The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is the Stock Market a Good Fastlane Road?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

• Total voters

rich_l

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina
Yes, basically there are firms that run educational courses, supply materials, and allow "paper" trade accounts while the students study and practice their methodologies. Usually involves experienced traders and risk managers if you trade well and make the cut they allow you trade their account at your individual limits with guidelines and supervision. You have to be careful where you look and who you follow, its like anything else - due diligence can save thousands. Also know that you will trade an enormous amount of time for the chance, time in chatrooms, making trades, studying, reading, working through the educational program at the same time you're in the account and trading. Basically to start you will be in a full time course while working a full time job.

Basically you'll trade the way the firm teaches, stay inside the account and trade limits, execute trades, on the firms clients' capital. The idea is the firm gets fresh capable traders tested and confirmed by the selection process, the trader gets to use other capital for trade execution. So the firm is polling talent from a wide audience and keeping the most promising, it also helps spread capital and diversify the trade executions in theory capturing more of the market dynamic.

Hope that helps, search around and you'll find firms will give you free info via a sales call to get you to pay the registration fees. Again remember these are sales calls, there's no guarantee they'll bring anyone on as a prop trader and the fees and registration costs won't be refunded. It is valuable as practice though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Not 100% relevant, but there''s a really good prop trading scene in the movie 'Limitless'

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
esp in 2008-2010
Everyone with a common sense and a clear view on the market made money in this period. Heck I made money from 2008 up to this very day. The wave is still growing. I just graduated high school at this point. Got access to some savings, decided to follow an interest of mine and invested in a lot of large cap companies.

That portfolio gave massive returns. Did I get any of that money from my own expertise? Heck no! The market has worked in my favor and that's why.

I literally invested on a bottom. THAT is a VERY rare thing to do and not something I would try doing.

As people say: the stock market, or any market is not fastlane, it is a long-term way to preserve wealth. The only one who experience fastlane in stock markets is the ones doing business in it. I.e. those who control a business in that market.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

rich_l

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina
exactly. the stock market is a rigged joke at this point. and always was.

Check out Carters' trades on bearish/bullish divergence, when large institutions need to come out - they need retail to come in, see Apple last year, FB for a short time as well, (same in reverse for bulls) when you see set-ups happen like that print them, study them, wait for them. Whatever you do don't watch MSNBC.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Check out Carters' trades on bearish/bullish divergence, when large institutions need to come out - they need retail to come in, see Apple last year, FB for a short time as well, (same in reverse for bulls) when you see set-ups happen like that print them, study them, wait for them. Whatever you do don't watch MSNBC.

rich I've already been down that road bro. the stock market is a complete waste of time unless you have 100k and up to throw around..and even then i bet you burn thru lots of money and make wall st fat and happy trading if you do get into it

i am telling you. its straight up rigged and rigged to eventually grind you down. the 1% or less of financially apt people who really study it and do well, i bet when you add in all the time you wasted on it, worrying about it, etc...would come to peanuts. the NSA, HFT, everything is geared towards helping this game continue to be rigged and front run without the majority even knowing it.

rich_l

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina
rich I've already been down that road bro. the stock market is a complete waste of time unless you have 100k and up to throw around..and even then i bet you burn thru lots of money and make wall st fat and happy trading if you do get into it

i am telling you. its straight up rigged and rigged to eventually grind you down. the 1% or less of financially apt people who really study it and do well, i bet when you add in all the time you wasted on it, worrying about it, etc...would come to peanuts. the NSA, HFT, everything is geared towards helping this game continue to be rigged and front run without the majority even knowing it.

