The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kids product - market to kids or parents?

Marketing, social media, advertising

stormjb1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 29, 2013
London, England
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of starting a line of digital products for kids, but unsure of who my audience is in terms of marketing and call-to-actions. Growing up watching Nickelodeon and the rest, the traditional kids products such as toys were pretty much always advertised to directly to kids ie the language, copy, visuals used were aimed at kids. Should this approach be used on the web too?

For example, if my site is populated with free content for young children from which I upsell to products on my store should the copy be geared towards the parents who are ultimately the ones who open the wallets or at the kids who is the consumer.

I also wanted to use a lead magnet for building my email list but unsure of whos email I should be collecting. Considering the products are for 6-10year olds who probably dont even have email addresses, and even if they did, the open ratio is likely to be low. Would it be advisable to ask for their parents' email adds? Is it considered unethical to do this?

Been racking my head all day thinking about this issue but cant seem to figure it out.
Of course it would be best to test both scenarios, but I simply dont have the resources at the moment to do so, so any advice/thoughts would be super helpful! Will be transferring reps.

Cheers! JB

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Ultimately your customer is the parent, market as such. Definitely collect emails.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Do kids have credit cards?

Target the parents.

Last edited:

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
That's a hard one.

TV ads target kids, who think they will be the happy king of the hill if they have this or that.
Those kids then beg their parents to buy it. They'll annoy them until they get what they want.
The parents want them to shut up and will look for the product, what it is and if it could harm their kids, or benefit their education.

I'd steer my marketing/ads towards the kids, but the copywriting/sales letter should be written with the parents in mind.

Aktion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 16, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly the only way to know if your particular product is better marketed this way or that way is to A/B split test. Keep the traffic the same but test the copy or appeal against a different type of copy or appeal.

While I would agree that marketing to the parent is better, guessing and "best practices" is dangerous and honestly stupid, and could leave you leaking revenue.

By A/B split testing you would not only find the answer to your question, but you'll learn something that you could further test, which will lead to further knowledge about who buys from you which will lead to further tests and so on.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Kix's slogan says it best.

Kid tested, mother approved.

Make the kids WANT it, and make it so it's easy for the parent to say yes (and hard for the parent to say no).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.