The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Simple ETF trading method worked for 15 years

Anything related to investing, including crypto

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I post this as an example of a simple system that worked pretty well, until it became widely known (not unlike Dogs of the Dow). When you are looking for an edge, a simple edge is as good as a complicated one, and better if it means you can understand it.

http://sanzprophet.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-end-of-eom-strategy-and-rebalancing.html

"Historically and up to 2013, equities have exhibited a positive bias during the end of the month.
Here is an example of buying the SPY etf on the first down-day after the 23rd and selling on the first up-day of the next month."

EOM_All.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Not really a forex trading system, is it????

Oops, I fixed the title. I had been studying FX systems all night, and drifted over to ETFs, so I still had FX on the brain.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Did you find any decent FX systems?

I didn't see any that I thought would withstand serious scrutiny. I did see that the that ETF methods described in the Connors & Alvarez book still looked good, which was surprising since it was published in 2008. I was looking for something for FX that was simple and elegant as their ETF methods.

For example, if the market is random, and you take a long position with the EURUSD, with a +100 pip take-profit and a -100 pip stop-loss, you should break even over time. If you introduce a filter, like saying it has to be above the 200SMA, the results should still be random. I was looking for systems that traded a basket of currencies that used filters optimzed for each pair. For example, the EUR/USD pair may have a different optimal +/- pip range and SMA length than say, the USD/JPY. I didn't really find anything. Connors & Alvarez use the same indicators settings for all 20 of their ETFs, that never made sense to me. I should probably try it on ETFs, since they work better.

I was also looking for an easy way to capture the nature of the bet as to whether the market will "keep doing what it has been doing, or change". For example, if you are a trend-trader, you bet the trend will continue. When price goes up, you keep buying. If you are a range-trader, you bet the price will reverse, so if it hits the top of the range, you bet it will go back down. A way to codify this would be to say, if the EUR/USD goes up +100 pips, I am going to bet it will go up another +100 pips, before it goes down -100 pips. So instead of being over the 200SMA, you are simply betting it will go up by 100 pips because it just went up 100 pips. You are betting on continuation. Or maybe you want to bet it will stay in the range, in which case if it went up +100 pips, you would bet it would go down -100 pips before it went up +100 pips. The question then becomes how do you decide of the market is going to continue doing what it has been doing, or changing what it is doing, and that has always been the question no one can answer very well.

The "continue or not" can be interpreted two ways. A trend-trader sees an ever-increasing price as "more of the same", while a trend-trader sees a price reversion as "more of the same", so it's tricky to talk about. The trend-trader sees "more of the same direction", while the range-trader sees "more of the same trading range".

FX is so erratic, I don't think I will find anything. However, if I can prove something doesn't work, that is knowing something, which is valuable. For example, I could write an ebook of why the 5 most common FX trading methods wont work, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.