The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding The Vision..

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Long post, but you will understand my story after reading. I hope you enjoy and learn from this like I have.

Hey everyone, names Duane Medley. I'm 21, reside in Lakeland, FL. I'm from Charleston, SC, but I moved down to Lakeland to go to college four years ago. The first year I didn't go to college, I worked 3 jobs; pool cleaning, house cleaning, and fast food. Saved up $20,000 in that time period. I took some of that money and threw it in the stock market and the rest has gone into college. Two years into college, I start to see patterns in everyone's mindset and teachers implementing mindsets for us. I'm sure everyone's well aware of this mindset, "get a good job" or "work my a$$ off and climb up to the highest position possible" etc etc.

I honestly just felt different from everyone else in college. Like I don't fit in with the college group. Everyone just wants to do the bear minimum in life and then go spend the rest of their life consuming.

I wanted more than that, so I developed a strategy. I signed up as a chemical engineer major, which is what interested me the most and yielded the highest return for my effort. I was going to get out of college, and with my dad being an engineer, find a job that paid between 75k-90k/year. From there, I planned on buying a 2-4 unit house, living in one unit, and renting the rest of it out to lower my expenses. Give myself a decent budget to enjoy myself, but also save about 70% of what I made (I've lived on my own before, so I have a small understanding of the expenses that come with life). The goal after that was, before I got married or had kids, to build up a portfolio of 14 houses, it'd take me about 3 years to do so and I wouldn't have to do much financing beyond banks. At the 14 house mark, my houses easily afford me a decent house to live in and cover all of my bills. It goes a lot deeper than that, I've done hours of research and understanding the real estate market, but that's just to summarize the plan.

Seemed like a pretty good plan in my head, the money I made in my job went to building my portfolio and my houses paid for my lifestyle, but there was one huge side effect. I wouldn't have time for a life and I'd be miserable working the 9-5 mon-fri. I didn't realize that until the beginning of this year. I got an internship and actually worked at a plant I'd be on and man it was terrible. The takeaway: AFTER WORKING THIS INTERNSHIP I REALIZED I STILL DIDN'T HAVE THAT SENSE OF PURPOSE FEELING, JUST LIKE WHEN I WAS TALKING TO MY COLLEGE CLASSMATES ABOUT OUR FUTURE AND THEY WERE JUST GOING TO DO THE BARE MINIMUM.

Now I'm almost done with college, on the fence about the degree I have and not liking the plan I set out on 4 years ago. My stocks have only gone up like 10% since I got them. So I think I've made even on them after Inflation. Terrible reality strikes me and if I truly want to be happy, I've got to re-focus and re-correct. Find my vision, find my purpose, because I know I'm currently not on it.

Once I find that thing of value, money will come and I can use my real estate knowledge to maintain any wealth I've acquired. So that's why I've joined this forum and am going to start doing my research on things. I want to find that thing that gives me my sense of purpose, but I don't think I will find it by looking into myself, but rather by realizing the needs people come to me with and fulfilling them. Take action on things that pass by and slowly work my way back in the right direction. Lots of learning and struggles.

Thanks to all those that read this, I look forward to talking to all of you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
Hi Duane, great post.

I got the impression that the renting plan is a LONG TERM PLAN - Your need something to get exited about right now !

Renting is my long term plan as well, multifamily - listen to grant cardone ;)

Megans_Ambition

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 9, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
You started off with a great plan, but what it seems you are missing is that feeling of fulfillment in your life. All of us here want to make the big bucks and retire in the lap of luxury, and here's hoping we all make it! With very little time on your plate you don't have much to relax with, but I'd like to make a suggestion for when you do. For maybe a couple of hours on the weekend go and volunteer at a place you find interesting. Do you like animals? Volunteer to wash some dogs at a shelter or do some walking. Do you like kids? Be a big brother to someone in need. There are lots of opportunities ahead of us, both in the financial areas and in the fulfillment areas. It only takes a couple of hours a week to feel that sense of accomplishment. You are on a great financial path, Duane. You have your ducks in a row more than many people! I'd love to see you smile and enjoy every day. If you enjoy engineering, stick with it! You are almost done with school. Hang on to that degree, it may come in handy later even if you want to change paths right now.

You will find your dream and live life to your happiest. I believe in that and I believe in you!

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Hi Duane, great post.

I got the impression that the renting plan is a LONG TERM PLAN - Your need something to get exited about right now !

Renting is my long term plan as well, multifamily - listen to grant cardone ;)

Thanks for the advise, I'll check it out. Yeah renting is the long term plan, the dream is apartment complexes!

Noyd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 28, 2015
I had to recalculate my values as a high achiever, too. Never become such a high achiever that you don't get high on life[emoji106] I've learned the secret to living is giving, and the richest life has love & passion.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I had to recalculate my values as a high achiever, too. Never become such a high achiever that you don't get high on life[emoji106] I've learned the secret to living is giving, and the richest life has love & passion.
Yeah. The biggest part is finding that spot that makes you high on life, good to hear you're living it.

Noyd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 28, 2015
Actually, I'm not there right now, but I have been there in the past. I had little financially but truly enjoyed life. If I were you, I wouldn't go looking or asking for a happy place or thing or person before I'd seriously daydreamed about it in my head first. get an idea what you're looking for--if it's a sunset don't head east :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...