The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flex, Work at Home Jobs

finances5

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 20, 2010
Hello everyone,

Are there good, flex, work at home jobs? Particularly with the computer and internet?

This way I could continue other endeavors on the side and at the same time meet some short term needs?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I'm going to be frank with you. Working at home (as an Online Computer Tech / Salesman) isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I am currently an Online Computer Technician, and work from my house. While I don't have a commute, the additional stress and mind numbing effects of the job are not worth it (it's the management mentality of "well, you work from home, and don't have a commute, so you shouldn't mind being worked a lot harder"). The hours are all over the place, there are weekly performance reviews, and (since your work is all done through a system,) management will find whatever numbers they can bring down to increase your performance every week and force you to 'do better'. The process is extremely systematic/mechanical. I not only speak for my job, but for others I also know that work from home.

I make close to minimum wage, and the stress of my job goes up every week. When I'm working, I barely have time to work on my own Endeavours. If I don't constantly maintain or increase my performance numbers, I risk my job (which I don't mind once I move to Toronto and start job hunting for something less stressful.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm going to be frank with you. Working at home isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I am currently an Online Computer Technician, and work from my house. While I don't have a commute, the additional stress and mind numbing effects of the job are not worth it (it's the management mentality of "well, you work from home, and don't have a commute, so you shouldn't mind being worked a lot harder"). The hours are all over the place, there are weekly performance reviews, and (since your work is all done through a system,) management will find whatever numbers they can bring down to increase your performance every week and force you to 'do better'. The process is extremely systematic/mechanical. I not only speak for my job, but for others I also know that work from home.

I make close to minimum wage, and the stress of my job goes up every week. When I'm working, I barely have time to work on my own Endeavours. If I don't constantly maintain or increase my performance numbers, I risk my job (which I don't mind once I move to Toronto and start job hunting for something less stressful.

Ouch... my experience is exactly opposite of yours.

Maybe you're in the wrong line of work.

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
It probably depends on the type of in-home work. Are you also a Computer Technician, and for a major company?

Nope, because I value my time, and I like making money.

To the OP, I suggest looking into work from home jobs in sales if you're just starting out.

You can get started without much experience / education and you can make a lot of money once you get good. Plus you'll need sales skills for when you start growing Fastlane businesses.

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Nope, because I value my time, and I like making money.

My current job is also sales. Not only do I service technical issues for clients, but I also sell services to individuals and companies as well.

I get that you value your time and enjoy making money; we all do, and that's why we're here. However, I don't have my own fastlane business to a point yet, where I'm even making money (if that's what you meant by "Maybe you're in the wrong line of work." ).

As I've mentioned in another thread; any low stress job that puts a roof over your head will work, until profits from your own business justify leaving said job.

I suggest looking into work from home jobs in sales if you're just starting out.

I'm going to second this. I've gained a lot of Customer Service, and Sales experience over the past 4 years of my current job; this is something totally useful, and you will not regret the experience.

Last edited:

mkaul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Either way, one is right.

Work from home can be a difficult experience for someone. It can also be the most satisfying income earning stream for others. It depends on the choices we made initially. Once into it, it can sound hard to divert ourselves to better options but it is possible.

One of the things that I learnt is, new ideas come in our mind when we do well in currently what we are doing. If we are not currently doing well, that stresses so much that it could literally block our mind from thinking differently. I totally acknowledge @Aiden what you have been experiencing. I read a MJ quote today and it is so inspiring quite relevant to this discussion here and want to share with you all.

"Most people want to change their life but are not willing to change their choices and this ultimately changes nothing" ~ MJ

Cheers!

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Oh believe me, I'm changing my job, but not until I finish moving into Toronto; Have to follow the process to get results.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
As I've mentioned in another thread; any low stress job that puts a roof over your head will work, until profits from your own business justify leaving said job.
I barely have time to work on my own Endeavours
Doesnt sound like it works for you, so why are you giving advice on it? lol

[aidanmeme.jpg]

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Doesnt sound like it works for you, so why are you giving advice on it? lol

That's a bit of a loaded question.

I'm giving advice on it because my line of in-home work does not provide the 'freedom' that many assume it has (It's a common misconception that all in-home jobs provide more freedom). It isn't that my current job isn't working for just me; My line of work has an increasing turnover rate, and doesn't work out for a lot of people. I believe it's helpful to mention that this type of Home Job should be avoided. I've had a few people in the past ask me about my type of job, and were interested in it for the 'freedom'.

