The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a step off the sidewalk?

Anything related to matters of the mind

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
An electronic musician that I very much admire had a show in my city today. I bought the ticket for $60 online the day it came out (months ago). I've always wanted to see him in person. God, I was dying to see the guy.

As today rolled around, I realized that I easily flip the ticket on the event's FB group, for about $20 profit. For some reason, driving all the way to the event, selling the ticket, shaking hands with the guy who bought it, and wishing him a good time felt more satisfying than any other show I've ever been to.

I know $20 is virtually nothing, and I missed out on seeing one of my favourite musicians, but I feel somehow stronger knowing that I overcame my desire for instant gratification and gave another person a chance to see the artist live. He sincerely thanked me for "saving his a$$". And I made $20.

Is this a step off the sidewalk? Because I feel like it is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
First Off, Welcome To The Forum, Dmitriy. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading the book that brought many of us to this community, and changed a lot of our lives; The Millionaire Fastlane. After reading that book, I would suggest reading many of the posts around the forums (especially the GOLD posts), to further your knowledge.

Everyone needs some small victories to start
, even if it's not a lot of profit. How much in gas did you spend, and how long did it take to get to the event (to sell the ticket) and back home? These two factors (time and money spent in the event of selling the ticket) subtract from that $20, and give you your Net Profit. One of my small victories some years ago, was when I was into DJing. I had bought a DJM-800 mixer for $700 off of Kijiji (Canadian craigslist), had used it for a couple days before realising I did not have the money to be throwing around for things like this. I promptly threw an ad up, and later that week sold the mixer for $800. Now, I had to drive an hour and a half to the buyer's location and back home, but I still made a profit, and it was a small win for me.

In the fastlane, you can see any musician, in any country, at any time. The best part, is that the one performance you watch does not cost 6 hours of your life working a minimum wage job.

You used self control to stop yourself from spending time you don't have, and instead, at the last minute, decided to look at your ticket as an investment, instead of a luxury. It paid off, and you made a profit. You had something that someone else needed/wanted (an item in demand).

That's definitely a step off the sidewalk. There are tons of Artists I would personally love to see right now, and many of them come to my city often. However, I look at the full picture and realise that one night out = 2 days of work (16 hours of working) to account for that night out. 2 days of work JUST so I can get back the money I already have. I would much rather put my time and money into creating value that sells itself, then I'll eventually have all the Ice Cream I can eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
I wouldn't suggest ticket touting as a sustainable business. If you wanted to do it as a hustle you would be better off selling electronic tickets on eBay rather then driving to the venue.

I knew someone that went to the world cup in Japan, he asked anyone he knew to try and get tickets for him and he paid them $80 for their help. He took a shed load of tickets to Japan and sold them all for hugely inflated prices, he had about $50,000 on him. The problem was he couldn't go into a bank in Japan and cash the money in. He found a car dealership that would take his cash and he imported some cars to the UK, via New Zealand. When the cars finally came in he had no end of issues with them, someone broke into one and he couldn't get the glass replaced as it was an imported car, same with the alloys that got damaged in transport.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I get what you're saying. This is an important mental switch. You went from thinking like a consumer to thinking like a producer.
This is important, regardless of the fact you didn't turn any profit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
First Off, Welcome To The Forum, Dmitriy. If you haven't already, I would suggest reading the book that brought many of us to this community, and changed a lot of our lives; The Millionaire Fastlane. After reading that book, I would suggest reading many of the posts around the forums (especially the GOLD posts), to further your knowledge.

Everyone needs some small victories to start
, even if it's not a lot of profit. How much in gas did you spend, and how long did it take to get to the event (to sell the ticket) and back home? These two factors (time and money spent in the event of selling the ticket) subtract from that $20, and give you your Net Profit. One of my small victories some years ago, was when I was into DJing. I had bought a DJM-800 mixer for $700 off of Kijiji (Canadian craigslist), had used it for a couple days before realising I did not have the money to be throwing around for things like this. I promptly threw an ad up, and later that week sold the mixer for $800. Now, I had to drive an hour and a half to the buyer's location and back home, but I still made a profit, and it was a small win for me.

In the fastlane, you can see any musician, in any country, at any time. The best part, is that the one performance you watch does not cost 6 hours of your life working a minimum wage job.

You used self control to stop yourself from spending time you don't have, and instead, at the last minute, decided to look at your ticket as an investment, instead of a luxury. It paid off, and you made a profit. You had something that someone else needed/wanted (an item in demand).

That's definitely a step off the sidewalk. There are tons of Artists I would personally love to see right now, and many of them come to my city often. However, I look at the full picture and realise that one night out = 2 days of work (16 hours of working) to account for that night out. 2 days of work JUST so I can get back the money I already have. I would much rather put my time and money into creating value that sells itself, then I'll eventually have all the Ice Cream I can eat.
Thank you Aidan! You post is full of great analysis and excellent motivation. And the link is extremely helpful, it started to completely change my mindset.

Are you into music production as well? Would love to chat about it sometime!

X 2.

Yup, and imagine how satisfied you'd feel if he was actually buying something you created? And later that day, 50 more people did as well?
That would be absolutely incredible... Just got past the CENTS framework in the book and it's giving me goosebumps. So much that I made the choice to get up before 6AM today and everyday to figure out exactly which markets I can provide value for with my current skillset.

And I can't remember the last time I ate lunch when most people are eating breakfast.. Thanks a ton MJ. I'll be thanking you later as well when I make my first $1.00 of value :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada

Please SEARCH before posting.