The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for advice for a slam dunk

Anything related to matters of the mind

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I've been in the IT industry for a loooooong time. I'm also a card carrying member of a popular sub-culture that's exploding right now. This is one of those once in a lifetime opportunities with new tech to integrate it into a popular subculture that I absolutely know has a HUGE need and it needs to be filled NOW.

There's 3 way's I can go about this.

1.) -- The hard long way.

This way has the most control, basically I will have to develop a skill that will take minimum 6-12 months to develop. This is a crucial skill to the idea that is necessary to implement it and the only one I'm lacking.

2.) -- The co-op way.

Right, so this way I can instead invest a few months looking for a co-owner that has the skill that I lack. The benefit of this is that it will be helpful to motivate me to press onto deadlines since it's just not me. The downside is obvious -- loss of control and profits are split.

3.) -- The quicker way

I'm in a position that I know someone that will see my pitch and very likely fund it. Everything I need will be funded but I lose all control and a lot of profit. However this way is much more capital backed and much more likely to (hopefully) quickly succeed. It's not necessarily "easy" but rather quicker.

To end -- this idea I've already put in motion and have a way to offshore it somewhat. Ultimately it will be a completely new EXTREMELY high demand marketable product. I've done due diligence and this is something that I guarantee will be hot as the demand has already outpaced the supply.

Well I can't really know until it comes to market? Not really, I've just come up with a way that will solve the problem of supply to meet the demand.

There's also a 4th option of outsourcing, but to build a brand I'm not confident of this option unless it's a co-op because they will have to know the eccentricities of building it.

Am I looking for a hand out? No - I am looking for advice as the best way to move forward.

I've already invested in a high end laptop to work toward option 1.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I've already invested in a high end laptop to work toward option 1.
You dont give much detail, but it sounds like you want to create an app or other software and cant code. I would get a refund for the high end laptop and use the funds + your old computer to test the market with a cheap outsourced prototype.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
So you're saying you have spotted a "once in a lifetime opportunity" that "needs to be filled now", in an industry that moves quickly.

Then you say you've just invested in a high end laptop to develop a skill that will take a minimum of 6-12 months so you can then pursue this opportunity.

That doesn't add up.

If you can learn this skill in 6-12 months then it can surely be hired today.

The high end laptop sounds a bit like buying a $300 microphone before deciding whether or not you're going to do a podcast.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
There's also a 4th option of outsourcing, but to build a brand I'm not confident of this option unless it's a co-op because they will have to know the eccentricities of building it.

As @theag suggested. Get that refund, use your old laptop.

Afterward click here. Once posting a job with some general information, you will get all kinds of people looking to help you out. Many Elancers prefer communicating over Skype as it is quick and efficient. If you are looking for an effective way of communicating with a programmer you would like hired to create your application/program prototype; this would be a good place to start.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
'Surely' no one else will spot the opportunity for 6 to 12 months......

Quit action faking and get something up and going NOW!!! Hire, pencil sketch, whatever you need to do to get enough info to get some sales. Then all will take care of itself.

Better to get 1% of 1M (and all the connections and learning that go with it) than 100% of zero.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Here's the step by step guide to doing what you want to do here:
  1. Return your laptop
  2. Get a list of potential buyers email addresses and phone numbers.
  3. Send an email to 100 on the list to pitch your idea.
  4. If no replies, send a different offer/pitch to the next 100 people.
  5. Once you start getting replies and interest, pitch the whole list (even those you already pitched) with the pitch that got an actual reply.
  6. Put together a sales script for the phone, and CALL everyone who replies.
  7. Try your script. If you can close a sale with it, use it on all replies. If not, keep editing your script or creating new ones that ultimately closes people on that phone call.
  8. Once you have cash in the bank from those calls, fund the development of your prototype.
  9. Deliver the prototype to the initial users.
  10. Are they balls-to-the-walls thrilled with it?
  11. No? Update prototype and go back to Step 9.
  12. Yes? leave your prototype alone. It's now a product.
  13. Send out 100000x more emails to your market with the same offer, and using the same sales script and close until you run out of names.
That's how you would get off to the best start.

Go.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Thanks, and your absolutely right. Can't return the laptop b/c it was a craigslist purchase (I'll sell it for a profit!) but I have hired a couple of freelancers to do the work. I've also already made a bare bones website so I can work on the marketing list and website more while I'm waiting for the freelances to complete the work.

I've had some pretty terrible experiences from Odesk and Fiverr, but from now on I'm going to give deadlines and move on from ones that can't meet them. I've never tried elance so I'll have to check it out.

To me it's extremely obvious what needs to be done as the product already exists in some form but takes hundreds of man hours to produce, so it's not really feasible on a mass scale (those who do it are booked up for years) but this process will cut it down to hours instead of hundreds.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I've had some pretty terrible experiences from Odesk and Fiverr, but from now on I'm going to give deadlines and move on from ones that can't meet them. I've never tried elance so I'll have to check it out.

