The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can you focus on only one topic

Anything related to matters of the mind

GoodGuyGG

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
May 1, 2013
Hello fastlaners, I have a problem. The thing is that I dont know how to focus on only one topic.
So on the first week I thought of coding an app (with html/css/javascript and phonegap) now on the next week affiliate marketing and copywriting seems solid for me. THe problem is I get great Ideas for solving other people problems / adding value to a product but then on the next week a "maybe" better idea pops up.

So In the end I only do like learning coding 2 weeks then switching to copywriting and so on.
I need more discipline. How to achieve that?? So that you only focus on one road and not on multiple roads?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

zoborg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 20, 2013
The fact you are accepting its a problem is surely the key to the solution?

Like everything else its learnt - make your mind up that you WILL concentrate on one thing. For example

1) Analyse what is going to most help you achieve your goals in the next 2 weeks.
2) Make a commitment to yourself you will do that and do that only for the next 2 weeks.
3) ONLY do that for the 2 weeks
4) When the 2 weeks are up - analyse how successful you were, how you feel and start the process again.

Trick is to give 100% of your attention for a fixed period of time, your always going to doubt yourself when starting something new, but sometimes you need the momentum and consistency to break the "pain barrier".

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

ForgottenUser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 20, 2015
Federal Way, Washington
Try hedging.

Sit down and start your project. If you notice yourself getting sidetracked, stop whatever you are doing, and do a few push-ups or squats - just enough to make it uncomfortable. When you're done, resume work on your project.

This method is really effective for two reasons: First, it makes you associate discomfort with getting sidetracked, and then the subsequent endorphin rush with whatever you're focused on. This is a form of Classical Conditioning. Secondly, you turn your distraction into a net positive by getting a little more fit every time you mess up.

Also -- order yourself a copy of MJ's book if you haven't already. You need to be providing value to get anything to happen. Affiliate marketing and half-baked creations aren't providing anyone value. Focus on one thing and finish it. You'll learn more from the experience even if it fails.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego

Gaudeamus

Three yards and a cloud of dust
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Mar 21, 2015
Japan
Sit down and start your project. If you notice yourself getting sidetracked, stop whatever you are doing, and do a few push-ups or squats - just enough to make it uncomfortable. When you're done, resume work on your project.

This method is really effective for two reasons: First, it makes you associate discomfort with getting sidetracked, and then the subsequent endorphin rush with whatever you're focused on. This is a form of Classical Conditioning. Secondly, you turn your distraction into a net positive by getting a little more fit every time you mess up.

@ForgottenUser, this is a cool method.:rockon: It's simple, easy to implement, and effective. Where did you find it?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Great suggestions. As far as apps goes I've been using Momentum for well over a year now and love it as I can put my main focus in and have it remind me exactly what I should be doing each time I open a new tab. It's also a gorgeous design and has a handy ToDo list and other useful features.

http://momentumdash.com

Mark Bucks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 4, 2015
Hello fastlaners, I have a problem. The thing is that I dont know how to focus on only one topic.
So on the first week I thought of coding an app (with html/css/javascript and phonegap) now on the next week affiliate marketing and copywriting seems solid for me. THe problem is I get great Ideas for solving other people problems / adding value to a product but then on the next week a "maybe" better idea pops up.

So In the end I only do like learning coding 2 weeks then switching to copywriting and so on.
I need more discipline. How to achieve that?? So that you only focus on one road and not on multiple roads?

I guess the problem is you don't know yet which is much more important to you. That's why you are always switching from one to other without completing one.

In the choices presented by you, it is clear that creating an app is fastlane and while affiliate marketing or copywriting is slowlane. I advise to focus your effort on creating products. Always remember to follow CENTS commandments then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Are you certain this is a problem, or is there a way you can use it?

What if instead of trying to solve the problem you try learning more about yourself and why you lose focus? Maybe you're not actually losing focus at all, but learning to recognize better opportunities. If you're like me, your focus comes and goes. If so, then you can recognize that anytime you start a new project you have a certain amount of time before you lose focus/interest. With that knowledge, you can take massive action toward individual projects and learn as much as you can before losing interest.

For me, focus comes in waves. Waves come in, waves go out, then they come back in again. So, anytime I start a project I try to accomplish a lot in a short time, and learn as much as I can. Then when I lose focus it's no big deal, because I know the focus will return in a month or two. This helps me learn a lot about different entrepreneurial pursuits, and now I've learned to combine them for more powerful results.

For instance, since joining this forum I've learned:
• How to make interactive children's books
• How to write & publish short stories
• How to use Wordpress & basic HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP
• How to import stuff for resale on Ebay / Amazon
• How to hire freelancers & what makes a good freelancer
• How to write copy that sells
• How to run adword & Facebook ad campaigns
• How to make & sell courses on Udemy
• How to record quality audiobooks

How is learning all of this stuff useful?

Well, I have short stories, children's books, a Udemy course & a Wordpress site generating around $200 of completely passive income every month. I don't do anything to keep up with them & haven't looked at them in months. I'm making upwards of $100 an hour as a freelancer writing copy for big companies who ask me to write Adword & Facebook Ads, and I always get the job because I learned sales skills that set me apart from others.

In short, I have the power to generate income anytime I want, and now that I've re-built capital for another Fastlane attempt, I'm ready to move into a niche market where I can utilize all of the above to fund my efforts without being bound to a 40 hour work week.

I'm not saying you should never keep your focus, but I wouldn't stress over losing focus when you're just starting out. You've got a lot to learn no matter how you approach it, so try several methods and use whichever one gets you the best results. Whatever you choose, the best path is the one that allows you to move forward, even if it means taking 2 steps back first.

