The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In defense of the slowlane

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I wanted this to be great progress thread, instead it's turned into frustration.

I had a great idea, went to execute it and many people said I should "sell before I had a product".

Now it's almost months later and I still have no product. The idea is still there but I've almost lost all motivation to execute it because no one could produce the product. It's my own fault, I didn't do my due diligence to who I hired. (BTW Fivver SUCKS)

So now I have a have a lucrative slow lane opportunity. This could easily translate into 150k+ job within a few years, but I will have to focus on it.

So now I'm left with a few really, really good ideas. Some experience of hiring the right people (hopefully) or taking the job.

To bad it's not as easy a decision as mopping floors vs. having a lucrative career.

I'm leaning toward the slow lane job but always having my dream in the background. What would a fastlaner do? Take the route of having an almost guarentee'd huge raise of income or staying were they're at and hoping something will stick?

I've been here for a few months now and have seen how many Entrepenuers don't make nearly as much as a lucrative slowlane job and work A LOT more than they would in said slowlane job.

So, I believe the best bet would be to focus on the slowlane job (which I actually LOVE A LOT) and use that to do what I really want -- which is my own business but it will delay it for years, and I run the risk of becoming to comfortable.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
I wanted this to be great progress thread, instead it's turned into frustration.

I had a great idea, went to execute it and many people said I should "sell before I had a product".

Now it's almost months later and I still have no product. The idea is still there but I've almost lost all motivation to execute it because no one could produce the product. It's my own fault, I didn't do my due diligence to who I hired. (BTW Fivver SUCKS)

So now I have a have a lucrative slow lane opportunity. This could easily translate into 150k+ job within a few years, but I will have to focus on it.

So now I'm left with a few really, really good ideas. Some experience of hiring the right people (hopefully) or taking the job.

To bad it's not as easy a decision as mopping floors vs. having a lucrative career.

I'm leaning toward the slow lane job but always having my dream in the background. What would a fastlaner do? Take the route of having an almost guarentee'd huge raise of income or staying were they're at and hoping something will stick?

I've been here for a few months now and have seen how many Entrepenuers don't make nearly as much as a lucrative slowlane job and work A LOT more than they would in said slowlane job.

So, I believe the best bet would be to focus on the slowlane job (which I actually LOVE A LOT) and use that to do what I really want -- which is my own business but it will delay it for years, and I run the risk of becoming to comfortable.

What do you think?

It really depends on what you're looking for out of life. I know, personally, that I will never be fulfilled without getting complete control of my time. I have not found any measure of success so far, but I will keep working and investing time until I find something that works. It's not particularly fun to work a job and spend all my free time trying to build a business, but I know it's the right choice for me personally.

As for you, I really can't say what you need to be happy. There are plenty of people out there who are totally capable of working at a good job and enjoying that lifestyle. You need to ask yourself if you fit into that category. It sounds like you've learned a lot from your last venture, and will have increased odds of success the next time around. If you only want to pursue this job because you're frustrated, do not let a 'failure' or the allure of an easier path stop you from achieving your dreams. One of the strongest mindsets visible on this forum is that each experience, whether successful or not, is a great learning experience. It is not always easy, but the best adventures rarely are. If instead you want to pursue this job because you feel like it would provide you a happier, more complete life, that's another argument entirely.

It's also not necessarily a case of one or the other, is it? Is there not some middle ground you can create? I've found that we typically have more options than we think, we limit ourselves to ultimatums that really don't exist. That is what an entrepreneur is at the very core. Someone who can come up with creative solutions to problems.

Just a few things to think about. I wish you the best of luck and much success no matter what you decide.

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
just a few thoughts. 1 can you get by on your income now?
2 have you done the pros and cons list?
3 do you have time to work the job and do the other
part time?

the best,steve

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What you don't see is all the people that are making it. Some of us stick around here but many do not. What motivation does a successful business person have to stick around here answering questions?

Just look at the M-plus dollar homes in your city. Who do you think are buying those? From my experience and people that I know, it is the successful business owners.

None of us on this forum are going to want to make a decision for you. That is up to you. There are many happy people working jobs for other people. Do what makes sense for you.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
it depends what you want out of work, out of life.

For me, the day-job just doesn't work for the simple reason that what I want does not co-exist with a slowlane day in day out lifestyle and consigns me to a lot of dissatisfaction. Regardless of the paycheque, when I get to the next level, I soon find it's not enough. Until I had the realisation that it's part and parcel of the bigger picture. A balance between playing it safe and going all out.