when I was trading correctly, I spent 0 time worrying about it, it is actually quite boring. It is "rigged" just watch Kramers videos on youtube. Your advantage as a retail trader is moving in and out of a trade without a blip on the radar, and if you want my opinion never touch a stock and concentrate on futures. Close all your trades before the market closes and start each day fresh. There is no need to study the "market" and it is impossible to study and learn all of it. Find one commodity you understand, one trading method that makes sense to you, and execute it perfectly over and over again. While your waiting for good trade parameters start an online business. You are correct it takes a large capital investment to create a sustainable income I agree with the 100,000 estimate, but if you can build your account while doing something else in a couple of years you'll be able to. Worry comes from holding too long, trading to big for your account, making speculative bets, and all the other habits that undermine our best efforts and reinforce our bad behavior, the same mindset that makes the fastlane successful makes those few traders succesful. Either way, all the best and I appreciate your opinion, I'm not currently trading but will return eventually. Best.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
when I was trading correctly, I spent 0 time worrying about it, it is actually quite boring. It is "rigged" just watch Kramers videos on youtube. Your advantage as a retail trader is moving in and out of a trade without a blip on the radar, and if you want my opinion never touch a stock and concentrate on futures. Close all your trades before the market closes and start each day fresh. There is no need to study the "market" and it is impossible to study and learn all of it. Find one commodity you understand, one trading method that makes sense to you, and execute it perfectly over and over again. While your waiting for good trade parameters start an online business. You are correct it takes a large capital investment to create a sustainable income I agree with the 100,000 estimate, but if you can build your account while doing something else in a couple of years you'll be able to. Worry comes from holding too long, trading to big for your account, making speculative bets, and all the other habits that undermine our best efforts and reinforce our bad behavior, the same mindset that makes the fastlane successful makes those few traders succesful. Either way, all the best and I appreciate your opinion, I'm not currently trading but will return eventually. Best.

I'm telling you, you should avoid trading. it is not really fastlane unless you started the trading firm and employ a bunch of people and systems. It IS RIGGED and not a true market anymore as well. Straight up. If billionaire's can't figure it out why would you bother. The people IN the game WORK at Goldman with fat salaries and comps...of course they are on tv pumping the game. I can show you 50 links where proven fraud is going on and yet no one goes to JAIL. That is the market you want to compete in from your computer? LOL

its the same old song and dance enticing people to come on in , the water is warm

there hasn't been a fed interest rate hike in 15 years... frigging all new people being sucked into this machine and never even dealt with one day that the FED , BOE, ECB, etc..didn't print MONEY to keep this shit going. There is also more and more proof monthly coming out that is exactly why the cloud was created. to interlock everyone into the NSA/FED cabal grid. Not only are they front running reports before they come up, they can make a stock do anything like infinite short squeezes, or naked shorting to zero, let alone snooping on fortune 500 companies for patents, etc. that is the real reason, not to have drones go into your house LOL

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
I'm telling you, you should avoid trading. it is not really fastlane unless you started the trading firm and employ a bunch of people and systems. It IS RIGGED and not a true market anymore as well. Straight up. If billionaire's can't figure it out why would you bother. The people IN the game WORK at Goldman with fat salaries and comps...of course they are on tv pumping the game. I can show you 50 links where proven fraud is going on and yet no one goes to JAIL. That is the market you want to compete in from your computer? LOL

its the same old song and dance enticing people to come on in , the water is warm

there hasn't been a fed interest rate hike in 15 years... frigging all new people being sucked into this machine and never even dealt with one day that the FED , BOE, ECB, etc..didn't print MONEY to keep this shit going. There is also more and more proof monthly coming out that is exactly why the cloud was created. to interlock everyone into the NSA/FED cabal grid. Not only are they front running reports before they come up, they can make a stock do anything like infinite short squeezes, or naked shorting to zero, let alone snooping on fortune 500 companies for patents, etc. that is the real reason, not to have drones go into your house LOL

Most of what you said is nonsense.

Hft is irrelevant unless you try to compete with hft if i buy a stock at 50$ and plan to sell at 55$ do i really care that i could have bought it at 49.98 but i was front runned by someone ?

Fraud is everywhere not just wall street, im sure there is a little corner shop in ohio laundering cocaine money and falsify accounts.

If someone is insider trading on some report does it really affect me ? There are only 2 sides to the market, the right side and the wrong side. I dont care who rigs or manipulates what, if you are consistently on the right side youll make money.

If the game is rigged what if i am on the same side of the people rigging it ?

Nsa, fed cabal ? Drones ?

You sound like a bitter kid who gets picked last to be on the team in gym class, nobody is out to get you, you just suck.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014

Hft is irrelevant unless you try to compete with hft if i buy a stock at 50$ and plan to sell at 55$ do i really care that i could have bought it at 49.98 but i was front runned by someone ?

Fraud is everywhere not just wall street, im sure there is a little corner shop in ohio laundering cocaine money and falsify accounts.

