The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Facebook is a Joke (And various social media/smartphone insanity)

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
download facebook news feed eradicator. now, like me you can use the site when its needed for private groups, and not look antisocial by not accepting persistent friend requests from people you know in person.

''why won't you add me?''
because I could care less to see a picture of you prancing around a statue, or cradling a bulls balls like every single person And I'm sick of your duck lips.
its the largest hunk of bronze you will ever see. Seriously LOOK HOW SHINY ITS NARDS ARE compared to the rest of it!!!
stare at screens.. do the exact thing.. dang. people are zombies.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here ya go! Try and spot the one young lady who decided to leave her smartphone at home (or pocketed) at the Magic Mike premiere and instead chose to enjoy the moment for what it is.

Find her?

Of course you didn't.

There wasn't ONE.

Not ONE.

Hell, a third of these women aren't even looking at the hot celebrity, their looking at their phones.

MW-DP295_channi_20150702114811_ZH.jpg

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 2, 2013
You guys have to understand, the reason why any social media is doing so great, is because it is catering to the massive insecurities of this young generation. They were thrust into a economy that is everything but friendly to them, lack the adequate education to face life's hardships, many of them have boomer parents that were lifetime sidewalkers. The only thing that can find comfort on that isn't super expensive is the ever expanding internet, and social media enables this generation of young kids to satisfy their vanity without actually work for it with other people. Work in IT my manager has warned me not to ever work for a social media company because it is all but a fad.

Humans are social creatures. Keeping up to date with where you stand socially was necessary for survival. Knowing what other people think is cool, knowing what people think about you, knowing how others in your group think about each other, etc.

Rejection from the group was extremely bad before modern civilization. Now we are in a group of millions, where you get kicked out of one group and just go find and join another. That wasn't possible back when there were smaller numbers of humans on the planet.

Gossiping, bragging, and social maneuvering is something people of ALL generations do. It's wired into HUMANITY.

Older generations do this through written mail, talking on the phone, talk radio, or in person gossip.

Please visit a church, golf course, bar, relatives, etc. You will see people sharing pictures of their trips... in person. They will talk about the restaurant they went to. The celebrities they like. They will gossip about the relationships people are getting into. The fights they've recently had. Basically everything that people post on social media sites now.

This is NORMAL.

In biology there are things called super stimuli. Evolutionarily things with high fat and sugar content were very good for us. We didn't evolve with access to the candy and junk food we have now, so we aren't properly programmed to avoid it. We evolved in situations where refrigerators and supermarkets didn't exist. When you found something that delicious you ate a lot of it just in case.

The same is true of social networks. Being socially rewarded was GOOD for your survival. (notice that even here people want lamborghinis, nice clothes, a nice house, etc.)

Social media is a super stimuli where you get to experience more social feedback, more gossip, etc. than ever was possible before.

Social media is NOT a fad.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
I post art on there, and ads during holiday season, but I post and leave. Never any good content, so why scroll?

People go to social for a similar reason as forums: connection. The difference being they go to forums for connection with like-minded people.

Consumer forums are just as bad as fb. I visit here or art forums instead, but I usually learn something productive.

For ex, testing this checklist exercise I recently found here, kicking my a$$

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Hey fellows, here's an opportunity:

I'm in a NEED, and I know I can't be alone.

I live now 3 years without a mobile phone, and I have a hard time having
a deep conversation in person with people that have their hands glued to their phone.

If there'd be a solution, I'd pay for it.

Cheers

PS: I'm also speaking to you, you naughty lurkers:)

PPS: No, I won't spray other's phones with pepper spray

Last edited:

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
fb is an awful addiction, along with instagram, etc. So is this forum, but it's a good addiction.

I deactivate my social media stuff from time to time bc I go on too often sometimes and it's an utter complete waste of time.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When a fight breaks out in front of you and your first instinct is to pull out your phone and record, you know you're a sheep. We're doomed as a society.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
When a fight breaks out in front of you and your first instinct is to pull out your phone and record, you know you're a sheep. We're doomed as a society.

Look at that crowd rushing over. All aboard the instant gratification train!

My first instinct would have been "this is great - all the lines just emptied out!". Just like high school, everyone stopped what they were doing during lunch to run over in mob-style and watch a squabble, meanwhile only a few people took advantage of this and cut their wait times for lunch drastically.

Reminds me of my old "career" field in Asset Protection. I remember being at stores on Black Friday, watching everyone pile in, fighting over carts, running through the store. Mind you, these people waited outside the store for hours just to get a deal. Whenever an incident occurred, instead of helping everyone just pulled out their cell phones and sure enough, there was always that one guy who would exclaim "I know my rights!!".

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

OMG. That's disturbing.

No one helping. Just crowding, observing, recording, laughing.

Makes me sick.

