The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where in Europe is best value for an extended vacation?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Looking into going to Europe in july-sept. Want to go somewhere that's on the coast, is safe, has things to do for a 30 year old guy and $2000-2500/mo goes a good way (w rent included) I speak Russian and a bit of Spanish.

Let's hear it from people who've done it. @GlobalWealth appreciate your input.

Possible locations so far:

Budva Montenegro.
Croatian cost if not too expensive.
Greece

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 15, 2013
Barcelona for sure.

The city has a lot of things.
Great nightclubs, cheap mojitos, nice weather, nice beaches, beautiful and friendly girls, easy to fix that green smoking stuff (if your into that sort of thing :) ), many tourist things as well. And 2000/2500 should be more than enough.

When I lived there (about 7 months ago) my monthly budget was around 1500/month including apartment with friend. But we lived in the "old" part of town so the apartments was cheaper.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Hmm I know Barcelona is the default destination for tourism. I am surprised you were able to do it on 1500! How much were the clubs/drinks? Did you eat out often? Is there a lot of cultural stuff to do?

Madrid intrigues me but not on the coast.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
It really depends on what you want.

If you like nature go to Scotland, Iceland or Scandinavia. No language problems there and tons of water.

Going for culture, go for Amsterdam or Berlin. In Amsterdam they speak better English than in San Francisco in my experience.

If you like breathtaking landscapes near the coast go to Tuscany in Italy. That's to the north of Rome.

If you like beaches, going out late and meeting a lot of young people go to the Spanish costa's, the Costa del Sol and Costa Brava. (South and east coast).

Croatia, Italy on the Adriatic Sea and the Greek islands are very charming as well.

I would avoid France, mainland Germany, the Alpine countries and eastern Europe. They are too far inland.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
+1 on Barecelona. Awesome place, cheap too. Stayed in a awesome spot for like $90/night, would've easily been 400+ anywhere else.

I hear good things about Warsaw as well, and Greece ofc ;) But I don't know what you're risk threshold is Lol

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 15, 2013
Hmm I know Barcelona is the default destination for tourism. I am surprised you were able to do it on 1500! How much were the clubs/drinks? Did you eat out often? Is there a lot of cultural stuff to do?

Madrid intrigues me but not on the coast.

About the price. You need to act the opposite as an tourist if you want to get away with a low monthly cost. We cooked much of our food at home, bought beers in the store and pre-party with other at their apartments. But we did a lot of fun stuff like hire bikes and took a day just biking around, looking at stuff. But yeah, if your going to eat out every night and only buy drinks at the club, then 1500 isn't enough.

But because I was sharing an apartment with a friend, we got away much cheaper in rent.
Didn't do to much cultural stuff to be honest.

But anyway, great place to visit.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/barcelona-spain they have some calculated prices on things.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I third Barcelona. Lived there for 3 years and never got bored once. There's the beaches nearby to the north and south of the city, hiking possibilities in Tibidabo and endless activities in the city itself. Bars, restaurants, architecture, you name it. Excellent public transportation and perfect weather. Also very affordable for European standards.

Still missing that place every single day!

G

Guest12120

I hear good things about Warsaw as well,
Warsaw is awesome and still pretty cheap. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I'll be happy to help.

I went on a short trip to Barcelona this month to see a Champions League game (amazing!). It's probably my favorite city. Love it! Not as cheap as Eastern Europe but not super expensive either.

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
Are you looking for a place for all of July through Sept or just one month during that time period? July and August are quite a bit more expensive by the sea obviously but don't let that discourage you.

I'll be in Greece all summer and then probably somewhere in the balkans until mid October for visa and cost reasons.

The balkans are hard to beat value wise and you have both the Adriatic and black sea to choose from.

Don't let the news about the greek "crisis" discourage you either. It's pretty much business as usual here but prices are down noticably from a few years ago.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Are you lookin

g for a place for all of July through Sept or just one month during that time period? July and August are quite a bit more expensive by the sea obviously but don't let that discourage you.

I'll be in Greece all summer and then probably somewhere in the balkans until mid October for visa and cost reasons.

The balkans are hard to beat value wise and you have both the Adriatic and black sea to choose from.

