The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Fired You Up

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
While I was talking with one of my colleagues today we were dicussing what lit the fire in our bellies. Not just encouraged you to say "Meh, I don't like this, I should really do something about it", but the real fire. When it feels like a Volcano has erupted deep in your gut and you feel the fire burning and driving you forward, pushing you to do something, to get up off your a$$ and make waves.

I thought it would be interesting to hear from people as I'm such we all have different motivations and desires.

For me it was when my wife became pregnant with our second child, just a month ago. I was pretty fed up with what I was doing, I travel about 60 minutes to work each way and don't get to spend as much time with my family as I would like. I decided when she told me that enough was enough, my family deserves better than this, I want to be around as much as I can and spend time with my Son and baby number 2.

That was it, just a explosion in my head and from then I have been working 11 hours days and have learn't to build a website and learnt about marketing and Google AdWords (@Andy Black posts have been incredible) and I'm just about to start getting phase two going.

So, whats your story?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Great topic!

I was working very hard on my job. I happened to be coaching one of my subordinates on his job performance. He informed me that if I was going to take the fun out of the job, that he was going to quit. That stirred me in a significant fashion. I quit talking to him about his job performance and started asking him questions about how he could just quit. He told me about his apartments and how he was collecting enough money off of them to live on.

I put a plan together, started buying apartments, and quit my job. It took a couple of years but I worked tirelessly to make it happen.

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
It fires me up when people tell me to "calm down" or "slow down." Look, I talk fast. I am passionate, but it annoys me when others see it as a character flaw. If someone asks me nicely, "can you please repeat that because you said it a little fast for me," that is one thing. But it's super condescending and disrespectful to me when someone interrupts me and tells me to "slow down." That fires me up. I am fired up now just thinking about it. LOL.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
It fires me up when people tell me to "calm down" or "slow down." Look, I talk fast. I am passionate, but it annoys me when others see it as a character flaw. If someone asks me nicely, "can you please repeat that because you said it a little fast for me," that is one thing. But it's super condescending and disrespectful to me when someone interrupts me and tells me to "slow down." That fires me up. I am fired up now just thinking about it. LOL.
In communication, it is the senders responsibility to transmit in a manner that the message will be received and understood by the recipient.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Producing one of the best projects they had seen in the department. Then getting a 1% raise based on a review by someone I STILL have not met. Made the jump from safe to crazy.

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
In communication, it is the senders responsibility to transmit in a manner that the message will be received and understood by the recipient.

Let's say you are right (which I would contend that you are not as communication is a two way street), then there are ways to be respectful about communicating that the message is not being received. As I mentioned an example in my post, the way to NOT do it would be to interrupt and be condescending with your demeanor or tone when telling someone how to speak.

If you can't understand me, ask kindly for me to repeat or speak slower, but "calm down" or "slow down" are very negative to me and fire me up.

As a contrast, I don't tell half the world to "speed up" or "hurry up" because I am smarter or work at a speedier level than them. I adjust my method of listening (also an active form of communication) to understand them fully. Imagine the next time I speak with someone I am condecending about not understanding them because of their accent or their speech speed being to slow. I personally think that would be inappropriate.

Abdiel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 6, 2015
Puerto Rico
My very first "It actually works!" moment. I had high hopes from the start that maybe I could own my own business and that maybe it would work but it wasn't until I got my very first paycheck from "It's just a test" (we've all been through that one right?) that I really got fired up.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I went through a management class once that taught me to take control of a conversation or situation. The idea is to take yourself to the level of the person you are communicating with. Once you have achieved their level of intensity, you slowly modify it to the level you want to be on. This will usually take the other person along for the ride.

But, this was intended to bring excited people down a notch or two. Not to take people up a level.

I am a lot like you in that my traits tend toward the excited side.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Let's say you are right (which I would contend that you are not as communication is a two way street), then there are ways to be respectful about communicating that the message is not being received. As I mentioned an example in my post, the way to NOT do it would be to interrupt and be condescending with your demeanor or tone when telling someone how to speak.

If you can't understand me, ask kindly for me to repeat or speak slower, but "calm down" or "slow down" are very negative to me and fire me up.

