The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't let money or your cubicle hell stop you from traveling...

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
A few months ago I decided to do some world traveling and experience new cultures. I moved to Thailand for two months, and now I've been in Bali for three weeks and am flying to Singapore tomorrow to renew my visa. I got hooked.

@GlobalWealth sent me this article, and I wanted to share it here. If any of you are looking to experience the same thing, don't let money or your automaton, Office Space-like cubicle hell stop you. Just make the leap, like this guy did:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash...avels-the-world-on-as-little-as-30000-a-year/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Nice! Bali is likely next for me. Do you surf? I hear Bali is a surfer's dream.

Actually learning to surf - one of the hardest things I've learned to do. Routinely getting beat up and switching to smaller boards.

You're in Phuket? Spent some time in Patong recently. Very cool - but a little crazy - place. :D

Last edited:

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Actually learning to surf - one of the hardest things I've learned to do. Routinely getting beat up and switching to smaller boards.

You're in Phuket? Spent some time in Patong recently. Very cool, but a little crazy, place. :D

Beauty. I'm still on a longboard. It's a pain to get out in the surf, but catches the waves way easier than the shortboards.

I haven't been to Patong yet. I hear it's pretty insane down there :) I'm up North a ways, Surin Beach. If you ever want to surf Thailand, let me know!

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Beauty. I'm still on a longboard. It's a pain to get out in the surf, but catches the waves way easier than the shortboards.

Yah - sounds like my experience.

And yes, Bali is a surfer's paradise. Great surfing everywhere, year-round.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Life is meant to be experienced. It should not be a passive endeavor.

The perpetual traveler lifestyle is not for everyone, but for those mentally capable of making it happen, it is WELL worth it.

For those constantly making excuses of why you cannot do it - you are right. You cannot.

Money, or kids, or family should never be an excuse if it is what you truly want to do.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I tried this lifestyle back in 2011 for a few months. My biggest issue was loneliness, or rather, a lack of strong, deep friendships in my everyday life. I'm still not sure how to deal with it (I'm not living this lifestyle now, though I'm tempted to start again).

If you're merely passing through numerous places, you can't build normal relationships. All of them are pretty much superficial since you're not going to see each other in just a few days, weeks or months. There's Facebook, Skype and email, but it's one thing to do fun stuff together (that's what makes friendships strong) and another to talk online (catching up for the sake of catching up gets old and draining).

The best solution I've came up with is to befriend other location-independent people and try to stay in the same area to meet with each other more often than once every few months or travel with a similar-minded partner/friend. Another option would be to have a home base for a few months and travel the rest of the year, possibly with short stops back home every couple of weeks/months to hang out with friends.

How do you deal with it @JasonR, @GlobalWealth?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I tried this lifestyle back in 2011 for a few months. My biggest issue was loneliness, or rather, a lack of strong, deep friendships in my everyday life. I'm still not sure how to deal with it (I'm not living this lifestyle now, though I'm tempted to start again).

If you're merely passing through numerous places, you can't build normal relationships. All of them are pretty much superficial since you're not going to see each other in just a few days, weeks or months. There's Facebook, Skype and email, but it's one thing to do fun stuff together (that's what makes friendships strong) and another to talk online (catching up for the sake of catching up gets old and draining).

The best solution I've came up with is to befriend other location-independent people and try to stay in the same area to meet with each other more often than once every few months or travel with a similar-minded partner/friend. Another option would be to have a home base for a few months and travel the rest of the year, possibly with short stops back home every couple of weeks/months to hang out with friends.

That's a biggie for me too. On June 22nd I left for Barcelona from US. My friends on fb flipped out, that I did it. I plan to work as I travel and wanted to stay at least a month at a place to get a feel for it, to meet some people. A week later a friend was passing through going to ibiza, and I joined her. A week in ibiza is nice, but only if you plan to do other stuff than clubbing. The island is truly magical, the vibe - warm, relaxed, and very human. I've never met more people being nice to one another, even in clubs. The coast lines/mountains are beautiful, it's so peaceful, It must be experienced imo. After a week in ibiza I felt that feeling MTF is talking about - I had this DEEP feeling of wanting a close friend to be with. That my experienced weren't full at all and I wasn't getting even 30% of the beauty - no one to share it with. Alas none of the places my good friends in US live interest me, and I don't really want to go back there for awhile. I booked a trip for Majorka because I wanted to keep the island vibe but also have a cosmopolitan vibe, so it was a nice way to have both. I arrived here yesterday and my roommate here is actually from US and is also renting airbnb. After a day hanging out much of that loneliness is gone...plus another big thing is the warmth and humanness of the people of Spain, and no holding back about expressing them goes a long way.

