The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

about Email Marketing & Optimization

Marketing, social media, advertising

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK

Mark Santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
If you were trying to pitch me on your software and I didn't know who you were, never heard about you, and I'm not even sure if I need what you have to offer....absolutely.

The idea of the first cold email is to get a response. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to add more info about what you do, etc. then your number will probably be around 2% response rate from 100 cold emails.

If you're looking for beta testers then you're really looking for people who you want to become your friends, then raving fans. This won't happen by sending a bunch of..."hey, I'm the best software since sliced bread" kind of emails.

Yes, text email from your gmail account or something similar is the only way to go in my mind.

If I get an HTML email from someone I don't know, outlook is blocking the graphics and it's going in the trash or spam file. I don't have time to read emails from people who are only interested in themselves and what they can "offer" me before they even know me.

Hope that helps ;)

Just this?

Maybe a pitch or introduction too?

You think just plain text would be better?

Mark Santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
One more thought on cold emails: if you were to walk up to a girl in the pub or the malls and say,

"hi, I'm available and you look like someone who would want to be with me. When we get married I will be the best husband ever. When we have kids I will be the best father ever.

"Want to know why? Because when I was married before to your friends, they all thought I was the best husband and father. So can I call you tonight to discuss our wedding plans?"

Sounds funny, but that's the majority of what cold email marketers are sending.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Haha that's true! Thanks for the honest replies it's appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
30 Emails sent with exactly the small amount of text that you suggested.

Subject: A question about <company name>

Body: I notice your using <company name> to power your online bookings, how's that working for you?

Took a while to manually send 30 emails in gmail, i will let you all know the replies.

Mark Santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
Good job taking action. You may not get a quick response since it's Saturday (Holiday in the US). Also, keep in mind most people do 10-30 per day. Try it for a week and adjust with you're responses. Also, followup with those you don't hear back from.

There's some great tools out there as well like Rapportive for gmail (helps you find email adresses), tout app (helps you see opens and automated followup).

If you don't hear anything back you can try Tuesday as a followup day. The idea is to have a conversation.

30 Emails sent with exactly the small amount of text that you suggested.

Subject: A question about <company name>

Body: I notice your using <company name> to power your online bookings, how's that working for you?

Took a while to manually send 30 emails in gmail, i will let you all know the replies.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
Thanks for doing this, Mark. Here is my situation, which I assume a lot of other folks just starting out also have.

I have a list of about 600 people. 450 from my newsletter website signup and 150 from a lead gen (printable version of a physical product). I haven't tried to upsell the 150 yet since the product just went on sale - I am planning that for the middle of the month.

On the first Monday of every month I send a newsletter that focuses on news about my industry/niche. I am sending to professionals, thus the Monday morning send. I write it a lot like Quartz's email...95% links to outside news sources...5% to my newest articles.

I have two branded physical products for sale on Amazon. I also have a digital product for sale on my website. Most of my revenue is from Adsense on my information website.

When my digital product went on sale last month, I included a link in the monthly newsletter announcing the product - it was formatted just like all the other links. I sold 3 units...then nothing. I have yet to send a non-newsletter, buy-me-now email. I have read a lot of the Digital Marketer stuff, which is very aggressive and not my style. I would love to have the newsletter generate its own revenue (sponsors) like Quartz. I'm still too much of a wimp to aggressively push my products. I am giving them value by curating the industry news, but I am not getting the value back - i.e. it isn't a fair trade.

Questions...
  • 600 people isn't a lot and a good chunk of them are from distant countries so I doubt they are getting value on my US focused email. I assume I just need to keep growing my list to start to see the fruits of the labor (revenue). Right or wrong?
  • I am thinking about listing my 3 products as a footer to the email. Kind of like a PS, but there every month as a reminder. Good idea?
  • I know you don't know my industry, but do you think I should be sending weekly? The main reason for not sending weekly is I still have a slow-lane job so this would be time consuming. I asked the list, but I got one response that said Monthly was perfect.
  • How should I get over my fear of the aggressive sell? I assume you are going to tell me to test it.
  • How many subscribers do you think I need to sell sponsorships? Still, this seems like a lot of work to manage.
Thanks again for doing this AMA!

Mark Santiago

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 29, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
You're welcome. There's a lot here.

1. Not necessarily, but you do need to segment your list. I've made money from a 600 person list before, but it's about building a buyers list vs freebie list.

