The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paypal stealing copyrights for using their services

Marketing, social media, advertising

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Comes up every now and again. Don't know the exact details but they need copyright ownership to be able to host materialon there servers. It's just to protect themselves

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Sure, Paypal is going to steal everyone's' business, and they will do it with terms of service, like they can't even handle their own shit, they will also handle others.

I'll stop accepting Paypal right away, why on earth would I accept a payment method that >50% of my potential customers use?

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
sublicensable

Sounds like they're saying "you're giving us a license to display the I.P. you give us" in other words, "you can't sue us for using the I.P. you upload for display."

I'm not a lawyer, curious what the law people think. @Y.B. @Esquire @Vigilante (I know you're not I.P. attorneys, but you know how to read legalese.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm not a lawyer, curious what the law people think. @Y.B. @Esquire @Vigilante (I know you're not I.P. attorneys, but you know how to read legalese.

I agree...and as M.J. said on the other thread, I don't see them displaying any content. Transactions yes, but content and photographs? Whenever I've bought anything through pay pal, I haven't read anyone's content or look at photographs. I've only read an invoice. Although, they do have their shopping section where companies are listed, that I never use. And sorry, didn't see the other thread. I suppose worst thing that could happen is everyone leaves pay pal. Writers, photographers, artists, etc. Are just passing it around and questioning it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When you are a vendor of Walmarts, you sign a contract. The contract enables them to take your firstborn children. They don't. It is in place moreso in the event that you sued them vs. them wanting to do anything to you.

When you are on Facebook, you agree to sign your entire rights over to your personal everything over to Facebook. Facebook, unlike Walmart, actually encroaches on confidentiality by selling your information to advertisers.

With Paypal, in the event that they ever started to encroach on your personal or intellectual property, it would be game over for them. People would flee their platform. We have zero brand loyalty to payment processing systems. Facebook is integrating a mobile wallet into their platform --- probably inherently more risky than Paypal.

We've entered an era in which user terms for websites contained within the subscription agreements are "clicl through" legalese that protects the platform owner. Did you know that this forum (the Fast Lane Forum) used to say that anything you posted here was then the property of the company that owned this forum? MJ then removed that, because he's 100% transparent and he didn't want to be "one of them."

Everywhere you turn, this issue exists. It's not exclusive to Paypal. Do you use Google? Google is nefarious. Amazon? I wonder what is in the Amazon merchant subscription agreement. I bet it's deadly.

Bottom line is in the modern era, you can't escape it. It's not as if you can negotiate terms with paypal. The best you can do is not use it. People said that originally about Facebook, but then we still post pictures of our babies on there. It's a risk/reward exchange. If the risk exceeds the reward, you bail. If the reward is greater than the risk, you stay.

Ethan X

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 2, 2015
I read an explanation for this a few days ago. Basically they aren't taking your copyrights for using their service. Their terms of service read that you are giving them "non-exclusive licensing rights in perpetuity." Basically what that means is that you are licensing them to make copies of your product. They need this right so that you can't sue them for doing their job (aka accepting payments for your copyrighted material). These rights are non-exclusive, meaning that you can license your product to other people while licensing it to them. You still own your copyrighted material.

Full disclosure: I'm not a lawyer. This is just what I've read.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It's a risk/reward exchange. If the risk exceeds the reward, you bail. If the reward is greater than the risk, you stay.

Yes...I agree there's no way to escape certain things on certain platforms. And like you said, it's our choice to participate or not. Thanks for making it more understandable. :) I would have to agree, if they did start taking people's content, I can see everyone bailing quite quickly from their services.

G

GuestUser113

When you are a vendor of Walmarts, you sign a contract. The contract enables them to take your firstborn children. They don't. It is in place moreso in the event that you sued them vs. them wanting to do anything to you.

When you are on Facebook, you agree to sign your entire rights over to your personal everything over to Facebook. Facebook, unlike Walmart, actually encroaches on confidentiality by selling your information to advertisers.

With Paypal, in the event that they ever started to encroach on your personal or intellectual property, it would be game over for them. People would flee their platform. We have zero brand loyalty to payment processing systems. Facebook is integrating a mobile wallet into their platform --- probably inherently more risky than Paypal.

We've entered an era in which user terms for websites contained within the subscription agreements are "clicl through" legalese that protects the platform owner. Did you know that this forum (the Fast Lane Forum) used to say that anything you posted here was then the property of the company that owned this forum? MJ then removed that, because he's 100% transparent and he didn't want to be "one of them."

Everywhere you turn, this issue exists. It's not exclusive to Paypal. Do you use Google? Google is nefarious. Amazon? I wonder what is in the Amazon merchant subscription agreement. I bet it's deadly.

