The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freedom & Success by 25 years old.. My journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and stumbled upon it when looking for successful entrepreneurship forums. I saw a lot of great progress threads on here which inspired me to join and start a thread of my own. I'll try to keep this relatively neat and organized so you can all follow:

(IF YOU CHOOSE TO SKIP THE BACKGROUND STORY AND JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON NOW, PLEASE SKIP TO THE "ABOUT ME" SECTION)

My Journey thus far

It was 2011 and I had just graduated high school.. Thank goodness. Years of getting pushed around were finally over. My weak physical structure screamed as an outward manifestation of my inner emotional state. I was weak, my life was in shambles, and I knew it. So many questions ran through my head as I graduated, and I couldn't answer a single one.

"What is the meaning of life?" "What are my next steps?" "Where do I go to college?" "Do I go to college?" "What do I do with my time?" "Who do I spend my time with, and how are they impacting my decision making?"

These questions echoed in my head as I headed off to community college. Let's go back a few years prior to this and see what blur of a direction I was headed in..

The start of a business

When I was around 14, 15 years old I was addicted to video games. They were an easy escape from the insecurities I fought with on a daily basis in reality, so why not just stare at a computer screen all day and live in a reality where I was more successful than the world I actually lived in?

The video game addiction became so bad, I was actually hallucinating that I was playing when I would try to sleep. My dreams were consumed by video games, and I was fearing for my life. By a matter of chance, I stumbled upon a life coach on Yahoo Answers who broke down a lot of my structures and patterns, and after several years and thousands of emails later, I was starting to grasp the roots of my problem, and I quit video gaming, on and off, until I quit entirely a few years later.

I was 16, 17 years old and was looking for a job. That's what my parents encouraged, and that's what everyone does, right? So I started venturing around my town and throwing out applications. Who wanted to hire a kid with no work experience though?

(I tried finding my old resume I stumbled upon the other day, but I can't find it now.. it looked something like this)

My resume:

Chris is a hardworking ambitious person seeking employment blabla

-High School- Current Sophomore
Honors, 2010

--

So upon talking to my 'life coach' for the past few years, he told me "Why don't you START a business?"
Start a business? Me? I had plenty of excuses why I shouldn't and at the end of the arguments with my coach, it was time to start the business.

"What business?" "What do I know?" "What can I do?"

And at last, Chris's Lawn Care was born, using my dad's lawn push mower, some printed business cards made in paint, and a lot of heart for a 16/17 year old.. I started knocking door to door, and was quickly met with rejection, just like the job applications. Finally, people were starting to see that I was THE ONLY kid out on the street knocking on doors offering lawn service. Finally, one day when speaking to a gentleman down the road who was mowing his lawn for exercise, he gave me a few words of wisdom and said people were taking notice of my initiative. Another lady I had spoken to a few days before was walking by with her children, and the older gentleman who was mowing his lawn for exercise stopped her to talk. It was there that I made my first sale, and for $7.50 an hour, I began Chris's Lawn Care..

For the next 3 years, I would grow hungry to the idea that, working for myself, I could generate any amount of income that was only limited by my own sheer willpower.. From here I knew I wanted to go to school to learn how to run a business.

My journey thus far, continued...

I headed off to community college with many questions, and few answers. I knew I wanted to study business though, as I had been having some successes with cutting grass, and the idea of running your own show was really something that blew me away. I was never raised to believe I could one day run my own enterprise.. I was always brought up with the idea that you work for somebody else, enslaved, and then, you hope to make enough of a living to retire...

Around this time before graduating high school, my resume was beginning to beef up nicely as I was able to add the many perks of 'running my own business' (Lawn Care) to it.. and I was able to land a local sales job. With the combination of lawn care and being a sales associate, I could afford to work my way through community college, and that's exactly what I did...

The Sales Job
It didn't take long for me to realize working for someone else can be a real pain, especially when you're enslaved to the set-wage and expectations of others. I often found myself working significantly harder than my peers, who seemed to get by with the same amount of money as I with half the effort. It infuriated me, and it made me work harder in school, and at my job, to stand out and be exceptional. It drove me to be more successful in my lawn business, and it drove me to want to be EXTRAordinary.

It wasn't long before I was caught up in the bullsht in the day to day work environment, surrounded by drama and poor work ethic from my peers. I learned a lot of lessons by working as a sales associate, and many of them spoke to my aspirations for running a business.

I was constantly degraded by shitty management and made to feel like I was worthless to the company. You learn that the people in management don't have much of their own personal shit together, so it's very hard to get anywhere when the people leading you are actually behind you.. Some managers took my work ethic into consideration, while others continued to shit on me. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, as I would put in a significant amount of effort and would continue to be treated like crap with the work load constantly increasing on me as others continued to cruise by with the same week to week paycheck.

Eventually, my lawn care business picked up enough (with my own efforts and initiatives) that I gave my two weeks notice and was OUT. Time to work for MYSELF... Besides, I was making three times the amount of money with half the amount of time put into work.

Community College
I didn't have the grades to apply anywhere else, so community college it was when I graduated. I look back on community college now as an "I wish I had applied myself earlier to bypass community college and get on with my life, but I did learn a whole lot about life and myself during this time.."

I looked back at my high school, middle school, and elementary school days and laughed when I sat in my community college classes. Every step-up was supposed to be the 'real deal' and 'they won't tolerate that when you move on to X' - All of the shit my teachers preached was nothing but talk. Community College classes seemed to be just as much of a joke as high school, except you could get up and leave whenever the hell you wanted.

Around this same time, I was continuing my path of personal development on the side, often reading powerful, inspirational books while talking to my coach / mentor through our many emails as my life began to unfold. Many of the people in my college classes didn't give two shits about school or their life in general, so it wasn't very difficult to stand out.

I remember my first class being college writing and I was surrounded by a mix of 18-60 year old classmates with poverty mindsets of despair and discourage. I was baffled at the fact that even the 60 year old would see his life as a death sentence of misery leading up to the point of their own dismissal from this planet. I vividly remember writing a paper that I was relating life-concepts to, and the discussion opened to the class. The 60 or so year old gentleman stated he was a drummer, and music was his passion, but he 'couldn't make it in life' just by pursuing music, and that's why he was in school. I quickly intervened with words of wisdom, relating to Steve Jobs or a Bill Gates, guys who dropped out of college, pursued their passions, and succeeded. The older gentleman in the class snapped back with a quick response, stating "Nobody coming out of (the city we were in) is going to be the next fking steve jobs"

That memory sticks with me to this day, and from that point on, I was driven to be *That guy* who comes out of *That city* as the next super-successful entrepreneur..

