The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Finished latest gig. Waiting for payment to go through. Doubling rate once it does.

I know I'm going slowly with this, and I'm working on it. But that I've made money from this at all is still boggling my mind.

Why haven't I done this before?

Trying to get everything juggled around to fit my fiction writing, freelancing, and other improvements I am working on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here's a simple Gary Halbert style attention getter e-mail that might help you:

Subject Line: A Few Simple Tricks To Increase Conversions by 75% (See Inside)

Message: "Hello, I don't mean to bother you and I don't want to waste your time.

However, I was on your website and saw that there are some very simple improvements that can be made on your copy.

My name is The J. I'm a copywriter who has worked with businesses similar to yours.

If you would just give me a call at (555)-555-5555, I could share with you, at NO COST to you, a few SIMPLE tips that will get you results immediately.

It's something to consider.

J"

Try it out and see how it works. Make edits how you see fit.

I wonder how this variation would work?

SUBJECT:
Get more leads from <website-name> with 4 simple changes (see inside)​

I found your website when looking for a local <niche> in <location>.

I see many ways you can get more leads.
Please find 4 of them below, free of charge.

I'd love to chat about other ways you can get more leads.
If you're interested, just let me know what time I can call you.

Thanks,
Andy
<my-number>

Get more leads with these 4 simple changes:

1) Get more leads by putting your phone number top right where people expect it

<Screenshot of their page>

<Screenshot of good example page>

2) Get more leads by ...

3) Get more leads by ...

4) Get more leads by ...

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

SUBJECT:

Thanks,
Andy
<my-number>

2) Get more leads by ...

3) Get more leads by ...

4) Get more leads by ...

I do like that one. I was more afraid that the person who got the email wouldn't read it.

I wonder if it would work better if you had all of that as an attachment? I'd test both: one with it in the email, one with it in the attachment

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego

SUBJECT:

Thanks,
Andy
<my-number>

2) Get more leads by ...

3) Get more leads by ...

4) Get more leads by ...
I get a bunch of Gary Halbert style e-mails "I was on your website and..." and I delete them without reading because it's clear they weren't on my website. But if it had screenshots and actual valuable tips I'd take a look.

I don't know how people who aren't in the copywriting loop react to them though. Maybe to them it's the same. So I'm with @The-J on testing both.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Nice one, what rate did you start out with when you first joined up?
I started with $5 as my minimum. First gig paid $5, and the second was fixed price for several times that.

From what I was told, they liked what I did, and the latter even offered repeat jobs doing the same thing, saying that I did great. So, $10 should be fine for now, but I'm honestly not looking for long term projects.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do like that one. I was more afraid that the person who got the email wouldn't read it.

I wonder if it would work better if you had all of that as an attachment? I'd test both: one with it in the email, one with it in the attachment

I get a bunch of Gary Halbert style e-mails "I was on your website and..." and I delete them without reading because it's clear they weren't on my website. But if it had screenshots and actual valuable tips I'd take a look.

I don't know how people who aren't in the copywriting loop react to them though. Maybe to them it's the same. So I'm with @The-J on testing both.

Yes, it's all testing fodder.

The most important bit is to get people to open the email. Hence putting their website domain in the subject line, and/or maybe their name.

The subject line starts with "Get more leads ...", and that statement is scattered throughout the email too - count them if you want ... :)

I'd put your analysis in the email so that people can get the info without having to click. Some people might open the email on their phone, so don't want to download anything. Other people would be suspicious of downloading anything attached to an email from an unknown source too.

Maybe don't include the screenshots in the email, but instead send them to a unique URL showing a more detailed analysis of their website. You can then track that click to see whether they clicked through to it. (I don't really trust the open-rate metric... I personally open emails just to archive them when I'm on my phone using gmail). You can then have your call to action on that page, maybe with links to your services etc to lead them further down your funnel.

I know of guys who have the tracking in place to detect when people have clicked the link, and observe them on the website. They can then "coincidentally" ring them a few minutes later.

Saying all that, I personally am going to try this by sending an actual lead in the first place...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been thinking about a small piece of the UpWork puzzle, and how it effects long-term opportunities.

A lot of the reviews I get, or read from freelancers go like this:

"Great client! Easy to work with. Would recommend!"

These reviews are nice, and it's cool to get 5-star feedback, but if this is all you're writing, then you're missing out on a chance to add value.

