The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I just mention how awful this job market is?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No ones afraid to fail. I said I can't afford too.

You go to work during the day, and then work some more on yourself at night. Now you can afford to fail.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Yes, if machining and tooling appeals to you, GO FOR IT. There are VERY few candidates for a LOT of positions. All the hours you want to work. Good pay. Good benefits. Can read and study while waiting on the machine run to complete. We need you! There are paid apprenticeships available. Hit up the local tech school. Call any production plant in your area. Go by the local machine shop and offer to sweep the floor. Hell of a lot of jobs and a great career in this area!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I started down my fastlane path at 20yrs old (about 8 years ago) when I was told by a mentor that I should get into sales because of the life-long skills I would develop and the unlimited potential. I took his advice.

After 2 months and about 5k in credit card debt later I would find myself at a gas station and only $4 to my name to pay for gas to get home, mostly quarters. Humiliated I walked in and paid. I broke down that day and made myself a promise that I'd never be in that position again.

From that day forward I began hustling as hard as I could and had a constant desire to improve myself. I started seeing more and more success the more that I learned and the more I failed and learned from the failures.

I was soon making consistently more every year and building great habits along the way. I was smashing my sales goals and started making 100k+/year.

This year, based on what I feel is due to a solid foundation of my habits I built and hustle, I hit what I've always dreamed of, financial independence--not having to work if I choose not to. I'm thankful I kept pushing otherwise I might not be where I'm at today.

Out of the ashes of a thread like this comes a post that has a chance to change somebody's life.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
If it's a slow lane job you want that pays a good salary before your venture without school debt your on the wrong forum.

However I will tell step by step how to.

1. Go on amazon and buy the comptia A+ study guide for $35.

2. Study your a$$ off. Do free online practice questions.

3. Pass the A+ certification. Make sure you keep practicing after you take the exam so you retain the information.

4. Move to the metro Atlanta area. You can find a room in someone's house for $300.

5. Get on career builder and search for things like "field tech" or "A+". You'll find tons of people that will pay you 15+/hr to go out on small contract jobs. These jobs last hours to months so they don't require much more than an A+ and companies are desperate for them (since most good techs have better positions) and will hire anyone off the street.

6. Do these jobs until you build up a resume. This counts as experience.

7. Once you have around 6 months of experience start looking for help desk or desktop positions. These can start between 35-45k. Desktop is way less stressful since your not answering phones but much harder to find.

Then you'll get stuck looking at those 80k jobs on servers or networking since your comfortable and start saving up your 401k.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
But when will those fields be saturated as well? When will the majority of those jobs start to only recruit from prestigious schools? Minimum experience

I dunno if I've said it on here before, or it just feels like it because I say it so often.

Why do petroleum engineers, 999 times out of 1000, make more than art history majors?

Because the line between the knowledge the degree imparted and the value delivered to another person is short, straight, and swift, and the barrier to starting on the path is high. A philosophy major or an art major might find work as an editor, or a columnist, or a bank teller... eventually. But a doctor or an engineer or a computer scientist, the in-demand careers, they are trained aggressively to do a very limited subset of things, things that are hard and painful to learn how to do (entry), but that people really, really, really want or need (make the next iPad, save their lives).

In reality, the world of entrepreneurship isn't like a quantum universe to the Newtonian one of the job market. They both function on the same set of five fundamental forces (man, this turned into one nerdy-a$$ analogy), CENTS.

CONTROL-The engineer and doctor. There are few people who can do what they do. They may even own their own firms or practices, but they compete with few, and are compensated accordingly.

ENTRY-Differential Equations and Anatomy and Physiology are harder courses than Creative Writing and Sociology:The politics of Race. Sorry, I've taken all those courses, so I can say pretty objectively that there's a reason why the hard sciences have such a spectacular kill rate in year 1.

NEED-What do you need more, a painting that looks like a Rorschach blot, or gas to get your car to work on time? This is why the artist typically makes lattes while the chemical engineer typically makes bank.

TIME-STEM people are some of the most heavily indentured wage slaves. Sure, they make 4-10x as much as the sociology degree barista every year, but the Joneses at the hospital have big houses, lavish vacations, and soul-sucking payments on high 5-figure cars to keep up with. They work like dogs most of the time. But there's magnitude here, so they don't do it for naught. They might not shower for three days when their new prototype is due to drop at the trade show, but they make $75/hr while they're on the clock.

