The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Travel = the Best Education and Idea Incubator

Idea threads

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Thinking back on my 20+ years as a serial entrepreneur, I think the one thing that helped me come up with success business ideas more than anything else was traveling to other countries or even other states or cities.

If you just stay in your town, you get to familiar with everything around you. Everything is the same all the time so you can't spot opportunity. It's much harder to get creative.

But when you travel, especially to other countries, you will see opportunity all around you. Putting your mind in a different environment also opens up the creative juices for ideas of things you can do back home.

After living in 4 countries and visiting 26 my brain constantly comes up with new business ideas. Now, I only focus on the opportunities which will produce the most money with the least amount of my time invested.

If you're in a rut and can't think of any good business ideas, get on a train, plane, bus or car to travel to a different location far away. Take a note book because your brain will suddenly be swarming with money making idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
If you're in a rut and can't think of any good business ideas, get on a train, plane, bus or car to travel to a different location far away. Take a note book because your brain will suddenly be swarming with money making idea.
I have experienced this firsthand by living in different parts of the United States. I've been in more than half the states and lived in 4. Each area has their own unique lesson to be learned. Even within the current city I live in, going to meetup groups in different areas of life have really opened my eyes up to new ways of living.

Do you start businesses in different countries based on what you learn there, or are they all usually based from your home country?

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Definitely my goal to travel. I plan on purchasing and then renting out a property in the next year and then begin travelling as I essentially would have an asset that is paying for itself (or near enough). I remember you have some fantastic advice on real estate, and as someone who has travelled, would you reccomend this? Hopefully by this time my small business would be profitable as well.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
So true. I have 3 main businesses. One came from visiting Pittsburgh. The other Myanmar. Finally one is a simply originated because of going to University for the first time.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
I have experienced this firsthand by living in different parts of the United States. I've been in more than half the states and lived in 4. Each area has their own unique lesson to be learned. Even within the current city I live in, going to meetup groups in different areas of life have really opened my eyes up to new ways of living.

Do you start businesses in different countries based on what you learn there, or are they all usually based from your home country?

Some of my business are in the US others are offshore. Sometimes a visit to one country reveals the opportunities in a different country.

Getting out of your comfort zone also helps you learn more about yourself and what you are capable of.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Definitely my goal to travel. I plan on purchasing and then renting out a property in the next year and then begin travelling as I essentially would have an asset that is paying for itself (or near enough). I remember you have some fantastic advice on real estate, and as someone who has travelled, would you reccomend this? Hopefully by this time my small business would be profitable as well.

Sure, cash flow real estate is a great way to fund your freedom overseas or anywhere. You need to be very careful to buy right so you have plenty of cushion for equity and for cash flow.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Real estate is picking up in foreign countries. I have one particular country in mind. People are buying/selling/renting homes, land, etc. all in US dollars, but there is not one website dedicated to searching for properties, etc. The country is a war-torn country that's starting to pick itself back up...

The opportunities are there.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
like my crazy cousin says - "your mind needs to see new pictures"

went to chicago last month, going to san francisco for the first time this month..

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Hey ;
Great post.

I was wondering,
What is your ''top'' 5 places to travel from all those countries you went ? and why ?
:)

Thinking back on my 20+ years as a serial entrepreneur, I think the one thing that helped me come up with success business ideas more than anything else was traveling to other countries or even other states or cities.

If you just stay in your town, you get to familiar with everything around you. Everything is the same all the time so you can't spot opportunity. It's much harder to get creative.

But when you travel, especially to other countries, you will see opportunity all around you. Putting your mind in a different environment also opens up the creative juices for ideas of things you can do back home.

After living in 4 countries and visiting 26 my brain constantly comes up with new business ideas. Now, I only focus on the opportunities which will produce the most money with the least amount of my time invested.

Anthony Mathapo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 12, 2015
South Africa

i couldn't agree with you more. traveling not only opens your mind to new ideas but it also breaks down any societal stereotypes embedded to us by mainstream society...

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Traveling is very educational. It's good to see places, things and people that are different from you.

It literally broadens your horizons, matures you a little bit, and yet lets you keep that child-like wonder at the same time.

Some of the best experiences of my life have been when I was off on some new adventure.

I love to explore. I have been to 12 different countries, and 30 U.S. states.

My goal is to visit all 50 states so I have 20 left to go! :)

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
People who never travel are like happy frogs in wells.

When they look up they see a blue sky and they think if they one day get out of the well the will be in the clouds and they fail to realise that there is whole world unknown to them.

a_frog_in_a_well—never_having_seen_the_wholeef7e8c47374cc6984d30.jpg

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
This is a dumb question (not really) but can you give me an example??
Like I went to XXX Country/City and noticed I can make a change by implementing XXX Idea!
I travel A LOT, mostly for pleasure. So I completely understand how it opens up your mind and what not, but I never really put my focus towards business while traveling, (Aside from the whole importing and/or exporting businesses. I don't really see that as one of my passions) I never really looked into it so much since traveling for me and seeing new and previously visited countries became second nature. Well, I remember one time I thought about business, because it was literally in my face like, Hello!! We need some help here! Which was the first time I went to Dubai in 08 and thought "Hey, these guys could use some more construction equipment" That ship has sailed... Emaar took care of that ;)
I really am curious about your answer.

P.S. I've been to over 30 different countries and 20 or more US states. Travel internationally around 5 times a year.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.