If you signed up here, chances are that you aspire to something bigger than working a nine to five at least that was the case for me. I've gone from a 40k job to a 70k job to a 130k job and very recently a 300k job. I'm not sure if I'd ever truly believed I'd be where I want to be when I'm 30 - but 3 years to go and I'd never imagined I'd be where I'm at as it is, so it's silly to say never. All of a sudden it's become less of a life, and more about a way to funding the start of the life I want. My ambitions are starting to come together, but I know I won't be happy staying here.. and that's the answer in my opinion, does that 150k job feel like your destination, or does it feel merely a stepping stone that you won't be able to stay put on because your journey hasn't ended..

I know I'm stopping at nothing to achieve my goal one way or another, although I'm not letting it cloud my vision so far as not being able to see that a steady well paying job will help me get there.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Entrepreneurial highs and lows are really wild, and failure is a constant companion. You gotta really love this shit to make it.

If one setback is enough to stop you then I got some bad news, because those happen every single day, and we just push through and never ever quit.

"Do you really want it? Desire is insufficient. Compulsion is mandatory."
Felix Dennis

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
It's not the setback that's "to much", I'm certainly not giving up just because of some frustration on Fiverr. Setbacks are expected and I have no problem with that. I've been through a lot worse in the past.

What I meant was, currently I have an almost guarentee'd way of greatly increasing my cash flow but it will consume much of my time via studying to increase my intrinsic value. So for me, this is the quickest way to increase my income short of a miracle business breakthrough. Most businesses take years to build into a good income stream.

This would simply be a stepping stone that will help supplement a business. I know that I will never be content with a slow lane job, no matter how much it pays. I've actually cut off all connections with the freelancers I was using and am speaking with someone else tomorrow. I will still have time to work on it, just not quite as much.

In other words, I could stay were I'm at and have more free time to work on my business, or take this opportunity and get a major raise but some of my free time at least for a while will go into the job.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
What you don't see is all the people that are making it. Some of us stick around here but many do not. What motivation does a successful business person have to stick around here answering questions?

Just look at the M-plus dollar homes in your city. Who do you think are buying those? From my experience and people that I know, it is the successful business owners.

None of us on this forum are going to want to make a decision for you. That is up to you. There are many happy people working jobs for other people. Do what makes sense for you.

You know it's funny, as I was sitting here reading through some posts on this forum, I just got an email that a line of credit just went up around 2k while I'm eating dinner studying for the very probably position in the very near future (interview is next Wed).

You are absolutely correct, there are many M-plus homes in the area I live in. There's also homes that are sub 100k and rooms for rent for 300/month.

The story I'd prefer to avoid is the one of the serial entrepreneur that lives in a room and goes from one idea to the next living off ramen noodles going in and out of different shit jobs only to end up with no idea that make his dream a reality and "retired" living off Social Security. It's one not mentioned much here, but I've seen it.

Don't get me wrong, I believe if your heads in the right place and you do everything you can there's likely a good chance you can make at least a decent living.

The reality is 90% of businesses fail. Most people give up. I will not, but if I can make a better income than most of the US doing something I love which will also enable me to have more resources toward my ultimate goals, I would be stupid to turn it down.

(btw the reason I mentioned the credit is b/c I will have access to whatever funds I want for business investments)

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
In theory what you asking for is someone to tell you which path to go down rather than deciding your self.

If you didn't take the job, could there be another of the same caliber in the future? I guess so. If you learn a skill people pay highly for could you get a higher paid job? Most probably. You can always indicate into the slow lane. Yea shit will be tough and you will be in constant argument with you self whether you made the right decision.

At The end of the day when you succeed as fastlaner would you regret not taking the job? You would think it was the best decision ever. But what if you saw someone make millions from the same idea? Would you not regret that more?

It's time to sit down and decide but your only currency, time, is ticking away and you can't earn that back.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

None of us on this forum are going to want to make a decision for you. That is up to you. There are many happy people working jobs for other people. Do what makes sense for you

Pretty much this. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, would you rather be stuck in a slow lane job, making $150k/year (we call those golden handcuffs) - or would you rather be making $80k/year sitting on a beach somewhere?