If someone is insider trading on some report does it really affect me ? There are only 2 sides to the market, the right side and the wrong side. I dont care who rigs or manipulates what, if you are consistently on the right side youll make money.

You sound like a bitter kid who gets picked last to be on the team in gym class, nobody is out to get you, you just suck.

You sound like you approve of criminal racket. You are a problem. Create value not justify support for more parasitical systems that give you the illusion of winning. You are the loser then

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
"Treat the stock exchange like a cold shower (quick in, quick out)."
- A traditional Rothschild family maxim.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Well... Short answer is no

UNLESS

You have access to a lot of money.

There is such volatility in the scene that cannot be removed which makes it necessary to have cash to weather the risks.
And if it isn't YOUR CASH, then you have to be twice as rigourous, and people tend not to be (they throw their hands up, cry, hope, wish).

Look, I've been heavily involved in it for a while, and what I've picked up from all I've been exposed to is one unbendable fact; you cannot make snowballs in a hot climate.

The volatility required to make serious money, really melts all the gains, and traders and strategists go on for decades oblivious to it, making excuses, and rationalising away their losses.

To make serious money, you have to know that you can't AIM for that.
Reliable trading takes patience, and it is not worth it unless, you are very clear that making hail mary gains is not the plan.

All in all, the market is not exciting to me.
And that is because I know the reality of it, and all this flexing and jumping, is not the best road.

You already need success imo to be there, or you will just be the meat in the grinder.

Needs are identifiable in the market, but the response is NOT predictable
Entry barriers exist, and they are expensive (and to any people saying they leverage 10 k into a fortune, pffft, ego/denial)
Control, not unless you are extremely well versed (and no, that isn't something you will stumble over, in fact you won't)
Scale, yes it has scale
Time, yes it meets this requirement

So, no, its not a fastlane, unless you have the cash, and a sense of reality.
So no, it is not a fastlane for someone inexperienced with money looking to prove themselves.

Last edited:

rich_l

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina

The only thing that really matters to regular traders is being on the right side of the price movement. Value is created by liquidity, it's an auction; to buy someone has to sell, to sell someone has to buy. No buyers, no sellers, no value. People do all kinds of things everywhere, Yin and Yang if you will.

Seems to be much confusion in the separation of trading and investing. Hedge funds collect a lot of money and return 6 to 11% (or check out annualized returns vs. real returns - (you can have a + annualized return and less money then you started with, hmmmm accounting math?) but they also borrow against the account value in low interest JPY and buy in AUD maximizing their leverage and trade that borrowed cash in liquid products. To note: This money doesn't belong to the investors and 2014 was the first year that hedge funds had to disclose futures trading. The AUD/JPY pair is something to watch.

If you want to see trading done wrong watch
(Million Dollar Traders 3 videos in the series, The third is the best)

if you want to see trading done right watch
John Carter High Probability set ups.

I think the first series (Million Dollar Traders) is what some think when we talk trading, the wrong but popular belief.

Also; for laughs, explicative language warning.

Ohhh, the dilemma of the adult mind, reinforce our own data at all costs, think it helps to say it? Nope, being confronted by an error in our beliefs only causes us to dig in deeper. To read: "The Power of Persuasion: How we're bought and sold" Robert Levine, the final chapters are infinitely valuable. I found it for 3.60 (Got my copy for free, someone left it behind). Similar lessons in the Fastlane, challenge your belief system, stay persistent, and focus on the process not "making a lot of money."

Thanks to M&A, Nice avatar by the way.

Last edited:

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
Without reading pretty much any post here, let´s give a definite (educated) answer :
No.
Why? Because of the fundementals.
A return of a measaly 50% for a stock per year in the stock market is considered enormous.
In the fastlane business, it is ludicrous.

Returns for a business can be - 100, 200 , 500, or even 5000%!

And as was mentioned in the book:
You don´t have control over stocks - they can go down in half, because of some random war.
There is no barrier to entry either.

Last edited:

rich_l

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 28, 2015
North Carolina
We are still not talking trading. We're talking movie trading, news trading, slow lane buy and hold, we lose money because of us. I tell everyone that asks to never touch a stock, never. If you want to buy stocks then invest, the buy ins are huge while the majority of "stocks" move very little intraday. Trade liquid products. Trading is not trying to capture a "stock market" move of a "measly 50%" trading is capturing target profits based on the intelligent evaluation of the position.

