The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
Then why not start offering training in that - could you even get work at your college - and use the income from that to pay for more technical certification like that mentioned by julien155.

I guess you could also offer a flyer-design service which you can probably sell to other on-campus businesses; especially if you organize the printing too via a local print shop who will give you a discount, or an online printer who offers "white label" services to people like graphic designers
yeah, I'm still in high school until May, but yeah I get your point. I guess I have more to offer than I think.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
Awesome, what sort of Adobe software is the cert for? I would recommend looking at IT jobs on monster, dice, and other Job boards and get the some of the certs that are in demand for those jobs. When I was in school I worked a night shift help desk job. They paid me 25$ per hour but since it was at night I didn't get that many calls/emails. I was able to do all my HW and study while at work and went to class in the day. I'm sure you could find a similar job in your area, and when you do you'll be golden until you graduate.

My advice would be to save as much as you can and learn as much as you can. Starting a business requires both knowledge and money. Look at how the company runs and think of services you could offer them, or how you could provide the same service they do but do it better/cheaper.
I have certifications in Dreamweaver, indesign, photoshop, & I'm working on flash right now.

I truthfully don't want to get stuck in the slowlane, but as long as I learn something from the job & earn a decent amount I have no problem having one. My end goal is to be on the fastlane before I die

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I wish I had stayed in college.

Instead I muffled my extroverted personality and turned into a asocial hermit that lashed
out at the hint of everyone not accepting my dream or for not being fastlane.

I since have had to really reflect on myself and believe it or not it was in the rain shoveling dirt
with a bunch of "slowlaners" that humbled me and right there I realized that these guys were out here busting their asses
in the "slowlane" but food was going on their table and I sat months locked up in recluse pretty much action faking.

Out of all of this I learned a life lesson I will carry with me to my deathbed

Life sure is funny.

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
I have certifications in Dreamweaver, indesign, photoshop, & I'm working on flash right now.

I truthfully don't want to get stuck in the slowlane, but as long as I learn something from the job & earn a decent amount I have no problem having one. My end goal is to be on the fastlane before I die

Read jack Edwards intro to this thread he stated "most people who start a business will FAIL". Hate to say it but it's true 90% of the time, and I know everyone thinks there gunna be in the 10% that becomes rich but you probably won't. I personally know people who make over 300k a year, work from home and have a 15-20 hour work week. Not to bad for an employee. My friend started a business and actually sold it for $70 million, however he was a million before he even started it. You know why? Because he had a great JOB, he saved his money and learned all he could on the IT industry. When the opportunity came to start a business he had the money, the knowledge, and the connections necessary to succed. And even if it had failed he still would have retired at 35 with 2 million in the bank. To me that's the best position you can be in. Having a job isn't all that bad, even the CEO of McDonald's is an employee but he's raking in millions.

MasterOfMyFate

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 30, 2014
I have another year before I go to college, but I would like to know your opinions on whether going to a prestigious school (with higher fees/debt) is worth it. This would be regarding a degree such as Chemical Engineering or something similar.
(Prestigious School = Better Opportunities/Pay/Connections?)

Of course, getting a degree and working forever is not fastlane, neither is it my goal in life, but a fall back is always nice to have and a degree such as this or something like software engineering would provide more opportunities for creating a business.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated :)

julien515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 19, 2011
I have another year before I go to college, but I would like to know your opinions on whether going to a prestigious school (with higher fees/debt) is worth it. This would be regarding a degree such as Chemical Engineering or something similar.

Of course, getting a degree and working forever is not fastlane, neither is it my goal in life, but a fall back is always nice to have and a degree such as this or something like software engineering would provide more opportunities for creating a business.

For something like software engineering the school doesn't really mater as long as they have a decent IT program. It would make more sense to go to a state school then to pay to dollar to go to Harvard or something. However if you can get a scholarship go for it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
got my computer engineering degree free, financial aid covered it fully and i even got a good 2 grand back cash every semester... small caveat though: i was BROKE, PISS BROKE. i didn't buy brand name clothes, i didn't party, no cellphone, i didn't do anything of any expense... the subway rides were expensive enough...
just school and some sports. but i have 0 dollars of debt.
I would NEVER have gone to college if i had to take out a loan for it, cheers :)

JDRose

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 15, 2015
I graduate college in 39 days and I could not be more ecstatic. I have hit failure, after failure, after failure, (not classes, but just life) but I stuck with it. I have accomplished more with this degree than all but one person in my family. My school years are about to be over, but the real learning is about to begin. Lets get it.

