The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"When You're Rich, Remember Me!"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I live a very low key lifestyle to avoid conversations with people like that.

I hate hearing the, "Remember me when you're rich" speech. I simply don't want to deal with people wanting money, expecting money, hoping for money. It's annoying.

When you're young, you tend to feel like you have to prove something to the world. The car, the house, the clothes, etc. What many will find further down the road is that the process of striving for success and happiness is often a game of subtraction.

I've seen the scenario played out so many times:
1. Get rich.
2. Get the house, cars and other material things.
3. Realize all that stuff is adding more stress than anything else. Family and friends start expecting handouts. "If you drive a Lambo, but won't give me $100 then you're a jerk."
4. Subtract all the extras and "downgrade" to a simpler life with less stress.

I'm going to get a nice big house that I don't invite jackasses to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I'm not rich by any means, but it's hilarious to see what kind of pissing contests people are willing to get into to prove something to you. I had this friend who whenever I purchased something bought something more expensive a week later. New Macbook? He bought one, too. New watch? He'd get a more expensive one. New car? He'd get one, too. The thing is for me it made sense to make that purchases, while he just tried to keep up. I later cut contact and he's probably done years worth of damage to his financial situation to prove godknowswhat.

Sickening to see what people do for approval

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I live a very low key lifestyle to avoid conversations with people like that.

I hate hearing the, "Remember me when you're rich" speech. I simply don't want to deal with people wanting money, expecting money, hoping for money. It's annoying.

When you're young, you tend to feel like you have to prove something to the world. The car, the house, the clothes, etc. What many will find further down the road is that the process of striving for success and happiness is often a game of subtraction.

I've seen the scenario played out so many times:
1. Get rich.
2. Get the house, cars and other material things.
3. Realize all that stuff is adding more stress than anything else. Family and friends start expecting handouts. "If you drive a Lambo, but won't give me $100 then you're a jerk."
4. Subtract all the extras and "downgrade" to a simpler life with less stress.

Haha, this is why I'm keeping my Silver '05 KIA Spectra after I buy a Lambo. Just in case.

It all really depends on the people in your life, and what they're like. It isn't the same for everyone. I have one Best Friend that shares the same prospects as I, has read the same material, and has the same determination and goals. We do business together, but keep our friendship/family separate from business. We're both currently busting our asses. I made a thread recently including the partner situation, and i'm finding more and more everyday that I was being very over analytical. Most people have described their partner horror stories, and I have to say that my dude it's quite the opposite. He actually quit martial arts recently to devote more time learning Financial Literacy and Marketing.

When we get there:

-I'll help my parents out financially. They've done the world for me, and have largely shaped me to be the person I am.

-I'll pay off my Bro's tuition because he's my main dude, and I want to see him go far in his political career, and not be set back by debt.

That's about it! Seriously. I don't really hang out much with many people these days because of my ventures; even before, I was never called up to hang out by anyone I really knew from high-school, college. The only people I occasionally hang out with are co-workers I've gotten to know real well. These co-workers are cool dudes, and I would totally have them over to my place to hang out after all is said and done.

In terms of people asking what I'm up to (because I can only hide in my house coding for so long before someone asks me 'why I'm like this all of a sudden'), I tell them that I'm in a 'business venture.' They always ask, "well what are you doing?" To which I reply, "ahh, you'll see." Besides giving them a mild idea of what I'm doing, I'll never actually tell them what's up though, because A) it's validation seeking, and B) It kills motivation.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
sickening to see what people do for approval
Being in the business of "keeping up with the Jones" is very lucrative. Pretty much the reason people sell high-end clothing on eBay relatively easy

Blhhi

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 23, 2014
The only thing worse than "Remember me when you're rich," is "Hey! I've got an awesome business idea I've been thinking about!"

You get it ten times worse when they know you can program. You wouldn't believe how many idea guys think you're just waiting to be Steve Wozniak while they Steve Jobs you.

And to those who think we're taking it too seriously: You think it's light-hearted and funny the first 5 times. After 20+ times it seems like something much worse is going on.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I have a few very close friends, that no matter how much money they knew I had, have never asked for more than a drink (or sonething small and cheap) even if they have had a massive financial need and I could have helped.

Those people, along with my parents, will be who I don't forget. F*ck all the haters and beggars.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
small minded people talk about small minded things.

Whenever someone says something of the nature of "remember me" to you they are being serious (regardless of what you choose to believe) but they play it off as if it's a joke when you don't validate their statement, it's as simple as that.

I used to hear that statement a lot and I'm glad they think they'll be getting a check in the mail. But I don't hear that statement anymore. Why? Because I don't hang around people that think that small and I don't discuss my vision with people that need glasses.

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
I remember the first time I told my father about my first venture. He literally told me: ''If you succeed, I'd be the first one to be proud of you. However, it's my duty to be the first one to tell you not to do it and to tell you to get a normal job.'' Made me laugh.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
I remember the first time I told my father about my first venture. He literally told me: ''If you succeed, I'd be the first one to be proud of you. However, it's my duty to be the first one to tell you not to do it and to tell you to get a normal job.'' Made me laugh.
Lol. Much better than my old man who told me when were discussing where I'd like to move into and while pointing at this pricy penthouse in my city (800€/month, roughly the average wage here):

"Yeah...but those kind of places are for rich people and not for lowly people like us"

8a276bc3-6b48-487d-9a7b-ba49094f7c51.gif

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
I look forward to giving away my wealth, should God see fit to bless me that way. It really is so much better to give than receive. Having said that, there's not much pleasure in giving gifts to those that expect and/or demand them.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yes i get the "don't forget about me" once in a while...
lol i just say "sure you know i got you!"
No time to think about this stuff when i'm not even rich yet...

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
My friend just the other day said " If you have a nice car, let me wash it and ill be happy"

Now, I thought it was funny but also was thinking about was "Is that all he wants from his life? To wash my car? Wtf?" lol

On the flipside, he does actually believe ill make it someday, which is a confident booster. It makes me feel like I NEED to succeed, which obviously isnt a bad thing... motivates me even further. I also have close friends who we always talk about well look after each other should one of us make it, hopefully it will be all of us obviously.. we often say things like "Ill hire you as VP" haha

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have had money for many years. Due to the high level of activities that we participate in, there are many friends in my circle. None of them have ever asked for money.

A couple of family members have though and we have given it to them without a second thought.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have had money for many years. Due to the high level of activities that we participate in, there are many friends in my circle. None of them have ever asked for money.

A couple of family members have though and we have given it to them without a second thought.

Damn it is nice to see your screen name popping up here again.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Damn it is nice to see your screen name popping up here again.

Thanks. Good to be back.

It is nice to talk real estate over at the bigger pockets forum. But, I cannot get on board with the general way of thinking over there. Not fastlane enough...

... and I missed my friends over here. :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.