The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here's why you should never forget what the C stands for in NECST

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Doesn't sound like there is a big "Need" with this. Maybe it's time for a product that has a bigger need and thereby drives me, the consumer, to buy it from your website and not Amazon (if it even exists on Amazon)? If the need is big enough, I'll forego the warm and fuzzy I get with ordering from Amazon and get it from your independent site instead.

The need is certainly there. I sell around £500,000 worth of power supplies and Laptop chargers each year. At that's with a lot of competition.
It's unfortunately not a product to get excited about and very difficult to market away from Ebay or Amazon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
The need is certainly there. I sell around £500,000 worth of power supplies and Laptop chargers each year. At that's with a lot of competition.
It's unfortunately not a product to get excited about and very difficult to market away from Ebay or Amazon.

You misunderstood. I have ZERO need to buy this from YOU. As per:

As you explained above there is no reason why you would purchase from my site instead of Amazon.

My only suggestion was to think about a different product, or even a better USP with the same product (maybe a bundle?), that has a need for me to buy it from YOU. Again...

If the need is big enough, I'll forego the warm and fuzzy I get with ordering from Amazon and get it from your independent site instead.

I posted my notes from CENTS, here's some from the "Need" section that resonate:
Solve needs massively and money attracts.

Offer the world value [needs] and money becomes magnetized to you.

Businesses that provide value [needs] win.

Again... What value do YOU provide that nobody else does? Why do I need to buy this product from YOU?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thank you, i understand completely now.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
The customer/consumer always has the upper hand when it comes to ebay and amazon. Treat the customers like gold, and you will still disappoint some.

My customer service is insanely ridiculous on Amazon for this reason. I will do almost anything to prevent a negative review or feedback. Instant refunds or replacements, no questions asked. My one product I even go a step further and have as part of my guarantee an offer to buy them a competitor's product after refunding them. When they have you by the balls, you gotta tread lightly.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I like the idea of mailers with a % off code and your website listed, then you could have some type of rewards plan for each purchase even if it's for a small amount to hook them in. You'd likely have to build your product base from power supplies to other electronics that are more repeatable buys. So long as you pick up more volume it can make up for the slim margins. If you start getting people to your website more you can up sell to different products you might not have on Amazon then won't have to worry about price as much.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Update. Two days now since my account was suspended. Amazon requested further information on steps to prevent customers saying the products were not compatible. Sent it over 24 hours ago. I really felt like typing "That's because they're F*cking idiots and have purchased the wrong one!" but anyway i bit my lip and sent over a long list of steps i will do.

I have sent a further email this morning to amazon seller performance to see if there's anything else i can do blah blah.
Two days income lost far and the waiting continues.......

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
King's Lynn, United Kingdom.
Paul - Totally agree.

I sell £20-30k P/M on Amazon - Split between UK,EU,USA,CA & now JP. - I've had a problem before with one of my products which resulted in an email, removal of the specified listing and ten's of thousand of pounds worth of stock sitting in my warehouse with my largest sales channel (responsible for 80% of my sales) down.

Although, as always, you can find positive in these moments. I removed the product in question and eliminated it from my business - This has now paid dividends in relation to where I put the capital allocated to this product to use.

I guess the only blessing in a situation like the one you mention is the separate accounts for these different Amazon sites. USA, UK - different accounts etc.

The key is diversify, diversify, diversify... Even though it's tempting to cruise along when the easy money is coming in on Amazon. Thank you for the stark reminder.

I sincerely wish you good luck, I'm sure you'll be reinstated :)

Simon

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Sounds remarkably similar to when I was generating 100% of my living expenses from a niche SEO site I created...then Google slapped away 25% of my traffic.

Keep your head up man. You'll find a way to move on.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I have been looking at ways to grow my business in the light of this unfortunate situation. I've taken on board a lot of comments including @Vigilante on another post saying he only sources products to sell that no one else is selling. I'm also going to look for a product that there is a greater "need" for as @Weaponize suggested.

In addition to that my current business model is based on reading product manuals and conducting a lot of research into what the power supply requirements are for electronic devices. I'm sure however there are thousands of searches done by customers each day looking for power supplies that nobody has yet to resell because they don't know what that particular product requires. If i could come up with a way of finding these customers and sourcing/providing that power supply i'm sure i could make a lot of money that way.

The key is getting the product to market first.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You already know the hard parts, which are how to market, and how to source. You have the systems in place. You are light years ahead of most people.