Many other community college experiences ranged from the same shit in high school, to a lack of attention in the classroom from the majority. I remember a group of kids in my accounting class would come in baked, 10 minutes late, every single day. I knew it wouldn't take much to stand out, so I stuck my head down and worked my a$$ off.

I later discovered a few 'successful' students, or so I thought. I stumbled upon a group of senators, and these guys seemed to be making an impact and had their shit together. I became a peer mentor, hoping to enlighten some upcoming students on how to make good life choices... whatever I thought that was at the time.

Later I come to find out, the head of the mentors is a depressive man having a mid life crisis, and the remainder of the senate guys are too caught up on chasing women and getting drunk partying on weekends to truly understand life.

I had gone from looking up to these guys, to them looking up to me, as I quickly gained traction in the few activities I picked up at community college, and I began to get to the top of my class.

I later joined the honors program and did meet several highly intelligent individuals who would graduate alongside me. I continued on with the honors program, helped people out as a peer mentor, and ran some student seminars. I graduated highest honors, community service leader, honors society, honors program graduate, and had many awards that followed.

It wasn't hard when the bar was set so low by my peers.. I simply went above and beyond in everything I did, and I was able to graduate in the top percentile of my class. What do I do from here? I felt as if many of the business classes helped me out with 'running a business', but they didn't echo the voice of running an enterprise that I truly wanted. I mean, sure the accounting classes helped me book keep for lawn care, but did I really want to cut grass or just 'work for myself' forever in a job that made me decent money but didn't fulfill my deep rooted core of wanting to contribute as a human being...

The Lawn Business

The lawn business was great as I grew from making $7.50 an hour from my first client, to determining my own rates and not having much of a problem finding clients. Word of mouth spread quickly as I was able to compete with top lawn companies in the area with my lack of overhead and my work ethic. Word of mouth and the continuous door to door and advertisement campaign grew enough so that I didn't even have time to work my sales job any longer, so I quit. Eventually, I had enough capital to invest in equipment, and I purchased a truck, trailer, rider, weed wacker, etc, in cash. The following year, I worked with over 15 clients, and had worked with over 25 clients through my 3 years of running the business. I decided to transfer from my community college to a four year business school to continue my education, so that summer I ran the lawn care business, and then I retired it. I sold off all of my equipment, accounts, etc, and prepared my way to the next venture.

The struggle after community college

My parents didn't go to college. In fact, they advocated against it. "College's steal your money".
Before I graduated community college, I had to decide on what was next for me. I did my research and applied to 3 schools, with one of them really standing out in my mind. The first college accepted me within a few weeks with a decent scholarship to go with it. The second college accepted me, and the third and main college I saw myself at, sent me a rejection letter.

It was at this same time I had another mentor at community college advocating for me. "Why was one of my best students rejected?"

He actually took the effort to calling the school and finding out WHY... "What if another student of mine is a high performer and wants to transfer to your school? What's the missing piece of the puzzle youre looking for?"
Turns out I didn't 'meet their curriculum requirements in the math department, as they were revamping their curriculum. Turns out they didn't know I had doubled up in statistics that summer to finish my degree requirements and to finish my transfer process. A few days later, I received a phone call and I was in.

But not that easily..

Financial aid was a huge component. I had decided I'd be living on campus, mainly because my parents advocated against it. I figured "why would I spend a bunch of money commuting and waste a bunch of time just driving when I can live on campus?" - My brother didn't agree, as he used to commute to school / work every single day instead of just living on campus or getting an apartment. I remember talking to my life coach / mentor and tallying up how much money he spent on gas and being at risk on the highway, and the math was clear that I should live on campus.

(I learned the many other benefits to living on campus later..)

So I received my financial aid package, and there was about $40,000 I'd need to come up with, and I had about 1/4th of that. And that was only year 1, i had two years to go..

What does every college student do? They get student loans. How? Through their parents.

Let me have that conversation with my parents...
About 4 presentations later with my parents and over 6 hours of discussion, the answer was a no. "We aren't risking our future for you." "There's no way in hell, figure it out another way" "Your brother did it without loans, you can figure it out"

Little did they realize my brother's path was very different from mine. It was quite similar to theirs, and that's why they loved it. He did community college and online courses. What kind of education was that? Well, it worked for him to get the career he wanted, but it wasn't going to work for me.. because i wasn't looking to work for someone else.

I built my case and prepared plan B. My case was to appeal the financial aid and get a better offer so that I could find a way to bootstrap my way to school (Bootstrap is a term meaning paying your own way through)

Plan B and my home scenario
Home life was less than ideal as I developed a more enlightened mindset through my life. I began to realize the negative impacts homelife had on me, as my parents would always complain about the news, their day, their jobs, their lives, the weather, the neighbor, the blablabla.. everything. As I began to realize my parents were caught up on "money brings you happiness" - I realized that wasn't the case, and there was no changing their complaining, or their beliefs.. All i knew was i had to get out , as it was a poison that was holding me back from my success, and slowly killing me.

Plan B was to go to my second choice school, about 30 minutes away from home, and live out of my car since I couldn't afford to live on campus. I figured i'd find a way, and I could always stop at my parents house for a shower here and there or to pack some meals and head to school. Hell, i could even couch surf, a good recommendation from my mentor/coach.

The turnout
I was able to have a successful financial appeal which helped, but didn't fulfill my mission, and it only helped for the first year, where I needed two years to graduate. After negotiating with my parents one last time, we came to a deal, a co-signing of a loan because my credit wasn't good enough to have it approved on my own, and I was able to finance my first year at this new college.

My expenses looked something like this:
College tuition: $60,000
Financial aid: $28,000
Student Loan in my name: $7500
Co-signed loan: $15,000
Cash: $9500

Yep, I still had to come up with about $10K in cash to pay that first year, and I needed two years to graduate.

Well, I figure if I can figure out year 1, i can figure out year 2..