Austin Sarwar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Mar 22, 2015
Florida
I'm 24 no college education and a minimum wage job. I don't think school is a very viable option for me. This thread kind of confuses me shouldn't you keep going even if you fail. Isn't failure just a part of the journey to success. I've been with women drank a ton tried my hand in various drugs and have partied for most of the last 8 years. Those memories don't keep me happy I wish that I would have tried and failed at a business when I was younger then have all those experiences that are useless to me in terms of experience gained in starting a business.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Absolutely go to college!!! It may seem slow lane but it will with 100% certainty open up doors and opportunity. Chances to network with other students and professors, career fairs, internships, student organizations... so many doors are there full.of opportunity but you just need to be there and go knock on them!

At the very least get a 2 year degree or do a techical or trade school but DO NOT take on more debt than you can make in your first year out of school. Do part time student and pay your way if you have to from your fast lane side hussles or min wage jobs. The only way I would say don't get a degree is if your fastlane business takes off or you become a super star celeb or athlete. If your not yet on the fastlane then finish that degree!

I got my masters in mechanical engineering.... took out 18k debt for undergrad, but got a full ride for my 2 years of grad school... has been totally worth it, I get to work on cutting edge technology and with super smart people, and make a decent wage.

A lot of my peers in undergrad did a 2 year AA first at a community college and then transferred to a 4 year state school and finished their engineering degrees. I think 2 year to 4 year is probably better from a cost standpoint, but if you have scholarship or can do straight 4 year university without taking more than 30k in debt, then that could work, but the less debt generally the better.

Do not pay for private school degrees in liberal arts... terrible return on investment. Private schools in general are terrible ROI unless you get near a full ride scholarship.

Get a stem degree. Specifically get an engineering degree and you can do anything. Mechanical or electrical engineering or computer science, you will start at almost double what other degrees do... good income to have to fund your fastlane endevours. If that is too hard do finance or econ, something with math. Advertising may not be a bad option either if you are a creative type.

DO INTERNSHIPS!!! Make getting internships be your number 1 priority. build a resume, good GPA and officer in a student club related to your degree, and then some other part time job really makes a well rounded resume.

I can't stress enough how important internships are. These open up the most doors, and if finish a degree without one or two internships, you will have a hard time getting a job, you will have to settle... i know we want a fastlane here, but I think you need to support yourself firsr, then focus on fastlane second.

FOCUS....! Work on a fastlane projects while in school..!!!..leverage all of the university resources that you can't get once you graduate : expert feedback on ideas from professors, computer labs, printing, softwares (CAD, MATLAB, Photoshop) maybe elective class in programming or advertising or business. Take advantage of student networks and clubs. For example, ask niche clubs about product ideas, maybe they can help you design a product to serve their needs, ask a computer club to help web developement, gaming club to help with app store game, english or literature club to help with writing ebook, video club to help film online course or make web promos, an engineers club to help you design that new product you had in mind. Use the university patent office to help you get patents. Check their resources for entrepreneurs. My undergrad had a whole department dedicated to entrepreneurship and my university is one of the world leaders in annual patents filed. All major universities have offices that help students and faculty file patents. Universities even have free legal services.

Do you see the huge opportunities that await an entrepreneur on a major university campus? Why do you think so many big success stories started on university campuses? It's because the network and resources that can be accessed and leveraged are much more extensive than what is available outside of a university environment.

I wish I was interested in the fastlane when I was 18 just beginning my life as a university student. So many resources there for an entrepreneur it should be every entrepreneurs dream playground. Don't forget the library that will have way more books and broader and deeper subject matters than you can find in most public libraries if you need to research a product or business idea.

Anyone who has the opportunity to pursue a 4 year degree, and isn't already in the fastlane, is a fool not to do it. Only after you are fastlane, only then you can drop out and stop pursueing a degree. If you are not yet fastlane, look at all of the oportunites and resources a university can offer that could be helpful in starting a fastlane business that you are saying no to. SAY YES to the University and take advantage of the resources to help you reach the fastlane more quickly than you would otherwise.

Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Anyone who has the opportunity to pursue a 4 year degree, and isn't already in the fastlane, is a fool not to do it.
Sure, because you'll be on fastlane as soon as you finish college. Unless you want to be a doctor, or a lawyer, going to college is just an escapade, you either a.Don't know what the hell to do with your life b. Don't think you can make it doing your own stuff, so you must follow the "clever" path

At the very least get a 2 year degree or do a technical or trade school
Nothing they teach there can't be learnt on the internet. And you'll be taking a shitton of useless classes just because.

expert feedback on ideas from professors
Look, I'm not saying there aren't great teachers, it's just that, if their feedback is that good, what the hell are they doing teaching college?

The only thing I think you got right is the networking and developing social skills.

PS: I spent 1 year at engineering school, and currently half assing a 2nd year at Business School because I've got a business to run, there's no way to go to a decent college and run your own stuff, there's just no time and patience, specially when the other 99% of the students are memorizing shit 24/7 because they have nothing better to do.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015

It depends on the schools being considered and the amount of debt... I went from an undergrad engineering program that doest really have much of a reputation, to a graduate program ranked in the top 10 for public universites. I can say the fundamentals learned are the same, but there is a huge difference in student opportunities and resources. Huge.

I would say yes, it is worth it to attend the more prestigious engineering school if you can get accepted and graduate with less than 40k in debt and make more than that in your first job. Now if the difference is a top 50 school to a top 20 school, it may not be worth it, it will depend on a lot on a case by case basis. But if it is like a rank 100 school to a rank 10 school, it is most likely worth it without a doubt.

If you are looking at out of state schools vs in state, and each school is the top ranked in the state, it's probably not worth it to go out of state. Assuming you are in the US. I

If you get accepted to the top ranked public school in your state, it will not be worth it to pay double for a higher ranked or private school, unless it is rank top 10 for public and private like MIT, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Michigan.

What schools are you looking at? What is the cost variance?

sangmen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 10, 2015
I graduated from college 3 months back and now doing my CPA. I know a typical slowlaner path. I am surrounded by slowlaners in my family. My parents r still taking the slowlane route and worked for 30-35 years and now they on verge of retiring and they have an above average life(after 35 years of toil), and they tell me if I continue that way only can I live a good life. I dont wanna continue that way however, so instead of spending time on actually studying fr my CPA I am exploring ways to create or add value. I am trying to identify problems where I can find solutions. I dont want a cubicle life of 9-5, I dont want to drive a Toyota/Mitsubishi for the first 20-30 years of my life and then upgrade to a Mercedes Benz at age 60 and I dont want to worry about mortgages. Whenever I argue with my parents about the fastlane they think Im delusional and I will not come up in life. They also think I dont have it in me to do my own business becoz I m not smart and talented. I agree that knowledge is very important to start ur own business and u need to know what ur doing but I dont believe that a college degree is solely responsible for that knowledge. But my parents cant think of another way except the slowlane. for them a slowlane journey will lead me to ultimate success ie. study->college->any professional certifiction->MBA->get a good job n work like machines->save money->get rich. Also according to my parents if I get an MBA and work for few years n gain experience then I can start a business after that (again after many years of work)

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
NuclearPuma, how great it is to spend 5 year in college, graduate, and earn the money to pay it back in just a year. That's 6 year, puff. gone. Think about it, what could you do in those 6 years, if you were do dedicate 100% of your time and effort in something?

I'm not on US.
The engineering school was the nº1 of Portugal and one of the best in Europe.
The business school is ranked at top 10 or 20 Worldwide.
It's not the lack of ranking, it's not a lack of "good university education".

I pay 1k€ / year in Tuition. Trust me, money cost is not the problem. The problem is time, time you're spending there when you could be doing a million things much more productive.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Private schools in general are terrible ROI unless you get near a full ride scholarship.
From my experience when I did Internships I was told I was more prepared and professional from going to a private school. So I don't know about ROI, but I believe you get what you pay for in quality of education. And I seemed to get more help getting grants and scholarships. The whole experience at a private school was such a huge difference then what I experienced at a public college. I'm sure it depends on the College or University and staff, and teachers. And really like I did, I went to four or five colleges and visited first just to see the options and how they interacted. I think right off the bat you can tell whether it's the right school for you and your needs. I wouldn't base it on alone on ROI, but the quality of education you're paying for.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Sure, because you'll be on fastlane as soon as you finish college. Unless you want to be a doctor, or a lawyer, going to college is just an escapade, you either a.Don't know what the hell to do with your life b. Don't think you can make it doing your own stuff, so you must follow the "clever" path

Nothing they teach there can't be learnt on the internet. And you'll be taking a shitton of useless classes just because.