Last edited:

ForgottenUser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 20, 2015
Federal Way, Washington
@ForgottenUser, this is a cool method.:rockon: It's simple, easy to implement, and effective. Where did you find it?

I started doing this a few months ago because it simply worked. It made perfect sense - martial art dojos, gyms, and sporting teams have been using the same technique for longer than I've been alive - albeit only for athletic focus. You can use the same principles just as easily for homework, chores, business, or whatever else you need.

About the same time I started doing this, I found an answer to a question on Quora than named the technique as hedging. Quora has a lot of good information if you know where to look and can control yourself, otherwise it can become a monumental time-suck.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
TL;DR Urgency helps with focus very much, and training to be focused also works.

So on the first week I thought of coding an app (with html/css/javascript and phonegap) now on the next week affiliate marketing and copywriting seems solid for me.

Programming is a career choice. You gotta love it to really become good. But even those who love it, hate it from time to time, because it can be hard. And you gotta keep learning always to stay on top of things.

Not talking you out of it though. There are people making money with all of the things you mentioned, so it's up to you.

Here is what worked for me...

To anyone struggling with focus, one possible cause could be that your fridge or your pockets are not empty enough.

While I lived good, it was really difficult to focus...

So many opportunities to look into. So many cool projects to start (starting is fun, following though is hard).
So many great articles to bookmark, because there's not enough time to read it all.

And hey, you gotta go to the gym. And eat. And see friends. And relax a bit.

And then life slapped me.

As we speak:

- I'm fasting day 2, not because I really want to.

- I have -$100 to my name.

- I can't recall the last time I've been SO focused and productive.
While I made a commitment to work 10 hours a day, it's usually more,
I have to make myself go to bed.

What's going on here?

I can't go on much longer without food, and my bills will be due soon as well.

So I don't have the LUXURY of doing anything else with my time,
but the most productive thing. So I'm writing code and upgrading my skills
10+ hours a day, hoping to get a "good" job I've applied for.

They sent me some demanding test, so that is all I do.
Reading code documentation to figure things out.
Asking questions.
Learning to work with new software and frameworks.
Whatever is needed I just keep going and don't get tired.

Then when I'm comfy and there's a paycheck
(with this or another company), I'll try to never forget this feeling.

And for sure - I will be able to focus at one thing at a time.

One fastlane attempt at a time.

So I'd say, among many other things, there are 2 big components to focus:

1. Urgency. When something's urgent to you, then all of a sudden you're focused.
Often to an extent that you even can't think about other things, even if you wanted to.

2. Training and habit. First few days it was hard for me to focus for longer periods of time
than I'm used to. I did push myself a bit. It was not all easy, and stil isn't.

Just remember that if you're not swimming forward, you're slowly sinking down.
Very slowly...so you don't even notice. But then there's one moment,
when your nose gets below water, and then you notice it with every part
of your body.

Then all of a sudden you clearly know what's your one priority.

You do everything you can just to get some air.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Are you certain this is a problem, or is there a way you can use it?

What if instead of trying to solve the problem you try learning more about yourself and why you lose focus? Maybe you're not actually losing focus at all, but learning to recognize better opportunities. If you're like me, your focus comes and goes. If so, then you can recognize that anytime you start a new project you have a certain amount of time before you lose focus/interest. With that knowledge, you can take massive action toward individual projects and learn as much as you can before losing interest.

For me, focus comes in waves. Waves come in, waves go out, then they come back in again. So, anytime I start a project I try to accomplish a lot in a short time, and learn as much as I can. Then when I lose focus it's no big deal, because I know the focus will return in a month or two. This helps me learn a lot about different entrepreneurial pursuits, and now I've learned to combine them for more powerful results.

For instance, since joining this forum I've learned:
• How to make interactive children's books
• How to write & publish short stories
• How to use Wordpress & basic HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP
• How to import stuff for resale on Ebay / Amazon
• How to hire freelancers & what makes a good freelancer
• How to write copy that sells
• How to run adword & Facebook ad campaigns
• How to make & sell courses on Udemy
• How to record quality audiobooks

How is learning all of this stuff useful?

Well, I have short stories, children's books, a Udemy course & a Wordpress site generating around $200 of completely passive income every month. I don't do anything to keep up with them & haven't looked at them in months. I'm making upwards of $100 an hour as a freelancer writing copy for big companies who ask me to write Adword & Facebook Ads, and I always get the job because I learned sales skills that set me apart from others.

In short, I have the power to generate income anytime I want, and now that I've re-built capital for another Fastlane attempt, I'm ready to move into a niche market where I can utilize all of the above to fund my efforts without being bound to a 40 hour work week.

I'm not saying you should never keep your focus, but I wouldn't stress over losing focus when you're just starting out. You've got a lot to learn no matter how you approach it, so try several methods and use whichever one gets you the best results. Whatever you choose, the best path is the one that allows you to move forward, even if it means taking 2 steps back first.
That's extremely motivating. I find myself getting distracted by trying to learn new skills, and every time I attempt a project I have more and more focus and self-discipline towards it.

By the way, I wanted to ask you a question about UpWork. If the person hiring you is clearly deluded in their project, should you agree to work for them? I found a client who has an unrealistic vision and he wants me to do everything. Should I take his money?

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Its the same wit me, one friend suggested to try out Myers–Briggs personality test, Which some claims has 80% accuracy, Once u understand who you actually are, find similar people on fb by joining groups & identify ways of over coming those distractions or inability to focus... Like i used play chess jus to improve focus,interest & concentration. Has helped a bit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.