The 10K I had, and I had been saving most of my young teenage life with the lawn business and sales job.. so I did what I had to do.. what mattered most was, I made it to the school that I wanted, that I felt would bring me the best ROI to setup my future of success.

One year later, with one year to go, I had successfully gotten an increase in my financial aid through an additional appeal, I received a scholarship through an alumni donor, I became a Resident Assistant so I could get free housing, and I made dean's list which offered an addition to my financial aid. In the meantime when I sold off my lawn equipment, I had enough cash to finance not just one year, but a second year (three years at this school, total)

The additional aid and free housing totaled out to a savings of $40,000 over the next two years of school if i chose to do an additional year to make it 3 years total..

I did eventually decide to do an extra year (2 years community college, 3 years at the new school) to make me a 5 year graduate. The numbers were, and are in my favor now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
About me

I am 21 years old and a college student in his 'senior year' .. although I am doing an additional year, which makes me a junior.

I completed my two years at community college, and am going to be doing 3 years at my transfer college.

I am in my 4th year out of 5 years total, so technically I am a first semester junior. I've been taking extra classes that INTEREST ME to slow my degree process so I can enjoy the love of learning rather than the rush to get to some corporate world or to graduate and get onto the path of slavery...

Over the years of my journey, i've compiled many notes from many mentors, and I've developed a philosophy very different from my upbringing. I've grown to envision myself successful in any industry I choose, and I see no limits as to what is achievable by myself or anybody. With the enlightenment i've been able to reach, i've realized many things.

First, 'owning a home' is not the #1 goal in my life, as it was for my entire family. I've seen owning a home as a trap. You buy a home and get a mortgage so you have a roof over your head that's close enough to your job, which you go to every day and HATE IT, but you do it because you want to pay off your home, so you can one day reach' retirement' which is a fallacy to begin with. It's a vicious cycle... and it's a CIRCLE.

I've realized retirement is a hoax. There probably won't be social security when i'm 65, 70, 80, or whatever they push retirement age to in the future. Besides, the biggest mistake you can make is living your life less than ideal NOW with the hopes that you can live the life you want LATER.

I've realized how negative impacting the world can be around you if you LET IT... and i've realized how to set the filters to lead me in a world of *I CAN's* rather than *I cannot's*. For example, I do not own a television, I do not watch television, I do not read the paper, the news, or anything. You can say i'm a bit disconnected... I still hear about the same shit you probably all do, however I choose to moderate how much and what I actually choose to listen to or not, and how long I choose to listen to it.. whether it be through social media or friends.

I've realized that we DEFINE our world. We can choose what to listen to and what to fill our minds with. We can choose to live in fear of EBOLA and terrorism and the police and all of this crap, or we can choose to understand the reality behind all of this fear... the math, the numbers, etc. And we can put ourselves in a world that we CHOOSE, rather than our lives running amok by the day to day fears of those around us.

I've also set up some 'structures' to my life, if you will. Things I want to get out of my short stay here, because the only thing we all have that is certain is death. We're all on a timer, we just don't realize it..

The things i've set out to DO, and achieve, as my greater goals are:

Financial Freedom
Locational Freedom
Contribution
Have the most fun

So what defines these categories?

Financial Freedom: My definition of this is, having enough money to live BEYOND your means.. in any lifestyle you choose to live. This means having enough money to not care about money. This means if having your own private jet is your thing, or a super car, or a house, or whatever, you can afford it, and you can continue to live the life you want to live. This means you don't have to work for someone else. You aren't STUCK, enslaved to your own lifestyle, choices, or the objects you choose to own

Locational Freedom: This means you can up and move anywhere you want, any time you want, no constraints, no restraints. No home or mortgage you can't get out of. No job in a defined, preset location.

Contribution: Making an impact on the WORLD.. It isn't all about *ME* it's about *WE* so what will I do with my time to make the world a better place for others?

Have the most fun: Look at the people around you. Chances are most of them run day to day in chaos. My final goal is to have the most fun, all the time. To always be enjoying what i'm doing, other wise I wouldn't do it..

My current goals, visions, and projects:

I will elaborate on this further in future posts, however I wanted to set the base for where I began and where I am in this first post.

The goal of this thread is to allow you all to watch my journey and see me go from where I am to where I want to be in life.. I'll also be a part of this forum, doing the same for you.

My '25 years old' goal is, and has been, to own a supercar.

Why a super car after I just went over the fact that material objects aren't all these is to it, etc?

Well, as part of the goal, I want to have achieved, or be getting close to achieving, the four 'pillars' i defined above. I've reached a stage in my life where I want to define goals so large that people will laugh and tell you they aren't possible, and then I want to go out there and do it.

So this thread will revolve around my journey towards that level of success at 25 years old (I have 4 years)

I plan on owning a supercar by 25, I plan on making large-scale levels of contribution, having the most fun, being financially free (or close to it..), and being locationally free.

My main project / area of focus is in the fitness industry.

I am a certified fitness trainer and run an online coaching / membership site. I will update more on this in future posts, as I am still developing the website and back-end.

I am working with a bodybuilding coach on my own physique as we speak.

My other main project / area of focus that I am just getting into is day trading. I am going to be learning how to day trade futures, which requires much less capital to start than day trading the stock market.

Anyhow, that sums up this first post. Hope you enjoyed the story...

GODSPEED

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading your post. I'm on a similar boat in terms of age and what my goals are, but I'm trudging along community college currently, because I started late (Graduated in 2010, but started CC last year).

This forum is full of great posts from a lot of solid contributors! I have a lot of them saved as bookmarks, and would love to share the Gold with you if you're interested!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed reading your post. I'm on a similar boat in terms of age and what my goals are, but I'm trudging along community college currently, because I started late (Graduated in 2010, but started CC last year).

This forum is full of great posts from a lot of solid contributors! I have a lot of them saved as bookmarks, and would love to share the Gold with you if you're interested!

Yeah, I'm about to start scrolling through these forums later today actually. Send me what you've got! That would help a lot.

Sorry for the late reply.. Been working on some other stuff, I think my long intro messages should suffice for lesser responses from me, it was kind of a big update at where I'm at :)

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Here are the threads I've saved that are all labeled as Gold and have given me the mental boost I needed. Lots of information coming your way!

