The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non-compete agreements. Your opinion?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

maxlane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 12, 2013
This applies a lot to working as a "consultant" through an agency or even being employed by some company for some time. And as far as I know also even more often to being a hired CEO who has access to a lot of "secrets" that are vital to the company.

It is the non-compete agreement. Personally I feel I never ever want to sign such things because my personal take on it is that I never would want to hurt my clients anyway. Quite the contrary, I feel it could happen the other way around - I feel that these agreements that are so standard in most "employment" contracts are simply limiting. Of course, where I live, such an agreement has to be reasonable in order to even stand in court should the company try to act on it.

How would one go about negotiating a non-compete so that it does not limit future opportunities? Is it reasonable to just walk away if they refuse to change it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I'd say look into it if it comes up. Fifteen or so years ago NC agreements were automatically invalid by law (in some locations) if they interfered with the person's normal way of earning income. In other words, a company could not demand that a freelance copywriter they hired will not write sales copy for other companies.

As with anything in business: be informed. Never sign something without reading it and never agree to something that completely screws you over.

P.S. I'm not a lawyer nor responsible for you, your actions or your reading comprehension levels...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I just enforced an agreement with an ex R&D employee who I found out got hired by a large competitor. Kept the person out of the business for 2 yrs, at a cost of 100k in legal expenses. Justice is expensive.

Damage Inc.

There's no return from 86
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
I just enforced an agreement with an ex R&D employee who I found out got hired by a large competitor. Kept the person out of the business for 2 yrs, at a cost of 100k in legal expenses. Justice is expensive.

Who paid the legal fees, the employee or the other company?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Who paid the legal fees, the employee or the other company?

My company paid. The employee lied to the hiring company so they didn't know about the employment agreement. As soon as we sent them a letter they halted employment and later turned over "all" (probably most and redacted some juicy stuff) documents/emails. The ex-employee has little money, can't get at home equity, and would have filed for bankruptcy so we would have spent thousands to collect nothing. We left collections open in case employee wins the lottery. Oh, the employee did pay $1,000.

LESSON: the best money spent on legal is upfront. Getting the best agreements/contracts you can get upfront for a few hundred bucks, sure beats tens of thousands on the back end. We had a decent agreement and still had to spend to enforce however. Many entrepreneurs skimp out paying upfront for a solid agreement ( i have a time or two in the past) and craft their own, or let the other party pay to draft something. Big mistake.

Also, trust your gut feeling on people. If they don't seem trustworthy, or have good character, even an agreement won't prevent having major problems either.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.