The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The possibility for negative feedback is what was bothering me.

Generally negative feedback happens due to miscommunication or lack of communication, so the only reason you should get negative feedback is if you fail to communicate your value and your terms to the client in ways they understand and accept.

Why did they lower the price for the Adwords? How certain are you that it's because they're trying to undervalue your work? Maybe they under priced because they didn't feel your quality was worth the original amount, or maybe it's something completely different. Maybe they meant to set the price at $80 and not $8.

If you respond in anger and close communication, then you'll lose them as a client and guarantee bad feedback. But, if you focus on finding solutions for the underlying problem, then you'll almost always come out on top.

Anytime I feel like a client has wronged me, I wait to respond. I wait, even if it's a whole day until I cool down so I can make sure I'm not missing something, because usually what I think is the problem, isn't really the problem. Usually it's just a small miscommunication.

Then, when I contact them, I ask questions to clarify the situation.

There's no blanket response for revisions, problems, or anything else. It's just a matter of looking at the situation as objectively as possible, asking yourself why you might be wrong, and then asking questions of the client for clarity.

Always focus on positive outcomes for both of you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Update:

Delivered one project today and he said it was "pretty damn good" and he'll use my services in the future. Still working on two other - bigger - projects and reading Cashdvertising - I'll send out some more pitches later today.

Bosley71

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 29, 2014
Finally I find time to sign me on Upwork.. I also send two applies, but for now nobody hire me..
But I still to try..

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Jumping in on this thread. Want to travel and have extra cash to float my main business.

The goal:

Start at a $10 an hour rate, and grow to $50 an hour. Then move abroad and work 10 hours a week on other people's projects, and the rest of the week on my own.

I wrote content and copy back at the end of high school. Nothing special, but was making about $18 an hour. I quit once college started and decided to get into other things, however did enjoy writing sales copy.

Just made an Odesk account and wrote my profile description.

Waiting to be approved ... and then will start applying for jobs.

dirk.wert.3

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 13, 2015
@SinisterLex is this truly the door to entrepreneurship? I been thinking about pursuing copy to gain experience in marketing for when I launch my own products as I've seen suggested many times on this forum and was wondering as someone who just started if you feel like your truly gaining the know how and enough side to launch your own products.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The door to entrepreneurship is when you make a decision to be an entrepreneur and take action in that direction.

Copywriting is a skill.

I launched my first product several years ago and made money without knowing anything about copywriting.

Copywriting can help you sell, but without action it's useless.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I started with the Gary Halbert 30 Day Challenge, but decided to change things up. Instead, here's what I'm doing:
  • Reading CA$HVERTISING thoroughly (this will be my second time)
  • Rewriting Gary Halbert's recommended letters
  • Writing my own sales copy
I was half-way through Breakthrough Advertising when I decided to make the switch. There's a lot of value in these old books, but I much rather become a master of just one book that encompasses all the older books.

However, there's no substitute for hands-on learning. Hence, I'll be keeping a notebook and rewriting each classic letter. When I'm done writing each letter, I'll take a picture of each page, and include it in my "portfolio" or in a video sales letter if I do one - basically show clients that I'm dedicated to the craft.

Other than that, here's the biggest mind-shift that I've had:

I was analyzing what scares me ... why I'm hesitating with the idea of becoming a top copywriter ...

... and I realized that my fear is not living up to client expectations.

My fear is to get a job, and then fail.

So what am I doing to combat that?

Writing my own sales copy ... building a portfolio.

Why?

Well, if someone sees my work beforehand, then that sets an expectation of what I can produce. It shows them exactly what my abilities are, and whether or not I will meet their expectations. At that point, they can decide whether or not I'm qualified to reproduce what I've done before.

And personally: I guarantee that whatever work I do, it will be to the best of my ability. However, what I cannot guarantee is that my work will be the best ever. That's a goal, but not something that I can control. Instead, what I am controlling is the expectation of what I will produce. The mentality that "Here's what I've made before. I can do that again, and I can do it for this price." If after all that, if I put in a 100% effort, and the client isn't impressed, then that sucks ... but I'll know that I've done everything I can to prevent that.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
If after all that, if I put in a 100% effort, and the client isn't impressed, then that sucks ... but I'll know that I've done everything I can to prevent that.
Don't get too attached to the results, this is not about impressing people, impressing is a ME attitude, just try to put yourself in your clients shoes and offer them what they need/want.

