The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Is The Official Terminology Called? (How to Learn Anything!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was just thinking the other day how wonderful it is to just Google something and learn anything you want.

In fact, much of the difficulty in discovering something new is figuring out the official terminology for what it is you are seeking out. It is this key that makes the Google search powerful... without the correct terminology, the search will come up short with weak results.

Just to give you an example, you are creating a product with multiple components. You would like to have this components assembled automatically, versus having them hand aggregated.

What do you search for?

The answer is "Kitting" -- which is the correct lingo for product assembly.

Another example, you'd like your website to continual load new data, without having to click extra "Next" buttons. You see this is quite common on the web nowadays, and you'd like to do it. But what is that officially called?

It's called "infinity scrolling" and that is the Google search that would return optimum results.

So use this thread to help each other out... what are the official TERMS for things that people all recognize, but might not know their official names?

Please share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
This is an excellent topic. I remember Google being useless to kids in my highschool because they would type a question into the query instead of a statement. I saw things like, "what do you call it when a molecule passes through a cell membrane".

I've got one, how about "Sales Funnel"? -- term for the metaphorical funnel of people as they go through the sales process. Interested people at the top, those who have taken delivery at the bottom.

internet-marketing-sales-funnel-diagram.gif

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Cool thread idea.

I've got a question:

What is it called when I recieve orders from my customers,
order from a manufacturer and pay him AFTER I've got the money from my customers?
No upfront investment?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is it called when I recieve orders from my customers,
order from a manufacturer and pay him AFTER I've got the money from my customers?

Sounds like a simple credit arrangement. Most common is NET 30 ... pay by 30 days.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Thanks for the fast answers!
Just to make sure I got this right:
With droppshipping and a NET30 arrangement I can be a wholesaler, with no upfront costs but a website and basically zero risk??

EDIT: Sorry for the stupid question, I was a little bit excited:embarrased:
Time to learn by doing

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
With droppshipping and a NET30 arrangement I can be a wholesaler, with no upfront costs but a website and basically zero risk??

Time to learn by doing

Yes

ihaveanidea

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2015
This is exactly my problem, I have an idea for a website that could be successful however I don't have a computing background so I'm not sure what to learn first or if it's feasible. The website is a spin on a holiday activities directory and having asked my friends in computing they've given me vague answers like " you need to control data". Thats great, but what are the first steps I need to take/learn.

My idea is this , when travellers go on holiday to a destination say Spain, they can fill out a few fields such as, "where do you want to go ?" (If not then recommend the top places to visit),"what activities do you like doing" (sightseeing, restraunts, etc)," what is your total budget?", "what dates are you planning on going?" . Listing through these queries, my website will then churn out a travel itinerary with links to book the activities.

Is this a good idea ?Is this monetizable ? If so, what do I need to learn ?

If anyone could offer me advice that would be great, thanks.

Last edited:

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
Interesting topic. And funny that I found it now.

This is my exact problem while learning to code. iOS app development.

You know what you want to do, but you have NO idea what is it called or which class give that method / property. Its frustrating to figure it out sometimes.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Nice thread idea MJ.
That's the same reason why we need to ask good questions in real life in order to get good answers. Google's answer (search results) will only be as good as your question (search terms), the issue when learning about a new "thing" is that we are usually in a state where "we don't know that we don't know" , so a little research need to be conducted in order to know how to ask the right questions, this thread might be an epic one.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
how's...........?
what's..........?
where's.........?
and
why.............?
work still ok, if you don't know something.

The word "googol," a mathematical term for the number represented by the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros.

Lucky googling. lol

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I always use the search ´Fat guy Hawaii´ to find this nice song to listen too.

Cool song, I listened to it many times on a TV show but never searched. Fat & Famous ;)

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Heh.

I spent about 3 years figuring out how to make a very specific sound for my music. (No I didn't google it every day.) Cracked the code just about a week ago.

I was looking for a FULL DRAWBAR HAMMOND B3 ORGAN WITH A CHORUS AND LESLIE SPEAKER. Then I had to find and get the plugins which could do this well.

Googling 'that sound with a fat organ that is like a vibrato-ey, churchy fat sound' doesn't work. And even on forums people don't have the answers very often since this is a sound that usually gets sampled.

risingtomillions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 31, 2015
What search terms would you use to find a company that does custom manufacturing? Like making branded watches for you or making branded iPhone cases for you?

risingtomillions

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 31, 2015

Time to learn by doing
Wait, before you go all gung-ho not all manufactures are made equally and the reputable ones will probably have a minimum initial order of $500 or more.

In addition to that, you will need to provide evidence that you are a duly registered company.

try and find a manufacturer that will be able to integrate their inventory directly with your woocommerce account or else you will have no shortage of refunds due to out of stock.

Lastly choose your Niche VERY carefully, since it's online you will need have to make sure you can rank well and in a competitive industry where the major players are pr6+ you will just be throwing away money. Find one in the pr 3-4 range and you will have a good work reward ratio

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
What search terms would you use to find a company that does custom manufacturing? Like making branded watches for you or making branded iPhone cases for you?

Sounds like you mean Original Equipment Manfucaturing (OEM) or Original Design Manufacturing (ODM) @risingtomillions

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
For aspiring inventors:

You have an idea for a product, and you want to see it in the stores.
But what's the part between the idea in your head and putting the finished thing on the shelves called?

New Product Development (NPD), in rare cases also Product Engineering Process (PEP)

There is a "For Dummies" book on this topic, and google spits out a lot of pdfs.
Hope this helps someone.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I was just thinking the other day how wonderful it is to just Google something and learn anything you want.

In fact, much of the difficulty in discovering something new is figuring out the official terminology for what it is you are seeking out. It is this key that makes the Google search powerful... without the correct terminology, the search will come up short with weak results.

Just to give you an example, you are creating a product with multiple components. You would like to have this components assembled automatically, versus having them hand aggregated.

What do you search for?

The answer is "Kitting" -- which is the correct lingo for product assembly.

Another example, you'd like your website to continual load new data, without having to click extra "Next" buttons. You see this is quite common on the web nowadays, and you'd like to do it. But what is that officially called?

It's called "infinity scrolling" and that is the Google search that would return optimum results.

So use this thread to help each other out... what are the official TERMS for things that people all recognize, but might not know their official names?

Please share.
When it comes to databases, there are a lot of normal forms that prevent data redundancy.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
What's it called when you sip a hot coffee prematurely or suck on too many sour candies and your tongue gets a rough "scratch" on it and you lose your taste for a short period of time?

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
What's it called when you sip a hot coffee prematurely or suck on too many sour candies and your tongue gets a rough "scratch" on it and you lose your taste for a short period of time?
I think it's still just considered a good old fashioned burned tongue (even from sour stuff - it's acidic). Although, I'm sure there has to be some sort of scientific term for it since there seems to be for everything else.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why did the hipster burn his tongue?

He drank his coffee before it was cool.

Last edited:

edward222

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Dec 8, 2014
what do you call that
person who have money,
yet still no love life?

Please SEARCH before posting.