The pros are big. Euro is cheap, so meals and stuff in general is very affordable, especially if you lived in a big city in US. For example:

today for a merengie cake slice and a cafe late I paid $3.30

in barcelona for:

a prsecutto sandwich
a cheescake slice with berries
a bottle of juice
two bottles of water
cafe latte

I paid $9.90. In Miami, that's $20

One thing I'll say and Global touched on it - it is a hurdle mentally to realize you don't really have a return destination. (Well, I don't. I don't really want to go back to US for awhile.) That's when loneliness creeps in. But I think it's better to understand that nothing will change when you come back (trust me, I've moved away 3 times for at least a year at a time, came back, its all the same every time) and that you would probably not be as happy at home as you think you'd be. And travel, by contrasting your reality, will answer some questions that you have for yourself, and help put things in perspective. Still, the thoughts of "building a normal life", the social pressure of it, it is strong. The will to do it on your terms, that's bold.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

I typically spend time in places where I have friends. I primarily live in Latvia, but spend a lot of time in various parts of Europe, the Caribbean, Central America and the US.

When in Europe I am typically visiting friends in those locales. I have an office in the Caribbean so I am there for work and have local friends. I have a lot of friends in Panama, Costa Rica and Belize and a business partner in Panama so I always have a social circle.

In the US I visit family and friends when I am there. Unless it is work related I don't typically hit new spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
it is a hurdle mentally to realize you don't really have a return destination

The nomad lifestyle can be lived in more than one way. Personally I have a couple of different places I call "home". So I always have a destination, but it is not exactly a return destination. Its just my next destination.

Many years ago I made a conscious and planned decision to live in other countries. Not exactly the nomad lifestyle Colin talks about in his article (I have kids so need some semblance of structure) but I have lived in a few places and spent significant time in dozens of countries.

Most people cannot mentally make this leap. It certainly is not for everyone. It requires a mentality that is perfectly capable of extreme uncertainty, acceptance of unfamiliar cultures, and the confidence that you can support yourself financially and emotionally no matter what life throws at you.

If that suits you, then go for it.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
@GlobalWealth

But initially you had to explore, no? And even as you go to visit your friends, what is your average length of stay? I said it has to be at least a month, better if it's 2-3 to get a vibe for a place... but then there is Shengen zone restrictions so while one is exploring it's a bit tougher to do this. Like I am in Majorca, and I have no clue if staying here for 50 days makes any sense. In Barcelona, no problem. Wouldn't mind hearing more on the "big pros" of this lifestyle as you see it. Just to have added confidence in the decision.

I suppose you just went traveling in various places before you found your hubs? Curious as to how you picked where to go initially, with this already in mind. (as in looking for a hub - big cities first?) or just let yourself roam? I had a talk about this with a friend yesterday, he said something to the extent of "until I went to India, I thought I could just go anywhere... after India I realized I need certain things." Another friend of mine is jumping 3-5 days in each place..I don't think that really gets you anywhere unless you have a very keen eye. Took him 3 days to realize Paris sucks though :D

I'm also curious about finding a relationship while having this lifestyle, finding someone for longer term, and where to look. It seems one needs to scour the female bloggers/travel writers who also have the mobility option.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
But initially you had to explore, no?

Yes and no. I traveled quite a lot before actually making the move overseas. But when I moved to Estonia (with wife and 3 kids btw), we went sight-unseen. And basically on a whim.

From there my traveling really accelerated. Now my travels are mostly work related, but I sometimes spend weeks in one place. Sometimes just a few days.
I said it has to be at least a month, better if it's 2-3 to get a vibe for a place... but then there is Shengen zone restrictions so while one is exploring it's a bit tougher to do this.

I have residency in Latvia so I have no eu visa restrictions.

One of my buddies once said, "I know if I hate a place within a couple of days. but I don't know if I love it until I've lived there for a few weeks like a local." I think that is good advice. Do some homework on the locale.

For example, if you are in an internet related business, data speeds are critical. I doubt you want to plant yourself in Belize or Honduras for any period of time if your livelihood depends on a data connection.

If cost of living is a factor (check numbeo.com), then you don't want to plant yourself in Norway, Japan, Switzerland, London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Denmark, Finland or many big cities in southern Europe.

but once you've done some preliminary research, buy a plane ticket and go.

Curious as to how you picked where to go initially, with this already in mind.

I prefer cities. It is easier to live short term in a city. Besides the obvious point of needing a car living in the countryside, you will have a much more social and interactive lifestyle in a city and it allows you to experience the local culture more easily (at least in my experience). Plus while based in a city, it is easy enough to rent a car for a weekend and venture into the countryside.

I'm also curious about finding a relationship while having this lifestyle, finding someone for longer term, and where to look.

