The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going from the sidewalk mindset to the fastlane mindset

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Greetings all,

I thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself to the fast lane community and talk a bit about my journey from the sidewalk mindset to the fast lane mindset. I am 25 years old and originally from Barbados; however after the opportunity presented itself in 2010, I decided to trade the Caribbean beach life for the snow and study in Canada and I am currently in my final year of college.

Back in 2012 I landed my first internship at a large IT company and even though I would only have the job for 4 months, I felt like "I had made it in life" and that I should treat myself as a result of becoming one of few students to acquire this position. Thus started my spending problem....I embarked on a period of excessive consumerism where I would buy anything I wanted regardless of the price. Large TV, expensive laptops, clothes, and even a safe (oh the irony since I didn't store anything valuable in it). When I couldn't use my debit card to make a purchase out came my credit card, and when I reached my credit limit my bailout came from Mom and Dad. This process of 4 month jobs, school, consumerism, and bailout lasted about 2 years until I eventually realized the financial burden I was placing on my parents and what my future would look like; and that's when my mindset changed...

2014 was my final internship and I had received my dream job working in the IT department of a software company for 8 months; this time I was determined to make the most out of it. While it was hard initially, I made the commitment to save as much as my paycheck as possible; I brought cheap lunches to work, would grocery shop only on days they would have student discounts and made up excuses to not go out with friends during the weekend. My cost cutting methods and the long hours of IT work eventually took its toll and killed my love of my dream job. I hated showing up to work, listening to office politics, and being worked to death my a supervisor who didn't even go to college.

After the internship I returned back to college without any motivation and determination to finish my degree. I then proceeded to drop all except 1 course in an attempt to focus on finding a better way to live my life. Eventually I started watching the shows called Dragons Den & Shark Tank because I wanted the success of these individuals. I started looking online for books about business until I eventually came across The Millionaire Fastlane . Based on the title of the book alone I bought it without reading any of the reviews (because hey who doesn't want to become a millionaire fast!); little did I know how much of an impact this book would have on my future and would cause me to question many aspects of life.

Now I am determined to start a business and reach a level of success only limited by my imagination. I am grateful a forum like this exists to be able to read about the passion, success and advice of members from the community and to also contribute to others as well about the lessons I will learn throughout this process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SSimz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 21, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the encouragement Joanne Wong

Please SEARCH before posting.