2. You can try it, but I'm not a fan of that strategy. Emails sell the click, not the product. If the rest of your email doesn't sell the click, it won't sell the product very well. Is it possible? Yes, so test.

3. I prefer weekly over monthly any day. More touches = more sales

4. Face your fears. You're in business to make money at some point you have to stop dancing and ask them to go on a date. If you never ask for money, who's going to give it to you.

5. What do sponsorships have to do with your list? Are you selling a product or a sponsorship? Don't get lost in a sea of opportunity. If you are just a newsletter, purely educational then I understand.

It goes back to the fundamentals. What's your why? Why are you spending time on this business instead of time with your family?

Thanks for doing this, Mark. Here is my situation, which I assume a lot of other folks just starting out also have.

I have a list of about 600 people. 450 from my newsletter website signup and 150 from a lead gen (printable version of a physical product). I haven't tried to upsell the 150 yet since the product just went on sale - I am planning that for the middle of the month.

On the first Monday of every month I send a newsletter that focuses on news about my industry/niche. I am sending to professionals, thus the Monday morning send. I write it a lot like Quartz's email...95% links to outside news sources...5% to my newest articles.

I have two branded physical products for sale on Amazon. I also have a digital product for sale on my website. Most of my revenue is from Adsense on my information website.

When my digital product went on sale last month, I included a link in the monthly newsletter announcing the product - it was formatted just like all the other links. I sold 3 units...then nothing. I have yet to send a non-newsletter, buy-me-now email. I have read a lot of the Digital Marketer stuff, which is very aggressive and not my style. I would love to have the newsletter generate its own revenue (sponsors) like Quartz. I'm still too much of a wimp to aggressively push my products. I am giving them value by curating the industry news, but I am not getting the value back - i.e. it isn't a fair trade.

Questions...
  • 600 people isn't a lot and a good chunk of them are from distant countries so I doubt they are getting value on my US focused email. I assume I just need to keep growing my list to start to see the fruits of the labor (revenue). Right or wrong?
  • I am thinking about listing my 3 products as a footer to the email. Kind of like a PS, but there every month as a reminder. Good idea?
  • I know you don't know my industry, but do you think I should be sending weekly? The main reason for not sending weekly is I still have a slow-lane job so this would be time consuming. I asked the list, but I got one response that said Monthly was perfect.
  • How should I get over my fear of the aggressive sell? I assume you are going to tell me to test it.
  • How many subscribers do you think I need to sell sponsorships? Still, this seems like a lot of work to manage.
Thanks again for doing this AMA!

Last edited:

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
I don't usually recommend buying lists. There's just too much liability to get fined. Plus, you're conversion rates would be drastically low. A slow build is always the way to go. If you have cash, you can easily grow your list fast by targeted ads online.

Best day depends on too much. Who are they, what are they doing, what interest do they have with what you're offering?

I always recommend at least once per week, but we mail upwards of 2x day to some of our lists. It just depends.

A few Metrics that we track: Open rates, CTR, action/response rate, email engagement, revenue/sub, revenue/click,

Do you have a company that can help me learn more? or you work in as an individual consultant?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Update: So I have sent 30 emails a day over 2 days, already had 12 responses. I just have to keep sending 30 emails and make it a daily goal. Will see if any of them turn fruitful

MAFI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 12, 2013
Hi, Mark thank you for this helpful AMA. Can you give some tips on how you would approch an email list full of (female) jewellery customers?

I am a total beginner in List marketing. For the start my first emails will contain offers to useful equipment (for example cleaning gadgets) and other exlusiv jewellery and accessoirs.

I read story telling is important but have no right idea how to put a twist to this.

Thank you very much and kind regards

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Update: So I have sent 30 emails a day over 2 days, already had 12 responses. I just have to keep sending 30 emails and make it a daily goal. Will see if any of them turn fruitful

@tafy How's this coming along for you? Any results you can share?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Was terrible, I stopped now to reconsider my approach.

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
Thank you for the thread @Mark Santiago I'm currently working on a platform that will also be developing an email list to sell backend products. I plan to scale overseas where there is a larger market. Do you have any preferences on email providers that aren't blocked in other countries. I can purchase an international email address from godaddy for a small fee. Are there providers you suggest or suggest not to use that will automatically put me in the spam folder?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.