The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's time to get my shit together; sell eBooks

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
WTF X 2. This crap makes this forum look bad, really doesn't belong here
I don't think it's as money-chasing as it sounds. It's a trap I see a lot of people get sucked into.

It starts with them reading about marketing (because they're interested in starting a biz). At that point, the thing they're most passionate about and the thing they can recite at the drop of a hat is marketing (after all, it's what they've been reading nonstop for months). It's the thing that, at the moment, makes the most sense to them. They figure they can repackage what they've learned into something useful.

It's really the simple mistake of choosing something they're passionate about (at the moment) rather than something that they can bring unique value to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I have to disagree.

It's 100% money chasing.

Had he learned about marketing, implemented a few campaigns and put his own creativity into them AND THEN shared those results... I would be inclined to say you have a point.

He literally read 2 e-books about IM and decided that it would be easy to just copy what those e-books said to make money (since he doesn't have any).

The reason he is getting such a strong response to his plan is because anyone who has been in the trenches, has any kind of track record or currently runs a business KNOWS there was almost no work done on his part.

I don't think it's as money-chasing as it sounds. It's a trap I see a lot of people get sucked into.

It starts with them reading about marketing (because they're interested in starting a biz). At that point, the thing they're most passionate about and the thing they can recite at the drop of a hat is marketing (after all, it's what they've been reading nonstop for months). It's the thing that, at the moment, makes the most sense to them. They figure they can repackage what they've learned into something useful.

It's really the simple mistake of choosing something they're passionate about (at the moment) rather than something that they can bring unique value to.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Thread summation...

I'm going to sell an ebook on list marketing and list building... I have no list and don't know how to market. OK GOT IT!
I'm going to sell an ebook on how to make money and I'm broke. OK GOT IT!

WTF X 2. This crap makes this forum look bad, really doesn't belong here. This isn't entrepreneurship, but simple money-chasing internet-marketing schemes.

Sorry, but I can't be encouraging. I wouldn't expect anyone to encourage me if I confessed I was writing a book about my life as an astronaut.

This forum had been veering toward schoolboy money chasing methods... less wisdom less members who been there done that..or they arent speaking up...

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
This forum had been veering toward schoolboy money chasing methods.

I wouldn't blame the forum for it. It's not MJ's fault nor the fault of the mods. I actually admire the 3 musketeers for putting up with the insanity.

Most of the problems in government, communities and business of late, stem from a growing tide of selfishness. We’ve forgotten that we’re in this together, that it’s not just about me and mine.

It seems that our form of economic capitalism doesn’t understand that the purpose of money, investment, jobs, and so forth is to make a contribution to our society. Instead we’ve embraced a philosophy of self-enrichment, often at the expense of others, and certainly at the expense of quality of life and our physical world.

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Okay, I'm not doing this anymore, so you guys can stop telling me not to do it, I GOT IT THANKS. Now.... I'm not sure what to focus on, but I'll think about it, and let you guys what I decide soon...

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
@Timbonitus didnt you say your had experience from freelancing?

You said you had a kind of unique way of finding clients through their websites.

About 8 million people (or more) are looking for work through elance-odesk. A majority of them are complaining about the lack of jobs and how to get an employment.

I'm sure you can expand your knowledge and if you can sell an ebook/course/audio/membership site etc. to 1000 of those 0,0125% of all freelancers (only on that site) for, say $17, that's $17,000 in your pocket and 1,000 ready to buy clients on your email list.

Now you're not directly teaching how to make money, but how to find jobs. I can think of several follow up products to this already.

Timbonitus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for the idea. I thought about that but, then again, I don't think I have the experience to write a book on that topic yet; I'm not a super successful freelance writer or anything...

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I wouldn't blame the forum for it. It's not MJ's fault nor the fault of the mods. I actually admire the 3 musketeers for putting up with the insanity.

Most of the problems in government, communities and business of late, stem from a growing tide of selfishness. We’ve forgotten that we’re in this together, that it’s not just about me and mine.

It seems that our form of economic capitalism doesn’t understand that the purpose of money, investment, jobs, and so forth is to make a contribution to our society. Instead we’ve embraced a philosophy of self-enrichment, often at the expense of others, and certainly at the expense of quality of life and our physical world.

Thats a part of it of course, and the other issue is something I've noted long before we even had INSIDERS. As any forum gets bigger, the quality goes down.

This is still the best forum for business and action taking!

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
Lol, it's just a bad idea guys, I know that now. People have bad ideas every once in awhile.
Make sure you work on something more productive & keep us posted about it! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
@Timbonitus didnt you say your had experience from freelancing?

You said you had a kind of unique way of finding clients through their websites.

About 8 million people (or more) are looking for work through elance-odesk. A majority of them are complaining about the lack of jobs and how to get an employment.

I'm sure you can expand your knowledge and if you can sell an ebook/course/audio/membership site etc. to 1000 of those 0,0125% of all freelancers (only on that site) for, say $17, that's $17,000 in your pocket and 1,000 ready to buy clients on your email list.

Now you're not directly teaching how to make money, but how to find jobs. I can think of several follow up products to this already.

Top down approaches never work ("If I could just sell to 1% of this market, or 0.0001% of all people on earth, or if I could snag 0.05% of the total market share, I'd be rich!). I go into detail on this here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...avor-to-make-100-000-month.52983/#post-373759

X sales per day at $Y will help him focus instead of randomly trying to grab dollars out of thin air. Otherwise you have made great points in this thread and I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Top down approaches

and

X sales per day at $Y

to me are are very similar. Both of these approaches have the
same goal - to analyze and ferret out something.

And saying

Top down approaches never work

is clearly not true.

A top-down approach means to break down a system, much like reversed engineering. One could say you
look at a system and then start breaking it down to discover its components. You then start to identify each
sub-system and document each one of them. The goal is to reduce each sub-system into its core elements.

You basically start with what you see and break it down to smaller components.

Why?

Because you don't always have the luxury and knowledge first-hand to understand
what each system is built upon. You don't know all the core elements.

However, when learning about something new I can agree that a bottom-up approach might be
more suitable. IF you have the path laid out, such as a curriculum or a way to follow.

I belive a top down approach (applied to this very situation) is bad because it will resonate with
information overload. A more structured way is preferred. To actually define the audience etc.

There are more heuristic explanations of the two approach-techniques so forgive me
for not expressing their full character here.

I do give you full credit for pointing out that my analysis has major flaws.
It is like saying: "If every person on this planet gave me $1..."

So again, forgive me. My top-down approach does need more work,
but so does yours.

top_down.gif

I must say kudos to you for pointing out my mistake. I never meant to
lead OP on a path of misconception.​

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston

Indeed, it can get much more complicated than the nature of this thread requires. Never is never a word to use, so I was definitely over-assumptive in my language there. A solid process-oriented top down approach is different from throwing darts at a board with a blindfold on, but I do believe you were just showing how easy it is to get a piece of a market because its so big. The opportunity is out there. Carpe diem.

But to get back to the point, your other post which is gold, laying out the 10 steps - that is spot on. Reread that OP.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.