Having a portfolio is nice, just remember that you're as good as your last work, what matters is if you can deliver or not.

Lawrence Barse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Mar 8, 2014
Warning. This Story Starts with Failure.

A few weeks ago I pulled back from publishing (progress on the Inside.). It was eating days, draining funds and not really progressing. That’s not the focus of this post, so I’ll just say I scaled back to unplug and regroup.

I kind of felt it coming, but it wasn’t until @tafy asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years that I had to face a harsh reality. A publishing company isn’t in my plan. It sucks because I already dumped thousands of hours & dollars into it. But it is what it is. (It's not dead. Just not moving.)

Now What? Guess I’ll Freelance.

I’ll spare you the details, and cut to the chase. Tafy suggested writing copy to build funds so I can try again. So I headed out on my next great adventure and signed up on Odesk. No profile, no feedback, no hours billed. That was exactly 3 weeks ago.

Here’s my earnings this week.

View attachment 9213

That's around $1,000 and I've pre-sold for another $2,000ish before 1 month is over.

Wondering How? I'll Show You.

It starts with a mindset. A mindset you can read all about in @IceCreamKid 's thread here. It's funny, but I actually didn't stumble on his thread until after I started writing copy.

The mindset (for me) goes like this:

1. I will never give up, no matter how F*cking stupid I think I look every time I fail.
2. I will acknowledge my failure, learn from it, and move on.
3. I may hate the feedback others give, but I'll consider it no matter what.
4. I will strive my hardest every damn day to solve problems and create value.
5. I will learn to accept others for who they are, even when I think I hate their guts. (Still working on this one.)

How This Translates to Money on Odesk (or anywhere).

If you Google, "How long does it take to get hired on Odesk?" you'll hit pages of people whining about how it's been months and they haven't had a job.

You'll see stuff like this:

- "Why won't anyone hire me?"
- "I have all the skills the job asks for, wtf?"
- "I've done this for 20 years, have a Masters degree, but clients won't even reply..."
- "I've filled out my profile, taken tons of tests, and sent out 50 applications. Nothing."
- "I've listed every skill under the sun. I can do them all. Why can't I get work?"

The thing is, all the skills and experience in the world don't matter if the client reads me me me me me me.

My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

How to Send a You Focused Application when You don't Know Anything About the Client.

This part is super easy, but you can't be lazy. All you have to do is read their job listing. Everything you need to know is right there on the screen. Look for the company name. If it's there, look them up. Find out what they do. Find out who their customer is. Don't just solve the company's problem. Solve the company's customer's problems.

Show how your skills (AKA product features) benefit them first.

Example: (client wants a new web site to increase traffic.)

Bad = "I have 10 years experience designing webpages. I have a Masters degree in web design. Hire me."

Good = "Sounds like you need a design that increases site traffic. Cool, I can build an eye-popping site that makes customer navigation simple, and increases traffic 50% guaranteed. Oh, and I have 10 years of experience and a Masters to back it up.

Clients don't care about your degree, and they don't care about your experience. They care about what they care about, and if you don't show em' you care about the same, then you're not getting shit.

It's Not a Trick. It's a Lifestyle.

Focus on their problems. Focus on giving. Focus on solving. Forget about money. When they say "give first and money follows" they actually mean that shit. I know it seems hard to believe, but I swear to god it's true.

I get it... Freelance and jobs aren't exactly Fastlane, and I'm not rich either. But I'm willing to bet everything on the fact this same lesson applies no matter what business you're in. If you need money to start your real business, or if you're just starting out, or even if you've been grinding for a long time...check your focus.

It's changing everything for me.

I bet it will for you too.

Hey @SinisterLex , I had read your post and had been following this thread. I was already a member on freelancer.com but never had I pitched for a project. When I read what you had to say about the "You Focused Application", I tried to implement it in my Bids. I focused on what the Company/Person really wants and what are his problem areas. I wrote my Bid tell the Company/Person how I'll solve their problem. And it worked!! Your advice is brilliant.

I got a call from a Client for who's project I had bid. I don't have any reviews or 5 star ratings or any kind of badges on Freelancer. Yet I received a call, we talked about the project and I'll be working on this project.
Of course, I didn't get the exact amount that I had Bid, but following your advice really worked!

I just got off the call and thought of writing about this experience!

Thank you very much for providing this Golden Nugget to everyone! You are brilliant!

Last edited by a moderator:

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
First off, I'd like to thank SinisterLex for this awesome thread he's created. Rep transferred.