I ask, because I know people living that lifestyle (and some doing much better than $80k a year, even), and none of them had to reinvent the wheel to get there.

Me? I can no longer trade my time for money. Getting stuck at $150k year, working a job I don't love, to retire at 60 and die at 75 would be hell for me. I've been surfing almost every day, eating well, and going on dates all the while building a new business (which was profitable in its 3rd month).

Would I ever trade that for even a $250k/year job?

Nope.

My potential is much more. And so is yours.

But, the decision is yours.

If you want to go the slowlane route, no one will blame you here. We can't tell you what is best for the life YOU want to live.

The dread of having to go back to a boss, and a commute, and being stuck in one spot, and not being able to travel fuels the fire, even in my darkest of days.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Again, you do what is best for you. It is 100% your choice and there is no right or wrong answer.

The reality is 90% of businesses fail. Most people give up.

Yes, some people will never make it. Others, well, they just won't give up... :rockon:

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I think my post was misunderstood, which I blame the title.

This isn't a decision to permanently drop any business ventures and decide to go the slow lane route. "In defense of the slowlane" rather meant there can be good things about a lucrative slowlane job.

I did not mean should I drop the fastlane mindest and become a slowlaner for life? I already agree with everyone here. For me, that's not the end goal.

Rather this job will make significantly more money, but will consume significantly more time for a while -- so I won't have as much time for my business idea. Once I'm trained more in the position, it will go back down to a 40-50 hr. position. Not much more will be expected of me (so at least I'm told).

So I could sacrifice around 6 months to 1 year tops for a much better paying position (my free time being consumed) with a guarantee of a large income. Or could stay were I'm at making much less, with more free time.

So there's a trade off there and was just looking for input as What Would You Do -- not would you go to a slowlane job permanently. I haven't taken the position yet (if it's even offered, but I know the boss there, so there's a good chance).

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Pretty much this. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, would you rather be stuck in a slow lane job, making $150k/year (we call those golden handcuffs) - or would you rather be making $80k/year sitting on a beach somewhere?

I ask, because I know people living that lifestyle (and some doing much better than $80k a year, even), and none of them had to reinvent the wheel to get there.

Me? I can no longer trade my time for money. Getting stuck at $150k year, working a job I don't love, to retire at 60 and die at 75 would be hell for me. I've been surfing almost every day, eating well, and going on dates all the while building a new business (which was profitable in its 3rd month).

Would I ever trade that for even a $250k/year job?

Nope.

My potential is much more. And so is yours.

But, the decision is yours.

If you want to go the slowlane route, no one will blame you here. We can't tell you what is best for the life YOU want to live.

The dread of having to go back to a boss, and a commute, and being stuck in one spot, and not being able to travel fuels the fire, even in my darkest of days.
Loved this post! Freedom even before retirement. Rep+

If you're early on, but have a good plan, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Just turned down a decent job offer yesterday... Friends and family offered some free stay after seeing the business plan and all the work. Now I get 6-8 months to plant money trees.

Won't be as comfortable but they're giving me a shot.

That job would have just been to give a fastlaner rent money.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
The reality is 90% of businesses fail. Most people give up. I will not, but if I can make a better income than most of the US doing something I love which will also enable me to have more resources toward my ultimate goals, I would be stupid to turn it down.

)

90% of people go into business without having a realistic view of what they will have to do. This may explain the rate of failure.

Either way, it is your life, do what you think is best for you.

Don´t try to get approval from a forum with a total different point of view.

Johnsonysu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Most startups fail so it makes sense to seriously contemplate the probability of your business ultimately falling flat on its face. Consider this risk as a very likely event and then see if you have the financial capacity to bear it should it occur.

It seems to me that you're already extremely inclined to take the slowlane. There's no shame in that. Just don't fall into the slavery of an expensive mortgage and car lease that reduces you to living from pay check to pay check.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
This a tough decision bc the money is enticing but you haven't considered the freedom you'll have running your own biz or side gig. I am at a huge company right now and I can tell you it sucks the life out of me. If you have minimal debt and responsibilities, now is the time to chase your dreams! There are a bunch of different ways to generate some cash to build a great Fastlane biz without taking job.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
So I could sacrifice around 6 months to 1 year tops for a much better paying position (my free time being consumed) with a guarantee of a large income. Or could stay were I'm at making much less, with more free time.

Guarantee? Good luck with that.