Some advice for that:

The work you get will only ever be as good as the instructions you give. Be as specific as possible for literally everything you want. This will cut costs, too: the less he has to research, the more he can bill you for.

You need to make sure that the guy you hire can and will deliver on you. Get a sample, a small piece of work, set to your specifications. Start off small, and if he can deliver quick on a small thing, he should be able to deliver on a big thing. Make sure he can follow your directions exactly. I'd rather lose $200 on a test than risk $2000+ on something core for my business to work, failure meaning that I'm out $2000 and am delayed in making money.

During the length of the job you MUST be in constant contact. If you're not getting a progress report twice a week, you're F*ckin up. Might sound a little demanding but some guys just need a fire lit under their a$$ and will drag a project on for as long as they can. Make sure you can call anytime during specified times on Skype.

Fiverr... don't even worry about that, cuz what's $5? You'll get gold there, you'll get shit there... you'll get a LOT of shit. But you'll get gold, too, and the gold is usually worth it after spending $5 multiple times on shit.

Good luck.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Some advice for that:

The work you get will only ever be as good as the instructions you give. Be as specific as possible for literally everything you want. This will cut costs, too: the less he has to research, the more he can bill you for.

You need to make sure that the guy you hire can and will deliver on you. Get a sample, a small piece of work, set to your specifications. Start off small, and if he can deliver quick on a small thing, he should be able to deliver on a big thing. Make sure he can follow your directions exactly. I'd rather lose $200 on a test than risk $2000+ on something core for my business to work, failure meaning that I'm out $2000 and am delayed in making money.

During the length of the job you MUST be in constant contact. If you're not getting a progress report twice a week, you're F*ckin up. Might sound a little demanding but some guys just need a fire lit under their a$$ and will drag a project on for as long as they can. Make sure you can call anytime during specified times on Skype.

Fiverr... don't even worry about that, cuz what's $5? You'll get gold there, you'll get shit there... you'll get a LOT of shit. But you'll get gold, too, and the gold is usually worth it after spending $5 multiple times on shit.

Good luck.

Good point on the small piece of work. I had someone start on something about a year ago when I thought of the idea, since it's over halfway completed I am having him finish it, but ultimately believe I'm going to have to ditch him. We'll see how it goes this time around he seems to be more responsive this past week. I also have another one hired on Fiverr, went through 2 people and the 2nd one seems to have very good work. I should have my first prototype very soon. Mind you these are two very different products that use the same process to create.

I decided to keep the laptop because I am going to start learning after I do all of the leg work for everything else which I'm beginning to find is a lot more than I initially anticipated. Plus knowing more about it will enable me to give more specific instructions, know a better timeline, and have a better idea of what I'm paying for. I still plan on using 2 freelancers but I don't have unlimited money to keep throwing at them while I'm getting everything going, so that way I'll have a plan B. The main product is going to take a LOT of testing and will need to try out different materials, and will require specific measurements. I have to get this right since while there is something out there now like it, there's nothing that uses this process so I'm in new territory. Now that I'm further along in with it, this is going to take a while (for the main product). I have a secondary product that's not so complicated which is the one I will have soon.

I'll start a progress thread once I get a couple of sample products, then I can start reaching out to people that can help me leverage it but I need the product first.

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You don't need the product first. You need sales first.

I sold three products last week that don't even exist. That's not even enough for me to continue move on to coding it out. I want 10 sales first.

I can tell you're serious. That's why I am replying again. Trust me, it's a big mistake to start coding anything before someone hands you a check...

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Some advice for that:

This. You will get a better product (because you get your vision implemented), you can get better professionals (because you can pay more by the hours if it takes less) and people worth their salt will actually want to work with you.
I choose a client with clear specifications over a client who can't communicate properly every time, because the latter is a pain in the a$$ while the former I can blow away with a top notch execution.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I could start sending out emails but I will get a much better response if I have actual product images and I'm sure many are going to ask for a sample, something tangible they can see & touch instead of just an email with some promises of what it will be like. It should be another week tops before I get it.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Unless you are a professional basketball player, there is no such thing as a slamdunk.

Work on your fundamentals and make sure you can do a couple of layups first.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Unless you are a professional basketball player, there is no such thing as a slamdunk.

Work on your fundamentals and make sure you can do a couple of layups first.

I realize this. To say the least these past few weeks have been frustrating. I won't go into the pity party details, but the good news is the product is days away. I've come up with a new website name as I wasn't satisfied with the last one. It's all bullshit until I test my first product.

Having said that, every bone in my body and research I've done I absolutely believe this will sell hand over fist. I plan on speaking with a lawyer before release.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
This. You will get a better product (because you get your vision implemented), you can get better professionals (because you can pay more by the hours if it takes less) and people worth their salt will actually want to work with you.
I choose a client with clear specifications over a client who can't communicate properly every time, because the latter is a pain in the a$$ while the former I can blow away with a top notch execution.