SCALE-STEM careers often bomb this too pretty hard too, but many wake up because of the degree of slavery in the "T" category and start their own firms, practices, etc. They're really smart. They see that the guy signing the authorization for their new system or owning the factory that makes the pills is driving an Aventador while they settle for an non-AMG S-Class. They see that the guy who owns the app company is planning to retire at 29 while they're looking at working till they're 59. They see it, and they want in.

So it's not a mystery. TMF explains the "job crisis" just as well as it does how real estate billionaires made their dough. When you go to college, if you eschew asking yourself "what do I love to do" and instead ask "what will allow me to make the maximum amount that other people want?" you'll have a job right away.

The need for coders, doctors, engineers, and chemists might eventually slow down, but only after they've healed all your diseases and programmed a robot to make you unemployed. It'll be a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Read this earlier and thought of this thread. @Achilles, If you're going to get a job, do it with an entrepreneur mindset. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/245844

TL;DR: "One key difference to finding new employment fast [is] the ability to add value -- and show it."

1. Identify the type of job you want.
Choose the type of work, what the job description looks like, what the working environment is, and a compensation package.

2. Identify the company you want to work for.
This company may or may not have an open position for a job like the one you’ve identified, but if they don’t then you can see that they need one.

3. Identify an opportunity to add value at this company.
If you were thinking of starting a new business, this would be “the idea.” You’re just doing the same thing but within an existing business.

4. Create a written plan as to how you would deliver this value.
Put together spreadsheets, tables, charts, a presentation -- you may never show them to anyone else, but it will be helpful for you.

5. Contact the right person.
Find the person at the company who would be interested in your plan, and customize it for them

6. Get a meeting to present your plan.
This presentation may be a two-minute conversation, or a two-hour presentation in a board room. Be prepared for both.

Last edited:

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Whatever it takes to be successful fellas I'll do it. I really appreciate all the responses. Idk where my head would be if I didn't pick up this book and look up this forum.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Caddying is actually a pretty unique opportunity. You're carrying around rich people's bags. Why don't you get to know a few of them and ask if there is any way you can help them (for free, even) in whatever it is that make them wealthy enough to afford caddies and middle-of-the-week golf. Maybe learn some basic internet marketing (adwords)/social media management skills and offer them for free to these guys in exchange for the experience.

You're going to get a much more positive response from this group if you say "Mr. Richperson said his dental practice is doing great, but they don't do much internet marketing and don't have a facebook page. Does anyone here know how I can help this guy?"

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Caddying is actually a pretty unique opportunity. You're carrying around rich people's bags. Why don't you get to know a few of them and ask if there is any way you can help them (for free, even) in whatever it is that make them wealthy enough to afford caddies and middle-of-the-week golf. Maybe learn some basic internet marketing (adwords)/social media management skills and offer them for free to these guys in exchange for the experience.

You're going to get a much more positive response from this group if you say "Mr. Richperson said his dental practice is doing great, but they don't do much internet marketing and don't have a facebook page. Does anyone here know how I can help this guy?"
Good idea. Problem is many of the members come from old money. And they actually look at caddies like myself as less than human.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Whatever it takes to be successful fellas I'll do it. I really appreciate all the responses. Idk where my head would be if I didn't pick up this book and look up this forum.

Will you? Or do you say you will? When you wake up tomorrow, are you actually going to do something, or are you going to keep saying "Once I get a good paying job...", "Once I get that promotion...", etc. etc. etc. The first step to being successful is actually doing a damn thing.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Good idea. Problem is many of the members come from old money. And they actually look at caddies like myself as less than human.
Well maybe it's incumbent on you to be more interesting than the typical caddy.

"Beautiful day today Mr. Richperson. Sure beats staring a computer screen - I've been setting up adwords campaigns for clients non-stop. Happy to have a side job like this to pay the bills while I get my agency off the ground. Oh...I recommend the 7-iron here."

Last edited:

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Will you? Or do you say you will? When you wake up tomorrow, are you actually going to do something, or are you going to keep saying "Once I get a good paying job...", "Once I get that promotion...", etc. etc. etc. The first step to being successful is actually doing a damn thing.
No I'm actually gonna take action tomorrow after I double bag a loop. I'm gonna lose my mind if I caddy all summer and I wont last. I'm not one of those people who can just eat the bullshit and get treated like shit all day and keep smilin. Knowing that is why taking action is a necessity and all that matters

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia

If I had a dollar for every excuse you come up with, I wouldn't need a Fastlane Business. Stop making excuses! What the hell kind of logic is that?

