The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

University Bundles

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Hey @Twiizlar I am liking the effort you are putting forth!! I was wondering if you have thought about a certain type of linen bundles for certain types of people. For example, as a college student myself, I have seen my friends get Star Wars, Harry Potter, Galaxy Cat, etc sheets as a joke but they actually use them. Almost every girl has a super bright, extra shot of princess type sheets haha it would most certainly draw in the college crowd and help with marketing. I am going to continue to watch this thread. Don't give up!

P.S. it is college, and I did not see any shot glasses in those bundles :)
Haha i like that idea! I will look into implementing that later as my current focus is one selling the current bundles.

And i will be adding more bundles as time goes on! I guess a party bundle will have to be included ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Update:

Changed around my website. The original "order now" form looked ugly. Also my pricing page was ugly. I decided to just go with woocommerce.
yftrgJg.png
I also added some necessary product details. I feel like these are very important
6qmyjot.png
As for marketing, I joined numerous "class of 2019" facebook pages (my exact target market). Posted in about 30 of them. Still waiting to get into 50+.
cMH8wQW.png
I got a little creative with my email marketing. I found a email directory for my university where i could look up names and get their .edu email. This one took awhile. I found names on my university "class of 2019" facebook page. It was very tedious and annoying because a fourth of the names were not registered (students who decided to go to other schools). I have only gone through all names starting with the letter "A" . I will work on this as time goes on. I gathered about 320 .edu email adresses for my university for the incoming freshman. I feel like this is the best marketing since typically these students check their email everyday for university purposes. Open rate isnt high since i sent this at night. Will be higher tomorrow.
2SeqU9I.jpg
Overall in the past 2 days I have gotten 1700 sessions with 5400 page views.
analytics.png

Still no sales. With 1700 sessions from my target market. Maybe there isnt a need? Maybe they have to think it over since its a high priced item? Maybe they want to wait until its closer to move-in to order? Maybe its the website? Maybe i am impatient? Maybe I am overthinking it?

Either way im still going full force with this. Collecting those .edu emails is a grind but im going to keep grinding. Hopefully in the future I can hire someone on odesk to do it but for now im tight on cash.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I dont get it. Someone posted a link to the guys in the UK who did this and failed. Instead of improving their process you work on your website.

Also, you cant afford a $10 SSL certificate, but you want to finance gaming consoles and flat screen tvs for broke college students?

Am I missing something here?

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
I like what you're doing here. It is really cool, and I see your vision. Many people here are telling you why it won't work. They are dogging on your process. Sure, it could probably be better. The best way is to LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE. Take their advice into consideration, implement it if necessary, and move on. If it doesn't work, try a different method. If that one doesn't work, try a different one. I think that you are on the right track, so just keep chugging. Don't give up on this idea, though. It's a good one. I am going to college next year, and I may consider renting from you. I'll pass your website along whenever I can. Good job man, keep it up!

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I like what you're doing here. It is really cool, and I see your vision. Many people here are telling you why it won't work. They are dogging on your process. Sure, it could probably be better. The best way is to LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE. Take their advice into consideration, implement it if necessary, and move on. If it doesn't work, try a different method. If that one doesn't work, try a different one. I think that you are on the right track, so just keep chugging. Don't give up on this idea, though. It's a good one. I am going to college next year, and I may consider renting from you. I'll pass your website along whenever I can. Good job man, keep it up!
Thanks man. This really helps!

The feedback I habe got is that it is priced too high. How do you feel about this?

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Thanks man. This really helps!

The feedback I habe got is that it is priced too high. How do you feel about this?
Some of it is, some of it seems fair. The gamer bundle is too high for the rental price, at least for me. I deal on Craigslist a lot, and a lot of the people that are buying or selling electronics and games are college kids. This helps me to conclude that a lot of college students buy used. If that's the case, you're going to have to price your products low enough to where there is a benefit over buying used, not just new. I think that the price would be good in this bundle if you could include a couple of games and a second controller, because who wants to play alone?

If I were to rent the electronics bundle, I would be okay with the price. However, I would probably say "Hey, I don't want the printer or the speaker, can I take those off? I'll never used them." Maybe you can include the speaker "free of charge when renting" and replace the printer with a laptop. I didn't see any laptops in your bundles and that is often one if the first things students buy.

I think that the accessories bundle is definitely too high. There is no way I'm going to pay that high of a mark up for those items based on convenience. Maybe you can include these items in other bundles as a "gift" but add a slight mark up so you still make money on them. I do not see this bundle being successful on its own.

I like the dorm essentials bundle. I think the $30 price point is a good one, but maybe you can add some soap and a toothbrush/tooth paste in there to make the deal seem more sweet. It feels like it is missing something.

What about an "All in One bundle"? Your site is built for convenience. Why not eliminate some clicks and a few dollars from the price with everything they'll need in one bundle?

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Just went on the page and I think its suspended/disabled already?
I guess you have decided to move on?

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Just went on the page and I think its suspended/disabled already?
I guess you have decided to move on?
Yeah I did. Got 2000 unique visitors from my target market and not even close to one sale. On to the next one!

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
You're writing copy now, right? Now that you've called it quits, fancy sharing with us all what you learned from this venture?

EDIT: Value proposition time— Give this community three lessons from this failure, and I'll double your rep bank on the spot ;)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.