The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tradesmen in the Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
BINGO. For anyone curious, Mr. Pratte started as a framer for a construction company. Then started his own business and framed himself. Then hired a crew to frame for him. Then expanded regionally employing as many as 4,000. Then in the housing boom, sold his company to Pulte for $350 million.
That makes me retract a previous statement about quality control. SO I'll re-phrase I'd rather be pratte than the quality control guy.;)

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Hey guys. So I know alot of people are against Facebook as a business platform. But I love it for business with training wheels sorta speak. I Created a page to try and create a local fallowing. Not trying to sell anyone anything as of yet. Although I will in time use the page one front door to my business. Not sure if we can share links like this here but I'll try. www.facebook.com/pages/Builders-Choice/1527983694154624 check it out. give me some feedback I'll put my pride aside for a minute I promise.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
So My plan to take roofs on didn't quite pan out. But! I heard through the grape vine. My Uncles company is taking on over 500 homes In the next 3 months. So I traded my little kia in for a Truck. My Uncle is a very Intimidating man, so I'm currently mustering up the courage to ask to be paid by the Job. Kinda hoping posting it here will set it it stone sorta speak. We've had a couple duo's branch out like this and just remain a duo. I want to turn into multiple crews ASAP. And never look back.

Metabaron

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 16, 2015
Indiana
In a gold rush, sell shovels and pans. I used to work for Menards, owned by John Menard Jr. He started with a framing company, then had other framers coming to him to buy materials on the weekend. He is worth 9.5 billion, has 285 stores and the company is privately held by the family still. I think that quailifies as fastlane, even if it took 55 years to get there :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Really wish I would have learned a trade now. My Dad always wanted me to go down the route of Plumbing/AirCon repairs.

Charlie Mullens of Plimco of London has done amazingly well with his plumbing business he only owns something in the region of 20% of the market in London but he is content with that. Some interesting videos on YouTube and articles on the web about him.

May sound kind of silly but something as simple as an app/printable web page for the elderly or just even general people with common problems which may seem simple to a tradesman but difficult to the average person.

Sounds silly but my girlfriends friend had a puncture and that got made a drama out of (mega facepalm). So just a simple app with 30-50 different helpful advices.

I know we have the wonderful Google and Youtube with an abundance of info but a app specified in this situation would possibly go down well if its not already out there. Monetize by pop up adverts.

Just a thought.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
In a gold rush, sell shovels and pans. I used to work for Menards, owned by John Menard Jr. He started with a framing company, then had other framers coming to him to buy materials on the weekend. He is worth 9.5 billion, has 285 stores and the company is privately held by the family still. I think that quailifies as fastlane, even if it took 55 years to get there :)[/QUOTE/]

Thanks for the info man. I'm interested in taking a shorter path than 55 years haha. But I appreciate your Input for sure.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Really wish I would have learned a trade now. My Dad always wanted me to go down the route of Plumbing/AirCon repairs.

Charlie Mullens of Plimco of London has done amazingly well with his plumbing business he only owns something in the region of 20% of the market in London but he is content with that. Some interesting videos on YouTube and articles on the web about him.

May sound kind of silly but something as simple as an app/printable web page for the elderly or just even general people with common problems which may seem simple to a tradesman but difficult to the average person.

Sounds silly but my girlfriends friend had a puncture and that got made a drama out of (mega facepalm). So just a simple app with 30-50 different helpful advices.

I know we have the wonderful Google and Youtube with an abundance of info but a app specified in this situation would possibly go down well if its not already out there. Monetize by pop up adverts.

Just a thought.
I want to create a bank roll to be able to source out the tech stuff I don't have time to learn. So your not far off from what I'm working on actually.

Dawsop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Apr 11, 2015
I want to create a bank roll to be able to source out the tech stuff I don't have time to learn. So your not far off from what I'm working on actually.
I am in Alberta framing, 12 years ago I started and have worked myself up to 40 employees and sub contractors. It takes along time to build trust with the builders but eventually they will pay you a premium to manage their framing. It can spin into supply and install ( 5% on all wood used) and builders releasing big blocks of houses,townhouse or condos. My next venture is prefab business with a major apartment builder. I currently work less than 20 hours a week. pm me if you want Protect your name at all costs its all you have in this business

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Pulled my man card out of my A$$ and spoke with the Boss man. I'm In! Roughly 2 months from now I'll be framing single homes and Towns as a pieceworker. Booya! Instantly doubles my income. I'm ecstatic Rite now. Now I just need to make it stick. Build the Bank roll And keep unfolding the master plan.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Update: I start Piece work on Monday Hehe. I'll post photos and my pay check differences in the next few weeks. I have to thank Alot of guys and, Vig, The Big Guy MJ, Big Thanks For throwing gas on my fire.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I was a tradesman for nearly my entire adult life. I wouldn't trade it for ANY college degree. I don't have to work it anymore, but it doesn't stop me from missing the camaraderie out in the field or looking back after a full day of workin' hard and actually seeing something that you helped build with your hands...

nothing like it.