Funny timing on this one. I was discussing Rich Dad Poor Dad with my kid the other day, which I asked her to read, and we were discussing the part where Rich Dad was offering more money to the kid to entice him into staying employed.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015

One of my biggest fears

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015

One of my biggest fears

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I NAILED the interview, they pretty much told me I had it -- funny enough I got another call for another job that pays even more.

What I meant about "in defense of the slowlane" -- is I actually LOVE doing this stuff. I love it. I do it in my free time.

I hated dealing with contractors on FIVERR -- relying on other's -- I absolutely hated it. They didn't do what they said they can do, and I'm stuck with paying for stuff that does me no good at all.

Hopefully that will bring clarity to "In defense of the slowlane".

Fastlane shit SUCKS sometimes.

I'm not saying that I'm giving up -- but rather there's a lot of things "in the fastlane" that are much crappier than any slowlane job.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Perhaps it is, but better than betting on the next best Quarterback for the Patriots.

And while I'm betting on the next QB for the Pats, I would have made more $$ in one day then you will all week, perhaps all month.

So please champ, don't tell me how to spend my time-- I earned every second of it until my death. Meanwhile, you've pissed away your time here trying to convince us that your time is best traded in a "well paying job" -- gee, how novel of a strategy. Sounds very "safe and secure". Good luck with that.

And BTW, I've only vilely commented on your thread because you have the nutsack to tell me (and others) how to spend their time. Now that's rich.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
And while I'm betting on the next QB for the Pats, I would have made more $$ in one day then you will all week, perhaps all month.

So please champ, don't tell me how to spend my time-- I earned every second of it until my death. Meanwhile, you've pissed away your time here trying to convince us that your time is best traded in a "well paying job" -- gee, how novel of a strategy. Sounds very "safe and secure". Good luck with that.

And BTW, I've only vilely commented on your thread because you have the nutsack to tell me (and others) how to spend their time. Now that's rich.

Touch'e. Don't give up on me just yet. I'm still here and quite frankly you are one of my inspirations.

It's difficult when you have a great career that pays a lot and you really love it.

You can of course spend your time however you want -- which is what I want.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to stay were they are -- I suppose it's more of the pitfalls. Sure I can do really well, and keep going were I am, but why would I even bother to stick around here?

I want freedom.

I can keep going and make 150k+ or I can go another route and risk it all. As what was brought up before it's called "golden cuffs".

I may end up taking this position, but I'm well aware of the handcuffs that are tied to me.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I didn't know companies now throw "guaranteed" 150k+ at anyone who completes 6 month training with few responsibilities on the job,

Get your CCIE and some networking experience. Times are changing right now for networks in BIG way (Amazon has already done this).

Basically many IT jobs will be reduced to shit unless your behind the infrastructure that allows them to be that way. Lookup "software defined networking". It enables companies to implement app's easily without a lot of people behind it.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
Most startups fail so it makes sense to seriously contemplate the probability of your business ultimately falling flat on its face. Consider this risk as a very likely event and then see if you have the financial capacity to bear it should it occur.

It seems to me that you're already extremely inclined to take the slowlane. There's no shame in that. Just don't fall into the slavery of an expensive mortgage and car lease that reduces you to living from pay check to pay check.

Personally I think going into business contemplating the PROBABILITY of failure is completely the wrong attitude to undertake.

By all means you should plan to have controls for the worse, but it's better to be more aware of WHY startups fail, not WHEN your startup will fail.. It's counter productive, and destructive to any plan big or small

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I NAILED the interview, they pretty much told me I had it -- funny enough I got another call for another job that pays even more.

What I meant about "in defense of the slowlane" -- is I actually LOVE doing this stuff. I love it. I do it in my free time.

I hated dealing with contractors on FIVERR -- relying on other's -- I absolutely hated it. They didn't do what they said they can do, and I'm stuck with paying for stuff that does me no good at all.

Hopefully that will bring clarity to "In defense of the slowlane".

Fastlane shit SUCKS sometimes.

I'm not saying that I'm giving up -- but rather there's a lot of things "in the fastlane" that are much crappier than any slowlane job.

When we ask for advice there are 2 types that we are seeking;

1. Advice we want to hear
2. Advice we need to hear

I'm guessing you are fishing for number one, in other words you already know what the right thing for you is, you just want it confirmed by someone.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not scared of being wrong and you shouldn't be either.

Buenos Suerte

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.