The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

mobile games vs html5 games

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Anyone have any thoughts on giving up Control to Apple/Google by making mobile games, versus keeping Control by making html5 games? I see a lot of activity in mobile gaming, but not much in html gaming (granted I'm not a Facebook user).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Do both by making your game in html and then using an app wrapper to put it on the app stores? Or use a multiplatform engine like Unity? Of course, if you keep you game on your own site, you've got to both drive traffic to it and monetize the user. One big advantage that mobile platforms bring is that the user is likely to have already stored payment info, which removes a big barrier to conversion.

It's certainly possible to go it alone, but you've got deal with more/different issues that way. Whether or not it's worthwhile depends on what kind of company you want to build.

However, it's worth noticing the successful non-mobile games which now also have mobile versions. If you aren't eventually on all the platforms, you're probably leaving money on the table.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Oh, and facebook games aren't talked about much anymore, but they still have a massive playerbase. FB shut down all the viral channels a few years back, so out of sight, out of mind I guess. Even so, the top 25 games still have about half of the combined MAU as when Farmville hit it's peak back in 2009 (357M then versus 175M last month). That's still a shitton of users.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Anyone have any thoughts on giving up Control to Apple/Google by making mobile games, versus keeping Control by making html5 games? I see a lot of activity in mobile gaming, but not much in html gaming (granted I'm not a Facebook user).

I see cocos now has a Javascript version, which makes mobile and web apps. There are so many versions/derivations of cocos I can't keep them all straight in my head.

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Cocos2d-JS

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.