The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calgary YYC Master Mind Group (I'm an MLM Liar)

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
D

DeletedUser394

Confirmed.

OP is a loser.

Spent the last 5 hours with @SlowlaneJay.

Had a great time, and he's got a VERY interesting niche business he's working on to say the least. Working hard at it too.

Story time: I told him a couple days ago that I'm heavily into biking. He said he didn't have one, but that he'd 'get one, no problem'. I assumed that meant he'd borrow it from a friend or something.. but nope, he literally went out and got a super cheap bike off of kijiji (craigslist) just for the ride.

He actually has the chance to flip it for more, he got a good deal on it. Hustling!

I feel bad though, I may have killed him from all the biking :(

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You know, you're actually right here. I've addressed your other comments with sarcasm, but I won't here.

Of all of your points, this was the most true. Maturity and self-confidence have been demons that I've battled for a long time. I feel like I've made some progress, but there's still a long road ahead of me.

I'd like to disagree here. These MLM people pray on those with no self confidence, people who sign up for mlms don't have the confidence in themselves that they can run their own business. They don't think they are good enough. They are sheep who follow the flock.

You clearly didnt have an issue with declining their offer, so the fact that you turned down this opportunity to run your own business and rely on yourself shows your maturity and self confidence.

Keep it up man, I commend you.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I'd like to disagree here. These MLM people pray on those with no self confidence, people who sign up for mlms don't have the confidence in themselves that they can run their own business. They don't think they are good enough. They are sheep who follow the flock.

You clearly didnt have an issue with declining their offer, so the fact that you turned down this opportunity to run your own business and rely on yourself shows your maturity and self confidence.

Keep it up man, I commend you.

Thanks. However, OP was right to call me out for my language and he has a point.

I was mad, I let my emotions get away from me, and I went into racial territory with my name-calling. Not the man I want to be, and he deserved an apology. Not apologizing would put me on his level.

Yeah, he was a liar, but I shouldn't have let that affect me (self-confidence). With better control of my emotions (maturity), I could have been more civil and taken a higher road. So in that regard, he was right.

I just feel like in 5 years if I were to look back, I'll wish I'd handled this with a cooler head.

But thank you for the commendation :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks. However, OP was right to call me out for my language and he has a point.

I was mad, I let my emotions get away from me, and I went into racial territory with my name-calling. Not the man I want to be, and he deserved an apology. Not apologizing would put me on his level.

Yeah, he was a liar, but I shouldn't have let that affect me (self-confidence). With better control of my emotions (maturity), I could have been more civil and taken a higher road. So in that regard, he was right.

I just feel like in 5 years if I were to look back, I'll wish I'd handled this with a cooler head.

But thank you for the commendation :)

Once you come to realize that life is a game to be played out on your terms, you tend to handle things with a cool head and steel resolve. There's an epic story elsewhere here on the forums where @Kak walked into the back warehouse of a shipping firm that was jacking him around, took a pallet of his inventory they were holding hostage, and wheeled it out the front door of their business into his waiting trailer. I was on the phone with him as he was driving his trailer away from the hijack. He was laughing. He was totally in control. He staged a heist of his own merchandise.

Life plays out to the degree that you let it. You either control it, or other people will try and control you.

Next time, when it feels like you want to explode on someone, you can smile instead. Life is a game, and you are the chessmaster. It started in that room with your realization that you are owned by nobody, and can literally do what ever the hell you want. Next time, this all plays out differently.

Purge the racial vocabulary from your mind, and your tongue forever. Life is too short.

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
@MJ DeMarco @Vigilante
Well im glad i found this thread. Im actually still sort of a part of an mlm myself. Not naming which one so yeah. I signed up when i was 18 and while i havent reached the level i wanted to reach, i did learn a llot of success principles being with the company. Min reason i stayed was because my mentor/upline was such a nice guy and always cared for his team. Of course now i left and after going to meetings 3 days a week i dont know what to do anymore.

I still have a strong work ethic and constantly educating myself while i go back to school online.(they told me to dropout of college) But really what im getting at is...

Is there a thread here for former mlmers that want to find a different path? If so can you please send me a link?

And if not, is it possible to have one?

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate it. I m in no way bashing the mlm company i was a part of but i just want to do something different.

Liovidal007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,000%
May 1, 2015
Hey guys, I did MLM for a couple of years. Its possible to generate some sort of income but the reality is that you have to become an MLM parasite. You gotta be 'that guy.' The one that people don't want around because of the uneasiness they feel around you and your never ending pitch. Then you gotta train others to be 'that guy' as well. Your new friends are basically your uplines and downlines and if you want to "be successful," forget spending time with anyone not in your company. Unless you're gonna pitch em.

Here's some quick tips to avoid being suckered into meetings.

