The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Writing Fastlane

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Hello MJ and other Fastlaners!

This is the 1st thread I start to introduce myself and to talk about my road into writing.

I'm an Italian guy who have read " The Millionaire Fastlane " ( " Autostrada per la Ricchezza " ) and really enjoyed it, so I decided to sign up to this forum too!

My main Business path is writing. I've already published 3 books with a Self-Publishing company and put them on popular store like Amazon, Google Books and many more... but the sad thing is that I've sold a very few copies :(

I have understood from " The Millionaire Fastlane " that passion is not so important in business, but I have to say that I really love writing and I'd like to make it my main business.
I also think writing is "Fastlane" because a book can be sold millions of times (... and so impact millions ) .

I chose the self-publishing because I like freedom and having control over my business. Furthermore control is one of the 5 golden rules of a Fastlane business, so I'd say to continue use self-publishing.
But there is a huge 'but'. In fact self-publishing a book means I have to do every single job related to it on my own: I have to do writing, copy-writing, making of a cover, marketing, ect. This is quite boring because I simply like to write and, above all, it's time consuming... and, as we all know, time is king.

So I've got 2 main questions for you:

- Do I have to quit self-publishing and start chasing a good publishing company, which does all the 'dirty jobs' ?
- Which is the best method to publicize a book nowadays?

Thank you for the attention and see you on the Fastlane! ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Being passionate is great, if your passion can lead to a fastlane.

The reason we dont like "passion" is because most passions dont lead to anything but the slowlane.

A common example: You can be passionate all day long about opening up a coffee shop. Guess what, it will lead to nothing but creating a 80 hour work week for yourself, massive amounts of debt, and eventually failing and shutting the shop down.

But if your passionate about writing, absolutely. Read @ChickenHawk thread.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
What do you write about, and whos your target audience? Did you target them?

I've published 2 books of poems and a novel.
I didn't target them in any way, but because they are written in Italian, maybe a simple rough target could be considered Italian-speaking people.

Thank you!
I read some of the threads and almost all of them seem to prefer self-publishing. :)

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Being passionate is great, if your passion can lead to a fastlane.

The reason we dont like "passion" is because most passions dont lead to anything but the slowlane.

A common example: You can be passionate all day long about opening up a coffee shop. Guess what, it will lead to nothing but creating a 80 hour work week for yourself, massive amounts of debt, and eventually failing and shutting the shop down.

But if your passionate about writing, absolutely. Read @ChickenHawk thread.

Thank you for the answer :)

@ChickenHawk seems to have a very inspiring self-publishing story!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Just keep doing the boring stuff until you get more sales of books. Then with more budget you can outsource publishing parts to service companies.

More importantly, might be the time to target genre actually. I'm all about passion business but that still means you need to match it to what people need. So pick a genre and stick to it to build up a name. Otherwise, you won't build much brand and momentum for book sales. If MJ wrote another biz book, you'd buy it, but if he went on a spree of writing about Knitting, Cooking, Basketball and Romance novel you probably wouldn't buy either..

I have a 'Passion' business too, graphic design, which I like a lot, but it's matched to a need - for book cover design services. My ''style'' is also targeting certain genres too. So in both cases, I've found a good mix of what I like to do and what people need. So must authors do. Expanding can happen later on when you have full time income.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
QUICK UPDATE

Thank you all for the replies :)
I'd like to explain you better the features of my book.

- Book #1: It's a book of poems, published in 2013 on a platform which I call " bad self-publishing platform " , because this platform allow writers to only sell their books on its own store. This is a strong limitation, so with book #2 I decided to change platform; moreover the percentage writers could earn on this platform is very low.

The poems in this books are divided into 7 sections: Love, Epic, Depressive mood, Social Poems, Nature Odes, Eroticism and Freedom. I know maybe this is kinda confusing, but I wanted to be various.

- Book #2: With this book, as I said before, I changed the platform to publish by book. I chose a platform, which is in my opinion the best here in Italy, because it's the only one to automatically put the book on about 50 online stores, including the most popular, of course. Moreover the book is also available in physical bookstores and libraries.
The percentage the author can earn on this platform is fixed and it's 50%, a quite good percentage in my opinion, but nothing special anyway.

Book #2 - which I published in 2014 - is another book of poems, expecially Erotic poems in this case. It's more refined on the graphic and editing aspects and I think it's absolutely better than book #1.

