The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Simple Idea - Stephen Key

Idea threads

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Stephen,
I just watched your "fear" video. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Hi Ted,

Thank you for watching!
Sure. It really made a great impression on me.

I've scheduled an intro meeting with Andrew for this Thursday. I'm very excited about getting started working with you.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I just want to say how much I love this place :)

@StephenKey ty for your book and your contributions on this board :)

I have an idea that I am currently working on. (a very simple but yet very complicated multiproduct/multiuse multi industry idea) I got your book a few weeks ago from the library and I started reading it, I was getting very excited while reading an found I could not continue :)

I have gathered from this thread that there are very important things still within this book that I need to know so I am going to finish it tonight and try to get a copy of your second book on the way as well.

I have quite a few questions but I will reserve them for after I have finished the book, as the ones I have now will likely be answered and I will probably have different ones instead ;)

without even going back to your book I am in love with this sell sheet idea :D cant believe I haven't heard about that before!

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
@StephenKey in your awesome book you state:

"At the very least, you must find the answers to these six critical questions:

1. Who are my competitors? Identify both the major players and the smaller players."

Do you or any others have any advice on how to effectively identify the mid level players? I am struggling with this. Thanks for the awesome book and your participation in this forum.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Do you or any others have any advice on how to effectively identify the mid level players?
Look for competitors/similar products at major retailers (Target, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.) where you'd expect to see your product. Look at all the brands and companies in that category, and go to their websites.

You'll be able to identify the size of the players pretty quickly.

That's what I am finding, as I work on my first product.

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
Hello Stephen!

I just stumbled onto your thread while reading through the another one by 'Vigilante'.

Have read your entire thread and I really appreciate you answering questions here that are not in your book. Its helped me immensely.

The reason I'm posting is: while reading your thread another idea shot into my head..!
Its similar to your 'Michael Jordan Wall Ball' idea ~ I know you didn't bother with a PP.

Can I ask if you used any form of protection? IE: A form like 'AGREEMENT TO REVIEW IDEA'

The idea i have is SIMPLE ~ its basically a designed piece of plastic that i can make at home for a sell sheet, however this 'piece of plastic' sold in conjunction with one of their products, i believe could sky rocket profits for this particular item they sell.

The company is HUGE they are based in France, and the good thing is they WELCOME innovation/ideas submissions at their site!

I've had a quick look online in China for manufactures for this 'piece of plastic' cost would be around 50 cents depending on volume.

My 'piece of plastic' is NOT really patentable ~ what I have is really a way that this company can make a lot more sales.

My question is just about protecting the idea, I'm going to email this company and ask if they would sign a 'AGREEMENT TO REVIEW IDEA' form, I'll keep you all posted...

Stephen, I'd appreciate if you could answer the above, thanks.

Incidentally a couple of years ago I read 'One Simple Idea' that I borrowed from the library ~ in fact I've bought it and just started-reading it.

BTW, MARVELOUS video in post # 210 THANKS!:hurray:

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
@StephenKey in your awesome book you state:

"At the very least, you must find the answers to these six critical questions:

1. Who are my competitors? Identify both the major players and the smaller players."

Do you or any others have any advice on how to effectively identify the mid level players? I am struggling with this. Thanks for the awesome book and your participation in this forum.

@TedM is on the money. Identify as many similar products as you can, and find out who makes them. Big box retailers are a great start; you can do more research online as well.

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
Hello Stephen!

I just stumbled onto your thread while reading through the another one by 'Vigilante'.

Have read your entire thread and I really appreciate you answering questions here that are not in your book. Its helped me immensely.

The reason I'm posting is: while reading your thread another idea shot into my head..!
Its similar to your 'Michael Jordan Wall Ball' idea ~ I know you didn't bother with a PP.

Can I ask if you used any form of protection? IE: A form like 'AGREEMENT TO REVIEW IDEA'

Thank you for the kind words! No, I did not use any form of protection, because that idea was for the novelty gift industry. There is so much turnover in the novelty industry that protection isn't needed — makers are constantly on the prowl for new ideas. It's somewhat unique in that way.

Let us know how it goes.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Stephen,
I actually had my first phone chat with Andrew from your team the other day, and will probably sign up to InventRight here in the next couple of days. My quick question to you for now would be - how would the status of an established company's split equity affect licensing? Typically I know most of your students perhaps don't even have a company with existing sales, or they are a "lone wolf" type of operation at the time they contact licensees.

But what about companies that launch their product, and perhaps even have equity in it spread out to investors - what role does shared equity (through stocks or private investments) play when it comes to securing licensing deals from licensees later on? Does it affect your chances negatively?

Thanks

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@StephenKey !!!

So great you're here.
I have your book. Read it and following it for a product I have.
1st 3d prototype was printed. Design changes made. 2nd print due soon.

AND...I stumbled upon another product and will follow the same process.