LOL - I may not be the ideal person to answer this. I moved to Estonia with a wife and 3 kids. Now divorced. And it is ugly. But I am making the most of it and spending a lot of time with my kids in multiple countries.

At this stage I do have a wonderful girlfriend. Luckily her work schedule is incredibly flexible and she frequently travels with me for extended periods. We took 2 six-week, multi-country trips together in the past 9 months. Not to mention other shorter jaunts.

One resource I can recommend is internations.org. It is a networking organization for expats. Most major cities have weekly or monthly meetups.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
With all the money most Americans spend on electronics, cars, eating out and other non basic expenses. They could have saved that money up and literally retired for a year in another country. 100% free time to do what you wanted. 100% freedom.

Its just insane how most people live the rat race for YEARS. Exchange your time for money. Then take that money and spend it on useless things that take up MORE of your time. Then go work more overtime at work cause you have to pay for all that "stuff" that takes your time. Insane.

But nope. Somehow just because its "normal" it means its okay. The only problem is that normal does not equal good or sane.

What can you do with a whole year of free time in another country? Read tons of interesting books? Learn a new language? Grow as a person? Make new friends? Maybe spot a business opportunity?

I did this a few years back in Guadalajara and Mexico City, D.F. Visited relatives. Rented an apartment for $250/month with utilities. And it was a NICE apartment in a NICE neighborhood.

Do the math. You can save up a few thousand dollars working at freaking best buy.

When I came back home people would tell me that I changed, that I was more sociable, expressive and generally in a better mood.

I highly urge people to do something similar.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Travelling is the education I get! I tend to travel to a nearby destination, and ensure most of my weekends are pre-booked with the itenrary. All I need to do now is, travel solo to a new country to have the best experience of all times.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm also curious about finding a relationship while having this lifestyle, finding someone for longer term, and where to look. It seems one needs to scour the female bloggers/travel writers who also have the mobility option.

How old are you?

Man, I have gone on at least 30+ dates in Thailand alone. It's not hard to find local women to date. I'm thinking about writing a blog article about it...it has truly been one of the best ways to experience life and adventures in a new country, and it opens your mind to new and interesting people.

Met some crazy girls though too, but you can't help but stumble across a few thorns to get to the roses.

You need to have a good idea of what you want, first, before you start looking for someone to settle down with. The best way to do this, IMO, is to date a lot of women. You find out real fast what you like and don't like, and who is compatible with you.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I personally don't enjoy traveling that much. My wife and I have our life absolutely filled with local activities that we love. What time we do have remaining is spent with friends and family. I could not have asked for a better life than I have.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
Life is meant to be experienced. It should not be a passive endeavor.

The perpetual traveler lifestyle is not for everyone, but for those mentally capable of making it happen, it is WELL worth it.

For those constantly making excuses of why you cannot do it - you are right. You cannot.

Money, or kids, or family should never be an excuse if it is what you truly want to do.

Although I'm not ballsy enough to jump in the deep end quite yet (i.e. Thailand, Japan, etc.) I have finally gotten over my own objections and hurdles to make my first out of country vacation (and vacation period really).

Somewhat on easy mode, heading to Montreal for the month of September. Different language, but a mostly a bilingual city hence my thoughts on "easy mode."

I've had a lot of head scratches from friends and family over it (location, duration, not speaking French, etc.) as well as the guy at the bank today when I put travel notifications on my bank cards. What I've realized is it really doesn't matter if anyone thinks I'm an idiot since it's something I want to do and experience for MY life. Hell, maybe I am an idiot and I should have gone to Buenos Aires or stayed at home, I don't know, but that's partially the point. Travel is not for everyone, but if you've got some wanderlust I'd say figure it out (we'll see how I feel about that statement in October).

Echoing Colin's (the guy from the article) sentiments, I can get more money, but I can't get my 20's (time) back. Not to mention that you can make vacation as affordable or cheaper than living at home...

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

I can echo with what @GlobalWealth said. Make friends, network in areas you'd like to live. Tell your friends to join you wherever you're going.

And, you know what, sometimes its awesome being alone in a new country. It forces you to meet new people to discover yourself, and really find out who you really are.

I've gotten to know myself pretty well, and prefer to be around friends when possible - although I'd go nuts without my alone time. So, I will typically travel with friends, or try to find contacts throughout my network in the places I want to visit. However, I won't hesitate to make new friends in new places if that's what it takes.

Like @GlobalWealth said, for this type of lifestyle, you have to be open to change, open to new experiences, and be very adaptable. Not everyone can do it.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
I took a trip to Thailand and China a couple months ago. That was my first time leaving the US.

It's very eye opening what was realized:

Our way is not the right and only way. I, like most was and may still be very ignorant. Growing up here, I only know what I have been exposed to.

