The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meditation and the Fastlane

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I have some experience in the subjects you are discussing. I will give some of my thoughts. First, it is impossible to speak about these subjects without sounding "preachy", and being wrong. What I say here, is me lying to you, while trying not to be dishonest. First, mediation is a universal solvent of the mind. It works for everyone, though some people are better suited for different "paths". The goal of each "way" is for you to discover who you really are. The way to know this, is to un-learn the things that prevent you from seeing this truth. The truth is simply reality, but we can't see it because we obfuscate it with thoughts and expectations.

The only way to know the truth, is to be the truth. There are different kinds of meditation. In typical Zen meditation, you sit. Beginners focus on their breathing because that is an activity you can control consciously or unconsciously. When you are experienced, like in maybe 3-9 months, you will not need to count your breaths. When meditating, thoughts will spontaneously arise, let them float away. Do not indulge them, or resist them. Let them float. As you sit, the dream machine will slow down, and gaps of nothingness will be between them. This nothingness is the state of "samadhi". When you are in this state, there is no "you". Experienced mediators regularly enter this state. So do people on LSD, though they are usually not prepared to learn from it. Enough time spent in "samadhi" usually erodes away a persons hangups, leaving them effectively "enlightened".

There is a lot I could say about "Enlightenment", aka "The Big E". Brad Warner is a Soto Zen priest, in Soto they do not believe in "Enlightenment". They believe meditation ITSELF is enlightenment, and when you are meditating, you are as enlightened as anyone who ever was, including the Buddha. Rinzai Zen believes you have to have an "Enlightenment experience" (satori), usually proceeded by smaller experiences (kensho).

Meditation is not the only "way". Karate-do, is a "way". So is flower arranging. There are as many ways as there are people. It was said that the Buddha had 84,000 students, and taught 84,000 ways (or something like that). Spiritual enlightenment did not start with the Buddha, though he was to spirituality what Elvis was to rock. Taoists have an organic view of the world, and there was a "philosophical Taoism" movement which was a precursor to Buddhism. In the world of Buddhism, most Westerners are familiar with "Zen Buddhism", which emphasizes sitting ("zazen"). The Buddhist branches that went through Thailand, China, Japan, and Korea are all different. Each emphasizes someother way of taming the mind. For example, the Thai Buddhists have a lot of intricate ceremonial methods.

After studying Buddhism for a while, I got interested in Advaita, or "non-duality". Which is a lot less organized than Buddhism. There is a Western non-duality movement involving Barry Long (deceased), Sailor Bob, John Wheeler, and Eckhart Tolle. Most of them learned from the Indian Advaita masters. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj is my favorite, he cut right to the chase. The Indians have a lot more easy-going approach than the Japanese do. The American master Robert Rose was a hill-billy from West Virginia who was the real thing. Also, listen to anything by Alan Watts that you can. He took the approach of "fake it until yo make it", but after his 2 satori experiences, he started speaking for himself rather than regurgitating DT Suzuki. All these masters spoke from the same place of "no-mind", but what they said is usually incompatible and contradictory. There is no truth to be found in their words, but in their saying it. Barry Long was a self-enlightened sex-maniac, he had a method of meditation that contradicted the Zen method, and he would say (about Zen),"If it takes you 30 years to get enlightened, just maybe you are doing it the wrong way!" If he wasn't enlightened, he was at least entertaining. I think Eckhart Tolle spent some time with Barry Long, but Tolle was already spontaneously enlightened. He had same spontanteous-type experience as Buckminster Fuller, who was reborn as he was about to throw himself off a cliff because his baby daughter had died.

One last thing I will mentioned is, meditation will work, so do that if you don't know what else to do. You can think of it as giving your mind a bath. I suggest meditating for the same amount of time you spend in the shower. If you meditate before you sleep, you will probably have lucid dreams. If you meditate in the morning, the first few hours of your day will be more vibrant as your brain slowly revs back up.

