The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First post F*ckup, but living in Hungary is still cheap

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Dear Forum Members!

I'm new here so I figured I'll start with adding some value (well, probably for someone this will be actually useful).

I read everywhere that property is F*cking expensive in the UK and the USA, so I advice you to look for cheaper places. For example, where I live, which is Budapest, which is a nice international city in the middle of Europe, Hungary.

Living costs in Hungary are much cheaper than it is in Western countries and housing is way cheaper. So I think if you're open to travel and new experiences you should check it out. If you have a more or less automated business which makes like 10k a month you can live like a king in Budapest. For comparison feel free to use this site (not an ad, its not mine, but it can be useful)

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Hungary&city=Budapest

So for housing, if you're interested I help you with this little cityguide.

1 million HUF is approximately 3.7k USD, of course it differs on where you change it.
http://realestatehungary.hu/ helps you with the browsing, the price range is in millionHUF as you can see.

Budapest, Hungary's main city and a fun place to live in, is divided to 23 districts. There are nicers ones and less safe ones.

Use this for info: http://www.budapestbylocals.com/image-files/budapest_crime_map.jpg
Blue being the number of registered crimes per 100 000 inhabitants in 2009
Red is number of registered criminals per 100 000 inhabitants in 2009.
It's basically the same in 2015 as well, regarding the districts comparable safety.

Also if you're browsing houses you'll notice that some areas (like XXIII, XVIII, XVII) are more rural than others. District I, II, III, V, XIII, XIV being the better neighborhoods. The main "tourist districts" are I and V.

If you can't find good property in Budapest you might also want to consider our "county capitals" which are Hungary's county's biggest cities. I personally recommend Pécs (European Capital of Culture 2010) and Szeged, but others might work for you too. Cost of living is even cheaper outside of Budapest.

Just do some research or PM me and I'll help you!

EDIT: Originally I listed these:
http://realestatehungary.hu/ii-ker/elado haz/csaladi-haz/budapest 2 district szent istvan utca/20989637?sid=1

http://ingatlan.com/ii-ker/elado haz/csaladi-haz/budapest 2 kerulet/21014557?sid=1

but as someone pointed out I f*cked up the currency exchange and they actually go for 444k, which is still a high price. I'll try to find for 45k in neighborhoods that's nice. Sorry for the inconvinience, I was in a hurry, had little sleep and such.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Not bad, but there are -way- cheaper countries to live in.
Such as the philipines or indonesia.(Ok, watch out in indonesia if you're a christian.)

I got a mate living in the philipines, barely any costs. barely any taxes. and you can rent a housemaid (or gardener etc)for your house for less than $50 a month.

D

DeletedUser394

@David Fiddler , do the Slovaks and Hungarians still hate each other?

I'll be in Vienna/Bratislava this summer, wondering if I'm going to have any problems crossing the bridge if I decide to visit.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Such as the philipines or indonesia.(Ok, watch out in indonesia if you're a christian.)

I got a mate living in the philipines, barely any costs. barely any taxes. and you can rent a housemaid (or gardener etc)for your house for less than $50 a month.
Yeah but Budapest is actually Western-country-like and a pretty decent place to live in (in nice neighborhoods, stay the F*ck away from 8th and nearby)

@David Fiddler , do the Slovaks and Hungarians still hate each other?

I'll be in Vienna/Bratislava this summer, wondering if I'm going to have any problems crossing the bridge if I decide to visit.

Some of them do, I'd advise you to stay away from people you wouldn't normally talk to in other countries. I personally couldn't care less about someone's nationality and I guess for most folk it's not an issue either. Border passage wouldn't be a problem. lol

James Turchetto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for posting this David, a relative of mine is from Hungary and I wouldn't ever think of living somewhere like that usually. But given the crippling UK house prices, those are great value property prices, especially as you've said if you make your living online. It's definitely something I'll have to look into in the near future if possible. Am I going to pay North of £200,000 to live in a cardboard box or a fifth to a seventh of that to live in a much more accommodating property. Of course so many of us are apprehensive about moving to such countries but frankly if I'm getting value like that who am I to say no.

I take it there isn't too much crime in the area's you listed ? or are you a more likely target.