Astonishing Secrets
Golden Nuggets
The Reason You're Stuck
Civic Transforms into Viper
The Solution to Having Money on the Side
7 Things to Do if you Dont Want to be a Millionaire
Fastlane Changes Man's Life
Do Not Do What You Love
Diary of Opening a New Business

I have a folder full of threads, but these should definitely get you going! They're all amazing reads, but I highly recommend reading through the last one all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
You're the man!

I really appreciate that.
I actually just found out this forum is based on a book, and one overseeing entrepreneur, I actually had no idea, I just googled entrepreneur forums to find people who are like minded in the aspects that this forum preaches.... Retirement is a joke, forget wage slaving forever living a life you don't even want doing a job you hate, regular school systems are a joke, etc.. With my goals to continue to self educate and find people who have the same thought process, I found this forum...

I just read all the articles MJ DeMarco wrote on this site and was rather blown away, especially the shark tank one...
I also bought the book, obviously. Time to start reading the forums and threads

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Glad to have you here! I found this forum by accident too, I was Googling around for real estate forums and actually found a thread as a search result. But I have read Rich Dad Poor Dad in 2012, which is when I first had my awakening. Reading The Millionaire Fastlane and these forums has been a MAJOR help though. It's definitely the best book I've read on entrepreneurship!

I recommend reading the book first then diving into the forums for an extra boost. MJ covers just about everything you could ever need to really get things going, and getting connected with other like minded people and reading these threads will be a great reinforcement for what you've learned.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Glad to have you here! I found this forum by accident too, I was Googling around for real estate forums and actually found a thread as a search result. But I have read Rich Dad Poor Dad in 2012, which is when I first had my awakening. Reading The Millionaire Fastlane and these forums has been a MAJOR help though. It's definitely the best book I've read on entrepreneurship!

I recommend reading the book first then diving into the forums for an extra boost. MJ covers just about everything you could ever need to really get things going, and getting connected with other like minded people and reading these threads will be a great reinforcement for what you've learned.

Thanks, i'm super excited. As you read above, I've had many enlightenment's that have driven my path towards this lifestyle, and I'd like to think I live it every day.. However, I'm not a 'super success story' just yet. Still in school. Still learning. Still an apprentice to this way of living in many ways.

I have also read Rich Dad poor dad. Good book for a basis for sure.

It's funny, I'm super excited about this book, this forum, etc.. EVEN THOUGH I go to a school that claims to be the top entrepreneur school in the world.. and I constantly find myself scratching my head as to what I'm even learning in class that I couldn't learn elsewhere. I've really only had a very small amount of professors really impact me like I believe these forums / books will. Honestly 1 professor, other than that I'm sort of dumbfounded at how standardized shit is in school. We need more places like this forum with guys with real drive and ACTION, rather than sitting around in classrooms talking about "Well, Porters Forces state that prior to starting a business, we should...." - f**K that nonsense, that theory has a time and a place, and unfortunately it's 99% of what schools will teach you about business. Never the real down and dirty realities like MJ and other notable entrepreneurs will tell you.

Question for you: What are some of the tools you're using to gear you towards the life you want to live?

For me, it's mentors, less than a handful of friends (most people are stuck in the idea of retirement and getting some BS job to work forever enslaved to somebody else so even at a business school it's hard to find people who aren't ready to sell their soul to corporate), books (I recommend The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy, 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss, How to Win Friends & Influence People: Dale Carnegie, and general Rapport building books because 3 of the biggest skills you need for the real world are social skills, business skills, and technical skills), podcasts (The Joe Rogan Experience has been life changing for me.. key speakers from there are Joe Rogan, Bryan Callen, and Duncan Trussell) finding people in the industry you are working on or into, who have been there and done that with what you're trying to accomplish (Success begets success), and probably the most important, always being the hardest worker in the room and getting hands on experience through trial and error (I personally learned a shitton from my lawn care business even though it was just me and i derived no real passion to that business)

Last edited:

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Honestly, I finished my most useless semester of college a few weeks ago and the entire time I was in these classes I would just think about my business and even read Fastlane on breaks. If anything, sitting in the classes pushed me to work harder to reach my business goals.

A few tools I use to push me towards the life I want to live vary from books to this forum and even social media. To elaborate on the last one, I follow before5am on Instagram, a super motivational profile dedicated to giving people the kick in the a$$ they need every day. I also follow a few other pages that are similar, or post images of where I ultimately want to be. I don't remember the exact quote, but in TMF , MJ wrote that a great way to help you reach your goals, is to make them tangible. For me, that's looking at these other successful folk on Instagram and tapping into their lives for a few minutes a day and listening to what they have to say.

In terms of books, Rich Dad Poor Dad and The Millionaire Fastlane have been the only two that I've completed. I've tried diving into The Four Hour Work Week but decided to pick up TMF instead, and I'm glad I did. I'm working on getting around to 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, but I think I'd rather START than read another book right now.

I do a lot of things that help keep me on track, even when I lose focus. But the most helpful is to get on this forum or re-read threads and see what others are going through, ultimately to find something to relate to. I also watch some videos on YouTube. I've been starting to watch Tony Robbins. Here's a great video that helped me when I was getting close to dropping my current ideas and moving on.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Rinzler what current businesses/ideas are you working on? if youve got another thread link me to it

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So this thread should be geared more towards my pursuit towards serial entrepreneurship prior to graduating college.

When I graduate, my biggest fear is having to go work for someone else to just get by and exist, to pay bills, pay off loans, etc.

I've come to the realization that if I can graduate and be running a business that generates me 10K in profit that I personally keep, that's more sufficient in my mind than getting a 70K a year job, because then you take out taxes, insurance, blablabla, you're stuck in a location, you're stuck to your 2% raise a year, etc.

If i can START and make, let's say 10K which would be enough to survive with bare minimal living expenses, then there's NO LIMIT as to how much I can make, you know?

I know it isn't about money, this is just a money POV for this brief post because the $$ part is what's going to play a big role in whether i'm working for someone else when I graduate or not.

