how to manage warranties on the products ?

Thanks
Abhijeet R

First word of advice: make sure you have a plan and an outline for all of the details surrounding this business before you get started:
Where are you getting phones to refurbish? Where are you buying replacement parts? What avenues are you reselling through? Who is refurbishing them? What level of experience are you requiring to have this done? If you are doing this yourself, how do you want to handle warranties/returns?

I have some experience in the world of iPhone repair. I highly recommend making sure the parts you use are either backed by warranty, or are certified OEM parts. This is going to save you when dealing with customer returns/warranties. You definitely need some sort of warranty, and I would recommend taking a looking at the competition and see what they have to offer. From personal experience, I would offer a 6 month to 1-year warranty. This gives enough of a buffer for the customer to feel secure in their purchase, but also enough of a buffer for you to minimize returns/warranty requests at the same time. Really, it's all up to you. But I would focus on finding out what the competition is doing, what the customer wants, and find the gap between those two so you can differentiate yourself from your competition. Best of luck!

freakabhi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 8, 2015
I could find the seller in the who are dealing with re-certified iPhone and they offer 2 yrs/1 yrr of warranty, ( but am in supplier store ).
I am planning to sell these phone through either ebay or couple of online sellers ( like Amazon ) who allow individual seller to sell their products.

Looking at the competition, they are offer more than year of warranty and returns of 15 days, which is tough to match at the moment.
I did not understand how they are able to offer such level of warranty and return. before diving into business, I need to get warranties and return handled.
Hence I am looking for some ideas around this.

First word of advice: make sure you have a plan and an outline for all of the details surrounding this business before you get started:
Where are you getting phones to refurbish? Where are you buying replacement parts? What avenues are you reselling through? Who is refurbishing them? What level of experience are you requiring to have this done? If you are doing this yourself, how do you want to handle warranties/returns?

I have some experience in the world of iPhone repair. I highly recommend making sure the parts you use are either backed by warranty, or are certified OEM parts. This is going to save you when dealing with customer returns/warranties. You definitely need some sort of warranty, and I would recommend taking a looking at the competition and see what they have to offer. From personal experience, I would offer a 6 month to 1-year warranty. This gives enough of a buffer for the customer to feel secure in their purchase, but also enough of a buffer for you to minimize returns/warranty requests at the same time. Really, it's all up to you. But I would focus on finding out what the competition is doing, what the customer wants, and find the gap between those two so you can differentiate yourself from your competition. Best of luck!

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
why sell something no one wants?
-edit. I'm not being a jerk, im asking why are you selling? are you doing it just to make money?
if so your making someone else money buying phones that no one wants.
unless you have a plan, in which case what are you doing?

I see this like dating sites. ANYONE can toss up a website (buy a website)
and pay to have a dating script created (buy the coding)
and pay for some search engine optimization.
in the end who made anything?

The person buying from the clever coder with a hosting reselling account, who is charging for link ranks, or the person trying to convince people to pay for things that are free?

Last edited:

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
I could find the seller in the who are dealing with re-certified iPhone and they offer 2 yrs/1 yrr of warranty, ( but am in supplier store ).
I am planning to sell these phone through either ebay or couple of online sellers ( like Amazon ) who allow individual seller to sell their products.

Looking at the competition, they are offer more than year of warranty and returns of 15 days, which is tough to match at the moment.
I did not understand how they are able to offer such level of warranty and return. before diving into business, I need to get warranties and return handled.

Phones are tough business either way -- as mentioned by above posters. The sellers/competition you mention can get away with those warranties/return policies because of bulk. They have an established advantage for sure. Best of luck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.