Update : That'll teach me for taking the OP at face value currency exchange rates with the UK/EU house prices are very good for the size of the properties but they're not 45K at least the one's he has shown. You're talking about over £200K there so still a massive financial investment for anyone interested. I guess you could find property for those prices but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too safe :) ah well

Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City

Don't forget about Thailand. $20 and you're a king for a day.

J. van Driessen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 14, 2014
Thanks for the advise. As I currently live in Belgium, I might consider living there for a while. In half a year from now or so, I'd like to go to a hot place for a few months (was thinking of Thailand or so) to work on a startup, but maybe I'll go to Hungary.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Indonesia is a secular country. Aceh could be uncomfortable, but you're not likely to run into any problems anywhere.
In some area's of indonesia it's more dangerous to be a christian than in countries like China
(if they know you're a christian when you come into the country, there is a high chance to be shot. It is up to the officer in charge to decide. If you bring a Bible in the country it is almost certain to be a Bye-bye. The only form of "Christianity" that is allowed are the government churches...which are everything except for christian. An exception to this rule is Hong Kong.)
In the last few years people actually get rewarded sums of money for killing Christians in Indonesia by muslim extremists.(They actually have ties to the government, leading to the release of several murderers and terrorists in the last few years.)

Next to the actual physical violence christians are not welcome in many shops, supermarkets and so forth. Effectively eliminating christian present in some area's. (If you can't buy your food...what do you do.) And if they're accepted they can expect to pay 2-3 times the original prize. this counts for anything from rent of a house to well...anything else. Official number of christian-restricting rights in indonesia since 2010 are 150 different laws.

In fact, the only country where there are more reported murders on christians worldwide is Nigeria.

So nope, in reality it is not a secular country. it is one of the most dangerous countries in the world to live in as a christian.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Update : That'll teach me for taking the OP at face value currency exchange rates with the UK/EU house prices are very good for the size of the properties but they're not 45K at least the one's he has shown. You're talking about over £200K there so still a massive financial investment for anyone interested. I guess you could find property for those prices but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too safe :) ah well

Holy shit I'm so sorry. This is where enthusiasm, being hurry and too little sleep takes you. Missed a null when I exchanged the currency.
I'll fix this in the original post and try to find some decent homes for a nice price range.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Prices are not always hugely expensive in the UK (and I'm not talking about living in a deprived slum area). A friend of mine in the last year bought a nice 2 bed house for £45,000 and an immaculate 1 bed flat in a converted chapel for £50,000. One was in a village and the other a small sleepy town. Both in Gloucestershire which is one of the more expensive counties to live in.

There are cheap properties available if you look hard, bargain hard and pay hard cash as there is always someone down on their luck needing a quick sale. He has since sold the 2 bedroom house for a nice profit and the flat is rented out.

D

DeletedUser394

In some area's of indonesia it's more dangerous to be a christian than in countries like China
(if they know you're a christian when you come into the country, there is a high chance to be shot. It is up to the officer in charge to decide. If you bring a Bible in the country it is almost certain to be a Bye-bye. The only form of "Christianity" that is allowed are the government churches...which are everything except for christian. An exception to this rule is Hong Kong.)
In the last few years people actually get rewarded sums of money for killing Christians in Indonesia by muslim extremists.(They actually have ties to the government, leading to the release of several murderers and terrorists in the last few years.)

Next to the actual physical violence christians are not welcome in many shops, supermarkets and so forth. Effectively eliminating christian present in some area's. (If you can't buy your food...what do you do.) And if they're accepted they can expect to pay 2-3 times the original prize. this counts for anything from rent of a house to well...anything else. Official number of christian-restricting rights in indonesia since 2010 are 150 different laws.

In fact, the only country where there are more reported murders on christians worldwide is Nigeria.

So nope, in reality it is not a secular country. it is one of the most dangerous countries in the world to live in as a christian.

Debating whether I should waste my time responding to you, but here goes.

Your portrayal of a country of a quarter billion people is outlandish. Are there certain islands I would avoid? Of course, yet keep in mind there are hundreds of islands that comprise Indonesia.