Whenever I write feedback for a client, I always go above and beyond because clients read their own feedback, and if your feedback shows how much you enjoyed working for them and how awesome they are, then they'll remember you when it comes to future gigs and referrals.

For instance, I might write something like this:

"John was a great client who was always available, very patient, and open to suggestions. I felt perfectly fine asking questions and didn't have to worry about feeling judged for not knowing all of the answers.

He's one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working for, and I'm more than happy to work for him again in the future. Freelancers rest assured that John values your work and goes above and beyond to communicate effectively and ensure the project turns out well.

I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to work for you John. I think you've got a great business idea and I'm certain if you keep going you'll hit it big very soon. I'm just happy to have played a small role in it.

Thanks again!"

As a client I'd feel really good reading something like this. I'd know that the freelancer truly valued my opportunity. What's more is I'd feel that they understood the true value of what I'm trying to create.

A lot of clients on UpWork are young entrepreneurs just like you and me. They're building startups. They're just starting out. They think their idea is great, but nobody around them gives a shit. So, imagine how they feel when they read something inspiring that motivates them to keep going even when everyone else tells them they're a fool.

Don't you think they might remember that?

It goes the other way too. If you're a client hiring a freelancer you should offer praise and a quality review. Not only does it help them get more gigs and higher pay, but it helps ensure they want to work for you again, and also makes them strive for higher quality next time.

Remember, it's all about giving people what they want. It's about making them feel good. It's about making them like you and not just your services. It's about creating value in places where it didn't previously exist. Not only do you make the client feel good, but you also help him out by proving to other freelancers that he's worth putting in the extra effort for.

When you see the value where others don't, then you can earn when others can't.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Just sent off my first application for a writing gig, I have no experience, and there are butterflies in my stomach.

The application process took me 5 hours:

- Two Hours of fear-based procrastination
- Three Hours writing a sample (samples are my only way to fight back the lack of experience/testimonials, and I'm not prepared to lie.)

Thank you Lex. Your HUGE efforts in this thread will help me f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶c̶a̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶t̶-̶f̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶b̶i̶t̶ fund my fastlane and really internalize the producer mindset.

I have F*cked around a lot, and (really) failed a little. I think your method is a great segway to those of us who need to start again, but with a correct mindset this time.

P.S.

The 'Fast-Food habit' thing was a joke. I am not addicted to burgers. :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited:

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Thanks Andy.

Pretty basic until the pricing stuff. Still something I'm struggling with. This weekend I under charged so much, the client almost doubled the payment when he paid me.

Great article and a timely reminder:
Must. Charge. More. :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks Andy.

Pretty basic until the pricing stuff. Still something I'm struggling with. This weekend I under charged so much, the client almost doubled the payment when he paid me.

Great article and a timely reminder:
Must. Charge. More. :)

Is the answer really to charge more?

Last week I hired an accountant at $5.00 an hour. I wasn't going to hire him, because his price was too low and I wanted someone of at least $15 to $20/hr. But then I read his application, and he had a lot of experience. On top of that he took the time to send a well thought out description of how he would help me.

When I chatted with him on Skype he spent more than an hour giving valuable information that I would have gladly paid for, and by the time it came to a close he had the job.

A week later my books are nearly all caught up & cleaned up. I know about the taxes I've missed, the penalties I might pay, and the routes I have to choose from moving forward. I know how to pay myself, and all about how not to break laws. Beyond that he also spent hours with me discussing ways to move forward with various aspects of business. He offered several solutions for Nonovels which still sits stagnant, and a lot of knowledge on other areas as well.

All of this and I've only been billed $30.00.

But why so low?

I suspect he knows that if I take off, then his pay will increase too, because I'll have more money to pay him, and will be extremely grateful for what he's done to help. Plus, I'm getting comfortable with him quickly, and that's really important for freelancers, because the more comfortable you make a client, the more they'll want to keep you around. This goes for employers too. It also means that later it will be harder for me to get rid of him, even if his pay increases, because I won't want to take a chance on someone else, or risk doing it myself.

Look at what your client did for you. If I'm reading your statement right, then the client actually paid you a lot more than you expected to get because he highly valued your work. This says something about the emotions involved in the transaction. He must have felt you deserved more, which also means he felt he wasn't offering enough, which digs even deeper into "If I don't pay this person more, then I must be a bad person."

This is useful knowledge when you learn how to use it.

Remember, copywriting is all about getting to the core issue.