Don't let the news about the greek "crisis" discourage you either. It's pretty much business as usual here but prices are down noticably from a few years ago.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Just some background -I've lived in Montreal and Chicago. Now living close to Miami but in a smaller city. So I want not something crazy but cozy and with things to do place. (especially with lots of 25-30s people)

I am looking for 2 months or possibly 3. Where in balkans would you recommend. Culture - things to discover, Entertainment - variety of clubs, live shows, Safety - going on hikes, walking around the city, those would be top 3 priorities.

How long can you stay in Greece without getting bored?

zerobrainwash

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 20, 2015
Baltics
I'm biased here but I would give Baltic States a chance too. They are warm during the summer, cost is very cheap, food is high quality, beer is delicious and girls are fantastic. If you have never been to Europe, then Spain and other Western countries will be amazing too and will probably provide enough of a culture shock to be entertaining. But Eastern Europe has its own charm which is best to be experience directly. But anyhow, it really depends on what you are looking for. For that budget going to Canary Islands is also a very viable option and you will be able to surf all day every day.

Someone mentioned going to Scandinavia here. With budget like that good luck living in any Scandinavian countries unless you like potatoes and rice a lot, and are planning to stay in your apartment for most of the time.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
went to both Barcelona and Greece last summer.

Barcelona is affordable if you cook your own meals, and maybe split rent with another person. Clubs/nightlife is awesome (similar feel to Miami), tons of stuff to do and see.

Greek islands are cool also. Stayed at a sick hotel for 25 euros a night, beautiful beaches, girls, clubs, cheap food, etc. Only thing is Wifi sucks on some of the islands.

Can't really go wrong with either, although Barca is the better choice IMO

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Happy to see Scotland mentioned but good luck with that budget.

If it was me it would be Barcelona. Start off in hostels and you'll meet people from all over the world.

G

GuestUser140

Greek islands are cool also. Stayed at a sick hotel for 25 euros a night, beautiful beaches, girls, clubs, cheap food, etc. Only thing is Wifi sucks on some of the islands.

I need that info.

Most of the "sick" hotels over there are 250-800 EUR/night afaik

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I need that info.

Most of the "sick" hotels over there are 250-800 EUR/night afaik

yeah, it all depends on which island you visit. I got deals in Ios and Corfu.

For places like Mykonos/Santorini, your paying top dollar because that is where most tourists/couples go.

Stema

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 1, 2015
I defentivly recommend Croatia, its cheap, the people are very friendly, the coast is awsome and you can have good parties as well.

But since you are longer in Europe i would go on a road trip. To experiences as many places as possible.
I also like France (mediterranean coast is great) around Marseille and Monaco. And if you need some waves the Atlantic is not far as well...
neg. ,the french dont like to speak english, and its not that cheap than croatia.
Italy has also great coast lines around Genoa, but from my experience its not the safes place in Europe.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Croatia.
I go back as often as I can.
$3 pints of Stella at the bar. Cheap food. Cheap accommodations. Beautiful women.
It's Europe's best-kept secret.

I know a place ike Dubrovnic has become a tourist trap. Perhaps living outside of the old city is managable. What cities do you recommend the most?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Croatian cost if not too expensive.

Croatia is quite cheap, great beaches, but boring after a short time.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I'm biased here but I would give Baltic States a chance too. They are warm during the summer, cost is very cheap, food is high quality, beer is delicious and girls are fantastic.

Agreed. I've lived in the Baltics for about 6 years now. Summer weather is nice, great outdoor activities. Very low cost of living, great local beer...and oh yeah. Best women in the world.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
One place not mentioned is Portugal coastline. There are many great small beach towns close to Lisbon. You can stay in Lisbon for nice nightlife and activities and be within short train ride of many beaches. Really cheap and amazing food.

G

GuestUser140

Agreed. I've lived in the Baltics for about 6 years now. Summer weather is nice, great outdoor activities. Very low cost of living, great local beer...and oh yeah. Best women in the world.
Now we're waiting on a breakdown of Estonia vs Latvia vs Lithuania. :)

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Budva, I recommand everyone. Went there last year and I will go back this year.

Reasons? Beautiful nature in the area, interesting culture and historical buildings, nice beaches with mostly good weather, super hot girls and pretty good nightlife. Oh, and of course burek!