Indonesia is a massive and populous country. The odds of anything bad happening to you are extremely small.

People should not let irrational fear dictate their lives.

I'm no Christian, but I'm a very clearly a white guy from North America, and I never had any problems. Most people are super friendly and willing to help you out with language barriers, etc without caring about your particular religion or no religion, or whatever other differences you may have.

People like you also told me Iran was 'too dangerous' and that they hate Westerners and that I was going to die. All I can say is what a beautiful and friendly place. People would invite me and my friends into their homes for meals every day. Complete strangers. I didn't die.

I could go on and on.

There's a wide and amazing world out there, don't give in to the propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeletedUser394

Holy shit I'm so sorry. This is where enthusiasm, being hurry and too little sleep takes you. Missed a null when I exchanged the currency.
I'll fix this in the original post and try to find some decent homes for a nice price range.

So that house was actually four hundred thousand dollars? That's pretty funny dude.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
So that house was actually four hundred thousand dollars? That's pretty funny dude.
Around 450K usd. That was. Anyway now I updated the OP, no such nice houses for that price range in Budapest but made quite a guide. Hope it still helps someone. Kinda ashamed but I guess first threads are just first threads. Except if you're Mj, he probably nailed his first thread too, lol.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Debating whether I should waste my time responding to you, but here goes.

Your portrayal of a country of a quarter billion people is outlandish. Are there certain islands I would avoid? Of course, yet keep in mind there are hundreds of islands that comprise Indonesia.

Indonesia is a massive and populous country. The odds of anything bad happening to you are extremely small.

The "odds" are everywhere small, even in Syria or Iraq.. still being said: the country has laws that make living near impossible.
Being a tourist is different as you bring them money.

People should not let irrational fear dictate their lives.

I'm no Christian, but I'm a very clearly a white guy from North America, and I never had any problems. Most people are super friendly and willing to help you out with language barriers, etc without caring about your particular religion or no religion, or whatever other differences you may have.
1) You have been to indonesia?
2) It is not irrational fears if you look at the statistics.
3) I have been there, and saw my portion of violence.

People like you also told me Iran was 'too dangerous' and that they hate Westerners and that I was going to die. All I can say is what a beautiful and friendly place. People would invite me and my friends into their homes for meals every day. Complete strangers. I didn't die.

I could go on and on.

There's a wide and amazing world out there, don't give in to the propaganda.
"People like you" just makes you sound narrow-minded and judgemental, so for now I will just consider that as a typo, and take you seriously.

I have been in a big majority of the countries in the world (Actually from the countries that border sea I have been in every single country except for the countries in south-america and south-afrika), lived in many of them for at least 3 months in a row.
For many of them I have been in several places for a fair amount of time. I have seen violence everywhere around. (Got caught in the riots of Greece and the Riots of Egypt to name a few situations, also near somalia and yemen I've been in the close vicinity of pirate attacks (For example in the Gulf of Adan the ship behind us got captured by pirates. We where luckily prepared and protected by 4 different Navy ships, FBI and marines.)

From all the places where I've been(I've been in just over 67% of the countries of the world) indonesia is so far the most dangerous and worst of them for christians to be, that counts for most of their islands and especially on the big islands with most population.

D

DeletedUser394

One of my resolutions was to not waste my time having pointless arguments on the internet with strangers. So this discussion is effectively over (and you're now on the ignore list, so don't bother replying).

To anyone that has read all of this thread, don't be afraid to travel and explore the world. It's seriously the greatest gift in life to be able to share cultures with people of all different backgrounds.

As long as you keep your wits about you you'll most likely be fine no matter where you visit, including indonesia. They receive 9 million visitors a year, 99.9999999999% of whom have a great time.

Don't live your life in fear.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Yup, you are ignorant and narrow minded, Ahh well. thanks for the ignore,
Don't want to communicate with narrow minded/ignorant people anyways.

For the rest: I do agree that travelling is awesome, and communicating with people from different cultures is too.
I travel the world and communicate/work with 75+ nationalities on a daily basis from different social statuses, financial statuses and backgrounds.

But that doesn't mean that some places aren't more dangerous than others, and that you shouldn't be aware of the dangers of certain places/cultures before you go there, especially if there is a hatred/prize on the heads of people from your specific culture.