Meeting new people that speak, look, and act differently made me realize our way is not the "right" way. Apparently that's something Americans are known for.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I did this a few years back in Guadalajara and Mexico City, D.F. Visited relatives. Rented an apartment for $250/month with utilities. And it was a NICE apartment in a NICE neighborhood.

how is mexico city in terms of safety? In Playa del right now, beautiful place.

I've felt similar. we should start a fastlane travel group.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
how is mexico city in terms of safety? In Playa del right now, beautiful place.

I was there for a few months. Never had a problem. Never felt unsafe or intimidated. Just common sense you would use anywhere. I guess worst case you get mugged but you will be alright. But it sure is a huge city and has its daily share of crime.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

DMKV

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2015
Panama City, Panama & Vancouver, Canada
@GlobalWealth
@Rawr

Check out Tango app. I actually met my Panamanian girlfriend within 2 weeks of being here in Panama (had no idea what the app was all about in the first place but decided to check it out!). We've been together for nearly 1 year and now live together. Couldn't be happier, really..

Christian949

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 13, 2015

You're in Phuket? Spent some time in Patong recently. Very cool - but a little crazy - place. :D

One of my stops on around the world trip for month few weeks ago was in Patong beach after Bangkok. Stayed in "Seaview Patong Hotel" - really cool hotel right across from the beach. I found Patong "beach" too dirty for me way too much trash along the coast or maybe I'm too spoiled... from Orange County California Laguna Beach. I don't know how they stand the heat though. Bangkok Sukhumvit area is crazy at night. Recommend staying in Loft hotel if you there anytime.

Another stop was Tokyo for a few days and then the train to Kyoto which I loved!!! and will be back there sometime soon again. Surprised how nice people are and they (business owners, clerks) just leave everything outside overnight and nobody touches it.

Egypt - Cairo (crazy place) like a warzone outside of hotel. Better book a 5 star hotel there, trust me its worth it.

India - Agra (Taj-Mahal) was the same as Egypt, a warzone outside of our hotel. People were crossing their "freeways" just walking slowly and not carrying about getting killed. I suggest getting a personal driver as we did. HELPS a lot.

Prague - Czech Republic - No complaints here just loved it, it is gorgeous and felt like I'm home. Food, drinks dirt cheap. I was surprised how cheap it is. For ex: a glass of very nice red wine my dad had was 1.65 $ or a dinner meal to fill you up will be no more than 5$ at a nice place (they use their own currency not euro as everyone else does in Eastern Europe). And last but not least the GIRLS 90% of them are gorgeous in Prague and just ready to have fun. In fact I got interested in University of Economics there as living is pretty cheap also. You can get a nice condo in almost center of everything for about 1k$ a month.

Moscow - Russia - It was only a layover for almost a day so we took a train to Kremlin. Was very nice, surprised how Moscow has changed over the years. By the way who want's to check out Russian - go to St Petersburg, heard some great stories about how nice it is there.

Overall the trip was great lots of different cultures, people acting different. I had a blast. but still missed out on Rio, Brazil and Amsterdam, Netherlands due to few things came up . But looking forward on going to those places soon.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Does anyone here split his time between two or more countries?

Let's say I'd like to spend a portion of my time in Europe (typically spring/summer) and a few months somewhere else, say, Central America or Asia. What are the pros and cons of such a lifestyle?

I'm pretty sure I need to have a routine or I would go crazy, so changing my location every few days or weeks wouldn't work for me. However, having two or three homes in different countries and spending at least 3-4 months in each could work - unless it's too taxing mentally to split your time between two places (different friends, homes, goodbyes every few months, etc.).

I'd love to hear from people who are/were doing it and how it worked out for them.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
It is not possible for everyone. We have never boarded a plane in the family. My parents are 60+ and not entered an airport in their life. Life is not easier for everyone to leave job and travel. If we take 3 days off from work, we tend to lose out on some committment for that particular month.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Does anyone here

Yes. I am primarily living in Latvia, but stay in North Carolina to visit my children when they are there. I am also in Anguilla (my office locale), Panama (my biz partner's home/office), and various other spots in Europe regularly.

What are the pros and cons of such a lifestyle?
split his time between two or more countries?

Pros. There is always something new. Always interesting, never boring.

Cons. You need to be mentally prepared for the unexpected.

However, having two or three homes in different countries and spending at least 3-4 months in each could work - unless it's too taxing mentally to split your time between two places (different friends, homes, goodbyes every few months, etc.).

This is exactly what I do. I would take the opposite perspective that it is significantly more rewarding. I get to spend time with different friends that I may not normally see if I only lived in one place. It gives those friends a reason to come and visit me as well. I think is easier mentally from this perspective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.