- Book #3: This is a novel which I published in 2014 on the same platform of book #2.
The genre of this novel isn't easy to define: it's a fiction novel, but contains many references to real events; it has a lot of action, a dystopian mood, many murders ( so it contains also a horror/thriller taste ) , a political satire, with a dark humour taste, irony and sarcasm.

The sales of this book are quite depressive: I've sold 2 copies of book #1 and 2 copies of book #3.
Actually I haven't reach the ROI yet!

MARKETING IDEAS:

a) The self-publishing platform has its own internal social network. How could I use it in a profitable way?
b) Book #3 has a quite impressive cover, in which are clearly visible a rolled banknote and some streak of cocaine, so I thought that it would be very nice if on google images search would be possible to view my book searching the words " Cocaine " or " Banknote / Money / Euros " . My books should be tagged in some way, but I just don't know how this could be possible. Just let me know if it is a weird idea. :stop:
c ) My girlfriend ( who I consider also my manager ) created a Facebook page dedicated to book #2. I wasn't very convinced, because I think facebook is a too generic social network, so it's difficult to work on it.
But anyway, how could she use this page in a profitable way? Just let me know your ideas about it... :)

OTHER PROJECTS:

My projects are to write and publish other 2 books before the end of this year:

- Book #4 is gonna be another novel, dedicated to the dandy lifestyle. I have already the plot in my mind and I think this book will have a feature that many novels nowadays don't have: it would fulfil the commandment of entry, because there are many website and events here in Italy dedicated to dandy literature, but they only focus on old books and writers, like Oscar Wilde, Gabriele d'Annunzio or Lord Brummel. But simply there aren't meaningful contemporary books.
- Book #5 is gonna be another book of novel, which will contain the best poems of book #1 and book #2 + some other new poems.

P.S.: I would like to change this thread to a "Progress thread" in order to motivate myself more, but I haven't figured out yet how to do it...

Last edited:

KennyJA

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 7, 2015
As for sales, many self-published authors here confirmed that their best sales came from fiction, and it took dozens of books to reach notable profit.

I have three books too, and a 4th one on the way. I'm still trying to figure out the formula for consistent sales, but part of it involves active advertising.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Figure out who are your ideal readers and go where they are. If they are on Facebook groups, be there, if they are on some blogs, be there.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
I'm still trying to figure out the formula for consistent sales, but part of it involves active advertising.

Do you mean something like banners on popular blogs or websites which talk about literature?

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
I don't see why writing can't be fastlane. Writing can be a passion, but let's say for example your passion is the genre you've been writing thus far. How is it going to benefit people? What value will they get from it? You can take the broad, general passion of writing itself and flip it into value if your books can help solve problems (like TMF ) For example, in part 7:
Make 1 million people achieve any of the following:
  1. Make them feel better.
  2. Help them solve a problem.
  3. Educate them.
  4. Make them look better
  5. Give them security
  6. Raise a positive emotion
  7. Satisfy appetites (from food to risque)
  8. Make things easier
  9. Enhance their dreams and give them hope

Here's what I see:
  1. Write a real self-help dealing with a specific problem (if you have experience with the subject. No "positive emotion will fix everything" stuff, people want real solutions)
  2. How-to guides, DIY guides
  3. Help someone learn something they would normally have to invest a lot of time and money into (TMF is a good example)
  4. Fitness plan/guide, cosmetic guide, etc.
  5. Write anything relating to physical, financial or emotional security (see #1 - #3)
  6. Write something to give customers a new perspective on things. Can be the same as #1
  7. Cook book, meal plan book all the way tips on relationships, getting laid, etc.
  8. Write from self-experience on something you've accomplished that others may want to as well but struggle with! Insight. As Mike Rowe from Dirty jobs said in a TedTalk "I realized that the right way isn't always the best way" (or something rather)
  9. Can literally apply to any of the above. Just don't bullshit people or write fluff if you're doing non-fiction.
Of course, you don't want to try to be master of the universe and cover every single topic unless you have vast experience with all of those areas, you also don't want to have a bunch of niche's in one book.

I recently started writing. I've always wanted to, but didn't think it would sell. Finally after a few years, I realized I wanted to write something to help people. I don't really care how much it sells. If I can accomplish a goal of helping at least a handful of people, that's a win for me. It's a problem I've solved for myself that I see TONS of people struggle to solve.

Then, there's a fiction piece I'm working on that would be "My passion" I suppose. That's just being treated as a side project, not really looking at it from a business standpoint.