There is a lot to be said about the shovels and pans analogy...

The trade that I apprenticed in has enabled me to build a business worth more than I could have EVER earned working by the hour, but again, working by the hour is what propelled me into a million dollar business.

The thought was so simple, it is almost scary, and yet it was far from easy.

One of the biggest challenges a tradesman has to overcome is this...the challenge of not trying to do it all himself. I would have probably cut my learning curve time in half if I wouldn't have tried to do it all myself. We as tradesmen have a tendency not to ask for help if we see any way of doing a project alone.

Find a need in your trade and fill it.
It is that simple. If it is a new way of doing something, of creating something, or of selling something, find out what is needed and then get off your butt and burn the candle to make it happen. It is the only way you'll ever know if you can break the chains of working by the hour.

It can be done. I did it And there is still plenty of fruit to be picked. The trades are ripe for new ideas, products and ways of doing things

We now manufacture our own small line of tools and pouches, and have dealers nationwide. And it all started with an investment of about one paycheck.

Online, offline, ebooks, processes, videos, apps, safety, outsource, training, contracting, retrofitting, you name it, it is all there in the trades.

You just gotta want it.

R

Andrewski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 21, 2015
I'm a journeyman scaffolder, 24 yr old, made 120k with my hammer last year while my friends that went to college are making $16/hr with 20k in debt.

Anyway I'm still searching for my niche but life is still pretty good right now!

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I'm a journeyman scaffolder, 24 yr old, made 120k with my hammer last year while my friends that went to college are making $16/hr with 20k in debt.

Anyway I'm still searching for my niche but life is still pretty good right now!
120k as a union labor?

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Union, yes. Labour, no. It's basically a trade here in alberta, I did a 3 year apprenticeship.
Rite on man. 120k is no joke. We have the same thing here in Ontario. I was on the waiting list for a union a couple years back. when they finally called they said I needed to show that I could start a quick cut. and put forms together and than a multiple choice test. My pride got in the way and I bailed. you know you love your Job when you bail on 3x the income to keep swinging a hammer!

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Well I Didn't get piece work yet. I'm an Asset and I will remain one unless something drastic happens. Well Sum Bit!# something drastic happened. Long story short. My boss Scrapped Panelling,pre-fab And is Dropping 90% of hourly workers. Yours truly Had already been Plotting and pestering the Big guy. I'm 99.9% sure I'm booked In. I have 3 Guys ready to jump on board.
I need get WSIB. Which is completely new to me. But I'll Make some calls on lunch tomorrow and see what can be done.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Well tomorrow will Be week two of operating my own Business/Framing crew. First Invoice goes in on Friday. I have two employees On pay roll rite now. Lots of elevation issues with the concrete But we pushed through. Even hustled a chipper and did some myself. If we close out these two units by friday that's $7000 before the employees get paid and wsib etc. That will be the biggest earnings in two weeks out of my 30 years on this planet! Boo yah! All thanks to the forum. If things keep trucking along. I'll be carrying certain products in no time online. hehe

IGSKnox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2015
Knoxville,Tn
Yea, in the case of tradesman, the method of scale would be a human resource system. You hire the electricians which work for you. Probably, IMO, the most difficult system of scale involves the scaling of people, or employees. In this case, more employees equals a higher ceiling of revenue.
Thats is only PART of the Equation though, i run a Window Cleaning / Pressure Washing Company...well two of them actually, one caters to wealthy working class other caters to ultra wealthy, the ladder works 50- 70% less and kills the other on profit due to higher customer service which equals higher rate

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014

I'm jealous of Western tradesman here in asia they pay you peanuts

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Would you consider a building architect a trades? I ask because that is how Pat Flynn got his start. He was an architect who was well known for his expertise on the LEED GA exam, and his first business was to take that knowledge and convert it into an online course and ebook. If your trade has some kind of exam with it that people need to take in order to advance, there's potential there.

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 1, 2019
I did this kind of work entry level but not as a tradesman. Biggest problem most of the guys in the industry face are they don't realize automation and AI is coming and I predict within 15 years at least half of them will be unemployed. It isn't any sooner because you can't have robots damaging million dollar equipment, setting off H2S inadvertently. You'd be surprised how many 50 year olds can work 16 hours per day for 20 days straight, it will make you younger guys look like wimps. Mike Rowe may mean well but he is sending plenty of young people to a deadend. With that being said there's so much red tape and consequently there are days when we all stand around and do nothing. There are plenty of kids that never went to college driving Benz.

The dumber, typically the younger ones, throw their money away at strip clubs and cars. Trust me, when you're in the middle of nowhere and you finally see an attractive woman you go crazy.

The smarter ones sock away money into money makers like real estate, clothing companies, or get into equipment sales.

The genius ones are the ones that either develop B2B products that sell for millions or they open their own companies that compete with their former employer. With robots getting more advanced you better be in a position to either use them or switch to another career. I left for several reasons, one of the biggest being I wouldn't be able to scale even if I spent several more years developing connections and saving money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.