When you look at it like this, then you have to ask if a higher price is really worth it.

The clients I've had who paid the most were definitely among the smartest, and most communicable, but they also had the highest standards and expectations.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
Inspired by this thread, I tried my luck with freelancing on Elance.

I'm not a copywriter by no means. And I don't want to become one.

I simply offered anything that I thought would be valuable for other entrepreneuers. So I did some project management, business plan writing, financial analysis, academic writing. Simply everything I've real live experience with.

I invested about 1-2 hours pitching per day, and then of course delivering the work.

Made about 1,5k revenue in 4 weeks.

Here's where it gets interesting:

A project management client asked if I do this full time. I told him about my main business...well he needed exactly what I'm offering. Ring Ring 6,5k order.

So far so good.

I hired a freelancer for myself on Elance that I know from real live. We did alle communication on Skype / Basecamp and I kept the Elance job description very short. Just the minimum 200 signs. The freelancer delivered within a day on Basecamp, and I released funds on Elance combined with a 5* Rating.

Well Elance didn't seem to like this, they told me some BS about the integrity of the platform aso...

As a result my account and the account of the freelancer is under review since 4 weeks.

-> Elance / Odesk is a nice way to make some quick ca$h. But as fast as it comes, as fast can it be gone.

Last edited:

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
He must have felt you deserved more, which also means he felt he wasn't offering enough
Agreed on the former, but as for the latter: he asked how much he owed me (was off Upwork, so not a fixed price/hourly) and when I quoted him, he paid me extra. He wasn't offering, I was asking. And I feel like I asked too low.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much I value my time. I think there's a change in my thinking needed where I realize I shouldn't be charging peanuts, and I should be trying to understand what my time is actually worth.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Agreed on the former, but as for the latter: he asked how much he owed me (was off Upwork, so not a fixed price/hourly) and when I quoted him, he paid me extra. He wasn't offering, I was asking. And I feel like I asked too low.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much I value my time. I think there's a change in my thinking needed where I realize I shouldn't be charging peanuts, and I should be trying to understand what my time is actually worth.

Your time is worth what others will pay you for it.

The easiest way to find out is to increase your rates and see what happens.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

lol Cheer's Andy. I loved their info graphic (below) and the copy in their email popup, so much so I gave them an email address.

2t8qHPW.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"SinisterLex, post: 467395, member: 13831"]Your time is worth what others will pay you for it.

^^^ This.

It's the same with property too. It took me a while to realise that an estate agent valuing your property at X means nothing if no-one will buy at that price.

Very wise Mr Lex. I hadn't quite applied the same thinking to my services. Thanks for spelling it out.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Got my first job through personal connections. Very, very lucky.

I'm supposed to help design an email marketing campaign for a military veterans charity - I've never done that before.

One of my friends told me something that I wrote on a piece of paper and hung above my desk.

Those who can -> Do.
Those who can't - Learn.

Therefore do what you can.
And learn what you can't.​

foreverforex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 4, 2015
By the way...

For the love of god, anyone who thinks you can't make money without having money...

Read the post above... I didn't spend a dime sending those applications.

Just a bit of time.

Well written article ;)

I solidly agree with this reply, sure in some aspects big dollars are required to generate big revenues, don't get me wrong. However, everyone starts somewhere. Like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, look where they started; in there own garages. That's no 5-star apartment, all you have to do is utilise the resources around you and improvise to solve problems. It's all about 'breaking' the mindset everyone who has failed makes you believe; "You need money to make money", "You can't do that without a qualification!", or "You have no experience, hire someone else to do it". When you start believing and following comments similar to the ones above, that's when you start losing faith and start getting brainwashed. It's very simple simple, all you have to do is break the mindset. Don't listen to the brainwashing. Be creative and be a problem solver.

Think outside the square and you will go far.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Feedback for my first ever upwork job.

"Adrian was awesome. He didn't come with a pick of the shelf solution, but was truly interested in my story. Furthermore, he was the only professional, who previously to sending me a proposal checked my social media streams, to try to understand a bit more of my personal story. Working with Adrian has been a please. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Will definitely hire him again."

Thank you so much again Lex.

I got this job not because I'm the world's best writer, but because of Mindset Lesson No. 1. That entire paragraph of feedback is a guy admiring the application of Mindset lesson No. 1

It works.

P.S. to anyone reading this starting out.