So, to clarify (I ramble a lot). You could think your passion is writing sci-fi novels for example, why not utilize the overall passion of writing and help people solve problems. You would be following your passion AND providing value. As long as the passion isn't selfish. That's just my perspective on it.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
I don't see why writing can't be fastlane. Writing can be a passion, but let's say for example your passion is the genre you've been writing thus far. How is it going to benefit people? What value will they get from it? You can take the broad, general passion of writing itself and flip it into value if your books can help solve problems (like TMF ) For example, in part 7:

Here's what I see:
  1. Write a real self-help dealing with a specific problem (if you have experience with the subject. No "positive emotion will fix everything" stuff, people want real solutions)
  3. Help someone learn something they would normally have to invest a lot of time and money into (TMF is a good example)
  5. Write anything relating to physical, financial or emotional security (see #1 - #3)
  6. Write something to give customers a new perspective on things. Can be the same as #1
  7. Cook book, meal plan book all the way tips on relationships, getting laid, etc.
  8. Write from self-experience on something you've accomplished that others may want to as well but struggle with! Insight. As Mike Rowe from Dirty jobs said in a TedTalk "I realized that the right way isn't always the best way" (or something rather)
  9. Can literally apply to any of the above. Just don't bullshit people or write fluff if you're doing non-fiction.
Of course, you don't want to try to be master of the universe and cover every single topic unless you have vast experience with all of those areas, you also don't want to have a bunch of niche's in one book.

I recently started writing. I've always wanted to, but didn't think it would sell. Finally after a few years, I realized I wanted to write something to help people. I don't really care how much it sells. If I can accomplish a goal of helping at least a handful of people, that's a win for me. It's a problem I've solved for myself that I see TONS of people struggle to solve.

Then, there's a fiction piece I'm working on that would be "My passion" I suppose. That's just being treated as a side project, not really looking at it from a business standpoint.

So, to clarify (I ramble a lot). You could think your passion is writing sci-fi novels for example, why not utilize the overall passion of writing and help people solve problems. You would be following your passion AND providing value. As long as the passion isn't selfish. That's just my perspective on it.

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate your honest perspective on writing :)

Anyway, I have to say there's something ( obviously imho ) which doesn't convince me very much:

- By now, I published 2 books of poems and a fiction novel. Publishing a DIY or tutorial book wouldn't be 'too much' to create a brand of my pen name, as @Gymjunkie said in this post ( https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/my-writing-fastlane.60449/#post-461529https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/my-writing-fastlane.60449/#post-461529 ) ?
- Nowadays guides and tutorials are available free on the Internet... why people should pay for them? Moreover it doesn't fulfil the golden rule of entry.
The only niche in which I see many of these kind of books are sold is the " make money " niche. But if I'm still a poor boy how could I teach people how to become rich?

My plan is to get rich first and then to teach people how to make money self-publishing a book.
The alternative would be to write a novel which contains a tutorial in itself; something like fitness programs or skills to become more self-confident and so on... but it should remain a novel.

Basing on the statistics, we can see most of the best-selling books in the last years are fiction novels, as " 50 shades of... " , " Harry Potter " , " The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo " , " Angels and Demons " and so on...

Last edited by a moderator:

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate your honest perspective on writing :)

Anyway, I have to say there's something ( obviously imho ) which doesn't convince me very much:

- By now, I published 2 books of poems and a fiction novel. Publishing a DIY or tutorial book wouldn't be 'too much' to create a brand of my pen name, as @Gymjunkie said in this post ( https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/my-writing-fastlane.60449/#post-461529https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/my-writing-fastlane.60449/#post-461529 ) ?
- Nowadays guides and tutorials are available free on the Internet... why people should pay for them? Moreover it doesn't fulfil the golden rule of entry.
The only niche in which I see many of these kind of books are sold is the " make money " niche. But if I'm still a poor boy how could I teach people how to become rich?

My plan is to get rich first and then to teach people how to make money self-publishing a book.
The alternative would be to write a novel which contains a tutorial in itself; something like fitness programs or skills to become more self-confident and so on... but it should remain a novel.

Basing on the statistics, we can see most of the best-selling books in the last years are fiction novels, as " 50 shades of... " , " Harry Potter " , " The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo " , " Angels and Demons " and so on...
Good point. That's why you have to find what makes your's unique ;)

Sure I could watch videos about making money all day long, but when things are condensed down into one handy book for reference it makes a world of difference.

That's just me personally. All in all it sounds like you're on the path to solving your own problem here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyJA

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 7, 2015
Do you mean something like banners on popular blogs or websites which talk about literature?
Anything goes. What you just said, google ads, amazon ads, etc.

