The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you could ask a government official...

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Hi guys, I haven't been on this forum for a while, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been active. I have been... quite a lot. I am tired like s-it, but still moving. Without going into details, I have been active mainly in the government field, networking, making connections and more than everything else, working and learning as much as possible, joining boards etc.

I would like to know your perspective on this... wether you're a fastlaner with a billion dollar business, or a high-school dropout, what would you bring to the table if a government official called to his office in order to understand how to help you and business in general?

One thing I am interested is to see what would you ask/tell depending on the different levels of government. What would you ask to your municipal government? How about state? How about Federal? (if you live outside of the US, please adapt the questions to your government).

Now, why am I asking? Because I believe that business if fundamental to good government. The more I am involved the more I notice that there are two point of views: business oriented vs. welfare oriented.
Trust me: in (US) government, and with closed doors, there is no middle ground. There is no "well, let's help businesses so that we can help poor people" or viceversa. It's like ingrained philosophy. I am not here to explain the how's and why's (I truly don't know the answers), but the more I see government budgets, public finance, and citizen behaviors the more I believe that good, sound businesses is pivotal to have a better government.

Thanks!

PS: of course, the answer "government stay out of it!" is standard, so please avoid it! lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
The government isn't interested in helping me or my business. They want us to be dependent sheep that will continue to vote for bigger and bigger government to "take care of us." The last thing they want is us to be financially independent of government (welfare/food stamps) or big corporations (paychecks) and strong. Wanna help? Stop taxing me out of existence and leave me the hell alone.

Hope this isn't violating any rules on politics. It isn't political - neither approved party has the interest of the majority of us here at heart. If it crosses the line, mods please delete it.

Cheers,
O-2 (Who paid more in 2014 taxes than General Electric, CBS, Jetblue, Time Warner, Xeros, and a host of other Fortune 100 companies.)

Last edited:

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I think you're trying to find a way that you can help, so maybe you can be a consultant that helps with getting government contracts. As for questions, if I had them I'd ask

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
The government isn't interested in helping me or my business. They want us to be dependent sheep that will continue to vote for bigger and bigger government to "take care of us." The last thing they want is us to be financially independent of government (welfare/food stamps) or big corporations (paychecks) and strong. Wanna help? Stop taxing me out of existence and leave me the hell alone.

Hope this isn't violating any rules on politics. It isn't political - neither approved party has the interest of the majority of us here at heart. If it crosses the line, mods please delete it.

Cheers,
O-2 (Who paid more in 2014 taxes than General Electric, CBS, Jetblue, Time Warner, Xeros, and a host of other Fortune 100 companies.)

In other words, less taxes. Do you think that it would be enough to help your business in a substantial way?

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
I think you're trying to find a way that you can help, so maybe you can be a consultant that helps with getting government contracts. As for questions, if I had them I'd ask

Well, I think that the government has the moral duty of helping businesses thrive. Granted, no government should interfere with fair competition, but I find odd that it is easier to bring to the discussion table ways to add to welfare and way difficult to ease pressure on companies and such.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
In other words, less taxes. Do you think that it would be enough to help your business in a substantial way?
That's right. I've turned down business at times because I have no more hours in the day yet I can't afford to hire a larger staff because the tax man is always at my throat. Other then that, leave me alone.

Cheers,
O-2

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
That's right. I've turned down business at times because I have no more hours in the day yet I can't afford to hire a larger staff because the tax man is always at my throat. Other then that, leave me alone.

Cheers,
O-2

extremely interesting, and that's what I am talking about. What you're saying is what I mean by helping business, as the fact that your company's growth is constrained is a damage to the community at large (one less job available, less pro-capita income, etc.).

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'd love for the government to implement some kind of reasonable "shit or get off the pot" policy for domain names. MyBestDogGrooming.com is never going to fetch the $340,000 you hope to get for it. Every time I want to start something, 90% of relevant domains have been parked for over a decade.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
I'd love for the government to implement some kind of reasonable "shit or get off the pot" policy for domain names. MyBestDogGrooming.com is never going to fetch the $340,000 you hope to get for it. Every time I want to start something, 90% of relevant domains have been parked for over a decade.

Pretending to be your State's senator (which I am not!):
"That would entail more regulation, you're basically asking for a price cap or even worse for a time limit on private items, which is not entirely legal. That would cause a bad precedent as we would have to apply to other fields and services."

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Yeah, I know, it's just an ongoing frustration. I'd rather that domain sales were a faster turning businesses. It's frustrating to see a good one that's been parked since 1997 waiting for a 7 figure offer that you know it's never going to get (toiletplungers.com or something).

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

I absolutely agree with you @RHL . I felt like calling the government about this myself this past month. It's 'cybersquatting' in my opinion. I know guys like Kevin Ham and many others made a fortune swiping domain names and monetizing them. And while I'm glad they made their $300 million, it's time for people to stop holding domain names hostage and asking for outlandish ransom money.

Over the last 2 months I was trying to find a name (again), and I literally went through over 300 domain names, with no luck. What made me so mad is that the majority of them were not even in use! They either went to a blank page, a defunct website, or were parked. That's so unfair to the people who are really trying to put them to good use and start a business enterprise.

They were listed at prices I nor any new business owner could ever afford (not right now anyway). I'm not even talking about 'premium domains' like car.com and such. I'm talking about 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier names.

When I got up the nerve to inquire about one that had "make an offer", they came back with a price of $65,000!!!
I know people want to monetize and all that, but it's making it too hard for the newbies. I guess you can't cap the price, but I think they should cap how many you can hold and how long you can hold it.

And the trend is really towards entrepreneurship these days, so there's more and more new business owners popping up every day. I don't know what everyone is going to do about a website. I guess that's why they keep coming up with new extensions.

But how popular and highly ranked is my "www.newbusiness.club.me" going to be? ha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.