Too bad there's not a huge water hose attached to the camera that recorded this, that could blast them and break them all up. :D

G

Guest3722A

Reminds me of something very similar that happened just last week when me and a buddy pulled up to an autozone just outside of Detroit and next to me pulled in another vehicle and then a cop behind him. Cop jumps out and gun drawn on guy next to me yelling commands. When we got in the store (laughing a bit because adrenalin is fun) people had the videos going already! Some were running outside to get closer.

I would like to side with all of this fading away in the next 5-10 years but the addiction seems to be greater than opiates and the dealers are masters at keeping the addicts in the loop

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Another recent example: Tianjin.
giphy.gif

This is the most spectacular footage of the incident,
but something tells me that this person won't be able to enjoy the "likes".
Jesus christ dude!

Found this other video where people are celebrating the explosion...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Jesus christ dude!

I think that one is a sermon. lol

I must be the black sheep. I don't even own a phone. I miss everything!

D

DeletedUser394

Holy shit, thank you for bumping this. This is a quality bump.

I see myself in a lot of this bs. The validation seeking, the 'oh I should do xyz so I can post it on facebook.'

I'm also sick and tired of the constant updates from people (surprisingly some fastlaners feel the need to post nonstop about their location, or what they're eating, if they're working out, every couple of hours, etc).

No matter how awesome my day has been, I get on there and see that 'friend' xyz had a date with a model, or bought a new lambo, etc.

It's all a load of crap.

Need a long hiatus from it:

'Your account has been deactivated
To reactivate your account, log in using your old login email and password. You will be able to use the site like you used to.
We hope you come back soon.'

Nah, f off.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Two observations relevant to this thread.
  • The outrage mob culture on social networks like twitter has gone out of control. The entire platform is basically a never-ending battle between two poles on a spectrum. Pick your camp, and you are set - there is an outrage after the other. This has created a system where bullshit has started to have real life consequences, and people are too brainwashed to notice. People are losing their careers over a tweet because thousands of people are actually going after them in real life. If you don't see how stupid thingies written on a website should not have similar power, I think you should have a minute of self-examination and wake the F*ck up, because five years ago you would have laughed at the idea.
  • 99% of the Internet is garbage. We say over and over that the masses are wasting their lives posting shit on Facebook, and yeah, everybody knows that. There is another pitfall, though, that's just as dangerous and I'm sure a lot of members of this board fall into it every day. Producing content that does not have a purpose. People have a natural need for being heard and being part of a group, and on the internet is easier to produce and share content. Then you have thousands of people writing blogs and websites that are just repeating the same thing and that will never produce value for anybody. Not to their readers, and not to them. They will never make money. They will never help anybody. Other bloggers will pat them in the back to get them to do the same, and that's it. How is that different than playing Ruzzle? At least playing is funny.

merc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 12, 2014
  • 99% of the Internet is garbage. We say over and over that the masses are wasting their lives posting shit on Facebook, and yeah, everybody knows that. There is another pitfall, though, that's just as dangerous and I'm sure a lot of members of this board fall into it every day. Producing content that does not have a purpose. People have a natural need for being heard and being part of a group, and on the internet is easier to produce and share content. Then you have thousands of people writing blogs and websites that are just repeating the same thing and that will never produce value for anybody. Not to their readers, and not to them. They will never make money. They will never help anybody. Other bloggers will pat them in the back to get them to do the same, and that's it.

Very unfortunate that you feel this way. No one is forcing you to read buzz feed , elite daily or any of those "garbage" blogs that are clearly click bait sites meant to drive traffic. That's their sole purpose. Be glad that you are aware of this as you are not apart of the brainwashed masses.

The internet is a beautiful thing. Anything that is consumed in excess, as a result of habit, without thought, is bound to have a negative impact in some way.

How many fast laners are there really? 1%? The same logic can be applied to people who actually think about their smartphone usage.

One negative ill say is that It doesnt help that i feel as if most parents have no idea what's going on and refuse to keep up with tech. We live in the digital age. It's time to keep up with smart tech usage as it affects everyone.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Very unfortunate that you feel this way. No one is forcing you to read buzz feed , elite daily or any of those "garbage" blogs that are clearly click bait sites meant to drive traffic. That's their sole purpose. Be glad that you are aware of this as you are not apart of the brainwashed masses.
That is absolutely not what I'm talking about. Those clickbait sites make loads of money. I'm talking about people who could make something worth, but don't, because they fall in the circlejerking trap of writing yet-another-blog on such and such. They write about things instead of actually doing them, because it's easier to get compliments on your 800 words post than actually do something great. Wasted potential. It's sad.

merc

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 12, 2014
That is absolutely not what I'm talking about. Those clickbait sites make loads of money. I'm talking about people who could make something worth, but don't, because they fall in the circlejerking trap of writing yet-another-blog on such and such. They write about things instead of actually doing them, because it's easier to get compliments on your 800 words post than actually do something great. Wasted potential. It's sad.

I misunderstood. Yes you're absolutely right. I find it sad that those click bait sites make loads of money. They offer zero real societal value

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Jesus christ dude!

That's not the original audio. Just some guy trying to get youtube views. If done on a large scale, could be profitable.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007