"Talk to the golfers! You drive them around, give them clubs, talk to them while in the golf cart, while eating lunch, etc"
"Nah, they've always been rich, their fathers and grandfathers were rich too. And they don't respect caddies as much as other golfers"

What the hell! I thought you'd do anything to be successful, and then three posts later you say you can't even speak to the golfers? Want it, go get it, because AN OPPORTUNITY WILL NOT FALL INTO YOUR LAP! You have to reach out and get it. You could easily figure out something one golfer has, then turns out many golfers have that problem, and boom you have a fastlane business. Stop waiting for everything to fall into your lap, you actually have to work, step out of your comfort zone and TRY! No more waiting around, if you truly want to make it, TAKE IT!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
No I'm actually gonna take action tomorrow after I double bag a loop. I'm gonna lose my mind if I caddy all summer and I wont last. I'm not one of those people who can just eat the bullshit and get treated like shit all day and keep smilin. Knowing that is why taking action is a necessity and all that matters
You're going to need to exercise your discipline, creativity, and humble muscles before you start achieving success. You're in the company of successful people on the golf course - be grateful that you're not delivering flowers and take advantage of the situation!

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Well maybe it's incumbent on you to be more interesting than the typical caddy.

"Beautiful day today Mr. Richperson. Sure beats starting a computer screen - I've been setting up adwords campaigns for clients non-stop. Happy to have a side job like this to pay the bills while I get my agency off the ground. Oh...I recommend the 7-iron here."
Lol good advice. I'm gonna give it my best effort to develop some kind of a relationship. I don't meet to many people who can put down 200k+ on an private club initial fee so I can't kill opportunities

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Lol good advice. I'm gonna give it my best effort to develop some kind of a relationship. I don't meet to many people who can put down 200k+ on an private club initial fee so I can't kill opportunities
Just keep in mind that the goal is not to achieve a 100% success rate. If you come across as "how can I squeeze a job/money out of you" it will be an immediate turnoff. Instead, chat them up a little, learn a little about them, take a genuine interest in their background and offer to help or connect them to people you know (ie the collective "forum").

So if they say their dad is rich and he is a trust fund baby, say "I happen to know a guy who does off shore asset protection. Want me to hook you guys up?"

If they say "I'm a dentist" than say "how's the practice going? Have you thought about growing the business? I know some guys who are killer local internet marketers."

Get the drift?

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
If I had a dollar for every excuse you come up with, I wouldn't need a Fastlane Business. Stop making excuses! What the hell kind of logic is that?

"Talk to the golfers! You drive them around, give them clubs, talk to them while in the golf cart, while eating lunch, etc"
"Nah, they've always been rich, their fathers and grandfathers were rich too. And they don't respect caddies as much as other golfers"

What the hell! I thought you'd do anything to be successful, and then three posts later you say you can't even speak to the golfers? Want it, go get it, because AN OPPORTUNITY WILL NOT FALL INTO YOUR LAP! You have to reach out and get it. You could easily figure out something one golfer has, then turns out many golfers have that problem, and boom you have a fastlane business. Stop waiting for everything to fall into your lap, you actually have to work, step out of your comfort zone and TRY! No more waiting around, if you truly want to make it, TAKE IT!
Come on Brian appreciate the help but plz stop putting words in my mouth. Who in gods name said I can't speak to golfers? Stop reading into it. I've been playing golf my whole life and I caddied for two summers. This isn't new.

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Just keep in mind that the goal is not to achieve a 100% success rate. If you come across as "how can I squeeze a job/money out of you" it will be an immediate turnoff. Instead, chat them up a little, learn a little about them, take a genuine interest in their background and offer to help or connect them to people you know (ie the collective "forum").

So if they say their dad is rich and he is a trust fund baby, say "I happen to know a guy who does off shore asset protection. Want me to hook you guys up?"

If they say "I'm a dentist" than say "how's the practice going? Have you thought about growing the business? I know some guys who are killer local internet marketers."

Get the drift?
Thanks throttle. Not gonna let any opportunity slip. Worst comes to worst I develop my conversation skills

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Very good point. Who knows maybe a week from know I can connect someone to you guys

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Come on Brian appreciate the help but plz stop putting words in my mouth. Who in gods name said I can't speak to golfers? Stop reading into it. I've been playing golf my whole life and I caddied for two summers. This isn't new.