Second, I'd like to share a story with you all.

A week ago I applied for a position that stated he wanted a copywriter to edit their company booklet. I told him I would write a page for free (good tip for people without much feedback) and he could decide if he liked my work. He loved my application (power of focusing on you) and instead of doing the booklet, he wanted me to help him design their Website and make it ready for launch.

I talked to the owner on the phone and we discussed that I would write something for free to see if he liked my style and told him I’d have it back within a few days.

After taking a look at the Website, I realized it needed a lot of design work—something I don’t have much experience with. I thought at that point I’m probably not the right fit for them.

Instead of doing nothing, I decided I would write up a report on the things that could help him out the most.

After I sent it, they contacted me and were so appreciative of the advice I gave them that he said, “This is really excellent feedback. I would love to have you involved going forward. In the meanwhile is there some way for me to leave feedback for you?”

I don’t want this to come off as bragging. I want you to realize the power of going above and beyond for people. Trust that you will be rewarded if you always give 100% of everything you’ve got. Even if you can’t work with the client, leave the relationship better than where it started.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
First off, I'd like to thank SinisterLex for this awesome thread he's created. Rep transferred.

Second, I'd like to share a story with you all.

A week ago I applied for a position that stated he wanted a copywriter to edit their company booklet. I told him I would write a page for free (good tip for people without much feedback) and he could decide if he liked my work. He loved my application (power of focusing on you) and instead of doing the booklet, he wanted me to help him design their Website and make it ready for launch.

I talked to the owner on the phone and we discussed that I would write something for free to see if he liked my style and told him I’d have it back within a few days.

After taking a look at the Website, I realized it needed a lot of design work—something I don’t have much experience with. I thought at that point I’m probably not the right fit for them.

Instead of doing nothing, I decided I would write up a report on the things that could help him out the most.

After I sent it, they contacted me and were so appreciative of the advice I gave them that he said, “This is really excellent feedback. I would love to have you involved going forward. In the meanwhile is there some way for me to leave feedback for you?”

I don’t want this to come off as bragging. I want you to realize the power of going above and beyond for people. Trust that you will be rewarded if you always give 100% of everything you’ve got. Even if you can’t work with the client, leave the relationship better than where it started.
Thats excellent my friend. Congrats.
If MJ got a dollar for every time someone on the forum explained that you GET value AFTER you GIVE value.
He'd be a millionaire.
Wait...

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, anyone know how long it takes for feedback to show up on your profile?

I did a $10 job just to get some feedback. It's been a day, and nothing's showing up when I view my account in a different browser.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I'm sure others are doing the same thing so I'll ask.

How do you know if you are over analysing your copy.

I tend to anaylyse everything down to the last spec of dust. And copy is quite complicated, every single word has to have meaning purpose and influence.

When your writing an application or doing work for the client, how do you know it's good enough? How much time do you spend analysing and tweaking it?

For example In cashvertising, theres dozens of "techniques" to include in copy. Wouldnt you want to include every single technique in your copy to make it more powerful?

A lot of people fail in a lot of things simply because they make it harder than it has to be. I think I'm doing that. Theres people here getting jobs left and right much quicker than me.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm sure others are doing the same thing so I'll ask.

How do you know if you are over analysing your copy.

I tend to anaylyse everything down to the last spec of dust. And copy is quite complicated, every single word has to have meaning purpose and influence.

When your writing an application or doing work for the client, how do you know it's good enough? How much time do you spend analysing and tweaking it?

For example In cashvertising, theres dozens of "techniques" to include in copy. Wouldnt you want to include every single technique in your copy to make it more powerful?

A lot of people fail in a lot of things simply because they make it harder than it has to be. I think I'm doing that. Theres people here getting jobs left and right much quicker than me.

You don't need every technique to make your copy more powerful. Techniques don't make copy powerful. The only thing that makes copy powerful is connecting with the target audience. If you don't make the connection, then it doesn't matter how many techniques you use, because they'll never be powerful enough to earn the sale.

Techniques can only enhance copy after a connection is made.

If someone tried to sell you a bag of dog crap would you buy it? What if he said it's normally $49.99 but if you buy before Friday then it's only $29.99 and he'll even throw in a second bag for free? What if he even offered a money-back guarantee? Would you buy it then? Not without a connection. Not unless he shows you why you need it and hits an emotional need/want/desire that's so powerful you can't afford not to buy it.

Techniques can be powerful, but only when you create rapport with your audience first.