As a contrast, I don't tell half the world to "speed up" or "hurry up" because I am smarter or work at a speedier level than them. I adjust my method of listening (also an active form of communication) to understand them fully. Imagine the next time I speak with someone I am condecending about not understanding them because of their accent or their speech speed being to slow. I personally think that would be inappropriate.
Start a communication thread and I will engage. Let's not derail this one.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
The need to provide for my wife and kids keeps me a motivated hustler. I was working freelance and only landed my first big monthly client after I went out and financed a car that I couldn't otherwise afford. That motivated me at the time to increase my means so that owning that car wouldn't be living outside of my means, and it worked. Each time my wife got pregnant that also motivated me to increase my means because I want my kids to always have their needs met.

This year I've been making considerably more than my usual means and I've fortunately not increased my spending. I'm finally making considerably more than I spend and now I'm reinvesting it into fastlane businesses to move faster on the track. At 32 years old I figure I'm still young enough to retire by 40 if I really get onto the fastlane soon. I'm *almost* there with current business but there are improvements to make, and I have MJ's book to thank for the new direction.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
The phrase "starving artist." I've had a chip on my shoulder since I was a kid because of that.

So I've been selling art since high school, and sold way more than any other artist I personally know. But even after opening my own (profitable) gallery in a high end mall, I just couldn't figure out why I couldn't grow it into something big.

And then I read the book. Now it's pedal to the F*cking metal!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When someone says "your book changed my life."

Anytime someone connects your feedback loop saying what you sell/offer is awesome, valuable, or appreciated, passion fires. This is why it's more about value than a specific product. As many of us say around here, be product agnostic.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The relief, excitement, and hope in an out of work electrician's voice when he rang to say "Andy, I had a call!"

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
When the Community Activist In Chief starts to espouse his theories, plans, and ideas on fixing tax policy, running a business and what's generally good for me and you. Don't you at least have to of had a job in some sort of "hey we have make a profit to stay open kind of way." Oh that's right he has a Blue Ribbon panel of experts from Harvard and Wharton, yeah.....where bow ties are still cool and canoe rowing is a sport -WTF.

Ok...hang on, before you think I am "leaning right" let me tell what gets me fired up about the other guys.

Free enterprise...free enterprise...capitalism...gimme a "C" gimme, gimme an "A" gimme a.....".

What does that spell...yeah!!!!!! Fxxx Off! Free Enterprise for who??? Are you kidding me. Oh ok, let me try some free enterprising......

Yeah, I'm gonna go to the new 7 billion dollar airport terminal, generously paid for by my tax dollars, and book a plane ticket to somewhere no one wants to go, at a time no one wants to fly and It will only cost me oh...$3,000 oh wait $3,500 if you want bring your own suitcase, who needs luggage on a fxxxing trip?

Last time they "got me" with one of these last minute deals, last minute being a week and 4 days. I complained to the helpful quasi-manager, in a respectful way because I know he doesn't own the place, that my tax dollars went to building this super-duper expansion plan, yet 90% of the capacity is still taken up by the usual 5 carriers and there is no real net benefit for the traveler. He quickly changed the subject and proudly explained to me that no tax dollars went into building the improvements and the construction was bought and paid for through bonds, and and have you seen the new Applebee's in concourse B.

Oh boy...again he just worked there, so I skipped the lesson on what a bond is and where they come from....didn't want to be the grinch who shattered his little world of mythical bond ferries that run around financing CAPEX for the good of mankind. I just shrugged and said good bye and told him I love the new look.

All that free market capitalism, well I have to go because I need to buy gas, and on my way home I saw the gas station dude with his big magnetic pole getting ready to change the numbers, and ironically they all change the numbers at the same time and miraculously all end up within pennies of each other. Don't you just love free enterprise.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013

Anytime someone connects your feedback loop saying what you sell/offer is awesome, valuable, or appreciated, passion fires. This is why it's more about value than a specific product. As many of us say around here, be product agnostic.
You hit the nail on the head for me. I get at least one email a day (in reply to my automated emails) that let me know they appreciated me following up with the sale, that they loved my product, how it helped them, and how much they liked it. I get an awesome sense every time I get one of these.

When I first started I was nervous to open these emails as I thought that they would be issues or problems. That was just me projecting my beliefs on the end user and now I enjoy seeing the new message icon pop up.

As for the why. 2 F's - Family and Freedom. I want to watch my kids grow up instead of having to work full time just to support us.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to watch my kids grow up
^^ This.