Now, you plug in a winning product or two (doesn't have to be thousands of skus) and BOOM.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
You already know the hard parts, which are how to market, and how to source. You have the systems in place. You are light years ahead of most people.

Now, you plug in a winning product or two (doesn't have to be thousands of skus) and BOOM.

Spot on. I'm part of Amazing Selling Machine and there are people on there making a lot of money from Amazon (mainly USA) which i'm happily not suspended from. These people had never sold anything before online before they started also. I've imported and sold millions of pounds worth albeit from one product niche but i simply haven't taken action from what i've learned on the course and from reading this forum.

People say things happen for a reason. Maybe this is one of them. I'll let you all know how i get on with Amazon UK but in the meantime i'm off to source some new products.......

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Spot on. I'm part of Amazing Selling Machine and there are people on there making a lot of money from Amazon (mainly USA) which i'm happily not suspended from. These people had never sold anything before online before they started also. I've imported and sold millions of pounds worth albeit from one product niche but i simply haven't taken action from what i've learned on the course and from reading this forum.

People say things happen for a reason. Maybe this is one of them. I'll let you all know how i get on with Amazon UK but in the meantime i'm off to source some new products.......

I wish I could bottle your response and have newbies drink from it. This is how you win. I look forward to meeting you on a beach a few years from now. Go get 'em.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Well after 8 days of pain, i'm extremely pleased to say that my Amazon account has been reinstated. I've still got no idea what i did wrong but i'm back (for now at least). It will serve as a severe warning to not rely on Amazon, spread your eggs out everybody. It could happen to you.

Hello,

Based on the information provided, your Amazon selling privileges have been reinstated and the hold on the funds in your account has been removed.

This decision is subject to your Plan of Action to comply with our condition guidelines and detail page rules.

For information about our policies, visit the "Policies and Agreements" section of Seller Central Help. Future violations of our policies or a failure to adhere to your Plan of Action may result in the permanent removal of your selling privileges.

Welcome back to selling on Amazon; we wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Seller Performance Team Amazon Services

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Its a shame how the biggest lessons are learnt the hard way, not only in business, but life in general.

Amazon by fullfillment and eBay are a great way to start the importing game. but fastlaners should always be looking to spread out to there own ecommerce sites and offline sources.

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
King's Lynn, United Kingdom.
Great news Paul, I'm glad for you! :)

What did you say in your letter to Amazon appealing the decision? It must have been good ;)

Cheers,

Simon

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Well after 8 days of pain, i'm extremely pleased to say that my Amazon account has been reinstated. I've still got no idea what i did wrong but i'm back (for now at least). It will serve as a severe warning to not rely on Amazon, spread your eggs out everybody. It could happen to you.

Hello,

Based on the information provided, your Amazon selling privileges have been reinstated and the hold on the funds in your account has been removed.

This decision is subject to your Plan of Action to comply with our condition guidelines and detail page rules.

For information about our policies, visit the "Policies and Agreements" section of Seller Central Help. Future violations of our policies or a failure to adhere to your Plan of Action may result in the permanent removal of your selling privileges.

Welcome back to selling on Amazon; we wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Seller Performance Team Amazon Services

Sounds like ignorance on the customer end OR a competitor trying to screw you over, like negative seo in the search engine world. Amazon should do a better job of weeding those out to protect sellers from such cases.

Glad to hear things panned out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey Vigilante, thanks for that link, which lead on to this equally amazing story...

http://www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/fba-private-label-will-tjernlund/

That's a great success story. However, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing Amazon held all the cards. Doesn't make it any less inspiring though.

Found this in the comment.... those darned GURUS!!

Thoroughly enjoyed your insight. I wish I had come across this article long before I got swindled out of $1000 to attend “Amzon Riches” seminar. The money was for a so-called 3day course on how to get started with selling on Amazon. What it turned out to be was a 3day long commercial sales pitch that, at the end, set the attendees up to cattled into purchasing a so-called “Amazon Boot Camp” course which costs $15,000! Since then, I have just been trying to find someone honest to help me get started selling my custom made items via FBA/Private label. I am now 3mnths paid Amazon seller with not even 1 itme listed because I dont know what the next step is. Im hoping that you will have some workshops or lectures for newbies like me. Any help that is honest is greatly appreciated.

Read more: http://www.webretailer.com/lean-commerce/fba-private-label-will-tjernlund/#ixzz3e5juStjx

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.