Important Piece to mention

I am keeping a lot of things I mention at a blur. For instance, I have not mentioned my college, nor have I mentioned the names of professors that I discuss, etc. This is simply due to my own personal privacy. For those of you who I may do business with in the future or communicate with outside of the public [Through email or private messages], those are details I would be happy to discuss. I just don't feel necessary to communicate specific names of the school or professors that I discuss for their own privacy. If you searched well enough you could probably find out, but that's your own doing, not mine :)

The important story: I had a class that really changed everything for me. Long story short it was the exact kind of class you would expect at a business school for entrepreneurs, and I gained the professor as a future mentor / investor.

He had a chance to hear my story, since I was one of the select few in the class that had the opportunity to grab lunches / dinners with the professor and chat. From that point on, I've sat down and chatted with him, just in general ,not about any specific businesses. He's told me that if I ever need anything from him, he's a phone call away.

So *CAPITAL* IS NOT AN ISSUE for me. This person *INVESTS IN PEOPLE, NOT BUSINESSES* - He's also a multi-millionaire, on the board for a dozen companies, and owns a dozen companies. He doesn't need money. He wants to invest his resources for the greater good of the world.

Now I just need to figure out what that next idea is going to be. I'm running an online fitness coaching business, and i'm going to talk to him about a potential idea to gear this business, which I will elaborate on in a future post. I'm actually going to set some deadlines and if the company isn't making profit or well on it's way to super-success with this new idea, i'm actually going to scrap it and move on. I've had the domain for like 2 years and kept putting it on the back-burner. When i first came up with the idea, I was thinking selfishly and not about solving any real world problems. In fact i dont know if i have anything valuable to add to the fitness industry besides just being another trainer who is just more informed than others (I follow SCIENCE not bullshit) - Anyways i'll elaborate on that business in the next few days.

I'm overhauling my notes, logging 2014's achievements, and clearing the notebook for 2015. (MSOneNote).

Talk to you all soon

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Part of this log is also going to be me dropping how I go day to day and little tidbits that work for me.

Hopefully in less than a handful of years in the future when i'm doing very, very well and have inspired a lot of you, you can reflect on these tools and see what helped me.. Or I can reflect on them and say what helped, and what didn't.

Some of my key 'sections' in my notebook for DAILY LOGGING (I call it daily hygiene, just like brushing your teeth)

'List of Positives' - Every day, LOG 5 ITEMS that went great about the day. Can be as simple as "The weather was nice" or "I'm fortunate I have FOOD IN MY STOMACH because some people *DON'T* or it can be as advanced as "I finally launched X idea in my business and reached X amount of people"

'Best Part of the Day' - Log the best part of your day, EVERY DAY. Then, reflect back on it and find a PATTERN. Whatever that pattern is may very well be your personal passion. Pursue THAT.. or spend time on that.. It will CONSTANTLY evolve..

'Personal Notes' - Just take notes. It's like all the stuff you start thinking before you go to bed, except you get it into writing. "I think i did really well with writing that business proposal today" or "I need to set more time aside for reading books" - It can literally be ANYTHING that you personally need to log for yourself to read up on at a later date.. You can talk about your personal ambitions, aspirations, goals, where you are, where you're going, how you're doing, patterns you have, patterns you want, patterns you want *GONE*, etc.

'Daily Improvements' - I find I'm writing similar stuff in the personal note section as i am in the daily improvements, but daily improvements is more specific. It's stuff you want to NOTICE about yourself that you want to improve. It could be "Call people by their name" or "Always greet people with a smile" - Stuff that you actively notice in yourself that you want to KEEP noticing until you improve it.

'Insights & Ideas' - Logging all those future businesses, notes, ideas, implementations, etc. It's like your creativity space in a notebook. Write down every STUPID, CRAZY IDEA you come up with..

Most of this stuff is my own personal discovering that I have implemented from mentors, books, etc. If you are to share it with others, please make sure to give credit to me for it. I may want to write a book and include it all someday :)

Hope that's useful for you all!

GODSPEED

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
I don't have a progress thread up yet, but I'm in the research stage of a product I will be making that will be sold (mostly for men) both on a business to consumer and business to business level. It doesn't fill a massive need, but it does fill a massive desire. As of now though I'm focusing on eliminating credit card debt so I can put more focus and money on my product within the next month or two.

--

On an other note, I really hope other members will start to contribute to this thread with what works for them, and also some feedback on what you've already elaborated on!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I don't have a progress thread up yet, but I'm in the research stage of a product I will be making that will be sold (mostly for men) both on a business to consumer and business to business level. It doesn't fill a massive need, but it does fill a massive desire. As of now though I'm focusing on eliminating credit card debt so I can put more focus and money on my product within the next month or two.

--

On an other note, I really hope other members will start to contribute to this thread with what works for them, and also some feedback on what you've already elaborated on!

It's all good man, *Build it and they will come*

Look at any of those other threads you linked me where the guys before they became entrepreneurs made threads and posted. They were ALONE, posting in *SILENCE* - Look at the guy who made the paint brush covers. Nobody really payed much attention to his ideas... until he was on sharktank.

That's how it's done. You can't expect a bunch of moral support in your own thread. You just gotta do your thing. They'll come and ask how you did it when your time comes.

If I need the moral support, I'll take my time to visit their threads and ask them questions, or read through their posts for answers to my questions.

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
My current business venture

Okay guys, so this writeup is going to be about my current business and what I've been working on for a while, as my second business venture. My first business venture, Lawn Care, was really just a way to support myself while I was a younger guy who was frustrated and couldn't find work (Story above). Once I realized it was possible to run a business ON YOUR OWN, I now want to scale a business and run them with *deeper purpose* (Contribution) and get other people on board to help me fulfill those purposes. The difference between my teenage business venture and where I'm gearing my future businesses is
  • A predefined purpose and way of contributing (solving a problem etc)
  • Working with others (No more sole proprietor stuff.. Time to work those management skills, partnership skills, leadership skills)
  • A passion (No more carelessly shooting for a 'way to make money' - I've gotta connect with what i'm doing or I won't do it, especially since i've learned how valuable time is.. at least for us fast-laners..)

The Business
I run an online personal training company. What started out back in my young teenage days as simply a domain has crafted and shifted many times over as far as the business plan. Originally, I started weight training when I was in my teens, mainly because I was frail, weak, and got bullied *a lot*. It later helped me as a basis for LIFE, where I learned that working hard produces results and that failure is important to learn and grow from.. things like that. I went on to build my physique (Still am as I work with a bodybuilding coach), become a certified fitness trainer, and continue to educate myself as to how to build and sculpt your physique.. I'm currently working on my second certification and will be done with that soon, which will also renew my current certification, which is up for renewal.