I also don't want my kids to grow up with the mindset the world wants to thrust upon them. Which means getting my shit together before then.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I did not want the stigma associated with " single mom "
I did not want to feel as if my son and i were a liability in anybody's life.
I want my son to have a strong role model for women in general which will shape his relationships in the future.

Not sure if these are " healthy " reasons ( especially the 2 firsts) but they sure helped give me energy and fire the first years.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
What fires me up? The promise that one day I can be as successful as Justin Bieber so that I too can smile in my mugshot.

In all seriousness though, the most satisfying thing is when someone shows genuine appreciation for something that I built. It's a really neat feeling that I can't quite put into words.
article-2545015-1AE87E5400000578-883_634x776.jpg

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
What fires me up? The promise that one day I can be as successful as Justin Bieber so that I too can smile in my mugshot.
I'm going for more of a Gary Busey look.
c843fa2c-0761-4e03-ac7e-5c577d7160b2.jpg
In all seriousness though, the most satisfying thing is when someone shows genuine appreciation for something that I built. It's a really neat feeling that I can't quite put into words.

But seriously THIS^^

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'd say 7 months ago when I lost my source of income (not my job, cant work in the field due to restrictions) but then I would be lying to myself. I've stepped my game up ever since I found out that my fiance is pregnant and when I recently found out that I did not qualify to work at this new position I was falling back on (Damn company took FOREVER to inform me of all this information, on the other hand it is solely my fault for not being prepared). I am currently attempting to re-achieve financial stability, then get back in the grind. I need somebody to slap me in the face and wake my lazy a$$ up. Any takers??

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
What fired me up was being fired from my last J.O.B.

That was the best thing that could've ever happend to me financially.

I said to myself, "Never again!" and bought a handful of books.
(The "get rich quick" and "become wealthy fastly" kind;))

A couple of chapters into TMF it made CLICK in my head,
I realized that I can make my childhood dreams become real.

Since then I'm on my way, step by step.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Mass, why don't you read about Neil Patel. He lit the interest in me for Analytics, which will help you in your new venture. Well, I quit job to start my horse riding and 10m rifle shooting academy.

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013

I'm one of those that said that and it's because I've had my eyes opened that I seek another path, the fastlane. Before Fastlane I was blind, thinking like the masses. I believed if I went to college and had a wall full of degrees, worked very hard on my job and climbed the ladder, work 60 hours a week then someday I'd arrive at success. How wrong I was. It wasn't until my first son was born that I felt something in me wake up. I wanted to be home with him more and spend more time living life instead of making other people rich. The moment came to me when one day as I was preparing to go to my corporate job my infant son cried for me and told me "no work, no work" and tears streaming down his face. You want motivation, that's motivation. I'm not free yet but hard at it, I won't stop until it happens.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Mass, why don't you read about Neil Patel. He lit the interest in me for Analytics, which will help you in your new venture. Well, I quit job to start my horse riding and 10m rifle shooting academy.

Hi Kevin,

Ill have a look for Neil Patel thanks. Any particular article I should look out for?

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
The thought that someone will have an unfulfilled day/life if I don't put in the work.

What if a simple action from me means food on the table for him/her?
What if it will help them meet their future partner? Win that long awaited contract? Become happy? Help pay bills?
What if? what if? what if?...

This creates a ripple effect in my brain that sparks like an asteroid.

example:

If MJ had not written TMF I might still be out there. Maybe lost.

With the possibility of my dreams lost amongst other things. (Thanks again MJ)

It's freaking terrifying so I, too have to provide something valuable for others.

I know it doesn't just end there. The ripple goes on and on

This gets me going...

Megans_Ambition

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 9, 2015
San Antonio, Texas
I know that I can make a difference to people who are just like me. I don't believe in the current business world and I certainly don't believe in what media has taught me. I've been exposed to thousands of television programs, radio shows, musical pieces that have told us how much "work sucks and then you die". I want to feel fulfillment and accomplishment at the end of my day. I want to feel rewarded with every day life. There are others like me and I know it. My goal? Start a business where everyone feels accomplished, like they've done something. I've thought poorly of myself in the past, but no longer. My fire, my passion, comes from wanting to help others like me. We all deserve to feel like we're worth something, that our talents are special. We ARE worth something, and we ARE special. We can all make a difference!

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Realizing and accepting that my innermost "why" is about having the freedom and power to do what I want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.