Look, I'm not saying there aren't great teachers, it's just that, if their feedback is that good, what the hell are they doing teaching college?

The only thing I think you got right is the networking and developing social skills.

PS: I spent 1 year at engineering school, and currently half assing a 2nd year at Business School because I've got a business to run, there's no way to go to a decent college and run your own stuff, there's just no time and patience, specially when the other 99% of the students are memorizing shit 24/7 because they have nothing better to do.

A lot of professors make bank consulting for other companies. Example: my company does tens of millions in revenue a year with less than 200 employees, and they pay my former professor for consulting services, and so has Siemens, Rolls Royce, General Electric and the US government. Funny thing my university research is being used by my current employer and others. My professor paid me to do the experiments and paid for my Masters degree, my results are likely being used to design things millions will benefit from. Another professor consulted congress on nuclear waste storage and has helped set national building codes. Another developed a new method for testing for cancer. Another did consulting for the NASA space shuttle. Maybe not every single one, but many professors have tons of valuable insights and knowledge if you ask the right questions.

Yeah time can be an issue for devoting to fastlane, but you recommend people instead work some low wage job (which also requires time) or live at home or bumming off other people while they work on their businesses or peddling ebooks?

If you have no idea what to do with your life, that is a problem people will have even if they do not attend a university. Better to be wandering through life on a university campus while earning a degree than at some low wage non-degreed job in my opinion.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
NuclearPuma, how great it is to spend 5 year in college, graduate, and earn the money to pay it back in just a year. That's 6 year, puff. gone. Think about it, what could you do in those 6 years, if you were do dedicate 100% of your time and effort in something?

I'm not on US.
The engineering school was the nº1 of Portugal and one of the best in Europe.
The business school is ranked at top 10 or 20 Worldwide.
It's not the lack of ranking, it's not a lack of "good university education".

I pay 1k€ / year in Tuition. Trust me, money cost is not the problem. The problem is time, time you're spending there when you could be doing a million things much more productive.

Who can dedicate 100% of their time to anything that isn't already paying the bills? It's not 5 years gone if you were focusing spare time on fastlane. It could just as easily be 5 years poof gone bartending while trying to gain fastlane traction.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
I wish I had a fastlane mindset while I was in college 8 years ago. By the time I graduated maybe I wouldn't have even needed my degree. If I could go back in time, I would choose to attendend college all over again, some of the best experiences of my life, only thing I would do differently is play less video games and spend time focused on starting some kind of business.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
College changes the way your mind works for the better IMO. I became a lot more critical, analytical and open minded.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Yea, you can get some great experiences on meetup.com or even some other websites I won't mention. There's plenty of places to meet people and party, if that's what your raving about is "you won't regret it because you'll get some great experiences!!!" You can go just about anywhere and get shitfaced and meet some people. Those places are plentiful to have a great time. That's not in any type of short supply, and then at least you won't be chained down with 60k in debt.

The fastlane isn't for everyone but talking about going to college and justifying "because you'll never regret the great experiences" isn't why you should decide to go to college.

College is for a specific subset of careers that people are looking to get into. Some degree's are worth a lot more than others, some fields require a degree and some don't. For example I'm in the IT industry and it's not really needed because the technology changes so quickly the degree becomes rapidly outdated. Certifications are much more up to date and you can start out as a 'fly by the wheel' tech that only requires an A+ certification to get in then move up from there.

Every single person that I know who has a degree could burn it and still have their current job and they're still paying it off. Not to say some require it, but MANY do not.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I've always been torn between dropping out and doing extra years of college.

I'm still torn between it, and am currently doing an extra year of college (5 year undergrad total)

Cliff notes:

• Did 2 years of community college
  • transfered to my dream business school
  • Realized every reason the school was my dream school was a fallacy / false dichotomy
  • Realized schools are just good at marketing the good life and the fast lane and don't actually teach it
  • Realized the REAL benefits to school, even if it's not directly because of the knowledge you gain from school (networking, friendships, other people who bought into the lies of good marketing who are also serious about the fastlane life like you are)
  • Finished up 2 years in which I could have obtained my bachelors, but decided to take classes that didn't count towards my curriculum because it's the classes that don't count that i learned the most in
  • All the standard curriculum courses are a huge waste of money and time
  • Some classes you learn good applications of skill that will help beyond a 9 to 5
  • Most classes just teach you how to be a wage slave forever, and they make you better employable to the job market so you can make a few bucks more
  • Doing an extra year because with that time, it buys me more time to work on fastlane endeavors with a roof over my head, food in my stomach, not having to dive into a 9 to 5 job, and more network potential with others who are killing it
  • I pay for my own school and have fought my way to a good financial aid package, free housing (Resident Assistant) and every summer i land an internship to gain some experience, make enough money to pay for school, and work on fastlane shit as well