Simple truth is is that there is a lot of violence going on, and violence against Christians has rapidly grown worldwide, especially in certain countries, such as Indonesia, Nigeria and so forth. So by going to "high risk" areas you're putting yourself in unnecessary danger- otherwise known as foolishness.

there are hundreds of other awesome places to visit. And you can always go to the high risk places once they are not that high risk anymore. I'm lucky to get updated exactly how the risks are before going to a place. Sometimes it means getting extra security on our ship (FBI or Marines onboard/Navy vessels waiting just outside the international water line) and sometimes it means skipping a place all together (Such as that we skipped Ukrain earlier on.) But if you don't get this high level intelligence/risk assesments...be double careful :)

Last edited:

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
Hungary, no freaking way! EU is killing those countries, Hungary, Bulgaria...

Guys, I lived in 7 countries, Asia, South America, North America, Europe...

USA is where you get the best quality of life. Roads are big, cars are big, houses are big (Europe freaking sux, everything is small, too many people, not enough space). You earn 10$/hour in US? No problem, you can even afford cruises ($300 for 7 days sometimes), just don't live in freaking NYC. Other county I would consider is Switzerland, but besides that, no other options. Btw in USA you CAN actually buy a house for 70-80k.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Have you guys ever considered moving to a rural, i.e. non-urban location, and doing your e-business from there?
I was looking at Spokane, Washington before. There's a lot of good homes for sale up there for low prices. There's many homes on multi-acre properties. I think the job market is probably bad up there but it doesn't matter for entrepreneurs, especially online.

Hungary has beautiful girls.

What do you mean the EU is killing Hungary?

If I actually succeed in getting rich I ideally want a beach front home in Malibu or somewhere else.

For the cheapest living I'd consider Philippines or Thailand. I like Thai food.

hestati

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jan 14, 2014
San Diego, Cali
I can't live in rural area, I need supermarkets, shops, etc. But for some people it is ideal. I dunno what's the point of trying to launch e-business from SF, where everything is overpriced...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
fwiw my roommate who is from hungary says no way on nice house for 45k..says more like 90

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Have you guys ever considered moving to a rural, i.e. non-urban location, and doing your e-business from there?
In 2012 when I came back from Japan I could have bought a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house across the streets from my parents for $7500. No typo, seventy five hundred. Granted it looked like a $7500 house and was in a town with a population of around 550.

I didn't think of the potential that could have made me, even renting out for $500 a month. I was younger, dumber, and bought a car instead (21 years old, never had a car before). Vroom vroom.

D

DeletedUser394

Yup, you are ignorant and narrow minded, Ahh well. thanks for the ignore,
Don't want to communicate with narrow minded/ignorant people anyways.

For the rest: I do agree that travelling is awesome, and communicating with people from different cultures is too.
I travel the world and communicate/work with 75+ nationalities on a daily basis from different social statuses, financial statuses and backgrounds.

But that doesn't mean that some places aren't more dangerous than others, and that you shouldn't be aware of the dangers of certain places/cultures before you go there, especially if there is a hatred/prize on the heads of people from your specific culture.

Simple truth is is that there is a lot of violence going on, and violence against Christians has rapidly grown worldwide, especially in certain countries, such as Indonesia, Nigeria and so forth. So by going to "high risk" areas you're putting yourself in unnecessary danger- otherwise known as foolishness.

there are hundreds of other awesome places to visit. And you can always go to the high risk places once they are not that high risk anymore. I'm lucky to get updated exactly how the risks are before going to a place. Sometimes it means getting extra security on our ship (FBI or Marines onboard/Navy vessels waiting just outside the international water line) and sometimes it means skipping a place all together (Such as that we skipped Ukrain earlier on.) But if you don't get this high level intelligence/risk assesments...be double careful :)

I'm absolutely not ignorant and narrow minded. I'm calling you out for unfairly categorizing 250 million people. The whole point of my original response to you was that you need to open your eyes to the reality of the situation.

In any case, I like to deal with something called facts.