I can agree that my first sentence was a bit assumptuous with throwing all work-from-home jobs in the same basket. This definitely isn't the case, and I've modified that sentence to be more accurate.

Are there other, better, in-home jobs out there? There certainly is. Do I know anything about them? Nope. Am I open to ideas? Yes, totally; I'm checking out mysurvey.com right now. Thanks.

Last edited:

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Are there other, better, in-home jobs out there? There certainly is. Do I know anything about them? Nope. Am I open to ideas? Yes, totally; I'm checking out mysurvey.com right now. Thanks.

lol. Don't do surveys, that's for turks. He was just kidding (actually, he was trolling you hard)

Check out SinisterLex's freelancing thread. Following this guy's advice scored me some good jobs in sales and I barely speak F*cking English.
As for your Fastlane endeavours, these kinds of gigs will provide you with great experience. Any job does, actually. Even MJ started out driving limos before he was driven in limos.

So go out there and do something (not surveys) and you'll figure out the rest on the road. Or not, cause shit happens. Either way, glhf.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
lol. Don't do surveys, that's for turks. He was just kidding (actually, he was trolling you hard)
You obviously dont know what you're talking about. I never troll.

[emma.jpg]

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
You obviously dont know what you're talking about. I never troll.

[emma.jpg]

1IaXjmU.jpg

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
To the OP, I suggest looking into work from home jobs in sales if you're just starting out.

Could you give an example of a home job in sales or describe what's it like? Never heard of such thing.

Perhaps if you could develop a bot filling out surveys, it's not so bad!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
There's lots of em. Prove your value and you can make money doing contract type work from anywhere.

Copywriting seems to be the 'flavor of the month' here but MAN. Take it seriously, prove your value, get better, and you can make some serious cash. @SinisterLex created himself a $100/hr job within months. Most people go to a 4-year university to make 1/3 of that, sometimes less. You can do it too.

I started with content writing, moved into web design, outsourced that (lol), now... I'm not sure what I'll do. Probably copywriting. Web design made me a living for 2 years though. No job needed.

Some other in-demand things include app development, translation, graphic design... if you're just starting out, don't go into something where you will easily get priced out by Indians and Filipinos. Copywriting, translation, an (expert) content writing is a good place to start. But you have to be COMMITTED to getting better every day. COMMITTED to providing value every day. If you're not, this shit aint for you. Get a job.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Could you give an example of a home job in sales or describe what's it like? Never heard of such thing.

Perhaps if you could develop a bot filling out surveys, it's not so bad!

My primary income flows from copywriting, but I was specifically talking about outbound / face2face sales.

For instance, this company hires outbound sales people and offers flexible scheduling, huge earning opportunity, plus you work from home / independently. Last year they were the #1 top-rated sales employer on sellingpower.com and it's because they keep their sales force happy by offering pretty much unlimited potential.

Copywriting is great because it vastly improves your ability to sell online, but what happens when you have to pitch something in person? I earn what I do partially because I can write copy, but also because I'm really good at selling myself in live interviews.

If you learn both, then you're pretty much set for life. Then whether you succeed in the Fastlane or not, at least you'll never work a traditional job again, unless you just want to. But who the F*ck wants that?

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
he was trolling you hard

Successful troll for sure. I actually looked into it (didn't seriously go ahead with it though). Needless to say, it was a waste of time.

On a serious note: Can we please stop with the trolling, and memes. This forum has way too much of that going on lately; as funny as it can be at times, this isn't 4chan.

Last edited:

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Never knew how legit those at home sales jobs were that you saw on CL and stuff. I wouldn't mind building some skills to sell something, but don't want some sham company with crappy products. Only way to do sales is if you believe in what you are selling providing value. Any specific places to look or types of companies to go for? Have seen a ton of insurance junk, call centers, so forth.

mkaul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I place my ads in CL, so I can say for sure that not all is junk in such places. It can be hard though to differentiate the good from the time wasters but the only way to know is by checking out. Once you start to check out you will get better at identifying and very soon you will be able to discard the useless real quick. The rewards are great, be persistent. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.