The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My receptionist has too much free time. What can I have her do?

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I've had enough of watching my receptionist melting her face into her cell phone in between talking with clients and entering expenses / sales etc....

What the heck can I have her do to stay productive? Any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Bill_Clinton_Hay_1756678i.jpg

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I've had enough of watching my receptionist melting her face into her cell phone in between talking with clients and entering expenses / sales etc....

What else needs to be done for the business?

Nick314

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 14, 2015
Have her research market opportunities. You could have her survey customers for feedback or competitors for ideas. Educate her if necessary.

Turn her into a salesman with a commission incentive on either new clients, upsales, or new market opportunities. Make her know she's valuable.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

So, many inappropriate ideas :)

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Have her research market opportunities. You could have her survey customers for feedback or competitors for ideas. Educate her if necessary.

Turn her into a salesman with a commission incentive on either new clients, upsales, or new market opportunities. Make her know she's valuable.
Good response, thank you :)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Have her write hand written thank you letters to anyone and everyone you do business with

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Have her write hand written thank you letters to anyone and everyone you do business with

Yes, but they should be very interesting letters. No bland black and white missives. No, the letters must have at least 50 shades of grey, and possibly a 51st.

@jon.a Your comment brings to mind the Maggie Gyllenhaal scene from the movie The Secretary. <<== @McCoyH. That'll give you plenty of ideas. Hahaha

On a serious note, I don't know your business, but if had a secretary with some extra time on her hands... I would have her follow-up with sales recruits. Start some kind of advertising campaign in which she has to speak with your leads and pre-qualify them.

SimonP99

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 19, 2015

Give her a sales script and a list of prospects and offer her a bonus for every new customer she acquires.
If your receptionist is not busy enough generating more business should be your priority...

Nick314

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 14, 2015
It also depends on how much she's willing to tackle. If she's a go getter, pile it on and see what she can do. If she performs, give her more and more abstract requests and see what she comes up with. If she's not, well, then you may have to spoon feed her tasks.

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
If she's interested in growing then I'd help her to become more valuable to my company. Whatever that may mean to you. I don't know what you do so I can't make specific suggestions. Does she have any innate talents your company could utilize? Like if she has a great phone voice and is personable. How can you get the best out of her and help her to grow?

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Give her incentives for new marketing ideas/strategies, acquiring new customers, and retaining customers.

Test her creativity by having her submit new ideas to you every week about how to grow the business.

Have her call past cusomers, thanks them, and get feedback on how you can do things BETTER

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha! Well During most of my internships there were always these massive amounts of files that needed reorganizing, duplicates and copies needed to be thrown out, and there were always businesses to call and update addresses, phone numbers, and deleted if they no longer existed. Schedules to be made, updating client data base making sure everything was correct. Donation and fundraiser lists had to be called and updated. I'm not sure what kind of business you run, but I've never seen an office where secretaries weren't bombarded with work telephone calls, and paper work of every sort. Not to mention learning company procedures, policies, seminars, and cleaning. I've never worked for to many companies that let me sit around and talk on my personal cellphone. I did work as a nurse aide too where I did have maybe 20 minutes to spare and just happen to get all my work completed. I would read a book for those twenty minutes.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Ha ha! Well During most of my internships there were always these massive amounts of files that needed reorganizing, duplicates and copies needed to be thrown out, and there were always businesses to call and update addresses, phone numbers, and deleted if they no longer existed. Schedules to be made, updating client data base making sure everything was correct. Donation and fundraiser lists had to be called and updated. I'm not sure what kind of business you run, but I've never seen an office where secretaries weren't bombarded with work telephone calls, and paper work of every sort. Not to mention learning company procedures, policies, seminars, and cleaning. I've never worked for to many companies that let me sit around and talk on my personal cellphone. I did work as a nurse aide too where I did have maybe 20 minutes to spare and just happen to get all my work completed. I would read a book for those twenty minutes.
Yes, that was the stuff I was thinking about :)

Nick314

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 14, 2015

Sounds like some massive inefficiencies. I highly recommend the book "Maverick" that talks about some unconventional (yet highly effective) ways to streamline business operations--things like don't file papers--just throw them out--saves storage space and time.

But regardless, there should be stuff to get done.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Sounds like some massive inefficiencies. I highly recommend the book "Maverick" that talks about some unconventional (yet highly effective) ways to streamline business operations--things like don't file papers--just throw them out--saves storage space and time.

But regardless, there should be stuff to get done.
Well this was a government agency so hard copies are necessary legally for cases. So yes 1000's of files over generations are kept for a reason. When you're dealing with certain places like Government/Mental Health/Health Care/Non-profits there's a limited portion you can use for computers and technology, but then a certain other portion you have to have paperwork.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
What are you currently doing that she isn't? Isn't the whole purpose to leverage you time into more productivity?

Is there anything you're doing that you can document as a procedure, a system of fool-proof instructions she can follow to save you time?

That's how I would approach it. Systemize something I'm doing and hand it off to my team members/employees.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
Thanks for the good idea guys, one thing I think she could start doing is calling recent customers / clients and make sure they were satisfied, see if they'd have time to leave us a review etc... Thanks for the input!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.