I originally wanted a way to train clients online, because I found training in person was an issue for both trainers and clients.
From the trainer's POV, it's paying overhead to the gym and fighting for people to go to you over every other trainer in the gym. There's also a shitton of misinformation out there that I won't begin to get into when it comes to health and wellness. The industry is honestly a mess, where people will take your advice based on looks, rather than actual knowledge.. When they don't realize looks are easily obtainable by hitting the steroids and working out here and there.. It's like driving someone else's lamborghini or something, and people think it's yours and ask you for financial advice.

From the client's point of view, they gotta join that gym, they have to find times that don't conflict with a trainer, and usually pay expensive fees because the trainers have to overcharge to pay both the gym, their expenses and insurances, and themselves.

That's where online fitness coaching came into play. You don't *NEED* a trainer with you 24/7 every time you go to a gym. I figured I could 'sell meal plans' and the usual bullshit when I first started building this, and then I shifted, again and again.

What is My Business?
It's an online fitness coaching website that currently offers two distinct options for individuals.
1. Membership
2. Coaching

Membership is what I've built the site on and I've done all the back end work. Think of it like sitting inside a gym from the owner's eyes... You've got an abundance of NO-BS information, scientific shit about how to train, why to train that way, and how you can build your physique. With that, I have a page of resources for members where they can obtain tools such as "how much water do i drink in a day" with a PDF printout version they can download, an exclusive blog section with things i've personally gone through, heard, or dealt with over the years as I went through my fitness transformation. "How do i stay motivated?" etc.. Then there's an exclusive podcast section where I've recorded over 2 hours of content into 12 podcasts so far for people which helps them get towards their fitness goals of living a happy healthy lifestyle of fitness.. There is also a weekly report-out, where individuals are required to type up how their week went, record progress pictures, etc. There are also links for them to create a myfitnesspal account and set up for their nutrition, a section to upload the individual their nutrition plan, and there is an external workout application i pay a developer to use, as they sell their service and other trainers can use it. This allows me to use their mobile application for clients and have an entire separate workout platform. There's a few sections in there for motivational tools and such as well..

Coaching is if people don't want all that, who maybe have a solid groundwork and say "I just need someone to build a nutrition plan and workout routine for me" - For that, they get coaching, which is hiring me to build whatever they ask for. I've done some cool stuff for friends in the past, putting together audio files and PDFS into a little 12 week program for them which they paid me for by the hour and it took 3 hours..

The Objective / Future Goals
I'd like to turn this into a platform for *OTHER TRAINERS* to use. In all honesty, i want to have some guys I coach as well, so I call myself the director of the site, as well as one of the trainers. I want to contract out work for other trainers, or get them on board and let them find their own clients and then they can use the membership side of things for their own personal podcasts, blog posts, or to use what I've already got there and coach their own clients.

What makes it different?
I'm yet to find a website out there for personal training that has a membership platform with the stuff I have. Some people have membership crap where they have flashy exciting workout videos of them pumping weights, but there's no value added there. Some sell bullshit meal plans and workout routines. I've got a whole membership side with multiple pages of content and information. All you have to do is sign up and you've got access to all that shit. And then while you're going through that, either myself or another trainer (in the future when i have trainers) starts building your personalized shit based on your answers to the consultation forms that are provided..

The timeframe and timeline of goals / To Do's
I'm just finishing up the web development myself. Paid an e-lance web developer who did a terrible job, and I still didn't know what I wanted at the time. You LEARN from those mistakes though. Then i'm going all out with marketing...

Marketing tactics such as SEO, SEM, in person, business cards, contracting out trainers, affiliate marketing, youtube videos, donating a large percentage of PROFIT to a specific charity i'll partner with, contests, facebook groups, social media marketing, paid marketing, etc.

I'm going all out with brute marketing starting sometime over the next few days to start building a client base, and if I can't get it on track by the end of February i'm probably going to dump the idea and move on. I think it has potential...

I also have an even larger idea, and I will not share that publically until I've discussed that with a mentor and potential investor.

Let me know how that grabs you guys for a start in the fastlane..

Last edited by a moderator:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Update:

So I've dumped the fitness business. Realized that trying to monetize your passion is a bad route. Fitness has been something that helped me learn many life lessons, and helped me grow to become the man I am today. Learning lessons such as hard work produces results, if you show up every day you can make progress, etc.

Do not monetize your own personal passions. Just pursue them on your own time because you love them.

I was never into personal fitness coaching or personal training, i realized. I was into personal development for MYSELF through weight training.

--

Anyhow, my summer plans all came together.

Summer Job
Got a summer internship that starts Tuesday. Making some $$, working a bit, living on my own in a new town. Actually the first time outside of school i'm ever living on my own. For those of you who dont know or haven't read above, my family life is not good. Parents are stuck in wage slavery, negative toxic environment, etc. So it's important for me to get out of there and stay out of there. I was out at 20 when I moved to colllege and i'm a resident assistant so i live for free.

Summer Housing

Ended up getting exactly what i was looking for, a cheap place to stay.. Similar to my dorm-sized room, ive got a room in a guys attic in a single family home for $500 a month for 3 months. Cheap and convenient, work is 5 minutes down the road. I got wifi, utilities, and everything I need but food, which is cheap as hell where i'm living. I bought some furniture and built it this morning.. i'm good to go and all moved in ready to kill it this summer

Summer Flipping

To make some extra cash outside the internship, i'll be flipping stuff. When school ended, i realized the large majority of people don't live in the state the school is, and it's cheaper for them to re-buy shit every year than to store it.. So they THROW IT ALL AWAY. Needless to say i picked up a bunch of shit and started selling.

The best flip so far has been a mini fridge/freezer. I picked it up on the floor below me, brought it up the elevator, put it on craigslist the next morning, and sold it for $100 cash. Took about 10 minutes of labor.That's $600 an hour for a rate.. Who wouldn't take $600 an hour? Haha. I've got another $1000 worth of stuff to flip..

I also picked up a used truck for cheap and will be flipping stuff with that. I'll end up making a profit on the truck too, it's book value is $3600 and i paid $1900..