No questions....just THANKS ! :notworthy:

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
[QUOTE="StephenKey, post: 404335, member: 1735"

Thank you for the kind words! No, I did not use any form of protection, because that idea was for the novelty gift industry. There is so much turnover in the novelty industry that protection isn't needed — makers are constantly on the prowl for new ideas. It's somewhat unique in that way.

Let us know how it goes.
][/QUOTE]

Hello Stephen, thanks for your reply.

What I did as protection goes is simply 'a poor mans copyright' this IS legal in the UK, according to the UK governments website, however I'm submitting to a company that is based in France and sells WORLDWIDE.

Anyway, a hand drawing and plastic prototype, the 'a poors mans copyright all took me a couple of days to complete.

I submitted at the company's website, got a reply after 3 weeks, thanking me for the idea, BUT ...they say they are selling something similar in China, I requested a link for the product in China, they supplied it, however I could NOT find the item?

I have show them proof (Amazon) how this product would sell on its own or with the good selling product they already have.

I've left it at that, because at the end of the day what more can I do?

Like you say in your book: 'You Have To Have A LOT Of Lines in The Water' to be successful at this game, Ah...just as well I'm a MEGA Keen Fisherman then!

So its back to the drawing board {shops etc} to think up new ideas/inventions!

I'll be... BACK here to report!

Last edited:

Semmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2014
Canary Islands, Spain
@StephenKey can you tell what the "Getting In!" ebook is all about at http://www.inventright.com/getting-in
is that an excerpt from your main book - so if I have that should I still buy and get the ebook?

edit: 1st February 2015: I just bought that ebook today, will add my thoughts here later.

edit: 3rd Febraury 2015: So this helpful ebook is like a mini-coaching for under $20 - it is your handbook how to get your first calls going to companies and introducing yourself the right way. Very helpful and another step toward getting live coaching if you want. With this you have no excuse not getting started - even if you do not have an idea yet!

Bonus: For all who have not listend to their 80 minutes extra sample class:
http://www.inventright.com/32-most-common-problems-sample-class

Last edited:

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
Hi @Semmy,

I'm glad you enjoyed Getting In! Sorry I wasn't here earlier to give you a better description. Basically, we wrote that guide for those who are struggling with making contact with potential licensees — like how to identify the right person to submit your idea to, how to get someone to call you back, how to make the most of other ways of getting in, like attending a trade show. It's very how-to and specific. This is the step people struggle with the most, so we thought a guide would be useful.

Hope that helps, for anyone else who may be interested.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@StephenKey nice to have you back in the house for a bit! Your book continues to change lives, and we continue to recommend it. Hope you are well.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Hi Stephen, great book! I'm really obsessed by this business model as a result. I am constantly been creative with ideas that always end up on the shelves eventually. Now it's time for me to beat them to it and get credit.

A few questions:

• when you send your sell sheet to the company. Are you supposed to send your NDA also? I feel like this is an extra step for the recipient and will more likely repel the person. Or do you get them to sign it after? (Please inform me in which order you go about the NDA process)

• do companies listen to your marketing ideas? I have an idea that might already be patented but it's marketed completely different.

• can you patent protein supplements? Is it the ingredients combination? How about clothes?

• if I wanted to find a mentor but didn't have the money to pay for your program. Is there anybody out there who has experience with licensing that I can make a deal with? For example, I have a great idea but would like to 50/50 with someone with experience. Is there any websites/ someone that do this? (Does that make me a product scout?)

Thanks in advance !

P.s. I just bought your other book on making the product since I have been working on a product for half a year. Would love to license it and skip a lot of the hard work but there is only 1/2 companies that I don't think they would be interested since they make their products from their garage.

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
HI! Great questions.

1. No, don't send an NDA right away — you have the right idea. A better time to ask the company to sign an NDA is after you have communicated with them, they have seen your sell sheet, they are interested, and they are asking you for more info.

2. In general, no.

3. Good question. Neither are as easy to license as others, but nothing is impossible. I'm going to be writing some upcoming blogs about notoriously difficult arenas to license in — I'll come back later and post. There's a lot of nuance — and no hard and fast rules!

4. I wish I had someone to recommend you! Product scouts are few and far between. Good luck!

Yes — it's hard to license, almost impossible, when there are only one or two companies working in the product category. They don't have any incentive to innovate!

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Good luck!

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Thanks a lot Stephen

I guess my ideas is still worth a phone call and perhaps a PPA, I will regret it if i don't try, perhaps I could discuss with you privately? (Thought I would ask!)

It's kinda freaky that as I am listening to your Audio book on my smart phone and then to see a notifIcation that you replied to me on this forum.

I'm also reading ' patent it in 24 hours'

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
Hello Stephen,

I'm half-way through your book, it's awesome.

I have a question about licensing and I'd like to know your opinion and if any of the fellow fastlaners want to say something you'll be welcome.

I find fascinating the idea you present about being able to "invent" a toy, then going to a company and if they like it they sell it and you get paid.

What about videogames?

Let's say I have an idea of a fun game, I don't develop the characters just the gameplay as if I were making a toy prototype.