As far as analysis goes, the amount of time spent depends on how much time I need to feel comfortable that I'm delivering quality work. This also depends on how much content there is. Usually I write the content and then come back to review it the next day if possible so I can see it through fresh eyes. This helps me catch a lot of small grammar errors that I didn't see before. When it comes to copywriting, small grammar errors can be far more damaging than not using enough techniques.

I only read through my copy a few times to make sure it's good enough.

If you get caught up in analysis you won't put your work into the marketplace, and that means you won't ever know if it was good or not. If you really want to get better, then stop worrying so much about analysis and just put it out there. If it doesn't sell then it doesn't sell and you know you need to change something. So, you change one thing at a time and try again, and keep doing it until something works.

Reality-based testing is far more powerful than analyzing your own work and guessing whether or not it's good. When you test in the real marketplace then you get real feedback. Then when you start getting the results you want it's just a matter of doing more of the stuff that's working and less of the stuff that's not.

In the end you end up with really great copy because everything that didn't work is gone.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
On a similar note...

Copywriting isn't about packing as many techniques as possible into the text. You only use what works for your audience. Even if you manage to make a connection, you don't need to use every last tactic. For instance, if you were applying to a slowlane job you might write a resume & cover letter, and you might use copywriting to enhance it, but you definitely wouldn't center align all of the text like a sales letter. The goal is to sell, but the effect isn't the same because your audience has very specific needs.

Also, if you send your client a piece of writing and he doesn't like it, or it doesn't get results, then you need to ask questions. Ask him what he thinks should be changed. Ask him why he thinks it isn't working. Ask him what success looks like. Ask him more about his target market, and what their strongest desires are. These questions will help you make adjustments to what you've already written so you can give him better work that's worth his money and time.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

I'm still an amateur, but here's my take on it:

If you're charging hourly, then take as much time as necessary to deliver a great product. You "over-analyzing" might not be the most efficient, but you will be getting paid to do it.

Then, when you put your product out there, your client will give you feedback (either through literal feedback or through an email, etc). Based on that feedback, you change up what you're doing. Either change your rate to accommodate, keep doing what you're doing, or raise your rate if the client's happy and you're getting bombarded with work.

You won't know if this is a real problem, or one that you think is a problem, until you put yourself out there and see what the client thinks.

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
Hey there,

I'm in the middle of nowhere typing from my phone, so I'll try to give the best answer I can under the circumstances haha.

If you want gigs with no degree or experience, you have to figure out what skills and experience you do have. Then figure out how you can use them to meet the client's needs.

If you've never written anything, then you'd better have something else to offer. There's tons of skills that apply to writing that may not seem to relate at all.

Like, if you type fast then that keeps costs low and helps ensure fast delivery. If you're good with MS Word then clients won't need to spend time teaching you how to format.

You can also offer things most others won't. I offer free adjustments, free reports and a personal money-back guarantee that extends beyond odesk.

Add the skills you have and show how they help.

But, your profile isn't the main focus if you really want to pursue this. Probably 80% of getting gigs is your actual application. It has to be custom tailored to the individual client's needs every single time.

You have to grab their attention in the first line of your cover letter by showing what problem of theirs you solve. Then focus on building a connection by just being yourself.

If they're not paying much then writing quality isn't such a big deal, just be willing to work hard and learn.

By the way, be sure to ask yourself, can I honestly help this client? Or am I applying because it's what I want?

It sounds like writing is what you want. Client's don't care what you want. Not until you prove you can give them what they want.

If you can't legitimately deliver what they need, then you should apply to gigs you can deliver on while learning to write on the side.

If you try to go for big fish and learn at their expense, it's not gonna end well!

Also, I didn't add any examples because I'm on my phone but also because any example won't have your personality. It will have theirs and that won't help you until you learn to connect with people using your personality.
@SinisterLex You are an inspiration. So full of solid advice and wisdom. Thank you.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Got my first Upwork copy gig today. Created my profile yesterday (yea, web design is running dry, time to learn something new!)

The guy said this:

"First, congratulations and Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

He didn't say "You have the best qualifications!"

He said "Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

Hey guys. This works.

Help people. Serve people. There's money in serving people's needs.

EDIT: My rate is $15/hr now. My goal is $50/hr. My rate for web design was $30/hr. Let's see how far I can take this...

Last edited:

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Got my first Upwork copy gig today. Created my profile yesterday (yea, web design is running dry, time to learn something new!)