This is absolute gold for those that outsource. Don't cut corners a few bucks, find someone GOOD at what they do and pay them their due. Communication is the key when you do find them. My internet was down for 4 days which held me back. I still went to places that had free-wifi but it threw me off my routine.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Here's the step by step guide to doing what you want to do here:
  1. Return your laptop
  2. Get a list of potential buyers email addresses and phone numbers.
  3. Send an email to 100 on the list to pitch your idea.
  4. If no replies, send a different offer/pitch to the next 100 people.
  5. Once you start getting replies and interest, pitch the whole list (even those you already pitched) with the pitch that got an actual reply.
  6. Put together a sales script for the phone, and CALL everyone who replies.
  7. Try your script. If you can close a sale with it, use it on all replies. If not, keep editing your script or creating new ones that ultimately closes people on that phone call.
  8. Once you have cash in the bank from those calls, fund the development of your prototype.
  9. Deliver the prototype to the initial users.
  10. Are they balls-to-the-walls thrilled with it?
  11. No? Update prototype and go back to Step 9.
  12. Yes? leave your prototype alone. It's now a product.
  13. Send out 100000x more emails to your market with the same offer, and using the same sales script and close until you run out of names.
That's how you would get off to the best start.

Go.

BTW this is a good template and I'm still on #3 (since I need the product first). This isn't coding -- this is selling a tangible product. The list I have already, it's just a matter of time until I get the product to send it out.

EDIT : Also what's to stop them from using my idea? That's why I want to talk to a lawyer. They could just cut me out once I pitch it to them. I'm fully prepared to do the work but I don't want to be cut out of the idea that I CREATED.

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
BTW this is a good template and I'm still on #3 (since I need the product first). This isn't coding -- this is selling a tangible product. The list I have already, it's just a matter of time until I get the product to send it out.

EDIT : Also what's to stop them from using my idea? That's why I want to talk to a lawyer. They could just cut me out once I pitch it to them. I'm fully prepared to do the work but I don't want to be cut out of the idea that I CREATED.
Whats your status?

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Whats your status?

Frustration on Fiverr. Over a month wasted, and weeks wasted on another freelancer. I've learned to spread out the requests. I could have almost learned this shit on my own. People who advocate "just hire someone" --- no one cares as much as you do about your project. I could have learned myself almost by now.

Very frustrating.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Frustration on Fiverr. Over a month wasted, and weeks wasted on another freelancer. I've learned to spread out the requests. I could have almost learned this shit on my own. People who advocate "just hire someone" --- no one cares as much as you do about your project. I could have learned myself almost by now.

Very frustrating.
That's value delivery..

How's Sales and Marketing going?

-C

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I appreciate the feedback but I don't understand how I'm supposed to sell and market an unproven concept before I even had at least one person that's reliable to make it possibly happen. This isn't some billion dollar idea that I can sell to anyone.

I'm still waiting on a contractor to give a prototype.

(edit: actually it could be)

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I appreciate the feedback but I don't understand how I'm supposed to sell and market an unproven concept before I even had at least one person that's reliable to make it possibly happen. This isn't some billion dollar idea that I can sell to anyone.

I'm still waiting on a contractor to give a prototype.

(edit: actually it could be)

You're looking on fiverr. That's because you don't have money.

Sales cure the "no money" problem AND will get top talent fired up.

It always starts with sales. Implementation is a lot easier when you know people will pay big bucks for it.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California

Very frustrating.
This is the way I felt when I had hired someone a while back. Frustrated and disappointed when I realized I could do it way better in a shorter amount of time, so I definitely understand how it feels.

Learn everything you need to and do it. It will be all the more rewarding when you do. It may take some time but I can bet you'll be way more satisfied in the end.

Hire only when it's impossible.
*spoiler alert: nothing is impossible for you to learn*
Sorry, cheesy & guru-y, I know. But very true.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
You're looking on fiverr. That's because you don't have money.

Sales cure the "no money" problem AND will get top talent fired up.

It always starts with sales. Implementation is a lot easier when you know people will pay big bucks for it.

I see what your saying now.

However, I DO have the money to a limited degree to at least get a few prototypes going. I sold my motorcycle and had some stashed away already. Its just a matter of finding a freelancer who can do what they say they can do. I've given up on Fiverr and posted the job on Upwork (again) and plan on doing a much more thorough vetting process. So far it looks more promising this time around and now I know what to ask and to move on quickly instead of dragging on if they can't deliver in time.

Hopefully soon ill be looking back at how stupid I was with the interview process. If I would have tried to sell it already I would have been way behind schedule on getting out the product, which is why I want to wait until at minimum I have someone I can rely on.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Pre-sales. People pre-order games, why not your product. Sell it just like you would post launch, knock 10% off for preorder bonus, sell

The difference is the game is 80% or more completed before they pre-sell it. All I have now is a few pictures and ideas.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
The difference is the game is 80% or more completed before they pre-sell it. All I have now is a few pictures and ideas.

Are you going to show every potential customer a physical product, how it works in person, etc.? Or are you going to show them pictures, descriptions, etc.?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Please SEARCH before posting.