My 'looking back at college' reflection (I have 1 more year which i am taking by choice, i opted not to graduate this month)

Pros:
Will have a degree (Whether its just an expensive wall decor or worth something, i dont know)
Met people who have changed my life for the better
Have many super-high achieving friends with huge goals and aspirations
Have connections to billions of dollars within 1 or 2 direct connections from people i know (I have friends whose dads are worth 7 billion dollars, some of my professors are worth a billion, some of my direct friends are worth a few hundred thousand)
Learned, like anyone would if you go to class every day and pay attention (whether i could have learned the same for free online or not, i learned in the class with a hefty pricetag)
Was able to get away from home and into a much better environment with less drama, bullshit, and negativity (my homelife was never that great for entrepreneurship)

Cons:
I have some loans now
A lot of classes have been a total and utter waste of time
Sometimes I feel like i'm wasting my time memorizing and studying bullshit instead of just diving into the fastlane with all of my time.. to the point that i don't even study much anymore and still get by with the threshold for Dean's list and merit steps in financial aid
I see the vicious circle people get trapped in to take out loans to go to school to get a job to... pay their loans.

For what it's worth, i am doing an extra year......

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I HATE to be the one to bump a college thread, but I thought this tidbit was worthy of the scorn of bumping the thread.

One of the people I am friends with on LinkedIn announced her new gig as a professor of entrepreneurship at a college in her area.

Her credentials? She worked for a big box retailer as a low level manager (non-director level).

That's it. That's the only company she worked for since college. Actually, to be fair she got a PhD where she became qualified to teach entrepreneurship. Hope she at least was taught by entrepreneurs. This would be akin to me teaching a class on brain surgery. But hell... at least it's entrepreneurship. Anyone can do this, right? Study macro and micro economics, talk about supply and demand curves, and equip the next generation of students to then... teach the next generation of students.

That's who is teaching entrepreneurship at that local (mid-sized!) college.

If you are going to go to college, who are you learning from? I have a friend who retired from Microsoft at a young age, and decided to teach business. Cool. He could talk about business. If I were a student, I would listen to a professor like him that could talk from first hand experience about what it was like working and driving an industry leader.

However, I would prefer that my professor in entrepreneurship was - at some point - an entrepreneur.

ontrepreneur

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 23, 2015
Orlando, FL
I HATE to be the one to bump a college thread, but I thought this tidbit was worthy of the scorn of bumping the thread.

One of the people I am friends with on LinkedIn announced her new gig as a professor of entrepreneurship at a college in her area.

Her credentials? She worked for a big box retailer as a low level manager (non-director level).

That's it. That's the only company she worked for since college. Actually, to be fair she got a PhD where she became qualified to teach entrepreneurship. Hope she at least was taught by entrepreneurs. This would be akin to me teaching a class on brain surgery. But hell... at least it's entrepreneurship. Anyone can do this, right? Study macro and micro economics, talk about supply and demand curves, and equip the next generation of students to then... teach the next generation of students.

If you are going to go to college, who are you learning from? I have a friend who retired from Microsoft at a young age, and decided to teach business. Cool. He could talk about business. If I were a student, I would listen to a professor like him that could talk from first hand experience about what it was like working and driving an industry leader.

However, I would prefer that my professor in entrepreneurship was - at some point - an entrepreneur.
I've always lived by "Do what they preach, but not what they do." But at certain times they cross the line, in this case, by a mile. For example it's like when kids ask their parents (who are NOT wealthy) how to aquire massive wealth and they respond by saying to get a degree, find a high paying job, and invest in a 401k for several decades... sure...

I know they mean good, but it hurts my ears everytime I hear it.

Sent through intergalactic portal.