Burek_trokut_3.png

I go back this year because I expect Montenegro to be the next Croatia in a few years. Right now there are a lot of Eastern European tourists, but it's about the change. Just make sure you get your change back when ordering a drink and always take a taxi with a license plate that starts with "T".

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
One place not mentioned is Portugal coastline. There are many great small beach towns close to Lisbon. You can stay in Lisbon for nice nightlife and activities and be within short train ride of many beaches. Really cheap and amazing food.

OK I played around on living expenses site linked above and BARCA and Madrid are about same, lisbon is about 15% cheaper. Sounds right to you? I figure if I go that way I'd visit both anyway. So it's between that area and Croatia right now. From people polled here and inrl it's a very even split! Thing Is I want to go for a few months, and if I went Croatia it'd be Budva, and maybe a trip to Moldova or Romania. Not sure how that goes with nightlife and girls and safety. The other option is Spain Portugal with a possible few day trip to Paris.

Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal

I can vouch for Portugal, specially from May to September, sunny, cheap and beautiful :) Oh, and there's Wi-Fi everywhere

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
You mentioned you speak some Russian and want someplace with girls and nightlife. I know Montenegro gets tons of Russian tourists in the summer so your language skills would be an asset there. As far as nightlife, no place tops the Balkans. I can't tell you how many nights I haven't made it home before the sun was up.

Which place are you more excited about? Barcelona is one of my favorite cities, but even being on the coast it just doesn't feel like summer to me there. I just had some friends from the US visit here in Greece and his wife said that she liked Greece, but still preferred San Diego. To each their own. Everybody has a place that will fit their style and vibe better. You just have to decide where that is for you.

And ultimately, if you get someplace and aren't thrilled with it you just go somewhere else. Keep some flexibility in your plans.

I'll be in Greece until at least the end of July, then leaning heavily towards Montenegro for August and then maybe to Serbia or Romania for September if I've had enough of the sea by then. If you (or anyone else) end up coming out this way let me know.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You mentioned you speak some Russian and want someplace with girls and nightlife. I know Montenegro gets tons of Russian tourists in the summer so your language skills would be an asset there. As far as nightlife, no place tops the Balkans. I can't tell you how many nights I haven't made it home before the sun was up.

Which place are you more excited about? Barcelona is one of my favorite cities, but even being on the coast it just doesn't feel like summer to me there. I just had some friends from the US visit here in Greece and his wife said that she liked Greece, but still preferred San Diego. To each their own. Everybody has a place that will fit their style and vibe better. You just have to decide where that is for you.

And ultimately, if you get someplace and aren't thrilled with it you just go somewhere else. Keep some flexibility in your plans.

I'll be in Greece until at least the end of July, then leaning heavily towards Montenegro for August and then maybe to Serbia or Romania for September if I've had enough of the sea by then. If you (or anyone else) end up coming out this way let me know.

Thanks for the offer, and yeah, I have a friend going to Rome and was wondering what it'd take to come see her. Apparently only $60 in airfare. That's so damn cheap after looking at what i have to pay to get over there in the first place. TBH i DONT want summer - the heat that is. I've had enough in south florida. So we've decided on Barcelona first, and then going from there. I have a feeling I'll end up visiting at least Budapest, it's beautiful and cheap, and like you said, nice club scene. Now I'm thinking of hiring someone on odesk to find a nice deal on a room for a few weeks, if anyone else has suggestions do let me know.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
If I wanted to find where my money stretched the best in any area, Id look into where all the digital nomads hang out at.

Filter this by the country/area you want to be in:
https://nomadlist.com/

These guys travel alot and look for the best places with the lowest cost of living.

Only take this advice IF you are looking to stretch your money. If you are needing other things, that list might not work for you.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
If I wanted to find where my money stretched the best in any area, Id look into where all the digital nomads hang out at.

Filter this by the country/area you want to be in:
https://nomadlist.com/

These guys travel alot and look for the best places with the lowest cost of living.

Only take this advice IF you are looking to stretch your money. If you are needing other things, that list might not work for you.
So im looking at the site, besides the general overview prices list, I don't see anything else at all? How do I get into the "meat" of the discussion of the particular city?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.