Summer Business

This is the bread and butter for this summer.. to start and work it into the rest of the school year. I ran one of MJ's decision matrices with all the different business ideas i accumulated over the school year with problems i saw every day, ideas, etc. Then i added values that were important to me, and scored each individual idea on a scale 1-10. Then I ended up with 4 high scoring items, and i'm picking one of the businesses to start.

Maybe i'm a little overly-anal about just picking one and starting, but i guess i'm not the best at committing to one thing full on 150%, and that's what i plan to do for the next YEAR, so it's a little difficult for me to choose one, even when im narrowed down to 4.. but i think i have a good idea what i'm going to do..

My work schedule is a 9/80 schedule, so you work 80 hours over 9 days every 2 weeks instead of 10. That means i get every other Friday off, but i work an extra hour Monday-Thursday. Works for me, more time to work on a business.

I'm also going to be up a few hours before my 8AM shift to work on the business. Every.Single.Day. I've got at LEAST 15 hours a week to work on a business set aside early in the morning in my schedule.

Day Trading Progress

I'm going to wait until after the summer to go under the mentorship of a professional day trading academy (No this is not fastlane, it's a way to generate some $$ in my life to help fund LIVING / potential business ventures) - Since I need to be at my computer when the market opens until about lunch time, it won't really work this summer with my work schedule.

The good news is ive been studying, read a bunch of books, and am ready to take on mentorship. Also, the unfortunate passing of an elder in my family left me with enough capital to startup with for day trading.. and that's the sole thing i'm going to invest it into.

The summer business is the big key here.. and that's what i'll mostly be reporting on in the future days to come. I'm freaking ready, guys. All i do is go to business school, read personal development books, and read business books. It's freaking time to GET OUT THERE AND LEARN. CUT THE ROPES. BURN THE BRIDGEs. 150%. No plan B. Just plan A full on..

When the summer internship ends and i go back to school, the entire year is focusing on building the business that i'll be starting this weekend.

I'll also be starting a not for profit soon... as soon as i finish my own self-made "Personal Development" course.. i've got this great, great idea for a not for profit. Hell it doesnt need to be NFP but i dont know a way to monetize it yet. Right now it's just an idea but ive really mapped it out and it's freaking good.. Just haven't monetized it yet, and i dont know if i want to. Maybe ill keep it seperate and run it as a 'personal development' piece instead of a 'business' per-se.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Hi all,

The video game addiction became so bad, I was actually hallucinating that I was playing when I would try to sleep. My dreams were consumed by video games, and I was fearing for my life. By a matter of chance, I stumbled upon a life coach on Yahoo Answers who broke down a lot of my structures and patterns, and after several years and thousands of emails later, I was starting to grasp the roots of my problem, and I quit video gaming, on and off, until I quit entirely a few years later.
2 things here:
1) I know EXACTLY what you mean about hallucinating video games, haha. I used to play video games a LOT. When I would close my eyes I would still see the movements and everything like a screen in the back of my eyelids. I played video games modestly up until about a few months ago when I began reading more and decided I need to make some changes to get to financial freedom. I must say, after getting TMF I don't even watch TV anymore... It's a great feeling.

2) I absolutely LOVE that you said "by chance". Before I even started reading TMF , I used to hate when people would attribute things to "luck". Luck, the mythical godsend that just picks people at random. Everyone's looking for "magic" to happen. Like I've told some people, Magic isn't real, but the magician is.

Good stuff man.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Like your plan man it is epic. The only thing I would say is that you should learn day trading from someone who has gotten alot of big, gross mess ups under their belt and not just books. LEARN IT ALL. Do not hesitate to learn stocks, exchanges, currencies, options, ETF's. ALL are useful. All are different beasts. Godspeed man.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Thanks guys, I'm pretty nervous, but I know that's normal, and i'll just use the juice from being nervous to channel it into energy for hard, solid work.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
So guys, i'm a little bit overly nervous, when i probably shouldn't be.

I've been compiling a list of business ideas for the past few months, and now it's go time. I weighed some variables and came up with 4 potential ideas, and i've decided on one to pursue for a business.

The past few months ive been reading and studying constantly.. in the classroom, outside the classroom, reading books, etc. It's time to *GO*.

The business idea i'm pursuing, i'm a little nervous about. I have a great niche-market idea for a product. I'm not really sure how to define the target market though, as it could be anybody. It's nothing new, but the application of it is. I want to create a brand around this product, and saturate the market, since it is something that is not expensive by any means, has a low price point, but could have decent margins.

My main idea is around the branding of this product. I'm basically taking a simple, stationary item, and turning it into something that can be inspiring to others, and i want to brand it just as that..

My few concerns:

1. Being a stationary item, it's hard to define a target market
2. I'm not sure how i would go about a product-oriented business where there can be many different shapes, sizes, orders, styles, etc for this product. I'm thinking of dropshipping, although I find it's going to be a challenge because no 2 orders may ever be the same. I could make it a little less personalized and remove a lot of different options and sort of 'standardize' the item, but i'm not sure if that's the best idea.
3. My main goal is to create a movement around this item with a different way of branding / marketing it... and that's scary to me, because i'm almost re-creating the wheel, when it may just make it too challenging.

I threw a few basic models on ebay to see what the price point is that people will pay, although i dont think thats going to be the best representation because my idea is pretty customizable..
I also researched some keywords etc, and i'm finding that it's pretty spread out.. when i get too specific, there's no searches, but then when i widen up, i can't exactly define my product with its many different applications, i instead find a bunch of generic products that other businesses already sell, but they dont have nearly the same idea that i have.

Thoughts?

Should I just run with it and learn from the experience?

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Hard to give too much 'valuable' advice not know what it is or your spin but...One acronym: "MVP"

If it doesn't cost much, pick one variation (one SKU), order some, and market the hell out of it. See what the market is for it. See how much interest you can draw, what you can sell for, and how fast they sell.

TEST IT!

You don't have to be all in or all out. Read The Lean Startup and Ready, Aim, Fire this summer. They'll help you out.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Hard to give too much 'valuable' advice not know what it is or your spin but...One acronym: "MVP"

If it doesn't cost much, pick one variation (one SKU), order some, and market the hell out of it. See what the market is for it. See how much interest you can draw, what you can sell for, and how fast they sell.