Here is an example of a trade;
I enter a long trade on the dow mini at 17750 as it retraces to a pivot level, I set my stop at 20 points from my entry (17730) I set my target at the next resistance level 17810 so . . .

Stop 17730 = Minus 20 pts. /YM trades at 5.00 per point the risk is 100.00 (20 pts X 5.00)
Entry 17750 = The target entry price
Target 17810 = Plus 60 pts. again, the /YM trades at 5.00 per point so the reward is 300.00 (60 pts X 5.00)

Trade goes against me I don't lose "half the stock price because of a random war" I lose 100.00. If the trade goes with me I make 300.00.
If I trade 10 contracts then I risk 1000.00 for 3000.00. There is no "measaly 50% for a stock per year in the stock market is considered enormous" the trade works just as well if the stock market has a negative return on the year, in fact what the market does for the year doesn't matter at all. The trade works just as well to the downside. If you flip the trade into a short you would sell at a key resistance level and buy when it reaches your target support level. Again, overall annual yields don't matter at all, note the second video.

Looks like June Contracts gave up 267 points from the previous settlement, thats 1335.00 per contract for traders that trade what they see. Now, Monday it may go up - doesn't matter good traders are flat, Monday it could go down more - doesn't matter good traders are flat, Monday it could stay flat, matters because there will be no trades to make.

I find a lot of people have trouble understanding being short. How can I sell something I don't own? Easy - trade something liquid and don't hold indefinitely. Have a clear direction, entry, exit, and risk/reward ratio.

I've seen traders take a 5,000 dollar account to 87,000 (roughly) in 1 year. So you're still thinking investing, buy and hold, or whatever else it is your referring to above. What if you never touch a stock? Stocks can go (3) directions; up, down, or stay flat. What if you set your stop to only risk 10% of your trade value on any given trade and not hold for some indeterminate time? Then if a stock "went down by half because of some random war" you would lose 10% of your "stock" or what if you were short and the "stock went down by half because of some random war" you would make 100%. Your not trying to "time" the market, or evaluate a company based on their quarterlies, or any other system of speculation you shouldn't care because you can't see anything from any published information. You should care what your position is telling you right now - the last video "trade what you can see."

There is much more to trading than buying a stock and selling it in a year. You can open all sorts of positions and never trade a stock, "a random war" can make the market go down on a whole and if your short you win. Case in point, I was trading the day of the Boston bombing all the indicators suddenly pointed to the down side, I closed my long trades in profit, reversed my trades and stayed on the right side of the market. What's interesting is I don't watch the news when I'm trading. none. period. After I finished managing my account I walked out of my office and said "check the news, something just happened."

I apologize but this is not an "educated" answer, your comparing apples to oranges. O.K. I love to talk trading, hope the information helps someone to look deeper into what trading is and maybe shatter a myth of what we see on TV - Some guy sitting in a room full of computers yelling SELL! SELL! SELL! BUY! BUY! BUY! Buy and hold is a myth, so is timing the market, so are a lot of things. Investments are good to diversify money you already have but not a Fastlane strategy, "be exceptional when there is no barrier to entry" and its easy to be exceptional when most traders don't understand the few common principles to success. Someone said "90%" of traders fail - that's a good thing, 90% of the people entering the market are going to give a disciplined/practiced trader their money. Your in competition with the 10% for a piece of the 90%.

Trading as a business with disciplined education can be very lucrative and rewarding. This will be my last post on this board, Its a little distracting and I have some other work to do, all the best and respect for everyone's opinion - see you all on other boards- luck.

Last edited:

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
I recall reading a post by MJ saying that it is not fastlane the way people traditionally do it as it invest in mutual funds, maxing 401k's and buy and hold.

Thousands of businesses fail every year because they don't fill any profitable needs and don't grow exponentially. They daydream about getting X sales in X time and selling by X multiple.

Thousands of traders fail every year because they think they can look at a few charts and candles, risk 2% and think they are going to be rich within a year. They daydream about X returns per month for X time leads to $XM.