Like I said I'm still trying to figure it out. It CAN be done, I can give you three threads where authors went from nothing to something with ebooks. It's just friggin difficult right now for me, maybe when I get into fiction it will change. Not like I'm discouraged and neither should you be.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Like I said I'm still trying to figure it out. It CAN be done, I can give you three threads where authors went from nothing to something with ebooks. It's just friggin difficult right now for me, maybe when I get into fiction it will change. Not like I'm discouraged and neither should you be.

Thank you :)

Which are these three threads you are talking about?

James Beattie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 14, 2015
Why dont you just hire freelancers to do the stuff you find boring?
Was going to say the same, there is a lot of people out there willing to take on these jobs. If your content is good it will definitely be a good investment giving these other tasks to freelancers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Was going to say the same, there is a lot of people out there willing to take on these jobs. If your content is good it will definitely be a good investment giving these other tasks to freelancers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have so much money right now so I prefer to do it by myself.
Anyway, as I said before, my girlfriend already helps me a lot and I can download some work on her.

The worst part of doing all the 'boring stuff' is that it is time consuming... and, as MJ uses to say, we all have a death clock :arghh:
But writing is my main business path in this moment, so maybe doing the 'boring stuff' could be considered just as a part of the process...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
'boring stuff' could be cons
idered just as a part of the process...

The boring part is part of the process if you ask me, I do all the same thing as you. It is time consuming learning how to do everything. On the other hand, if you know how to do everything and get better and better at it, you have more control until a big publisher picks you up if that is the goal. From my understanding big publishers want to see you have a fan base, you have a website, blog, and promoting your books. They want to see your book sells before they pick it up. They usually see this in on the platforms and if you're books going viral. So, you really have to push the book yourself. And I know people love following the trends and what everyone else, does, but publishers are looking for the something that is the same, but completely different and a new twist.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPLU3QM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This book might be helpful to know where to advertise unless you have loads of money to throw into Google, Twitter, Facebook Ads, etc. Really depends on how much you have to spend.

Some people put there books on Wattpad too, but it seems you really have to interact and read other people's books and socialize.

Engaging is a huge matter with your readers.

Reviews and promoting your books on regular basis seems to help. I'd be careful with getting reviews, because people aren't reading your books. As in they read your description and look at the cover and put something entirely different about your book. And not to mention, you do it the wrong way you'll get suspended.

I hear from many writers they do best on Amazon because they can promote, but have their books on Itunes, Nook, Kobo, and other platforms too. There's a lot of manipulation in sales and reviewers, and other tactics being used by other authors. You really have to just focus on the writing, finding your niche, voice, and style and ignore the rest.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare

Here's what I see:

Great post. Let me add a simple, but powerful tweak:

When you write about non-fiction/self-help, teach principles, and sample some methods.

As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Think about it. Did MJ write a book about selling leads, or "How to become rich with a limousine-service website"?

Nope. And that's why we like him;)

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Great post. Let me add a simple, but powerful tweak:

When you write about non-fiction/self-help, teach principles, and sample some methods.

As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Think about it. Did MJ write a book about selling leads, or "How to become rich with a limousine-service website"?

Nope. And that's why we like him;)
Man, I'm so glad you replied with this. You seriously just helped me get past a block I was facing with my own writing... Reps transferred

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
The boring part is part of the process if you ask me, I do all the same thing as you. It is time consuming learning how to do everything. On the other hand, if you know how to do everything and get better and better at it, you have more control until a big publisher picks you up if that is the goal. From my understanding big publishers want to see you have a fan base, you have a website, blog, and promoting your books. They want to see your book sells before they pick it up. They usually see this in on the platforms and if you're books going viral. So, you really have to push the book yourself. And I know people love following the trends and what everyone else, does, but publishers are looking for the something that is the same, but completely different and a new twist.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPLU3QM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

This book might be helpful to know where to advertise unless you have loads of money to throw into Google, Twitter, Facebook Ads, etc. Really depends on how much you have to spend.

Thank you for the reply and the link :)
I am definetely gonna buy that ebook!

Some people put there books on Wattpad too, but it seems you really have to interact and read other people's books and socialize.

Engaging is a huge matter with your readers.

Reviews and promoting your books on regular basis seems to help. I'd be careful with getting reviews, because people aren't reading your books. As in they read your description and look at the cover and put something entirely different about your book. And not to mention, you do it the wrong way you'll get suspended.

I hear from many writers they do best on Amazon because they can promote, but have their books on Itunes, Nook, Kobo, and other platforms too. There's a lot of manipulation in sales and reviewers, and other tactics being used by other authors. You really have to just focus on the writing, finding your niche, voice, and style and ignore the rest.