My profile is only 90% complete. I have no tested portfolio. No feedback. No experience.

And I didn't whore out. I charged higher than anyone else.

If you follow this thread and Lex's other thread, excuses dissipate and things start to happen.

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Hey @SinisterLex did you ever make a video for your Upwork profile? I recall having a couple of exchanges with you a couple months ago about this, but I don't remember if you ever got around to recording one. I don't know if having a video helps any, but I'm writing a script and plan to record one within the next day.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Hey @SinisterLex did you ever make a video for your Upwork profile? I recall having a couple of exchanges with you a couple months ago about this, but I don't remember if you ever got around to recording one. I don't know if having a video helps any, but I'm writing a script and plan to record one within the next day.

Yeah I made one. It wasn't the worst I've done. I winged it. Should have scripted it for a more powerful effect.

Still, I'd say it's better than 99% of other freelancer videos.

Was gonna re-shoot today, but accidentally knocked my audiobox off the desk and now my Mic isn't working.

Gotta fix it quick. Had to do a Skype call today and had no way of speaking without text!
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/posts/454454/

Last edited by a moderator:

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Got my first job through personal connections. Very, very lucky.

I'm supposed to help design an email marketing campaign for a military veterans charity - I've never done that before.

One of my friends told me something that I wrote on a piece of paper and hung above my desk.

Those who can -> Do.
Those who can't - Learn.

Therefore do what you can.
And learn what you can't.​

Holy crap! I was just coming on here to ask what I should do because a client asked if I can do an email campaign for him and I'm not sure what to do since I don't have any experience with that and I saw THIS post. Serendipitous, I think.

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Hey all,
I just wanted to share a quick success. I just got a response from a prospect that goes to show that doing what Lex teaches works.
The first line of his response is:
"Hi Jax! Thank you for your proposal. Got a bunch of them, you were the only one who didn't send a form response - the only one to mention amazon."

The "competition" on Elance/Upwork aren't all that competitive it would seem. I've had an Elance profile for a few months but wasn't really doing anything with it and then I implemented the tips from Lex and others and have been getting work. Thanks, Lex and all for your help.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Haven't posted in a while, but I have another update.

It looks like I'm about to hit my first $1,000 week. They're not copy jobs, mind you: they're something else.

I've found a niche (actually, a certain silver hawk told me I could make $20,000 a month in the niche...) and I'm exploiting it like crazy. I just started in the niche and I'm already seeing mild success.

I'm not going to expose the niche cuz it's unimportant.

As an aside...

I changed my Elance profile a bit. I wrote my profile for my niche. No job history, no nothing. Jack up my rate to $100/hr.

I then get upgraded to Level 2 in my category... and then I showed up in the 1st page of search in my (very small) niche.

I get invited to a job. I get a phone number. I get on the phone. We talk.

I'm honest with her. She's my first client in the niche, and I told her my background. I told her what I can do for her and that I had not had success in the niche before.

She accepted my proposal after talking with 2 more experienced companies.

No job history. No feedback. Just a phone call and a mindset of helping other and pure honesty.

Moral of the story:

1) Take action. If a smart person tells you to do something, you F*cking do it.

2) Niching from the get go might actually be the best way to go, because you appear in search and are invited to the odd job.

3) Be honest and go in with the desire to HELP... and forget about you, your desires, and your fears for one second.

Go for gold.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
@JaxAttacks @The-J Awesome!

A small update on my journey. I've been travelling and visiting family & friends for the past 6 days because I got pretty lonely. I forgot all about money, upwork, business and everything. I needed the break and I'm glad I took it.

Today I checked my internet accounts.

2 Job Offers received.

0 Applications sent.

Help people and they will come back for more.

KennyJA

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 7, 2015
Yea, I hadn't noticed but a lot of what I learned from my entrepreneurship is copywriting. I think I'm a cut above the rest. I've read a lot of articles and wrote a lot of ads, but let oDesk decide for itself.

Stardust

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 18, 2015
I'm jumping on the Upwork and Elance bandwagon. Sent two you-focused job applications today. My first small goal is to get my first client and overdeliver.

It's a bit challenging to be focused on the client and remove yourself from the picture. All of us have probably heard it a million times by now: "Help people, give value, it's not about you..." But there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path as Morpheus says.

And Lex, you are right. Copywriting by itself won't do jack for you. You also need to show people how you can help them with those skills and give them value. There are a lot of good writers out there who are broke.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.