Bottom line is in the modern era, you can't escape it. It's not as if you can negotiate terms with paypal. The best you can do is not use it. People said that originally about Facebook, but then we still post pictures of our babies on there. It's a risk/reward exchange. If the risk exceeds the reward, you bail. If the reward is greater than the risk, you stay.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
I'm amazed at the amount of people that see a headline or watch a video and then title their post "paypal stealing copyrights for using their services" or something ridiculous. I think it 1) gives a bad impression to people who are less informed and is wrong and 2) Is not what paypal are doing and you should refer to a lawyer on the matter instead of looking like an idiot on here.

Sorry if this sounds rude but the truth can't always be sugar coated.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm amazed at the amount of people that see a headline or watch a video and then title their post "paypal stealing copyrights for using their services" or something ridiculous. I think it 1) gives a bad impression to people who are less informed and is wrong and 2) Is not what paypal are doing and you should refer to a lawyer on the matter instead of looking like an idiot on here.

Question everything. This was not a stupid question, and nobody should run to an attorney every time they have a question about something.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Question everything. This was not a stupid question, and nobody should run to an attorney every time they have a question about something.

My point was not that someone shouldn't ask a question but was that someone should do some research on their question before hand, like reading a proper article as to why paypal may have changed it...there are numerous site's that can help like a Lawyer's forum? And even then....there was a post on the forum a couple of days ago about the same thing in which people replied with logical explanations.

Its pure laziness in my opinion and on a forum like this...its ironic. Anyways thats my opinion and people will have theirs.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You do realize that its more profitable for PayPal to take a cut out of 30-50% of all transactions on the interwebs than to steal your pathetic little multi-million dollar business, right?

If not, you should worry about other things than PayPal's new ToS. Like, for example, your general business sense.

Bullshit videos and blog posts like the above (which I didnt read or watch) are, not surprisingly, authored by broke bloggers with nothing else to do.

So, do you want to be a broke blogger bitching about PayPal or do you want to provide your customers a 2-click payment option that will dramatically increase your sales?

Your choice. Judging from your post, you already made yours.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm sure at some point in your life time you've been idiot, asked a question and didn't know the answer. And some kind soul answered your question. And why waste my money on a lawyer for a question and fill his pockets with money, when I can get the answer on the forum from Vigilante and I know he has credibility and a wise man. I suppose I put my faith in wise men that I've listened to his advice, rather then just picking any lawyer that I don't know. I can think of better things to do with my money then hand a lawyer few hundred dollars to answer a simple question that wasn't really a life or death situation. I think I would have been more of idiot wasting my money on a lawyer. If it was more of a pressing issue a lawyer would be necessary. I don't tend to go to lawyers until it's of great importance.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
I'm sure at some point in your life time you've been idiot, asked a question and didn't know the answer. And some kind soul answered your question. And why waste my money on a lawyer for a question and fill his pockets with money, when I can get the answer on the forum from Vigilante and I know he has credibility and a wise man. I suppose I put my faith in wise men that I've listened to his advice, rather then just picking any lawyer that I don't know. I can think of better things to do with my money then hand a lawyer few hundred dollars to answer a simple question that wasn't really a life or death situation. I think I would have been more of idiot wasting my money on a lawyer. If it was more of a pressing issue a lawyer would be necessary. I don't tend to go to lawyers until it's of great importance.

I tend to do my research before I ask a question to avoid those situations. Also if you think the only way of getting advice from a Lawyer is by paying money you're definitely not using the free resources provided to you.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
images

Please get off your high horse. Anyone that knows me knows I do plenty of research. I did do research before I asked. Ignorance is bliss. You assume you know what I do or don't do. You assume out of your stupidity that just because someone asks a simple question they aren't as smart as you. The only one having a problem with this question is you. The question was already answered. Move on get on with your life.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Please get off your high horse. Anyone that knows me knows I do plenty of research. I did do research before I asked. Ignorance is bliss. You assume you know what I do or don't do. You assume out of your stupidity that just because someone asks a simple question they aren't as smart as you. The only one having a problem with this question is you. The question was already answered. Move on get on with your life.
59d.jpg

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
as some others said, of course paypal couldn't do this today, but they are not writing these new policies for today, they are writing them for years in the future under the corporate dictatorship you and I are all helping to build

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Contracts imo, always look a bit dubious, they try to be covered in case of a suit against themselves, or in cases of abuse of their services.

Sometimes the internet takes things like that out of context and paint it a little red. But it is of course important to be cautious, and observant.

I don't know why kingsta is saying "things can't be sugar coated", I think its an easy worry to have when it comes to them assuming property of anything of yours.
It makes sense to have a cautious mind.

It seems fine to me for now (after checking it out some more), but Paypal has been really lackluster ever since Elon sold it. I could really use a better system, from a sharp guy like him again.

I think old Paypal and new Paypal are very different. And it is a little scary to see that happen to what was such a reliable service.

PSK

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 18, 2013
UK
Sounds like they're saying "you're giving us a license to display the I.P. you give us" in other words, "you can't sue us for using the I.P. you upload for display."

Spot on.

Essentially, the user is granting Paypal a licence to use content. Interesting, the licence wording also allows Paypal to create sub-licences out of this (i.e. it can licence others to exercise the same rights).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.