Its all about progression in my eyes
, if you have a business that has been making 1000-2000$ a month for the past year, I guarantee it is a dud and it is not going to change your life. If you have a trading account with $5000 growing 2% a month it won't change your life.
If you are fat and lose 100 grams a month, its not going to change your life.

Great companies usually take off quickly. Similarly a great trader will take off right out of the gate, all the market wizards took off quickly once the hit their stride.

Look at your bank account if it has not been growing by leaps and bounds your not in the fastlane, lets be honest you are just self employed.

IMO fastlane is about exponential growth in wealth no matter what field its in. I just don't like when people knock my craft.

Last edited:

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Mj flat out says in the book it isn't fastlane unless you start with a ton of money

Which is the point of cashing in an asset like a business

and he is right...and people are constantly LURED by the FAKE Dream of easy money and BIG MONEY. the real insiders will continue to sell this fake illusion of a market for all time, while constantly taking these people's money and harvesting it over and over and over again.

this crap about traders provide liquidity...a COMPLETE FRAUD.

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence

Bingo. Give this man a metal. This is EXACTLY how you win at a game that is rigged. You learn to be on the same side of the market as the market manipulators, and you scavenge off of those who are less informed about the market, than you: retail traders. I earn a living doing this day in and day out.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Creating a business is ultimately the most "fastlane" due to scalability.

The 2nd best approach IMO is Real Estate... IF you know what you're doing go for deals that produce cashflow. I don't have a "fastlane business" right now, but I make enough money on roughly 1-2 hours per month of management to fund all of my survival necessities. A deal I have in the works right now will provide me with all of my regular living expenses so I don't have to work if I chose not to (this also isn't taking into account the equity buildup, which almost matches the cashflow) and this all happened with roughly 2 years of work (could have been less) and starting at under 10k in cash.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You learn to be on the same side of the market as the market manipulators, and you scavenge off of those who are less informed about the market, than you: retail traders. I earn a living doing this day in and day out.

And you get on that side HOW?

TennisOrDie

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 13, 2014
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with most of the people here. Just because you failed at trading doesn't mean it's rigged. Trading is a mental game with yourself above all. Your deepest emotions will be tested when you watch money evaporate before your eyes or you see more $$$ then you know what to do with.

Trading is fastlane because it's always scalable. To scale simply add more money to your account.

In trading you either know what you're doing and you're making an absolute killing or you don't really know what you're doing and you're losing money.

James Ryan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 29, 2015
Switzerland
Personally I don't consider the stock market in any way that contains the word 'fastlane'. The public stock market (secondary market) to me it looks like the scavengers that come after the lion killed of the zebra. The big investors already bought everything, the company raised the funds they needed and now the little investors fight and sweat over micro changes to make (most of the time) micro profits or potentially big losses.

Of course it's just my opionion but the stock market cannot even compete with the level of control, power, responsibility and most importantly, returns that you will have when managing your own business. In the stock market you're a follower, reacting to what the big guys are doing. In business you ARE the big guy.

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Fantastic! Well written...
Proven your analysis with facts too

Maybe I can offer you a bit of insight since I have made a small nest egg from trading which I am using half to finance to a business venture.

It is definitely possible to make a lot of money trading but it requires a massive amount of talent, long hours, gruelling work and a bit of luck.

Ive also had an obsession with trading, watched all the wall street themed movies read about 20 books took advice from other traders but all that meant nothing. I only started learning when I dove in and started trading and losing/making money.

I realised a bunch of things:

Find out what your good at fast - I trade currencies (majors), metals, oil/gas and equities because I feel I have a natural ability for trading them. I don't touch bonds, options, bitcoins, binaries, ETF products and exotic currencies. Most of the people who have made big money in this business (which I will mention at the end of this post) stuck to a small group of asset classes.

Always have a large upside little downside - If I am willing to lose $1,000 I should be profiting $2,000+
Example I buy 500 Shares of ZAGG @ $9 I get out a 7$ at $1,000 loss but I will only take profits at $13+, obviously you have to analyse the volatility of the stock you don't want to get stopped out and find out you are right later on.

Don't let the past haunt you - I shorted €200,000 @ 1.35 and it has went as low as 1.04, about €60,000 profit could have been had but I took a small profit of €4,000. You just have to treat each trade as a singular event in your career with no future consequence. Getting emotional about money is the reason most people lose $1,000 and give up.