The guy said this:

"First, congratulations and Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

He didn't say "You have the best qualifications!"

He said "Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

Hey guys. This works.

Help people. Serve people. There's money in serving people's needs.

EDIT: My rate is $15/hr now. My goal is $50/hr. My rate for web design was $30/hr. Let's see how far I can take this...
So in your application, you explained to him what he needs in the articles to help his business?

Just want to clarify.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So in your application, you explained to him what he needs in the articles to help his business?

He told me his needs in the application (his product and what he wants out of a copywriter).

I addressed his needs directly. I told him what his product did for people based on the features. I demonstrated that I knew how to write copy based on my application. I told him that satisfaction would be guaranteed.

Note: this will not always work! You can still get rejected for someone with a better price, or higher feedback, or a prettier face. I sent out 8 applications yesterday: got 1 interview, 1 job offer, and 1 rejection. The others are pending.

But addressing needs directly is probably the best way to get your first few jobs. The goal is to get enough long-term positions at a decent hourly rate that you've created essentially a stay-at-home Slowlane job for yourself.

The interview is for a long-term position (eek!) and the job offer is just for a small job. $25.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just ran into an MLM scam on Upwork. I cut the guy off, because didn't want to waste my time listening to his spiel, but basically here's how the scam works:

1. Ad asking for a copywriter
  2. This email: Hello [Name]....

I was intrigued by your response to my ad for a direct sales copywriter.

Rather than spend a lot of back and forth time via E-mail I suggest you call me on my direct line and we can have a brief conversation to determine what the next step should be.

My direct line is: 415-785-8264... That is in the Pacific Time Zone

I look forward to your reply.

Graciously,

Paul Hanson
  3. Then I got on the phone. He said he was a retired VC, and "let me tell you about what I'm doing." Heard trigger words "Multi Level Marketing", and then he started pitching me on this company: www.jeunesseglobal.com. It made no sense why he was pitching me, so I added two and two together, and in less than 5 minutes called him out. He got really defensive. Attacked me for being immature based on my age, etc. Pyramid scheme confirmed.

So in a nutshell: watch out for MLM schemes disguised as jobs.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
He told me his needs in the application (his product and what he wants out of a copywriter).

I addressed his needs directly. I told him what his product did for people based on the features. I demonstrated that I knew how to write copy based on my application. I told him that satisfaction would be guaranteed.

Note: this will not always work! You can still get rejected for someone with a better price, or higher feedback, or a prettier face. I sent out 8 applications yesterday: got 1 interview, 1 job offer, and 1 rejection. The others are pending.

But addressing needs directly is probably the best way to get your first few jobs. The goal is to get enough long-term positions at a decent hourly rate that you've created essentially a stay-at-home Slowlane job for yourself.

The interview is for a long-term position (eek!) and the job offer is just for a small job. $25.
Well said you summed that up beautifully actually.
Honestly if you get up to 50/hour which you will. You can just raise your hourly to 99.

Good job thats awesome, 8 applications in 1 day, must have taken a while.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Well said you summed that up beautifully actually.
Honestly if you get up to 50/hour which you will. You can just raise your hourly to 99.

$99/hr + high earning and feedback + low availability = one valuable looking dude. That profile is an asset in itself.

Also, the applications... I spent about 2 hours sprucing up my profile and doing skills tests. I spent a few more hours applying.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just ran into an MLM scam on Upwork. I cut the guy off, because didn't want to waste my time listening to his spiel, but basically here's how the scam works:

1. Ad asking for a copywriter
  2. This email: Hello [Name]....

I was intrigued by your response to my ad for a direct sales copywriter.

Rather than spend a lot of back and forth time via E-mail I suggest you call me on my direct line and we can have a brief conversation to determine what the next step should be.

My direct line is: 415-785-8264... That is in the Pacific Time Zone

I look forward to your reply.

Graciously,

Paul Hanson
  3. Then I got on the phone. He said he was a retired VC, and "let me tell you about what I'm doing." Heard trigger words "Multi Level Marketing", and then he started pitching me on this company: www.jeunesseglobal.com. It made no sense why he was pitching me, so I added two and two together, and in less than 5 minutes called him out. He got really defensive. Attacked me for being immature based on my age, etc. Pyramid scheme confirmed.

So in a nutshell: watch out for MLM schemes disguised as jobs.

Wow, that's nuts!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Update: Finished the job. He liked what I did. I gave him positive feedback because he honestly was a good guy to work with.