You may find this list rather interesting. It was released by a respected Christian organization whose sole mandate is to address the persecution of Christians worldwide. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that they know more than you or I about this subject.

They state that Indonesia is one of the safest muslim majority/minority countries for Christians. In fact, there are 46 countries that are deemed to be more dangerous. (Nigeria isn't the only country ahead of them, as you claim)

Again, I realize facts might sometimes be inconvenient as they don't align with your personal biases. That's why I love them, because facts cut through the BS.

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list/

There are so many countries on that list that most people wouldn't think twice of visiting, and Indonesia is safer for Christians than a lot of the other countries.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
In any case, I like to deal with something called facts.
I guess that there are many different facts out there. As I based this on 5 different sites,
Can't find them all back at the moment as I looked pretty deep into it.
Here are a few sites that are on the first pages of google on the dangers of christians in indonesia:

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/asia/story.php?id=57326
http://www.westernfreepress.com/2014/02/24/how-bad-is-muslim-persecution-of-christians-in-indonesia/
http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists...ia-in-danger-of-becoming-another-pakistan.php
http://gracebiblechapel.org/indonesia-dangerous-countries-christians/

Statistics of actual muslim attacks after 9/11:
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/christianattacks.htm
The only countries that has had more attacks on christians than indonesia where the ones where there was a war going on where christians where at 1 side of the fight.

A text from wikipedia:
In 2010, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals found, for purposes of U.S. immigration law: "[T]he record compels a finding that Christians in Indonesia are a disfavored group."[44][45] The definition of this term is "a group of individuals in a certain country or part of a country, all of whom share a common, protected characteristic, many of whom are mistreated, and a substantial number of whom are persecuted" but who are "not threatened by a pattern or practice of systematic persecution." The court blamed the rise of anti-Christian sentiment on Suharto consorting with militant Islamic groups in the 1990s in order to maintain his power, noting that he had 'purged his cabinet and army of Christians and replaced them with fundamentalist Muslims', adding that support and protection for violent Islamic militia such as Laskar Jihad by the military and political elite had continued since Suharto's exit from power. According to the ruling: "Christian churches throughout Indonesia have been burned, bombed, and vandalized by Muslim extremists. These attacks are often accompanied by threats, such as: 'God has no son. Jesus could not help you. Until doomsday, Muslims will not make peace with Christians. Death to all Christians.'"

On 8 February 2011, trial spectators attacked the defendant, prosecutors and judges[46] and Muslim rioters severely vandalized Protestant and Catholic churches, schools, and other property in Temanggung, Central Java in protest that prosecutors only demanded that the court sentence Antonius Bawengan to five years in prison (the maximum sentence permitted by law) for his alleged blasphemy against Islam via distributed leaflets.[47] A local Muslim cleric allegedly demanded that Antonius receive a death penalty. The judge immediately sentenced Antonius to five years in prison.[48] Local Muslim residents reportedly protected a Catholic priest and tried to minimize damage. The local Muslim cleric later received a one year sentence for inciting the Temanggung riot.[49] The Temanggung riot occurred two days after 1,500 Sunni Muslims attacked Ahmadiyya Muslims in Cikeusik, Banten, murdering three.

On the other hand and also in February 2011, a local FPI leader and followers each received at most a 5.5 months sentence and were released based on time served after members of the group struck an HKBP pastor in the head with a wooden plank and stabbed an HKBP elder in the abdomen. The planned, drive-by attack occurred in Bekasi, West Java while the victims were walking to church service and related to local Muslims' objection to church construction. While local human rights activists expressed disappointment in the minimal sentences, no riots occurred.[50] Earlier, in 2010, hundreds of FPI members had attacked congregants during an HKBP church service in Bekasi, beating many women. Police were on site, but provided little protection.[51]

On early Ramadan in August 2011, group of Muslims attacked and burned three churches on Kuantan, Sengingi, Riau Province. Police not giving any clue for reason of burning, Police says its for sake of keeping ramadan peacefully for Muslim.[52]