Bet big when you are sure you are right - VERY FEW TRADER FOLLOWS THIS RULE BUT IN MY OPINION BUT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL EVER MAKE TRADING FASTLANE OR ATLEAST MAKE YOU FASTLANE MONEY. YOU HAVE TO TAKE LARGE CALCULATED RISKS.

If you think the road to riches in trading lies in "low volatility, minimal drawdown, risk adjusted returns" you are wrong my friend leave that to large funds trying to please investors.

You are a lone wolf eating what you kill and you can't live on 20% a year. Stanley Druckenmiller said it best " you will make 95% of your money on 5% of your bets" so you might as well bet big on those 5% you think will pay off. Look at John Paulson a large part of his 11 figure net worth was derived in 2 single years 2010 and 2007 if I am not mistake $5b and $4b. From gold and housing bets respectively. And he has been in the business 20+ years.

When your wrong your wrong - Admit when you are wrong, don't throw good money at a bad trade, cut your losses quickly enough before it stings. Bad trades on your portfolio affect your objectivity and judgement.

This is a game of risk and odds - At the end of the day its all about analysing the odds, risk management and emotional management. There isn't much else to it, whether you trade fundamentals, technicals or both it is still about odds and risk.

BEWARE OF HIDDEN RISK BECAUSE IT WILL RUIN YOU - Always account for hidden risk, just because something stays within a certain range and is in an uptrend doesn't mean it won't drop 40% the next 2 minutes. Just look at the EUR/CHF chart. It dropped something like 30% in 5 minutes imagine being 10x leveraged on the wrong side - which isn't unheard of in even institutional traders.

Put your a$$ on the line - Conventional wisdom will tell you don't risk what you are not willing to lose, that is BS. Imagine playing a game where there is no prize, imagine if average NBA salaries were $50,000 would kids bust their a$$ every day training trying to get drafted for $25,000 ? You have to go ALL IN as they say, I remember reading a thread about that concept on this forum.

When I started I put 95% of my money in my trading account and that made me pay attention to every detail and work meticulously 12 hours a day. I would not have done that if I was playing with a couple 100 dollars that didn't mean much.

Here are some examples of guys (non hedge funders) who have parlayed small sums of money into fortunes:

Dan Zanger - Turned an initial stake of $11,000 into $42,000,000 in 2 years - 381,818% - Equities

Michael Marcus - $30,000 prop trading account to $80,000,000 under 20 years - 266,666% - Commodities

Richard Dennis - $400 to $200,000,000 in about 10 years - 50,000,000% - Commodities

Jesse Livermore - 1000$ to $100,000,000 - 10,000,000% timeline unknown - Equities

Marty Schwartz - $100,000 to $5,000,000 annual income - 25% per month for years on end. Resets account every year. - SP500 Contracts only

CIS (Japanese Day Trader) $10,000 to $160,000,000 - 1,600,000% - Equities

Takashi Kotegawa - $13,600 - $153,000,000 in 8 years - 1,125,000% - Equities

Rakesh Jhunjhunwala - $250 to $1,900,000,000 in 29 years - 760,000,000% - Equities

Don't let anyone else dissuade you, if you think you are more likely make big money trading than building a business try it, unlike starting a business you will find out quickly if you have what it takes.

90% of new businesses fail within 3 years because they don't follow the CENTS principles outlined in MJ's book, if you follow those principles in businesses your odds of success dramatically improve.

In trading 90% of people lose 90% of their money in 90 days, I know that is a much tougher reality to deal with but if you create you own trading system/philosophy following a set of basic rules in addition to your own rules you drastically improve your odds of making it big. Good Luck, I Hope You Start Trading By Monday, No Point Pondering Wondering What If.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Lets give examples....

Let's don't.

Listen man, this is starting to get old.

THIS IS AN ENTREPRENEUR FORUM.

99% of us aren't interested in using stocks for wealth, unless it's stock in our own company.

This isn't the appropriate forum for what you are indirectly trying to promote. There are better forums for it.

Please stop.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so you are saying not to discuss stocks anymore

You've started multiple threads. None of them are being discussed and no one responds. I'm saying the community DOES NOT want to discuss stocks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.