I totally agree to stay away from these kind of dirty tricks and manipulations. Once you lose your reputation, then it's hard to get it back...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
buy that ebook!

ha ha..well you're lucky. The book wasn't out when I started October and had to find them all myself. I read the book anyway and found more 17 more I didn't have.

Good Luck! :)

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Quick Update:

I started to do what I call the " images marketing " .
I set up an account on Imgur and on Flickr ( and I plan to sign up on Instagram and Pinterest too ) . On these platforms I upload images related to my book with many tags and a QR code clearly visible on the image; this QR Code links to the selling page of my book on Amazon.
The main purpose of doing it is to be indexed by Google Images under several keywords and I also wish to obtain a viral effect on social medias.
Honestly I thought this idea on my own and I never heard of someone else doing it, so I just don't know if it's gonna be profitable or not... anyway, let's try it! ;)

Another idea I thought of is to create an affiliate program, but I don't know technically how to build it.
What technical skills are necessary? Must I have a website or I could do it in a cheapest way?

Thank you for the support :)

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Creative idea dude. As far as I know Amazon does this and they want a website.

Thank you :)
You mean the affiliate program idea, right?

I think the easiest way to do it would be to create a personal unique link for every affiliate, using free services like goo.gl for example. In this way I would be able to easily see how an affiliate performs, thry my control panel on the self-publishing platform I use.
Anyway, the main problem would be for the affiliate, who couldn't know how he's performing.

The complex alternative would be to create a website with a classic affiliate program on it, but actually I don't know how to build it and if it is worth it.
Can you suggest me an intermediate alternative?

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
I don't see why writing can't be fastlane. Writing can be a passion, but let's say for example your passion is the genre you've been writing thus far. How is it going to benefit people? What value will they get from it? You can take the broad, general passion of writing itself and flip it into value if your books can help solve problems (like TMF) For example, in part 7:

Here's what I see:

I am re-quoting your post, @mws87, because you have really inspired me!
I have already transferred my rep to you for your advice and I am very happy to have joined this amazing forum :)

Thanks to you I changed my purpose for my book #4.
My previous plan for book #4 was, as I said a couple of days ago, to write a novel with a dandy main character.
But now I am focused on a different project.

As you adviced me, I decided to set aside ( for the moment ) the project of this dandy novel to start writing a " how to " book for my next project. In particular, I am going to write a book for farmers in which I explain an innovative agricultural technique I already use with good results on my own.
I knew this technique from the Internet and from a book, but there are very few sources ( especially in English language ) which talk about it... in fact it's almost unknown. So I think my book will fulfill the golden rule of ENTRY.

Furthermore, it's gonna fulfill the golden rule of NEED too. ( In fact when I think of this project I hear MJ's voice in my head: " Stop chasing money. Start chasing needs " :D ) .
Why?
Because this technique enable farmers to save water, money, work and time. So I think the need does exist. Moreover it's a very environmentally friendly technique and it works fine with no chemical products.

This time my plan is to write the book not only in Italian language but in English too, because I want to conquer the US market ( and therefore the whole world :p ) .

So these are the road trip stages I thought:

- Writing the Italian version of the book before the end of August. Absolutely no delay admitted.
- Writing the English version before the end of September.
- Publish globally before the end of the year ( but this point doesn't depend only on me ).

Now I have 4 questions for the forum:

a) As you may see from my posts, my English maybe is not so good to write a book. Should I outsource the translation on could I do it by myself?
b) I guess most of you on this forum are from the U.S.A. As I previously said, my goal for this book is to 'attack' the US market. In your opinion on which aspect of the technique must I focus more on? The ecological one? Or that it make save you money, work and time?
c) Which pre-publish marketing could I do?
d) Is it better to change my pen name, since I'm gonna start a very different genre?

D

Deleted20833

Hello MJ and other Fastlaners!

So I've got 2 main questions for you:

- Do I have to quit self-publishing and start chasing a good publishing company, which does all the 'dirty jobs' ?
- Which is the best method to publicize a book nowadays?

1) Delegate the "dirty jobs" to virtual assistants...set up jobs on elance (don't delegate the marketing )
2) Publicize in a number ways...do book reviews with a whiteboard like some other guy on YouTube who
has a lot of views...and then throw a quick non-salesy pitch to your book at the end of the videos

It's all the same thing...find a place where you can build up a "tribe"...and then sell them something...that's
how you make long term money online

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.