Non-Muslims experience ongoing discrimination, including obstacles to university entrance and civil service jobs. A survey conducted in 2002 in Jakarta noted that 80% of respondents wanted faiths other than Islam outlawed, 73% wanted non-Muslims excluded from teaching in government schools, and 42% did not want churches constructed in their area.[53] Of particular concern to non-Muslim religious organizations, a 2006 joint ministerial decree on house of worship (signed by the Religious Affairs Ministry and Home Ministry) requires a religious group to obtain the approval of at least 60 households in the immediate vicinity before building a house of worship. This decree has been used frequently to prevent construction of non-Muslim places of worship and has been cited by radical Muslim organizations for various attacks on non-Muslims.[54]

Other texts from wikipedia:
The constitution provides for freedom of religion, accords "all persons the right to worship according to their own religion or belief," and states that "the nation is based upon belief in one supreme God." The first tenet of the country's national ideology, Pancasila, similarly declares belief in one God. The government does not allow for not believing in God. Government employees must swear allegiance to the nation and to the Pancasila ideology. Other laws and policies placed restrictions on certain types of religious activity, particularly among unrecognized religious groups and "deviant" sects of recognized religious groups. The central government did not invoke its constitutional authority to review or revoke local laws that violated freedom of religion.

Aceh remained the only province authorized by the central government to implement Islamic law (Shari'a), and non-Muslims in the province remained exempt from Shari'a. Some local governments outside of Aceh also have laws with elements of Shari'a that abrogate certain rights of women and religious minorities. Aceh adopted a Shari'a based penal code imposing physical punishment for violations.

The Ministry of Religious Affairs extends official status to six religious groups: Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism. Unrecognized groups may register with the Ministry of Culture and Tourism as social organizations. Although these groups have the right to establish a house of worship, obtain identity cards, and register marriages and births, they sometimes face administrative difficulties in doing so. In some cases these challenges make it more difficult for individuals to find jobs or enroll children in school. Legally, identity card applications are now acceptable when the "religion" section is left blank; however, members of some groups reported that they sometimes faced obstacles.[1]

Human Rights Aspects[edit]
International human rights organizations cite persistent attacks and intimidation against religious minorities and atheists. Amnesty International reports that the Ahmadiyya community is increasingly targeted and at least four provinces issued new regional regulations restricting Ahmadiyya activities. By the end of 2011, at least 18 Christian churches had been attacked or forced to shut down.[7]

Violations of freedom or religion: (Not only against christianity)
http://dynamic.csw.org.uk/article.asp?t=news&id=2020

http://dynamic.csw.org.uk/article.asp?t=response_article&id=321

The European union concerned about violence to religious minorities, mainly christians and 1 stream of islam:
http://dynamic.csw.org.uk/article.asp?t=response_article&id=355

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3768/indonesia-extremism

Some events that happened in the last few years:

In Indonesia the extremist group Laskar Jihad has killed as many as 10,000 Christians. In addition, it has forcibly converted thousands more to Islam, and has destroyed hundreds of Christian churches.

A mob of 600 Muslims threw bags of urine, stones, and rotten eggs at the congregation of a Protestant church at the start of Ascension Day service; they shouted profanities and threatened to kill the pastor. No arrests were made. The church had applied for a permit to construct its house of worship five years ago. Pressured by local Muslims, the local administration ordered the church shut down in December 2009, even though the Supreme Court recently overruled its decision, saying that the church was eligible for a permit. Local Muslims and officials are nevertheless demanding that the church shut down.

After protests "by hard-line groups including the Islamic Defenders Front," nearly 20 Christian houses of worship were sealed off by authorities on the pretext of "not having permits." The authorities added that, to accommodate the region's 20,000 Christians, only one church may be built in the district in question.

The Muslim mayor who illegally sealed the beleaguered GKI Yasmin church, forcing congregants to worship in the streets, has agreed to reopen it—but only if a mosque is built next door, to ensure that the church "stays in line." "As well as opposition from the mayor, the church has faced hostility from local Muslims, who have rallied against them [the Christians], blocked them from accessing the street where the church is situated and disrupted their outdoor services. It is unlikely that they will suddenly embrace the Christians," according to the report.