TEST IT!

You don't have to be all in or all out. Read The Lean Startup and Ready, Aim, Fire this summer. They'll help you out.

Thanks. Should I do this as myself, prior to paying for LLC etc?

The thing is, it's the brand message that i'd like to build, so i'm a bit worried i won't get an accurate representation of the market unless i put more chips in..

It's like those freaking silly-bands, remember those? the rubber bands in the shape of animals? If anyone tried marketing rubber bands in the shape of animals, theyd probably test the market and get back some half-a$$ results, but when they made the brand and packaging, etc, then it sold, they got it into retail stores, etc

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
LLC? Hmmm...depends. Do you want to be a Wantrepreneur or an Entrepreneur? If you want to waste time making logos, business cards and figuring out the best name for your company, then file for an LLC and continue down the Wantrepreneur path. If you want to help people, make some sales, and prove your idea then don't bother with an LLC at this stage.

<kick in the a$$>
YOU CAN'T CREATE A COMPANY UNTIL YOU VALIDATE YOUR $#@&ING PRODUCT WITH SALES!!
</kick in the a$$>

Again, not knowing the exact product makes it tricky to give specific advice, but there are two possible approaches that I see. Your specific approach may come down to how you plan on selling this thing. Either way, it will cost you a few hundred dollars to test it out.

Approach 1 - Virtual Sales
Create a lead page and use it to position your product. Create your brand and sell they 'why' with good copy and a solid value pitch. Try to get a bunch of sign-ups or even pre-sales if you can to help fund the first run of branded inventory. Run ads for your target demos on Facebook, Instagram, AdWords, etc. Honestly, this approach gauges interest for your product more than it does what your actual sales will be. Many people before you have tried to validate their idea this way before you. Some were able to convert this interest into real sales once the product was available. Others weren't. Lots of people say they'd buy something but fewer put their money where their mouth is.

Approach 2 - Hard Sales
Bite the bullet and make some, then sell them. If they're cheap to make and can be branded inexpensively too, then why not pony up a few hundred bucks and try to sell them with hustle? You may need to figure out a brand name and do some packaging work too, but what else have you got to do? Make some and sell them. Work on your copy. Work on your branding. Work on your sales pitch and hustle some sales! It's a skill you'll be glad you developed.

I'm more of a hands-on kind of guy who learns by doing. I like tangible things. FB ads, SEO and all that online marketing is daunting to me, so I'm biased. You may be too but in either case it's an opportunity for you to learn a skill set you might not yet have. Don't be lazy and opt for what you know by default. Let your product dictate your approach and follow it.

If branding is key for your product also consider reading "Start with Why". It's worth a read before you start making copy.

Take some of your Summer Flipping money and buy and INSIDERS's membership. Tons of value here that will help guide you. Just don't get caught up reading too much of it like others do (-> ME <-). You're on the road and taking action. Keep the momentum up!

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Thanks man, super helpful.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the wantrepreneur path - It's what I did, and it's what they teach in school. Doesn't work. I know.

Last business I tried went like this:

On/off for 3 years
Paid a total of $300 for web hosting over that time period
$600 for a developer
$50 for business cards
$100 for misc development
$60 for logo design
Spent over 100 hours working on the back-end of shit
People still didn't even understand what I was doing with the business, and frankly i wasn't sure either
Paid $200 for back-end app up front
Paid $120 for a back end app ($20 a month ish)

Total waste: 100 hours and $1500 ish.

I had 1 customer and netted $80 out of that.

I learned a lot though.

I think I get the idea, and I've already got some testing going on, got quotes from suppliers too.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Well I think the days of WANTREPRENEURSHIP are over.

I've been *HUSTLING* guys.

working near 10 hour days at my summer job, going to the gym routinely afterwards, and getting time inbetween to test the market for this and further plan / back test.

It's funny, you get afraid that your idea will be 'out there' if you ask people for advice on it before it's beyond backtesting, and then you realize most people are cynical anyways and find a bunch of reasons why they think it will fail.

I actually got a lot of real good advice from some select friends I talked to. I asked about 10 friends, and am going to talk to a few mentors about the idea further and continue to do some testing.

Mapping out a landing page now to test. Things are looking good..

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Homies, I'll be 22 June 9th. That gives me less than 4 years to go on this journey. I don't see it as a 'DESTINATION', only the next step in my journey that I want to achieve by 25.

I've been soaking up information for years, I decided to do an extra year of school.. however this coming school year is much different. It's the year I use as a safety net to have a roof over my head without needing a 9-5 to support it, and a year for me to *HUSTLE* on getting some business(es) rolling.

I'm going to try to stay up on updating this thread, although my time is pretty limited with this hustle. I do want to have documentation going back when people read this thread and when it's gold and I 'made it' , i want people to know the steps i took, the struggles, the failures.

I've got a good documentation log in emails with a mentor from my lawn care startup, but that was much smaller scale.

Anyhow...

Yesterday I talked to some suppliers to just get an idea on packaging costs for shipping my product, and was thinking of some cool, different ideas for self-branding.

I found out the name i would like to use if this business proves some sales, is available. The federal trademark registration expired in 2010, so the name is up for grabs. I'm not jumping on it because I want to prove sales first...

I've got a few ebay listings posted up, need to test a few different variations of the product, test in a few different categories on ebay. Then i've got to do some web-based testing through a landing page. That's what today revolves around. I designed some landing page ideas and read some posts yesterday.

I'm thinking of doing a few variations of this..

I'm going to make a survey and poll a few friends and people in my network
I'm going to create a landing page with an opt-in newsletter to see what the demand is for that part of the business
I'm going to get fake product page up and see if i can use an adwords coupon to drive traffic and get my lead conversion rate.. again, maybe test a few variations.
I may also get fake kickstarter and see how many people will pledge out of my network for which products and grasp the idea if this can prove sales, then i'll dump the kickstarter idea (I'd just use their UI to put different product variations up 'for sale' with a ridiculous goal price so it doesnt actually fill and test to see who demands what) - The kickstarter will take a few days to make though. I need to get a few more samples from suppliers and work on a few more things.

Today's work involves the survey and landing page.

And just an FYI my product is not a 'need' that is being solved, more-so inspiring people.

-Chris

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.