Now he wants to know what ELSE I can write for him.

This is the time when you ask him what else he needs. I started spoutin off all types of experience and such... but I remembered to remind him that I am looking to know what HIS needs are.

He might know my username on this. I hope he sees my posts. As long as I'm useful to him, he will keep paying me.

I sent in 3 more applications. I need to use up my available connects before my month is up on the 19th. Time to increase my value to people.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
So, I'm back from moving, and getting back into the newly named UpWork. I have just noticed that I had been given a 5 star review, without having noticed it! (You'd think there'd be a notification for this sort of thing.)

I'll be honest, I've never been quite that confident in my writing. I suppose I'm better than I thought I was, and need to stop worrying.

@SinisterLex , I'll be going over your other thread as well. Thanks a million. I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but thanks to you, I'm a single step closer to getting there.

Last edited by a moderator:

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
To say @SinisterLex has me hooked on this thread would be an understatement (I literally read it over and over). Really cool stuff going on here. How has it been working out for you guys thus far?

I've been considering giving freelancing a shot (I would definitely have to read your 15 days to freedom thread as well).

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
To say @SinisterLex has me hooked on this thread would be an understatement (I literally read it over and over). Really cool stuff going on here. How has it been working out for you guys thus far?

I've been considering giving freelancing a shot (I would definitely have to read your 15 days to freedom thread as well).
The only advice I can offer on this is just apply. I would be so much further along if I actually sent in applications, instead of worrying over my own ability. (I'm still struggling with that last bit. The move didn't help matters.)

On top of that, ask questions when you're confused or need more clarification. Most of the entry level postings I see don't post much information. If you ask about the job in the cover letter, you are more likely to come out ahead of those that simply post their own qualifications. Asking questions shows that you care.

That last job I mentioned before in this thread? I didn't even meet all of their qualifications. I was up front about it. I felt the instructions were too strict, and voiced my concern. But you know what? I overperformed anyway. I couldn't meet all of their requirements. (I actually don't think I met any of them.) But instead, I made a few recommendations on how they could improve their site. (Fortunately, very easy to find through the client's name and some information on the project they had me working on.) I rewrote some of the articles and turned them in, along with my project that didn't meet requirements.

The project I was working on? I made a suggestion about those as well before they considered putting it on their site.

They liked my writing, and loved my foresight with the suggestion.

So, what did all of this get me?

I got payment. I got a five star review. I didn't even do the job right.

This isn't permission to be sloppy, or to think that this will work ever time. But the point is, be honest. If you can't do something, say so. You save your own time, and their's.

___

On a side note, @SinisterLex. When you mentioned before that you charge an hour, did you use the software and have it record an hour? Or did you just say, "Just charge me for an hour of my rate, regardless of how much time it took?"

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Ok so I just have gotten started working on odesk. Instead of copy writing I want to start a social media managment company/consultancy. Since I don't have much experience I have gotten started on odesk. I Landed my first client a couple days ago (after 15+ applications). My client is very happy and they are pretty much paying me to learn social media. While I wouldnt reccomend this to everyone sometimes you just have to dive in head first.

Ok so I'm also in a situation. I charged that client $5 an hour (since I was new) but the thing is managing social media lasts for months so does that mean I won't get a 5 star feedback until this job is completely done? Because my plan was as I got 5 star feedback I would raise my rate but the job for my client is on going. Also he is giving me more work (he has multiple brands under one brand) which is good but I don't know whether I should ask for more money or not.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ok so I just have gotten started working on odesk. Instead of copy writing I want to start a social media managment company/consultancy. Since I don't have much experience I have gotten started on odesk. I Landed my first client a couple days ago (after 15+ applications). My client is very happy and they are pretty much paying me to learn social media. While I wouldnt reccomend this to everyone sometimes you just have to dive in head first.

Ok so I'm also in a situation. I charged that client $5 an hour (since I was new) but the thing is managing social media lasts for months so does that mean I won't get a 5 star feedback until this job is completely done? Because my plan was as I got 5 star feedback I would raise my rate but the job for my client is on going. Also he is giving me more work (he has multiple brands under one brand) which is good but I don't know whether I should ask for more money or not.

You're taking on a several month gig for $5 an hour. Tell him that you'll need to increase the rate soon and that you're only doing this for feedback, or otherwise find another gig. At $5 an hour anyone will "pay you to learn social media". If I was the employer, I'd try to have you "learn" as long as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.