Indonesia: In South Sumatra province, hundreds of armed Muslim men, led by local Islamic leaders, stormed and forcibly occupied two acres of land owned by the small Christian community. The raid was prompted after local Muslims realized that Christians were planning to build a place of worship. Days earlier the ceremony of laying the first stone had been held, amid protests from local residents. According to Asia News, "The process for building a church in Indonesia—Catholic or Protestant—is quite complicated and may take five to ten years to obtain all permits required by law… permission must be obtained from a number of [Muslim] residents in the area where the building is to be constructed... And even if the permission is granted 'unspecified reasons' can come into play that will lead officials to block the projects. Often, this occurs after pressure from the Muslim community or radical Islamic movements."

Also, in the Indonesian province of Aceh, a new law appeared saying that Islamic laws (Sharia) be extended to non-Muslims, the majority of whom are Christian. Elements of Sharia had already been in force but were applied only to Muslims. The new by-law [Qanun Jinayat] was approved by Aceh's legislative council and signed by Governor Zaini Abdullah, who said "Theqanun [law] does indeed oblige everyone in Aceh to follow sharia without exception. It would be unfair if Muslims were punished while non-Muslims were not, just because sharia violations are not stipulated in the Criminal Code." Since then, non-Muslim women have been harassed by police for not wearing veils, and men for wearing shorts. Three-time violators of the dress rules could be publicly caned.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dg...eheaded-3-christian-girls-as-ramadan-present/

Indonesia

Indonesia does not have a law specifically devoted to apostasy, but punishment for acts of blasphemy is prescribed in article 156(a) of the Penal Code. The Code imposes a penalty of up to five years’ imprisonment for expressions or actions in public that have “the character of being at enmity with, abusing or staining a religion, adhered to in Indonesia” or are committed “with the intention to prevent a person to adhere [sic] to any religion based on the belief of the almighty God.”[20]

Either the Penal Code or a 1965 Presidential Decision on blasphemy could be used to prosecute someone for renouncing his or her religion.[21] This Decision specifically forbids

every individual . . . in public from intentionally conveying, endorsing or attempting to gain public support in the interpretation of a certain religion embraced by the people of Indonesia or undertaking religious based activities that resemble the religious activities of the religion in question, where such interpretation and activities are in deviation of the basic teachings of the religion.[22]

This law, which recognizes six official religions (Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Confucianism), allows the government to ban groups and prosecute people who “distort” any of these religions.[23] Violation of this law carries a maximum penalty of five years of imprisonment.[24] The 1965 blasphemy law was upheld by the country’s Constitutional Court in 2010, with the Court holding that “the government maintains the power to impose limitations on religious freedoms based up on security considerations.”[25]

In addition to the blasphemy laws, Indonesia also has in place a targeted ban on proselytizing. In 2008, the government issued a ministerial decree specifically banning the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community from proselytizing.[26]

Reports indicate an increase in the application of blasphemy laws in Indonesia in recent years. While close to 40 individuals have been convicted on blasphemy charges since 1965, over half of the convictions were after 2009 with four convictions in 2011 and ten in 2012.[27]
Not so high numbers back then, but it's growing exponentially.

INDONESIA: The largest Muslim population in the world. There is great openness to the Gospel in spite of persecution—the church is growing at a rate of 5% per year.

There are more than 25 million Christians in Indonesia, and more than 13 million of them are without a Bible. As more and more seekers convert, the church grows, and the Bible gap only widens.

Christians are threatened and their churches are bombed. Throughout many parts of the country, thousands of Christians have been force to undergo Muslim conversion rituals. Those who refuse to embrace Islam are often beheaded, and their heads are paraded through the village to strike fear into the hearts of other Christians.

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/24/153417862/hard-line-muslims-confront-indonesias-christians

I can't find most of the reports I found earlier, as I found many of them, including the actual laws that inhibit christianity.
But these are quite a few stories as well from religious sites, but also from journalists and wikipedia etc.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Back to the OP, do you have any connections in Budapest for real estate? I am planning a trip to scout properties the end of the summer. Looking to buy 1-2 apartments there by the end of the year.

variance

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 29, 2013
Budapest, Hungary
Hey guys,

I am a local who is also looking into buying flats as investments so I am pretty immersed in it right now. Shoot me any questions you have, I might be able to help.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.