1. Someone you haven't spoken to in a long time calls out of the blue, sounds a bit nervous and insist on meeting up with you since they want to "show you something" or "introduce you to someone VERY successful"

2. Someone approaches you at the mall and asks "Are you open to having extra sources of income" or "my business is expanding in this area and I'm looking for very sharp and open minded people. Are you sharp and open minded?" or the classic "If you could make $40,000 a month, what would you do with that money?"

3. First thing someone says while getting in contact with you is "I'm in a hurry and I can't go into too much detail but.....(tries to set up a random meeting)"

4. Someone you consider a distant acquaintance and never ever talk to, calls you to invite you to a "launch party"

5. The person that contacts you starts the conversation by complimenting you way too much. "I've always considered you to be an amazing leader, very sharp, extremely intelligent, etc etc"

There's a lot more but these are the most used tactics.

The best way to avoid wasting time and gas is to
1. Directly and happily (dont sound skeptical because then they'll BS you) ask, "is this a business opportunity?" Make it sound like you've been waiting all your life for a business opportunity so they don't hesitate to tell you how amazing it is.

2. If yes, ask "Awesome! Whats the name of the company?".

3. Google it.

Hope this helps you guys not get tricked into people's soon to be "multiTrillion" dollar company "opportunities"

Also, this is my first post =D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey guys, I did MLM for a couple of years. Its possible to generate some sort of income but the reality is that you have to become an MLM parasite. You gotta be 'that guy.' The one that people don't want around because of the uneasiness they feel around you and your never ending pitch. Then you gotta train others to be 'that guy' as well. Your new friends are basically your uplines and downlines and if you want to "be successful," forget spending time with anyone not in your company. Unless you're gonna pitch em.

Here's some quick tips to avoid being suckered into meetings.

1. Someone you haven't spoken to in a long time calls out of the blue, sounds a bit nervous and insist on meeting up with you since they want to "show you something" or "introduce you to someone VERY successful"

2. Someone approaches you at the mall and asks "Are you open to having extra sources of income" or "my business is expanding in this area and I'm looking for very sharp and open minded people. Are you sharp and open minded?" or the classic "If you could make $40,000 a month, what would you do with that money?"

3. First thing someone says while getting in contact with you is "I'm in a hurry and I can't go into too much detail but.....(tries to set up a random meeting)"

4. Someone you consider a distant acquaintance and never ever talk to, calls you to invite you to a "launch party"

5. The person that contacts you starts the conversation by complimenting you way too much. "I've always considered you to be an amazing leader, very sharp, extremely intelligent, etc etc"

There's a lot more but these are the most used tactics.

The best way to avoid wasting time and gas is to
1. Directly and happily (dont sound skeptical because then they'll BS you) ask, "is this a business opportunity?" Make it sound like you've been waiting all your life for a business opportunity so they don't hesitate to tell you how amazing it is.

2. If yes, ask "Awesome! Whats the name of the company?".

3. Google it.

Hope this helps you guys not get tricked into people's soon to be "multiTrillion" dollar company "opportunities"

Also, this is my first post =D

Great first post. Welcome.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
HA. I had an experience with someone who I suspected was up to something like this. I was in Barnes and Noble skimming some finance books, this guy in a suit walks up to me and says "anything I should be reading?" I initially thought he was security hassling me. I replied "Well, I can't speak for your preference but I'm reading a book about becoming a millionaire, only I skip all the fluffy shit and only take away the nuggets. In this books case I'm reading about mentors" and the guy looks blown away, asks what my name is. I give him a little background on myself, told him my name is Michael. "my dad's name is Michael and I also do auto sales". We chat a bit, exchange numbers. He did mention one thing that I found to be a hook: "I plan on retiring in a year"

What I didn't tell him was that my previous slowlane career field was investigation and fraud related. Knowing I'm not special, I immediately researched the guy extensively and everything he mentioned checked out. Works in auto sales, dad's name is Michael, etc. So I meet up with the guy just to hear him out, he starts talking about how he found a mentor, he's in a mentorship group, blah blah blah. His mentor is a millionaire and he wants me to meet again with him and his partner.

Although we spent most of the time talking about personal experience, I knew I was going to be eventually pitched something. I passed on the second meeting because shit like that doesn't just fall out of the sky. The guy was a good salesman, but not good enough when it comes to my paranoia

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
When you attack the boss, you get to deal with the minions.

Yeah. You get to deal with the minions.

Hey, wait. What?

I propose a new tag and code word... [HASHTAG]#CalgaryMastermind[/HASHTAG] -- the new synonym for an MLM.

You guys crack me up :hilarious: I laughed all the way through this thread. lol

I needed to laugh today. Thanks!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for closing the thread. Now all you have to do is delete my account. I don't see a "delete my account" option. But I am sure you do. Go ahead and delete that bad boy.

It will be at my pleasure.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump...

Just a reminder that if a new user comes to the forum and drops a "PM me for more info" it's usually a red flag that you're about to be hoodwinked into something else. Or at the very least, they're using the forum as a lead-channel for an MLM, $10K coaching class, or something else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.