Then I contact Disney, Warner and so on and present the prototype.

Let's imagine that Disney likes it and they want to launch the game featuring X characters from Y movie.

We sign a contract where I can make use of their IP and they can make use of mine.

I "re-skin" the game, add more features, bla bla bla, finish the game, we launch it and we all make a ton of money, people have fun and so on.

As I see it, is win-win:

-They don't have to invest a dime
-It's a digital product with no manufacturing costs
-No logistics, no stocks and no infrastructure
-The work is almost already done
-The market will let you know if they like the product or not instantly
-If people don't like it you just take it out of the market or modify it until succeed
-The only risk involved is time

On paper looks great but I'd like to know what do you think about it.

Thanks in advance.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@StephenKey, I just finished "One Simple Idea: for Start-ups and Entrepreneurs" Great book! Thank you for writing it. This is definitely one of those books that I will be be marking up and highlighting as I go along. ha

It was nice to see an entrepreneur lay out their progress and give so much helpful information. Sara Blakely is generous like that too. As is @MJ DeMarco ;) .....and many others on this forum.

P.S. Gracias @Vigilante for recommending it to me

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks for reading! So glad to hear that it was useful to you. Stay tuned for a second revised and updated edition in the works...

@StephenKey, I just finished "One Simple Idea: for Start-ups and Entrepreneurs" Great book! Thank you for writing it. This is definitely one of those books that I will be be marking up and highlighting as I go along. ha

It was nice to see an entrepreneur lay out their progress and give so much helpful information. Sara Blakely is generous like that too. As is @MJ DeMarco ;) .....and many others on this forum.

P.S. Gracias @Vigilante for recommending it to me

YoungGun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 2, 2015
@StephenKey , I have an app idea that is specific to one company. It is not a product, but a service that could be considered as a marketing technique. As well as, providing better customer service and getting people involved in the companies community. I really do believe that this idea will help them rise above their competitors. Can I still protect this idea? Or should I have to make and sell the app?
I enjoyed your book by the way!

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
@StephenKey , I have an app idea that is specific to one company. It is not a product, but a service that could be considered as a marketing technique. As well as, providing better customer service and getting people involved in the companies community. I really do believe that this idea will help them rise above their competitors. Can I still protect this idea? Or should I have to make and sell the app?
I enjoyed your book by the way!

Your idea sounds like it could be protected via a software patent. Obtaining those is not the easiest thing to do right now, because the field is very crowded, but it can be done. I would investigate further, possibly by starting to search for prior art first. Thanks for reading!

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Stephen's a really good guy. He genuinely gets a kick out of bringing new stuff out and helping people to do it.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
@StephenKey

I want to truly thank you for the amazing work you have done with your books, with invent right and your many youtube videos. I have been searching for a while jumping from idea to idea for a business to focus on and I believe whole-heartedly I have found it in invention and licensing.

I would say I have a fair idea of the trials and efforts required going forward but also would like to ask a question:

In your experience what skills would be the most desirable to learn to succeed in this?

Example, sketching, graphic design, sales, etc. Currently, I am considering learning sketching. I also know full well how difficult this will be going from skill level Zero to a sufficient skill level to make it.

I have considered outsourcing this to freelancers, but I think that it might be necessary to have a base level that freelancers can then improve upon. At least... enough to get my idea across clear enough in a sketched format.

It would make the process of bringing ideas to life much quicker I think, even if what I sketch wouldn't be what is on the sell sheet.

Do you think it is worth learning to sketch?
Or would going directly to CAD be more valuable?

Last edited:

StephenKey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Nov 13, 2008
You're welcome! That's an interesting question. In the past, I've recommended joining a startup for those who want to learn about product development. That's how I learned a lot, fast, when I was just getting started. If sketching appeals to you, you'll certainly be able to make use of that. These days so much work can be outsourced affordably; really, go with what you want to learn. CAD is great, but you really need to have an understanding of manufacturing for it to be worthwhile. Being able to sketch your ideas would be powerful! Thanks for tuning in.

@StephenKey

I want to truly thank you for the amazing work you have done with your books, with invent right and your many youtube videos. I have been searching for a while jumping from idea to idea for a business to focus on and I believe whole-heartedly I have found it in invention and licensing.

I would say I have a fair idea of the trials and efforts required going forward but also would like to ask a question:

In your experience what skills would be the most desirable to learn to succeed in this?

Example, sketching, graphic design, sales, etc. Currently, I am considering learning sketching. I also know full well how difficult this will be going from skill level Zero to a sufficient skill level to make it.

I have considered outsourcing this to freelancers, but I think that it might be necessary to have a base level that freelancers can then improve upon. At least... enough to get my idea across clear enough in a sketched format.

It would make the process of bringing ideas to life much quicker I think, even if what I sketch wouldn't be what is on the sell sheet.

Do you think it is worth learning to sketch?
Or would going directly to CAD be more valuable?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.