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'm seventeen and finishing up my second last year in "high school" tomorrow. I plan on going to college after school to study computer science and information technology. College in Ireland costs about 2500$ a year. I see this as a good use of my time, I have always managed to run my businesses around school because almost all of them are/have been based online and the target market are Americans. I go to school from 9am to 4pm and when I get home it's only 11am on the East Coast. I used to consider this an unfortunate situation because I would find myself up at 3am during school holidays working on the businesses when people on here are preaching about their productive mornings however I now realise I am in a very advantaged postion. I can go to college and be thought fully how to code in different languages and then come home in the evenings and apply this to my fastlane business. I also get the chance to interact with really cool people and party!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
5 years in college :( got my engineering degree, didnt get laid, didnt party... played lots of sports iguess....

95% waste of goddamn time! It's goddamn DESTINY that i broke through all that slowlane brainwashing... I still can't believe i escaped the matrix...
It's gonna be so F*ckin sweet when i finally make it... i think i might actually cry uncontrollably...

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
If you're doing to go, juice it to the max. Learn as much as possible, and have as much fun as possible. You'll have plenty of time to focus on becoming rich. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I did it wrong. Those are years and experiences that I'll never get back. You don't want to be saying that. I look forward to the fun and freedom I'll have when I'm rich, so that's something to look forward to, but I don't believe that it should have cost me the college experience. Who knows, maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side. Whatever - that's my two cents. Time to grind.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

True.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I had my first class (public speaking) of the semester yesterday and I encountered another interesting teacher. He made all of us speak in from of the class and basically talk about ourselves and life after college. After each of us talked, he started to tell us his successful entrepreneurial experience and told people to double check if there degrees will actually be worth something (basically he was promoting STEM).

I enjoy seeing teachers actually giving their students valuable advice, instead of just making up work and BSing the whole semester.

Overall, I'm starting to see that you can meet certain types of people where you least expect them.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Those are the best kind of teachers. The ones that expand your mind and push you beyond your horizons. I've had some of those myself. :)

rosa_24772

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 29, 2016
Hi my name is Rosa and I just need some advice. I'm not the type to talk much about my plans or feeling but I think you guys are smart people and I just want to hear what you guys have to say. I am 16 going to turn 17 in March. Well yes i am really young but im faced with a big decision well at least I think its a big decision. okay, so I am Mexican and I want to move to Mexico. My dad and brother are planning to move there already to open a car repair shop. The town i am planning to move to is a developing town. What I mean by that is that its developing businesses and houses are being build. I personally think that the car repair shop is going to work because there isn't much competition. They don't know as much about cars like my dad and brother do. But my point is this I don't know if I should go with them or not. I am a very smart girl I have straight A's and there is no doubt in my mind I can do anything I set my mind to. When I tell people that im moving to Mexico and not going to college they look at me like if im so idiot, they always say that im very smart and that im making a foolish mistake because its very important to go to college. I agree with them im not saying college is bad but I don't know if its the right decision for me. I REALLY don't want to go to college for 4+ years, just to be stuck in some office waking up early just to working for somebody else. I swear I really cant do that!!!! So because im smart I want to be different I want to go to Mexico and open up my own businesses. Personally I think it would be easier because there isn't much competition. I don't care if I have to work really long hours because its my business and im doing it for myself. I'm fighting for my dream!! My dream is to have multiple businesses. of course like every business I am going to start off small but one day I want to open up a super store like Walmart. I want to hire a lot of poor people In Mexico I want to help them feed there families. I want to help them not have to come to America for a better life. I want to just help my country, but at the same time put money in my pocket ;). My plan is to open up that super store and many other small businesses and then hire people from those really poor places in Mexico and bring them to my town and of course they are going to need a place to sleep therefore I am also going to make small apartments for them to rent. I also want to open up gas stations, and my ultimate goal is to open up a hotel in a tourist area. It might sound stupid but I picture myself walking through my hotel just saying good morning to all my guest :joyful:. I want to be a billionaire but at the same time help my country. I want to help out a really poor town and give them jobs. My ultimate but sort of unrealistic goal is to be the first women president to help out my whole country not just pieces of it. But I guess the problem with me is that I am unrealistic as you can see I dream big. But im not saying this is all impossible because I know myself and when I really want something badly I get it. In conclusion my question is this am I being unrealistic should I stay here in the USA go to college and then take my life from there or should I just get started on my dream. Should I move to Mexico and start a small business and then make it grow and see how it goes. I know that both decisions are going to require hard work and im ready for any obstacle but I have two different paths that I can take. So what do you guys think I should do? :bored:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.