Then why are you afraid to talk to them? "Problem is........" I hope you have success, but I'm just getting the feeling that you'll talk and give up whenever it get's hard because you're not taking the easy steps. There's no magic formula, you just have to do something.

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
Then why are you afraid to talk to them? "Problem is........" I hope you have success, but I'm just getting the feeling that you'll talk and give up whenever it get's hard because you're not taking the easy steps. There's no magic formula, you just have to do something.
Not sure where I said Im afraid. Thanks for reading too much into it again. I appreciate every response in this thread. Peace.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Its funny your chosen forum name is Achilles. He thought he was invincible and didnt realize his own weaknesses either. You complain you have no money, no opportunity and no options. Yet you surround yourself with "old" money . Old money tends to spend itself ie: $200k golf club fees. @BigBrianC brings up some good points and you dismiss them because its "too hard" . You can sit here and reply to every comment someone makes or you can take action. Life happens when you live it. I've been a hustler since I was a kid slinging papers on sunday mornings. Worked as a waiter through high school and for 10 years after. Why? because I made $50k a year serving drinks and burgers. It wasn't glorious , it wasn't beneath me either. I used it to build connections and relationships. The service industry spawns more entrepreneurs and small businesses than most that I have seen. Why? Because you get fed up being the little guy and take the risks necessary to accomplish your goals. Risk of failure has a way of forcing you to find the niche you belong in and to exploit it. Some of the most efficient salesman I've ever known were drug dealers. Why? They had to make sure they made enough to keep bail money around. The risk of failure pushed them to be better than the next guy. I dont condone the practice or use of drugs but one can appreciate the hustle.

Talk to the golfers. Find a need and find the solution . Everyone has problems, rich people tend to have significantly more. They wont trust just anybody. Build a relationship and gain their trust. You would be surprised at how fast word spreads in a community if you can fulfill a need in a way they trust you to do it. Trust builds businesses .

You've got a lot to learn about drive and desire. When you truly are flat broke with nothing to cushion the fall you will surprise yourself what you can do to make money to get by. Life has a funny way of making us better people in the low times so we can appreciate the good times. Find a need and fill it. Stop complaining . Stop the woe is me attitude . Opportunity is there if you have the desire to find it. And stop asking other people to make your life choices for you. The only reason people do that is so they dont feel responsible when it all goes to crap.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
I can't afford to fail. Do you know of a process that can be determined successful before taking risk

This post stood out to me in your thread most of all.

Being afraid to fail is being afraid to truly learn. Being afraid to learn prevents your ability to grow.

What I am getting at is that you will still learn when you succeed at something, but you will learn more and perfect your approach to life when you fail at something. If you can't afford to fail then you don't deserve the spoils of success. Risk takers who put in the extra effort without blaming their circumstances are the ones who deserve it.

You really just need to drop the victim mentality.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Can we please reintroduce the -Rep button?

Maybe with a funny twist like this:

2015-05-21_1057.png

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
You are the opposite of Achiles lol :)

On a more serious note, there's really not much more that can be added here, tons of awesome advice. There's no reason why you can't start something on the side and weekends like MOST people around here are probably doing. It's not difficult at all to pull 4 hours a night and 10-12 on the weekends.

Your caddy job is awesome like the others mentioned to network with entrepreneurs, business owners, execs, etc are you kidding, I wish I had a caddy job when I was in school.

Regarding the topic of schooling, I got my degree and even until this day I would never have changed that decision. I learnt a lot in school and it got me to where I am today so I'm grateful I went to school. I also busted my a$$ on weekends and in the summer doing construction so I had 0 debt and paid my school cash on my own with no help from anyone. That was one of my mandates, to ensure I wasn't going to come out of school in debt. Most students are lazy as shit, they move away to some party school, rack up loans with housing, tuition, books, partying, etc and then after 4-5 years they cry like fkn pussies omg I can't get a job and I'm in 100k in debt lol funny shit. Be responsible people.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Excuses = wasting everyone's time
Action = change for your situation

What 10 specific things will you do next to change your situation?

Then go do them to prove you are not a whining excuse maker. [sidewalk.jpg]

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Excuses = wasting everyone's time
Action = change for your situation

What 10 specific things will you do next to change your situation?

Then go do them to prove you are not a whining excuse maker. [sidewalk.jpg]
Bump

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.