Well, I could write a ton on this stuff, so I will just stop here. I can try to answer any questions with my opinions. I never even got to Quantum Physics :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I never even got to Quantum Physics :(

Well then lets start with Quantum Entanglement and the idea that once you touch something, you are forever "entangled" with them regardless of distance... 20 miles away or 20 light years. Fascinating. :nailbiting:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Well then lets start with Quantum Entanglement and the idea that once you touch something, you are forever "entangled" with them regardless of distance... 20 miles away or 20 light years. Fascinating. :nailbiting:

I know a lot less about QM than I do "spirituality", but basically, nonlocality proves that observation is participation. The question of whether Schrodinger's Cat is a live or dead, is not so different than whether a falling tree makes a sound in an empty forest. I think it was the split-light-beam test that proved there was an interaction between photons traveling away from eachother - implying that some communication was traveling at least 2x the speed of light. Many physicists think there is some kind of "quantum tunneling" going on, where photons are finding a shorter route to communicate (like tunneling through a mountain instead of going over it).

Instantaneous communication would be non-local. I think there are two candidates for instantaneous communication, gravity and consciousness. If gravity is *not* instantaneous, then there will be "ripples" of various sizes, which they have been looking for. Some of these ripples would aggregate in to waves, and some in to rogue gravitational tsunamis. If gravity *is* instantaneous, then it will be like an extra dimension shared by everything, where in that dimension everything has the same value. Like 3 points being connected by a 4th in to a pyramid, going from 2D triangle to a 3D pyramid. The Scandinavian religions had a similar concept of a "world-tree" connecting everything with it's branches.

Nobody understands QM, not even the people who invented it. And early on, there were at least 3 different-but-compatible systems of understanding it. I think they finalized on one at Copenhagen. It's definitely interesting to think about, and there are a lot of good books aimed at laymen (like me). I use to try to find out what the early quantum physicists thought about religion/spirituality, but I don't recall getting a consensus. The last I read about Quantum Entanglement (20 yrs ago), I think the "contamination" theory was leading, meaning the information sharing was happening (somehow) before the QE test was initiated.

My interest in QM was mostly an off-shoot of my interest in consciousness. I assume they are two sides of the same coin.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I know a lot less about QM than I do "spirituality"
I think it is all the same thing, but we all just have a mental filter on our brain with how we want to label it.

I 100% believe in this stuff since I started practicing it. I am getting/have everything I asked for in life.
  • The other year, I got promotion to the corporate office at my old job just like I envisioned 6 months prior.
  • In October 2013, I envisioned making enough money to quit my job and move to Colorado in April 2014. April was my second month of my passive income being more than my day job. I quit in June and moved to Colorado in July.
  • A few years ago I said one of my fastlane goals was to be back at college and party with college girls. That is 100% happening right now :)
  • Yesterday morning, I practiced envisioning what I want dating wise- envisioning a cute, brunette girl coming into my life. Someone who is interested in marketing/'big picture' thinking. When I went out last night to some now, I met a cute brunette girl who just graduated with an advertising/marketing degree...and then I met another cute brunette girl with big picture thinking like me...2 minutes after that.
So much abundance.

I don't know what exactly causes all this to happen...but it sure seems to be working for me. :)

Hawaii in the first half of 2015? Let's give it a try!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Meditation has been discussed here many times at the forum. It's also a big part of The Miracle Morning which I practice.

I thought this website could be useful.

http://www.calm.com

And believe it or not, this company is actually a tech company with a big silicon valley footprint.

Ha the guy behind this was behind the "million dollar homepage" some years ago.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Interesting occurrence. Three or four months ago, I was typing up an email for my email marketing sequence talking about my visualizations that I do for my desired future.

In the thing i wrote up, I talk about climbing up a hill, about to go to the top, overlooking the pacific ocean without a care in the world or a place to be. I originally typed this up last october when I was living in Boulder, CO. The picture on the left is a random picture I found on the internet to symbolize it (I found it 3 months ago).

The picture on the right is a GoPro video from two days ago in San Diego, CA - overlooking the pacific ocean, exactly how I described it and visualized it.

loa-pic.PNG

And about 5 other big ticket things that I visualized and mediated on wound up happening on this road trip (grand canyon, vegas, LA, San Diego). The most notable part....all of this happened after I pretty much forgot about it, and almost out of coincidence.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Haven't read all 6 pages yet, but new to meditation here.

I had problems getting out of my head.. anyone dealing with the same problem, I'd suggest Jon kabat. He does guided meditation, which I feel is good to use at first before you're able to do it naturally. Just I wouldn't get dependent on the audios to get out of your head.

Don't know if anyone suggested him, so throwing it out there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.